Wendy
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2018 by Old Man with a Pen

Half of one hundred twenty million awarded in a judgment is 60 million and no taxes. Settlements are taxable ... not so with judgements. Much to the chagrin of the taxman.

Still and all, they Had separated me from one quarter of my lottery win while Colorado got another four percent. But wait ... the government got 25% up front but the tax rate is 40 percent ... or close enough to make no mind. I had to pay the extra 15 percent April 15th. Colorado only got 4% ... they didn’t get extra. The IRS sent me a bill for the 14.6 percent on January Second ... the bastards. Talk about ruining a good resolution.

Anyway, they couldn’t tax the sixty ... but they could tax the interest ... if there WAS any interest.

People ... us average Joes ... were just finding out about shelters and off-shore accounts and Swiss Banks and things that the moneyed people had known about for decades. I knew I’d have to do something and right quick.

That brought my house idea to a sudden go ahead ... NOW.

Daddy owned the vacant lot on South Boston ... remember ... I’d been mowing it right up to college and summers at home ... with a fucking push mower...

“To learn re ... spon ... s ... abilities,” I sill can see the smirk when Daddy said that. That was when I started calling him Mister Austin. I didn’t revert to Daddy until I joined the Firm.

“Daddy, I want my own house, sell me the vacant lot.”

“You’ll have to clear it with the board. Cherry Creek has standards.”

He wasn’t kidding.

The board grilled me for hours ... okay ... so it was twenty minutes ... it felt like hours.

The questions they asked ... and the documents I had to produce ... and the house plans ... not just ideas ... real architectural plans ... by an architect ... a Board Approved Architect. With a scale model ... and permits ... and contractors...

I Almost changed my mind,

More than anything ... it had to be of an accepted style. No single story... 4500 ground floor square feet ... detached vehicle housing ... and STONE ... it had to be stone ... with mullioned windows and double exterior doors ... and pleasing in appearance. But mostly it had to fit in with the neighborhood.

No Frank Lloyd Wright ... and NO crews working weekends...”This is a Golf Club,” the board said. “And keep the mud off the streets!” as I went out the door.

It took months.

By the time the board president signed off I was ready to BUY in Stapleton’s Landing Pattern.

It was the little things ... no walling off the neighbors ... no interfering with the golfers ... shatterproof windows ... must have a basement ... gabled roofs ... the existing trees over 25 feet MUST STAY.

But it did have advantages. Once accepted, I had reciprocal access to hundreds of private country clubs, marinas, air parks and parks ... and my children were granted admittance to the very best private schools in the civilized world. No questions asked. Membership automatically meant I could afford the fees.

The House. The style is traditional Dutch Gothic ... almost a miniature of the Clubhouse.

The front approach was by circular drive giving on to three covered granite steps to the porch and double doors. The Grand Foyer, in chestnut, stretched 30 feet straight up where the cantilevered chestnut ceiling formed the floor of the tower room. Twin walnut staircases accessed the family floor wings. To the right of the base of the stair was the door to the Honduran Mahogany reception room. The left wall of that room accessed the portico access and walk-in vault. Straight through was the Butlers Pantry, with its sterling silver sink, just before the Kitchen.

At the foot of the left staircase was the door to the Grand Dining Room ... a long oak wainscoted room the size of the reception, vault and half the kitchen. The remainder was taken-up by the French Door entry to the Quarter-sawn Maple Library. The left wall gave access to the “Family porch” with steps leading to the rose garden and views of the water hazards.

The second floor ... the family floor ... consisted of a long wide hall accessing on the right, first, the “Girls room,” with it’s hand painted sunrise blush wallpaper, solid gold electrical accouterments, walk-in closet and marble bath. Second, was the first “Sons room,” a more rugged affair, with “manly decor” and a bunk-bed, for sleepovers. Then came the “Master,” I hate that word ... it should be the “Mistress,” which creates visions we shan’t go into.

The master, complete with two baths and dual walk-in closets was the largest room on the second floor. The bed was huge ... giving me thoughts of multiple occupants and sweat. There is a door giving out to the roof of the family porch and a south-eastern deck which can also be accessed from an outside stair.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.