My Name Is Ed - Cover

My Name Is Ed

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 42

Ed Rollins retired Sheriffs deputy sergeant.-132 Divorced with one son
John Rollins Ed’s son who graduated from law school. A bookworm.
Lynne Rollins Ed’s ex-wife who never married again
Alma Bishop widow of Amos Bishop and owner of old country store.
Sally the widow Bishop’s daughter.
David the contractor
Son Perkins a moonshiner from the hills of Tennessee
The stove man MIKE liquor supplier.
Jesse orange he was a shiner in Arkansas
Linda, Barry, and Megan the family Abrams Ed babysat.
Lois Smyth detective 1st class
Jeremy Ed former partner
Patrol Deputy Patty Purcell
Michael Everheart bar manager lucky13
JD enforcer
Clive McMasters known money man.
Porter John law partner and maybe lover.
Chief Deputy Malloy second in command
Jen social worker for the county.
Sam Delray head of child protective services.
Lucinda mercer volunteer.
Tommy Simpson another volunteer
Mary Beth Williams the third vol
Michael Williams Mary Beth’s very gentle husband also helped.
Amos sheriff’s researcher.
Gerome videographer.
Jamie our first star and Tommy grandson\\
Maurine Thomas friend of Mary Beth’s friend from her days working in the county social services office ... Maurine had a son named Eddie enrolled in Old Miss univ.
Rufus and his daughter the owner of the Mississippi Sandhill Crane


A lot of shit happened between Tuesday and Friday. I wasn’t really prepared for it, nor was our little team. By five on Friday I was knee deep in decisions which I needed to make on the spot. Some of them I had to make alone, but some I was going to share.

The first one I heard from was Rufus Brown. It was actually from his daughter and it was the first thing I had to decide alone. I hadn’t even finished my morning coffee when the call came in.

“We have decided to sell, if you will pay $7,500 Dollars,” she said.

“Alright. but not one damned cent more,” I said angrily. “I’ll try to get back with you today on when we can transfer ownership.” I said it then hung up abruptly.

I called John immediately. I had researched the land deed records and found there was a tax lean on the property of $800. I knew that was going to have to be paid before the clerk of court would register a new deed. I called John and asked him for a rush job on getting it ready to close.

“I’m going to charge someone $500,” he said seriously.

“How about a friends and family discount?” I asked.

“That is the family discount,” John said. “Plan on next Friday. I’ll call and give you the exact figures on Tuesday. You need to give the present owner the bad news, before we draw the new deed. They are going to have at least $1,300 dollars in closing cost for the transfer. They might want to change their mind, or at least try to renegotiate.”

“I’ll take care of it,” I said.

I called Rufus back and explained to him personally. He told me that he understood the tax lien, but he though I should pay for the new deed. We did a little song and dance, but in the end I agreed.

I called John back before noon to tell him that we were a go for the next Friday. I also mentioned the arrangements with Rufus. John agreed with me it was still risky but we could withhold the $800 from the purchase price. He told me to bring a certified check for $6.700 made to Rufus Brown.

“I’ll take mine and the tax lien in cash,” he said.

“You know my check is good,” I said acting all hurt and shit.

“If you would rather run it through the bank, that’s fine,” he said with a laugh.

“Cash is fine,” I agreed willingly.

It was after one when I called Lucinda’s Gym. “Yes Lucinda is Gerome in. I need to find out where we are on the commercial, or whatever you are calling it.”

“It’s a go fund me web page. We are hoping to make a few bucks on line before we have to start hitting the local sources,” she said.

“Well any chance I can see what you are planning to run before you post it?” I asked.

“Sure you want to stop by here. You know one of us has to be here till midnight, unless we hire a sitter,” She said.

“Yeah I can do that. How about I bring dinner for the group,” I suggested.

I haven’t been able to get those Dog House hot dogs out of my mind. How about stopping by and getting me and Gerome a couple each. Just get them with everything,” Lucinda insisted.

“Okay I’ll be over about seven,” I said. “I may stop by and get Maurine. She seems to be lonely since her son is away at school.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.