My Name Is Ed - Cover

My Name Is Ed

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 24

‎We started working on Monday at the church daycare. Since we weren’t being paid it wasn’t really work. I was sitting outside the church where the daycare was holding forth that Monday. I got out of the SUV when Tommy Simpson pulled up. He didn’t move like a man in a great deal of pain. He was more a man with bad balance. He would not be the ideal employee, but he might be the best one available for the job.

‎‎”Tommy, how is it going?” I asked.

‎‎”It’s going good. How about you? Or more to the Point how is it going with Mary Beth?”

‎‎”She is going to be fine. She should be on the schedule by Friday,” I explained.

‎‎”Then you should be able to cover all the shifts,” Tommy suggested.

‎‎”Yes, but I wanted to ask you about something else. I have got to get four Poly packing cases moved to my house by Friday. Do you know anyone who has a truck large enough to handle it?” I asked.

‎‎”‎I think I can get them in my box truck. We might have to make two trips but I can get it done,” he suggested.

‎‎”So how much do you want to do the job?” I asked.

‎‎”A tank of gas,” he said. “These packing cases are for the homeless right?”

‎‎”That’s the plan but that may not work out,” I admitted.

‎‎”Why don’t you meet me at Ellen’s Cafe near the highway Friday at eight. You can buy breakfast,” Tommy demanded.

‎‎”Okay, I guess I can leave my DUV there while we go pickup the cases,” I suggested.

‎‎”That should work,” Tommy agreed.

‎‎”I’m going in to be sure we get off on the right foot,” I said nodding to the church door.

‎Inside we met the manager of the daycare. She was the only paid employee. Someone had to be responsible I knew. Without that things just didn’t get done.

‎The woman who greeted us was twenty pounds or more over weight. She did dress nice, but her clothes were not expensive. I guessed they were older as well as inexpensive. Being around kids all day would put a strain on even the best dressed woman wardrobe.

‎‎”Which one of you two is Ed Rollins?” she asked.

‎‎”Guilty,” I said. “This gentleman is Tommy Simpson.” I shook her hand then passed her off to Tommy. “He is going to spend the day with you. If for any reason you need to discuss anything call me. I promise I will answer the phone at anytime.”

‎‎”Fair enough,” she said. “I’m Sandra Morris.”

‎‎”Happy to know you,” I smile. After the small talk I went about my normal Monday activities. I got a bit of a late start but everything worked out fine.

‎Monday night I answered the phone after 5pm. I guessed that it was Mary Beth. “So how was your day?” I asked.

‎‎”It was fine. I passed the range course, and my background check is good, so I’m certified as out of my mind,” she said.

‎‎”That means we are all nuts,” I suggested. “Can you spare me an hour tomorrow?”

‎‎”What time?” she asked.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.