War Maidens - Cover

War Maidens

Copyright© 2018 by Lapi

Introduction

There was a time, now long since past, where the only constant was war itself. The entire region, known as ‘The Land’ extended in size similar to earth’s Denmark, Sweden and the northern coast of Germany. One of the land’s provinces was Thessaly which was divided among several key towns, and a dozen or so smaller independent villages supported by hundreds of farms; none of which yet had enough power or control to claim the area for themselves.

It was so for many ages past then suddenly The Land was invaded by outlanders. Magic had lay hidden away until it once again was called upon to fight off the invaders. As in many times before, that fight was to use both Magic and the Beasts known only in Myth to carry the day, which they did and a semblance of peace was restored within a year, at least one from any outside invasion.

Like all things, nothing lasts forever. There are cycles it seemed. Wars and internal struggles still proliferated but now they were more localized and, Oh yes, regular humans were now greatly outnumbering the dwindling number of magic users and the Beasts now were diminished, let alone any dragons, which were almost gone except in two places. A society of sorts would be taking hold now not unlike medieval times on earth. No longer would a peasant or a farmer mindlessly heed the call to arms of a lord. Full time professional soldiers and an entire family of heraldry was coming into being.

In a way some of those ‘old ways’ were returning too. Yet the temples were in near ruin and few, if any, called upon a god or goddess to intervene, for guidance and their protection anymore; instead they would each rely on cold steel and iron for that. There were still a few, however, that would remain true, a very few that would not forget the past and still believed in the ‘old ways’. That belief meant all the difference to those beings that might heed the pleas whenever they were called upon. Regan was one like this.

This next period, the so-called ‘Social Epoch’ lasting a thousand years before it too reached the end of its cycle. Things were again beginning anew now, yet the heroic deeds and magical events of the past still were heralded and filled many songs and verse with their tales. It started a new cycle with loftier ideals and stories not unlike some legends and myths in the past. To many, something in their life was missing though.

This story, like some others, unfolds during the time of one of this new age’s early conflicts yet is only recounted in legend or tale anymore.

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.