Reginald's People - Cover

Reginald's People

Copyright© 2018 by Gordon Johnson

Chapter 10

Reg told them, “There is almost no chance he could object to your home-schooling, girls. I would have to be an idiot before they would have a valid objection!”

“Oh.” Sidra was surprised. “Don’t they have a say in how we get educated?”

“Nope.” Reg was emphatic. “The law says nothing about times and place of education, or timetables, or even subjects. As long as we can show you are being adequately educated, that is it.”

“So,” Elizabeth enunciated, “All we need is to show him we are being educated?”

“Yes, but we also have to prove you don’t object to our education proposals. It is all about the education of the individual. The education has to be geared to suit the pupil.”

Elizabeth was emphatic. “I have no objections at all, and neither does Sidra, I am sure.” She looked at Sidra, and got a nod of agreement.

Reg checked his watch. “Either he will have to accept me and Jessica as the parents, or wait until your other mothers get here.”

Sidra got a worried look on her face. “Reg, – Dad, Will you having several wives make things difficult for you?”

“I don’t see why it should, Sidra. English law is all about appropriate education for the child, and says nothing about the marital status of the parents, or carers.”

“But we should keep quiet about that, surely?”

“Sidra, I refuse to be intimidated by the outside world’s idea of normality. You and Elizabeth are happy to be here, and that is the be-all and end-all of it.”

Reg heard the doorbell sound, and turned to go there, but found Jessica there first. She opened the door.

“Yes?”

“Mrs Robertson?”

“Yes, I am Jessica Robertson.” She left him to speak. He cleared his throat.

“I am Robert Prendergast, from the education department of the local authority. I am hear to examine your home schooling for your daughters.”

“Ah, yes. Reg said you would be calling. Do come in. I shall show you to the girls, so you can chat to them.”

“Hmm, yes, but I am here primarily to speak with both parents.”

“You are? Which two parents would that be, then?” Jessica enquired.

“Which two? You are familiar with the English language, I hope?” He though he was at odds with an immigrant’s knowledge of English. “Saying ‘which two’ implies that there are more, and there can’t be.”

“Incorrect reasoning, my man. In this household, my husband has six wives, so if you ask about ‘both’, you presumably wish to speak to a specific pairing, do you not?”

Prendergast stared at this woman with an Indian cast to her skin, but with perfect English, and despaired.

“Six wives? That is illegal in England.”

“Again, an incorrect assumption. You should be better educated for your job. It is illegal to officially go through more than one marriage ceremony and have both legally recorded. In our case, Reg has not recorded any legal marriage at all, so there is no crime arising. Our marriage is by public declaration and recognition, and that satisfies us all, does it not, Reg?” She had heard him walk up behind her.

Reg stepped forward to stand beside her. “Yes, Jessica my darling. Your daughter and Elizabeth are ready for the gentleman.”

Prendergast had another shock, for this lady’s husband could not be more than twenty, and she talked of him having six wives. This was crazy, and he still had to see the pupils. He wondered what they would be like.

“May I see the two girls that are the subject of this home education?” He hoped to get back on an even keel.

Jessica told Reg, “I was just about to take him to the girls, dear. Do you wish to take over?”

Reg waved a hand dismissively. “Not at all. You are doing admirably, my love.”

Jessica led the man through the house and upstairs to Sidra’s room, where she tapped on the door.

“Sidra? Are you and Elizabeth ready for visitors?”

The door opened, and a sixteen-year-old stood there. “Come in, Mum. Have you brought the man from the education department? Oh, hi, Dad. Are you coming in as well? There aren’t enough seats, unless we go downstairs for the confrontation!”

Reg frowned. “Sidra! There is no need to use the word confrontation. This is a quiet discussion about your education.”

“Of course, but I was trying to put him on the back foot as we started. Always better to be in charge of the discussion, you see.”

“Factually correct, but inappropriate on this occasion, my girl.”

“Okay, Dad. Mr Prendergast, may I introduce Miss Elizabeth Robertson, my younger sister. Reg has adopted us both, as Elizabeth lost her original parents in a car smash.”

Prendergast got his notepad and inscribed the two names for his records, then looked over these two completely different girls. One was slim and poised, of Indian appearance like her mother, while the other was white-faced and tubby, but pleasant-looking. Elizabeth noticed him looking and commented, “I used to be obese, Mr Prendergast, and was known as ‘Fat Betty’, but when Reg and his family found me, he told me that I was no longer ‘Fat Betty, but Elizabeth, and that I must lose weight to resume my true path in life. I am getting there, I can say, thanks to my new family.”

Prendergast was adjusting his perception minute by minute.

“Your age, young lady?”

“Fifteen, sir, but age has little relevance to educational achievement.”

He goggled at her.

“What sort of education are you getting here, young lady?”

“Quite a wide education, sir, fairly eclectic in nature. Today I discovered the origin of the word and subject of ‘statistics’. In its first use, it meant the collection of data for the use of the state, so it was actually state-data. It was much later that it developed into the technique of using data for all sports of purposes.”

Prendergast was intrigued. “What did you learn from that?” he demanded. Elizabeth looked at him as if he was stupid.

“I learned a bit about the history of the state, for the collection of data back then must have been for the monarch or head of state, so data was being used to enable an absolute monarch to rule more efficiently. It was not so haphazard as used to be thought.”

“Interesting. Anything else you learned recently?”

“Apart from the eruption of Laki in Iceland in 1783, and its effects on the whole of Europe – its acid rain led to famine in France which may have helped trigger the French Revolution – I did discover the origin of the trade of stationer – a seller of paper. In the earliest times, when paper was first being used, paper-sellers were itinerant men, pedlars, who would visit possible buyers with their goods. Eventually one of them set up a shop for his wares, and as the Medieval Latin word for shop is ‘stationarius’, the word stationer became a shop or stationary place where paper, and later books, were sold.”

Prendergast murmured, “I didn’t know that about paper.”

Reg pointed out, “My daughter knows it, sir, so is she being educated or not?”

“If that is an example of some of the material she is picking up, then this is excellent; especially about the eruption of the volcano on Iceland. Are you her teacher, Mrs Robertson?”

“Not me, sir. She either picked this information up from Sidra’s textbooks, or from one of her other mothers, who are all university students, just like Reg.”

“What? All ... seven of you are at university?” he asked.

Reg nodded. “We are; that’s when we are not running our new limited company.”

“You are running a company?”

“Yes. We have it up and running, with our first two clients satisfactorily helped.”

“But you have time for teaching these two girls?”

“Of course. Often it is during the evenings, but I have been home a fair bit recently, so I have been on hand to answer their questions. It has been quite stimulating at times, but they do much of the work: they are self-motivated, I am proud to say.”

“You have been avoiding university classes?” he accused, picking on what he perceived to be a fault.

“Rather, it was the other way around,” Reg claimed. “Being severely wounded, I have been housebound until the last few days. The lecturers sent me transcripts of their lectures to read and essays to write. Even now, I am only doing mornings at the university, but not missing much.”

“I see. Mr Robertson, I think I have observed sufficient evidence to inform my superiors that the education you are providing is adequate for the intellectual improvement of these girls, so in conformity with current law. By the way, that law is going to extend the ages for such education in the future. I can advise on that at a later stage, if ... Sidra, is it? ... wishes to continue beyond sixteen.”

“We can consider that possibility later, Mr Prendergast. If you have seen enough for today...”

“Oh. Of course, Mr Robertson. Thank you for the opportunity to visit. I might suggest another visit when the rest of the family are present?”

“I am sure we can arrange that, sir. The ladies will be delighted to chat with you. One of my wives is training to be a lawyer, for example. Now, if I can show you to the door...”

Prendergast was soon escorted out of the building and away, staggered by his findings but impressed all the same.

Reg went back inside, marvelling at the lack of pain in his back. He found that Jessica was in the living room with Sidra and Elizabeth, celebrating their official move to home schooling. They turned as Reg entered, and all three rushed to hug him.

“Well done, Reg,” Jessica congratulated him.

“Thanks, Dad,” declared Sidra and Elizabeth in chorus.

“Hey, it was all you girls’ work, satisfying the guy; not that it was difficult. You even impressed me!”

“We did?” questioned Elizabeth.

Reg turned to face her and give her a personal hug. “You did. That was a master stroke, mentioning the Laki eruption in passing – that covered geology, history, and general science, all at one blow.”

“But it was just what I discovered on line, yesterday. It was a fascinating story.”

“And that is why you impressed the man. You were not bragging; it came out perfectly naturally. You were clearly not prompted, so you had learned it for yourself. That shows, Elizabeth, and I was so proud of you!”

Tears came into her eyes, and Elizabeth jumped up to kiss him. “You are a great Dad! I am glad I found you, Reg, and I am glad I found Sidra. She is teaching me a lot.” A blush came to her cheeks, and Jessica noticed a similar flush in Sidra. She narrowed her eyes, thinking, but said nothing.

Reg was glad to welcome Elizabeth’s enthusiasm. It bode well for the future. He hoped for a similar outcome of the Robsons with Frances. This had been a good day so far.

A call arrived from Frances at an odd time of the day.

“Frances? What’s up, my love? Not well?”

“Not me, Reg. Erika is feeling nauseous, so I think she has morning sickness. If it had been Prudence, I would suspect migraine, but not with Erika. I am bringing her home, but I may have to stop for a time if she is sick. See you when we get home.”

She closed the call, leaving Reg to reflect that his good day just changed. He went to warn the twins, so they knew that Erika may not want to eat much this evening. He also told the Robson girls, so they knew not to bother Erika when she was feeling unwell. Jessica was last on the list, as she should know about the subject, possibly from experience.

She did.

“I understand the problem, Reg. I had some with Sidra. I asked around, and most mums found that small sips of cold water taken frequently, can help. Oddly, nibbling dry biscuits can help as well, again frequently. Overall, ginger can help ease the symptoms, so ginger biscuits or anything else with ginger in it are useful. We’ll see what suits Erika.”

Reg was curious. “Why didn’t you mention this when Fiona began having morning sickness?”

Jessica put her hand to her mouth. “Oh my! I never thought about it at the time. I presumed that as Fiona is older than your other wives, she would know this. Sorry, Reg, for missing this. I’ll check with Fiona about what she knows and is doing.”

“No problem, Jessica. We all make a slip at times, including me. Now, we need to prepare for Erika’s arrival. Is she likely to be sick, as Frances suggested?”

“I shouldn’t think so. Most pregnant women with morning sickness may feel sick, but seldom actually get to the stage of vomiting. Oh, and morning sickness in reality is worse during the afternoon for most mums-to-be.”

“Really?” Reg expressed astonishment.

“Yes, really. Whoever named it morning sickness was not a pregnant woman!”

Reg mused, “Probably a doctor, whose word would not be questioned.”

Frances was at the door soon thereafter, escorting Erika who looked ashen-faced. Reg was immediately beside her to envelop her in his arms in commiseration.

“My poor Erika. You were doing so well, and now this! Jessica has some suggestions to help, so you should sit down and listen to her.”

“But I feel as if I am about to vomit, Reg!”

“Jessica tells me that very few pregnant women actually vomit, though we can take you to the bathroom if you want. You can’t stay there all the time; it would be uncomfortable. How about we get a mixing bowl or something for you have handy wherever you are sitting?”

“That would make me feel more able to cope, Reg. I haven’t felt so miserable in a long time. Sorry to put you out, darling.”

“Hey, Erika, remember that it was me who put you in this situation, so I am the one to blame if you need to rail against someone.”

“I know, Reg, but it was what I wanted, too, so we both set this up. I just lost the lottery of who would get morning sickness: me and Fiona. I hope the other girls don’t get this.”

Frances was immediately there.

“Erika, don’t worry about the rest of us. We all took on this labour of love, knowing it would not be easy for everyone. Look on the bright side: I have read that girls who have morning sickness usually have fine healthy babies. You seem to have won that lottery!”

Erika brightened, and quipped, “You’ll be wanting to have morning sickness then, Frances!”

Frances wrinkled her nose, saying, “I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, I think, Erika.”

Erika asked Reg, “What did Jessica say, darling?”

“Cold drinks, sipped slowly and often; dry biscuits nibbled in much the same way. I am guessing that the trick is steady hydration, and something to keep your metabolism running at a steady pace. Oh, and ginger, in any form. The biscuits could be ginger biscuits, for example. Apparently ginger is good for the pregnant girl. Anyway, it seems that all of these contribute to lessening the symptoms that you now have.”

Just then Jessica came into the room with Sidra and Elizabeth. She welcomed her co-wives.

“Hi, girls. Erika, how are you feeling? Has Reg mentioned what I suggested?”

“He has. Did you bring me a drink to sip?”

“I did. Cold lemonade, to be consumed slowly. And I have brought out our two home-schoolers. Sidra and Elizabeth have been accepted by the local authority as being home educated. We had a visitor check us out this afternoon, and the girls blew him away with their erudition!”

Frances said, anxiously, “No mention of where they came from?”

“None. Reg introduced them as Sidra Robertson and Elizabeth Robertson, his adopted daughters, and that was it. Why should it be otherwise, to an education official trying to get through his days’ work?” She smiled cheekily, and Frances laughed in response. She grabbed Reg and gave him a quick hug. “Well done, my man.”

Erika was sat down in a chair at the table near Reg’s comfy chair, and they chatted while Frances went off with her two daughters and Jessica, to hear more about the education visit. Carol and Holly put in an appearance, to ask Erika what she would want for dinner. That resulted in a complex discussion about what would not exacerbate her nausea, and the need for a supply of cold drinks and ginger biscuits.

“We could make ginger snaps for you, Erika!”

“And for Fiona, please, girls,” insisted Erika.

Reg took the opportunity to sit in his chair and relax and snooze for a while. When she thought Reg was asleep, Erika got up and sidled over to him, planting a gentle kiss on his lips. His eyes opened and he murmured, “You can try that again, Erika. I liked it.”

She insisted with a grin, “I only did it to distract myself from my sick feeling, so I will do it some more for just that reason. O.K.?”

“I am here to assist you in your hour of need, my love. Go ahead.”

They enjoyed that exercise until the Robson sisters walked into the room.

“Hello? Are we interrupting something? Should we leave?” asked Hermione.

Reg responded, “No. This is medical treatment for Erika, as she has morning sickness.”

Jemima commented, “If that is medical treatment, morning sickness must be popular.”

Erika told her, “Treatment in the nicest possible way, Jemima. It was to divert my mind from the nausea, and it worked.”

Hermione announced, “We are here to tell you, Reg, that Frances says we need up to a week more here, but that we should be allowed to apply for a post with the company. She says that if either of us get appointed, we have to go home and report to our parents, then return here to take up the job.”

Reg raised his eyes to the standing woman.

“Now that is interesting. We haven’t even drawn up a staff structure, and Frances is inviting you for interview. She must think you worthy.”

Hermione coloured. “That was what we thought as well. She is a nice woman, is Frances. She says she wants to give us some training in work procedures for the company, by calling us ‘trainees’. Apparently she has seen this in her father’s company.”

“That makes sense,” Reg admitted. “I could do with some training in that line. I have been making things up as I went along, trying to be the Managing Director, with nothing to go on, other than what I have read in passing. I’ll ask Frances to get me made a trainee M.D., to stop me doing something stupid.”

Hermione’s eyes lit up. “We and you would be trainees together?”

“Of course. Why not? Mind you, we will probably be in different offices, apart from the basic introductory course. That, as I understand it, covers all the matters that pertains to everyone – staff structure, salary levels, sick pay, holiday entitlement, expenses, time off, and work rotas, and so on. Do you girls know a bit about that?”

Jemima explained apologetically, “Reg, we have never worked – been in employment – so we don’t know anything about such matters.”

He told them, “You can get paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly, depending on the job. Many outdoor jobs are paid weekly or fortnightly, and most office jobs are monthly pay. That means you need to have enough cash to tide you over until the first pay-day. Holidays are based on time worked: a day or two days per month worked. Over and above that, if you were starting a family you get maternity leave during your last few months of pregnancy and a bit more after the birth, for recovery time and bonding with your baby; but you two don’t have that to think about.”

Hermione was in agreement. “Seeing Fiona and now Erika suffering from morning sickness, I don’t particularly fancy pregnancy!”

Jemima looked at her sister with a wry glance. She appeared to feel differently, but kept silent.

Reg remarked, “I didn’t particularly fancy being stuck in a hospital bed, but it was a risk that I took when I saw myself having to defend the ladies I was with in Scarborough. I put up with all the pain and discomfort because defending you ladies was my responsibility. My wives see it as their responsibility to go through discomfort, and later the pain of childbirth, to produce our children. I loved them before, and now I love them for their bravery. In centuries past, a percentage of women died while giving birth, and to me that was heroic of them to risk it. Fortunately with modern medicine few deaths happen now in childbirth, but it remains a possibility, just as stepping into a car involves the risk of being killed in a car smash, which is commoner than you might think. Life is full of risks, Hermione. You just have a choice as to which risks you are willing to take.”

Jemima smirked, unnoticed by her sister who was staring at Reg with awe. The ladies left Reg with the excuse of having to help the twins in the kitchen, and Reg returned to snoozing, feeling the need for a rest.

The arrival of his wives from university was an occasion for laughter. Frances came into the dining room and shook Reg awake.

“Reg, darling, you lucky man! The Finance Officer gave us a gift for you!”

She offered him a bottle of red wine. “He said he appreciated your help. As the university does not have to pay your company, he thought a sign of appreciation was in order. He admitted that it came to him from one of the university suppliers as a Christmas gift, but he could not drink it as that might be seen as an inducement, and it would be rude to return it; but he reckoned you deserved it, as the best solution.”

Reg smiled, and accepted the bottle. He looked at the name on the bottle, but did not recognise it. He asked Frances, “You know better than me, Frances: is this a good wine?”

She grinned. “It certainly is! A good name, and price would be in excess of 25 pounds per bottle. You can have fun drinking it, provided the rest of us get at least a sip.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.