Best of You - Cover

Best of You

Copyright© 2018 by Bytor

Chapter 4: Meeting Jane

With summer upon him, Henry decided to spend as much time away from home, away from his Mother, as possible. It seemed to him that, lately, she was becoming more controlling and antagonistic towards him, and that was something that he could not deal with.

With that in mind he started spending more time away from home, mostly at his sisters playing and watching his nieces and nephews.

It was a week into summer when Jane asked, “So, Henry, you still seeing that nice young lady?”

“Yeah,” trying very hard to suppress his smile.

Seeing the smile she said, “Wow. That’s a long time to be seeing someone.”

Shrugging his shoulders he said, “I suppose”

“Does, your Mother know about her?”

Quickly he said, “NO. And please don’t say anything.”

Putting her hands on her hips she said, “Henry! Like I would do that to you.

Feeling foolish he said, “Yeah, I know you wouldn’t”

“So, are we every going to meet this young lady?”

Uh oh. “Uhm, someday. I guess.”

“Are you embarrassed of us?” She joked.

Not catching on that is was a joke Henry said quickly, “Of course not! Jeez sis!”

“Oh my poor baby brother, we are sooo mean to you.” she said mockingly.

Incredulously he said, “You played me? Dang sis, you played me.”

Laughing at him she tousled his hair and said, “You should bring her over, I would like to meet her, this young lady who my young brother is so enamored with.”

He groaned, but a little part of him wanted Jane to meet Cindy, to see how nice she was, and, in a selfish reason, to show that he was getting older, to show that someone could care for him, and that he could return that caring. So plans were made for them to meet on the weekend of the 4th of July, if Cindy could get away.


Not wanting to wait until their next movie date Henry wanted to get in touch with Cindy and ask her now. It was somewhat difficult to talk to Cindy, he couldn’t do it directly so he had to use the Friends Line, which was very complicated, highly dangerous, and woefully inadequate. It was generally accomplished by Henry going over to Alex’s house and asking Jennifer to call Cindy from Alex’s or Jennifer’s home. It was a pain in the ass, but what can you do?

So a couple of days after talking with his Sister Henry went to see Alex, who in turn asked Jennifer to come over and call Cindy.

“When I talk to Cindy, could you give me a little privacy?” asked Henry to Jennifer and Alex.

As Jennifer dialed she rolled her eyes and said, “Yes Henry.”

“Even me Henry? It’s my house” proclaimed Alex.

In between dialing numbers Jennifer punched Alex in the arm.

“Ouch. Okay okay” he replied as he rubbed his arm where Jennifer punched him.

Softly to Henry he said “You know people think she nice and sweet, wouldn’t hurt a fly kinda person. It’s all a cover.” Alex quickly moved out of striking distance as Jennifer let another punch came his way.

Into the phone Jennifer responded, “Hi, it’s Jennifer, Cindy’s friend.”

“Yes” she laughed “that one. Is Cindy home? Okay, thanks.”

After a brief pause “Hey Cindy, yeah, wait a sec,” and handed over the phone to Henry.

He moved away from Alex and Jennifer and said “Hey Cindy.”

Quietly she said “Henry? Why are you calling?”

“What, no hello how are you?” he asked with a smile.

“Okay, hello how are you?” she asked sarcastically, with a laugh thrown in at the end.

“I’m fine thanks for asking. Uhm, the reason I called is, well, remember the necklace I gave you?”

“Yeah”

“Well, uhm, when I went to buy it I had to catch a ride with my sister Jane.”

Not sure where he was going with this she said, “Okay”

“Uhm, well she kinda saw it, like, uhm, because the bag broke, and, uhm, well, she kinda, you know, guessed that it was a gift, for a girl. You know, a gift you would, ah, like, give to a, a girl friend.”

“Oh god.”

“No, no, ah, Jane didn’t say anything to my Mother. So, you know, we’re cool with that” he said matter of factly.

“Oh thank God. Dodge a bullet there” she laughed, a bit nervously.

“Uh, yeah. So here’s the thing, she wants to meet you” he said with a wince.

Silence.

A little more silence.

He listened very carefully. Is that her breathing?

“Cindy? Hey, you there?” he asked.

Softly he heard “Uh huh.”

“So, you okay. You know, meeting my sister” and ever so softly “and her family?”

“Uhm, okay. But, what about, you know, will she say anything? To your Mother?”

Shaking his head, as if she could see him, “No. Jane and my Mother, well, don’t really see eye to eye, you know, on some things. Well, most things. Uhm, most everything” he laughed nervously.

“When?” she asked.

“July 4th weekend. I was thinking we would say we are going to the movies with friends and hang out at the mall and such.”

“Okay. I can get away with that.”

“Great! Talk to you later Cindy.”

“You bet!” she said excitedly as she hung up the phone.

Cindy turned and went back to her room, closed the door and sat on her bed. What had she gotten herself into she asked herself. Sliding across her bed she opened the drawer on her nightstand to retrieve the small box Henry had given her. She laid back on the bed, took the necklace out and lifted it above her, letting it twirl as it untangled. Looking at it she thought about Henry, the first boy she really liked, liked very much, and how he made her feel. If she were a little bit older, a little bit wiser, she would have been able to recognize those feelings as much more than like, a feeling that would eventually draw her out of her shell, and allow her to find her own voice.


So on July 4th weekend, Cindy left her home and walked over to Jennifer’s just as Henry left his home to walk over to Alex’s. Meeting out front, the four friends began the walk to Connie’s house, midway Henry and Cindy said their good-byes and confirmed the time that Alex and Jennifer would be back from the movies.

The walk to Janes found the two excited, and nervous. Cindy was nervous, knowing how Henry felt for his sister and her family, and didn’t want to make a bad impression. Henry was stressing over whether Cindy and Jane would get along together.

Walking up to the door, Henry said, “They are great people, the best. Nothing like my Mother. Are you ready?”

Masking the terror Cindy offered a smile and replied, “You betcha.”

Henry didn’t believe it for a second, turned and rang the doorbell.

What ensued was a free-for-all of epic proportions, as the door opened Henry was swamped by his two young nieces, Deborah and Amanda, and his nephew Joshua as they screamed “Uncle Henry”

Henry was used to this, but Cindy wasn’t, and took a step back praying that she wasn’t next.

“Okay, okay, let Uncle Henry inside” said Jane as she made her way to the doorway, hair somewhat in disarray, a dishrag in one hand and a can of soda in the other.

But when her kids wouldn’t let go she said, “Come on, come on you three, time to get BACK to work!” That got their attention. Quickly they jumped off Henry and ran back into the house to continue whatever it was they were doing before.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.