Best of You - Cover

Best of You

Copyright© 2018 by Bytor

Chapter 2: The Necklace Found

The celebration of the New Year carried with it the hopes and dreams of what could be, will be. And as the clock made its way past midnight Henry laid back in bed, reflecting on his former life, one of loneliness, fear, and to some extant loathing.

But over a year ago his outlook had been changed, for the better. No longer had the lonely, shy, frightened little boy, but a young man coming into his own, gaining confidence in whatever ventures come his way. He didn’t have the same swagger that Alex had, yet, but he had the same drive and tenacity.

But, as with all things, change brings with it risks that were unknown to Henry. Not wanting his Mother to know about the girl in his life was very important. Not that he knew what his Mother would do if she found out he just didn’t want to find out.

What he didn’t know was how Cindy’s parents would react to Cindy having a boyfriend. Unfortunately he didn’t have long to wait.


Cindy sat before her mirror looking intently at herself. She had picked out an outfit that enhanced her best features while hiding her worst, and since she couldn’t wear makeup she put a lot of time into her hair, combing it, shaping it, and styling it. She wanted to look as best she could to show off the necklace from Henry.

“Whatcha doing?” asked her younger sister Jessica as she stood next to her.

Caught by surprise she said, “Will you please not sneak up on me Jess? You nearly gave me a heart attack.”

“No I didn’t. You always exaggerate everything” she said stubbornly.

Losing her patience Cindy exclaimed, “Whatever. Will you please get out of my room, I’m trying to get ready for school.”

As Jessica was turning to leave, she took a quick look at Cindy in the mirror and noticed the shiny necklace lying on her makeup table.

“What’s that?” she asked pointing to the necklace.

Freaked out that Jessica noticed she replied, “Nothing for you to worry about.”

“Okay. But when did you get that. It is very pretty,” she said as she made her way over to get a better look.

“Get outta here” she yelled as she got up and began pushing Jessica out of her room.

“Stop pushing me!” yelled Jessica.

“I wouldn’t have to if you’d stay out of my room!” yelled Cindy.

Coming up the stairs was her Mom yelling, “Jess, get out of Cindy’s room. Cindy stop pushing Jess.”

“I wasn’t doing anything” groaned Jessica.

Before her Mom could get a look at her, Cindy went back into her room and closed the door, worried about getting caught with the necklace. From a boy.

“Mom, all I did was watch her make herself look BEAUTIFUL in the mirror. I didn’t touch any of her stuff” whined Jessica.

“I know Jess, but you need to give her some space and privacy” she said soothingly.

“And then she went all nutso schizzo when I asked about the stupid necklace.”

“Now Jess, don’t be using that word. It’s not nice, Okay?” her mother said sternly.

“I didn’t say she was stu... , that word. I called the necklace, that word.”

“Okay honey. I understand. But still, please do not use that word. Mommy doesn’t like it.”

“Okay” she said in an exasperated tone.

“Good. Go downstairs and have some breakfast before the school bus gets here.”

With a smile and a skip Jessica headed downstairs.

“Cindy? You have a moment?” asked her Mom.

Oh crap!

“Sure Mom” she yelled load enough to be heard through the door. She took off the necklace quickly, but carefully, and put it in her pocket as she opened the door.

“What’s up?” she asked.

“You have 5 minutes to get ready before the bus is here. So you better get a move on.”

With a big smile she said “Gotcha Mom.”

Her mother turned and walked away, making it a few steps before saying “It is a very nice necklace.”

Without thinking Cindy responded “Thanks.”

Her mother stopped and turned around and asked, “Can I get a better look at it?”

Keeping her emotions in check she retrieved the necklace from her pocket and handed it to her Mom.

Her Mom inspected the necklace carefully, not letting on that she was suspicious of the gift.

“Where did you get such a pretty thing?”

“A friend.”

“Must be a good friend! What’s his name?”

Her mouth opened to protest the assumption that a boy had given her the necklace, but saw in her Mom’s face that it was pointless.

Lowering her head she said dejectedly, “Henry. His name is Henry.”

“So, why would Henry give you such a, personal gift?”

“I don’t know.”

“Did you buy him something?” she asked softly.

Embarrassed that she didn’t Cindy replied, “No.”

“Look at me Cindy. You are too young to be receiving gifts such as this. And I really don’t like you keeping a secret like this.”

She was upset, she could see it in her eyes as Cindy looked at her.

“Is there, something going on between you two?”

She looked away from her mother without saying anything.

Her mother waited for an answer, and when none was given she said firmly, “Answer me young lady!”

Still not looking at her mother she responded, “Yes.”

Crossing her arms she asked, “Is he your boyfriend?”

She sat down on her bed and said, “Yes”

Her Mom walked into her room, closed the door and sat next to Cindy and said, “You do know that you are not allowed to have a boyfriend until your 16.”

“Yes”

Placing her hands in her lap her mother continued, “Okay. Are you, doing anything with Henry?”

Confused by the question Cindy looked at her mother and asked, “Like what?”

She should have been nervous, even scared, but the words came out without either, “Things that only grownups do.”

Catching what her Mom was asking Cindy turned a deep shade of red and quickly got up from the bed and walked to the other side of the room saying loudly “No! Jezz Mom.”

She stood up and quickly moved to her daughter. She placed her hand on her shoulder and turned her around to look at her face and said, “Don’t lie to me!”

Fear, embarrassment, and anger, all mixed together. But in an instant she changed, fighting back tears, her back stiffened as she said strongly, “NOTHING is going on sexually between Henry and I. Okay! Jess Mom!”

Wiping her eyes she continued “He is a nice guy. He hasn’t, touched me or even asked to, do those grown up things. And I like him. And he likes me. He makes me feel, good, and special, and happy, and a whole bunch of other things. And maybe, a little, he makes me feel like, womanly. But nothing has happened.”

Her Mom looked at her daughter, seeing her differently, as a young woman, as someone who is showing conviction in something, taking a stand. She didn’t like it one bit.

“You are grounded for a month,” her Mom said sternly.

“Okay. Can I have the necklace back?” she asked.

As her Mom turned to leave she said “No.”

Anger raced forward, pushing fear and embarrassment out of its way as Cindy placed her hands on her hips and yelled, “That’s not right! It’s mine! And I want to wear it to school to show all my friends!” The last said as she extended her open hand, waiting for the necklace.

Her mom, taken aback by Cindy’s actions, placed the necklace in her hand, and walked out of her room. Later that day, as she made dinner, she thought back on the incident with Cindy. She knew that, eventually, Cindy would have a boyfriend, she just didn’t think that Cindy would have one so soon. Not with her being as shy as she is. Maybe she is growing out of it?

Most of what she truly feared of this new Cindy was the backbone she had found. Never before had she raised her voice, or taken a firm stand, or demanded something of her as she did today. What will she do with this new Cindy?


Henry was having a great day, and it would only get better as he would finally get to see Cindy. His Mother had kept him busy cleaning the basement and family room, while in the attic whatever old toys and games he no longer wanted were given away to charity, so he was unable to see Cindy during Christmas break, other than when they went to the movies.

Yes it was going to be a great day!

Cindy was in the cafeteria eating a banana waiting patiently for Henry. Still shaken by her encounter with her Mom over the necklace just an hour ago, she was still trying to figure out where she got the backbone to stand up to her Mom. She had never stood up to anyone, much less her Mom. And the way she demanded the necklace back, what was she thinking! She was sure she was grounded for at least a month, probably two.

As she was running through all of the punishments that she could get she heard, “Hey beautiful.”

It was Henry, thank god.

“Uhm fine. Well, maybe not so fine. I might be grounded,” she said dejectedly.

“Why? What happened?” asked Henry.

“Mom found out about the necklace.”

Sitting down next to Cindy he said, “Oh shoot!”

“She took it away from me.”

“Crap!”

“Yeah. And I demanded that she give it back to me.”

Surprised by her reaction he said, “Really? Holy Shit!”

“Yeah. And, well, she knows that you gave it to me.”

Exasperated he said, “I’m screwed!”

“Yeah. And I will probably be grounded for a month. If not more.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.