My Name Is Ed - Cover

My Name Is Ed

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 5

The first evening, I stopped on the drive home to buy us all pizza. Linda’s mother was paying me too much to be honest. So I sprang for dinner two medium Pizzas and the extras, from Domino’s Pizza. I called ahead on the cell phone to order them in advance. Before I pulled into the parking lot for the pick up, I determined that no one was following me. I also made sure Linda had the canned air horn, just in case Barry showed up. Megan of course knew nothing of our plans.

When Megan asked, I told her. “I work for your grandmother. There has been some threats from the people where your mom works. Your grandmother thought I might be able to help make sure nothing happened to either one of you,” I explained. “It won’t last long. I’m just going to be here until the real police find the man who made the threats. After that I’ll be gone.”

“Do you have a gun?” Megan asked.

“No, but I can get one if I need it. Don’t worry Megan your mom and I can handle anything that comes along,” I further explained. “So how is the pizza?”

“It’s fine. I do love pizza,” she said.

“Me to. I have take out pizza often,” I explained.

“I wish I lived with you,” she said.

“No you don’t, your mom has to be more fun than me,” I said with a laugh.

I had also bought a gallon of iced tea, so I had a couple of glasses of that. Megan was concentrating on the pizza and I was glad. I also wanted her to feel safe, and convince her to let me know if anything seemed wrong. Which was why I engaged her in conversation.

“So Megan, how old are you,” I asked.

“I’m almost 12 years old,” she replied.

“Well you’re as cute as a button. I bet the boys are lined up to flirt with you,” I commented.

“No, the boys pay more attention to the girls who have boobs,” she said calmly.

“Oh really, well I think you are adorable. If I wasn’t so old, I’d be trying to impress you,” I said with a smile.

Linda smiled at me. “So Ed, how do you fill your time since you retired? I mean besides helping damsels in distress.”

“Well, I bought an old country store. I’m giving some thought to worm ranching,” I explained.

“Worm ranching?” Megan asked with a smile.

“Yes, I always wanted to be a rancher. Since I saw rawhide on the TV as a kid. It’s about the only kind of ranching I can afford right now,” I explained.

“You are kidding me right?” she asked.

“Not at all. I haven’t bought my stock yet, but I am making plans. If I can find a small enough horse, I’m going to purchase him or her right away.” I said. “I have been working on the ranch house so far.”

“I don’t believe that for a minute,” she said.

“Well I’m sorry you don’t believe me. I going to name the ranch ‘Barbee Worm spread’. I should have a thousand head of worms by the end of the first year.” I said.

“Mom is he telling me the truth,” Megan asked.

“Honey, I honestly don’t know,” Linda said. “I never met a worm rancher, but I can’t say that he isn’t the first one.”

Since Megan did her home work at the community center, Megan and her mother watched dumb sitcoms on TV. I spent a lot of time with my Email and burner phone messages. Nothing had happened on day one with my real business. At least nothing I couldn’t postpone, so everything was fine.

The two women in my care watched TV until 9:30pm. Family shows occupied their time from dinner until Megan’s bedtime. I got a hug from Megan before she left for the night.

“I don’t believe you about the worm farm,” she whispered.

“I don’t believe you about the boys not flirting with you either,” I said. She just smiled at me.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.