The Rise of Azkoval
Chapter 5: Spy in the Midst

Copyright© 2018 by Jay Cantrell

Joseph’s troops had set up camp a short way up the neck of the valley. The sentries had been warned to watch for anyone attempting to straggle or to leave camp once it was set up.

The news that someone in his camp had tried to alert the enemy of his presence had eaten at him since Genrico had shown him the note. He had kept the news from his closest advisers, choosing to try to watch his soldiers himself and ferret out who the spy might be. He realized during the rearward trek that it was a losing proposition from the outset. He had more than 300 men in the camp – and 50 or so women who had followed their husbands or fathers or brothers on the march. He had tried to get to know the people in his midst but that had proven impossible.

As the camp set up, he brought his two closest advisers into his counsel.

“Someone has attempted to relay our position to Lord Wellington,” he explained to Jonathan Burbridge and his father.

“Is that why we moved?” Jonathan wondered. Joseph had kept his rationale from even his aide-de-camp but now he shook his head.

“We are going to unite the armies and sidle between the lord’s troops and the manor,” he said. “We have located a pair of guides who will show us the route.”

“Local guides?” Jonathan asked with frown. “Is that wise? Is it possible the scouts are the ones sending messages?”

“The guides are not in camp,” Joseph told them. “They were nestled in their beds when the message was sent. Do we have anyone in camp with intimate knowledge of the region?”

Jonathan shook his head but his father turned white.

“Damnation!” he muttered.

“You know of such a person, Father?” Jonathan asked.

“As do you,” Lord Burbridge said as he sat heavily on the floor. “Why would she do this?”

“A woman?” Joseph asked although he already suspected as much.

“The Lady Burbridge,” the man said wearily.

“Mother?” Jonathan asked, aghast at the prospect. “Why do you say that?”

“She was the third daughter of Lord Cornet,” Burbridge explained. “You knew that. Her father was among those slain during The Fall.”

“Lord Cornet’s lands bordered Wellington,” Joseph said, recalling the lessons he’d learned from his father a decade earlier. “It’s now part of Wellington, I believe.”

“It is,” Burbridge agreed. “We passed within half a day of the former manor house just two days before she set up camp. My wife asked if we could veer off for a visit but I told her we would ask you on the return.”

“Does she know Lord Wellington?” Jonathan asked. “I have never heard her mention the man or his family.”

The man didn’t want to believe that his mother would do something so dastardly.

“She was to wed his brother,” Lord Burbridge told them. “He was older and was set to inherit the title. He fell from an ox cart and died when he was in his teens. This was a decade or so before The Fall. Gabrielle assumed she would then be wed to the second son. Her parents had other ideas. It was no secret that my father and King Welton were close. Her family sought to establish inroads to the capital by pledging her to me. I have never seen a sign that she was unhappy with the arrangement. I know that The Fall shook her terribly. She has been resigned to avoid all political matters since but she has traveled to the former Cornet lands frequently during the 25 years we have been wed. On rare occasions when I sought to accompany her she has changed her plans and stayed at Burbridge. Now I suppose I understand why.”

“Do you suppose she has been corresponding with Lord Wellington throughout our travels?” Joseph asked.

“We have no proof that she is guilty of this!” Jonathan bristled. “It could be any number of people in this camp. We have accepted any person who wanted to join. It is just as likely that Lord Wellington sent his spy toward the army in order to join it half a year ago.”

“That is true,” Joseph admitted. He had spent little time with Gabrielle Burbridge. He had found her to be a shy, quiet woman. “I’m sorry but we will have to discuss this with her.”

Again, Jonathan’s face clouded.

“We will discuss it with everyone, Jonathan,” Joseph said. “I am not accusing your mother of anything.”

Jonathan closed his eyes for a moment.

“I understand that,” he said with resignation. “This message, was it verbal or written.”

“It was written,” Joseph said, pulling it from his vest. He handed it to the young man and watched all the color drain from his face.

“It is her,” he said as a tear ran down his cheek. “I know her writing. Damnation, I recognize her perfume on the parchment.”

“I will handle the matter,” Lord Burbridge said. “She is my wife. I will see to her execution.”

“I don’t think an execution is necessary right now,” Joseph said, holding up a hand. “I think we need to watch her carefully. She might be trying to lure Wellington into a trap we know nothing about.”

“I appreciate that you are trying to see both sides,” Jonathan said. “But stop! We know what this message is meant to convey. She wants to give our troop positions so he can ambush us. If she had given a false position, perhaps I could see it differently. But she told him exactly where we were situated and the exact number of soldiers in the ranks.”

Joseph offered a sad nod.

“I believe we should speak with her,” he said. “She doesn’t mention the separate army. Does that mean she doesn’t know of it?”

“Only the three of us know of it for certain,” Lord Burbridge told him. “The messengers have started some rumors, but we have downplayed them as much as possible. We are fortunate that Genrico has used different men each time. We told the troops that Rina – I mean Elena – is sending reports out every few days so you won’t worry about what is happening in Tyrell.”

“I’m not worried about what is happening there,” Joseph said. “Elena is a competent woman. I can readily see that she has had two able teachers for administrative duties. For as often as I have led men into battle, I have never had an army that has been handled any better than this one. You two have both done an excellent job of setting up communications and lines of supply. Those are two of the hardest parts of leading a group this size. Not only that but you have integrated the newcomers almost seamlessly. I want you both to know that you have my utmost respect and my full trust. Over the course of our movements, I will delegate many of the decisions to you. I want to remain close to our scout to ensure she isn’t leading us into danger. Genrico’s men will be nearby but until she gains my full trust, I will not turn the welfare of these troops over to her. I will, however, turn their welfare over to either of you.”

“Despite what my wife has done?” Lord Burbridge asked.

“I have long ago learned – from sitting beside my father and my mother – that a man can never fully control his wife,” Joseph said with a smile. “I remember my mother as a wonderful person but she was willful and she had many ideas and plans that my father didn’t know about and couldn’t stop if he did know. I have no doubt in my mind that if you had an inkling of what was transpiring, you would have stopped it or alerted me immediately. For now, though, until our scout arrives, I would like to talk to your wife without your presence. I promise I will not torture her. She will not be harmed in any way. I do, however, need answers.”

“It will be as you ask,” Lord Burbridge stated. “Jonathan and I will lead a group of men to forage and to hunt. We are running short of rations if we are forced to stay here for more than a few days. Come, Jonathan, let us gather the men and depart camp. It will be after daylight tomorrow before we return.”

Joseph nodded and watched the men gather their gear from the tent. Jonathan stopped just before the flap and turned to the king.

“I’m sorry, King Joseph,” he said. “I will harbor no grudge if peril should come to Mother. She obviously had no problem sending Father and me out to be slaughtered.”

The man departed through the tent flap before the king could respond.


Gabrielle Burbridge was surprised when King Joseph sat down opposite of her at the campsite where she was eating her evening meal.

Unlike most of the women in the camp, who wore homespun clothing or buckskins, Lady Burbridge still wore a gown each day, although they were starting to show wear and tear from almost six months of travel. She was dismayed when the king, who wore leather armor over his linen shirt and trousers, sat without asking her permission.

“Lady Burbridge,” he greeted her with a nod of his head.

“King Joseph,” she replied. She expected one of her servants to appear and offer the man a cup of wine. Instead she found herself alone. She looked around urgently.

“I sent them away,” Joseph explained. “I have many questions to ask you and I don’t believe you want anyone hearing them.”

Gabrielle did her best not to be flustered but she failed miserably. The wooden fork clattered to the plate.

“We captured your messenger,” Joseph explained.

“Messenger?” she asked, feigning ignorance.

“Lady Burbridge, let’s dispense with this,” Joseph said impatiently. “We killed your messenger before he got through the forest. I have your message and I know it was written by your hand. Pretending innocence or attempting to deceive me is pointless. All you can hope to achieve is to anger me further.”

“So you know,” she said with an insolent shrug. “It won’t matter. Matthew has allies that will crush this meager army.”

“The Caliph,” Joseph said, mimicking the shrug she had offered. “I have a bigger army awaiting the Caliph’s appearance. I will rule over that country before we begin our trek back to Tyrell. You didn’t really believe that I would count on this makeshift group to do much fighting did you? This is my left hand. I’ve kept everyone looking at it while my right hand has gone unnoticed. In two days, the two hands will meet in a crushing blow to Wellington and to Creight. I will put about 700 men into battle against the 250 your former friend has assembled. About half of these are skilled fighters and more than 150 are seasoned veterans. Lord Wellington’s troops will fall quickly and then I will walk to the manor house and kill all I find inside.”

The woman in front of him paled and licked her lips in a nervous reaction to the news.

“Your husband and son knew of the plan but I asked them to keep it from everyone,” Joseph continued. “I am thankful that their precaution extended to you. If you answer my questions fully and honestly, I will allow you to choose the method of your punishment. If you continue to defy me, I’ll punish you in a matter than I choose. Those are your only choices.”

“My son will never let you harm me,” Gabrielle said firmly.

“Oh, he will,” Joseph stated blandly. “He was livid when I showed him the note. He said he will bear no ill will if I find I must harm you. His father offered to do the deed himself if I preferred.”

“His father,” Gabrielle spat. “I assume you mean Lord Burbridge.”

“Who else would I mean?” Joseph asked. He was greeted with a smirk and the puzzle pieces clicked together in his head. “I see.”

“Do you?” Gabrielle asked irreverently. “Do you really see? Jonathan was to be king!”

“May I assume your plans started well before my reappearance?” Joseph asked.

“Of course,” Gabrielle hissed. “We had planned for years for Matthew to overthrow Wilhelm. The man was a fool.”

“Interesting,” Joseph remarked. “It’s a shame I didn’t wait. Then I could have marched my men into the capital and killed Lord Wellington after he dispatched my unlamented half-uncle. Well, no matter. Can I assume that you were to be queen under Wellington’s reign?”

“Oh, yes,” Gabrielle told him. “I was looking forward to the day when I could slip a dagger between Burbridge’s fat shoulders. He is also a fool!”

“I’ve found him quite intelligent,” Joseph commented.

“Ha!” Gabrielle said. “The first thing he did when his father died was to defy your father. He thought King Welton was open to philosophical discussions. Rather than listen to the idiot, the king sent him back to live an anonymous existence at the manor house. It was more than four years before I saw the capital again. He was in a position to be one of your father’s foremost advisers – one of the most important men in the country – but he was too stupid to keep his mouth shut. When Welton fell, he had the same chance again. Wilhelm needed men like Burbridge at his side. Instead he took in that stupid little foal from the Westmont family. Alexander was too stupid to see what transpired between her and Jonathan but I saw it. It is a pity I didn’t kill her while I had the chance. At least something good would come from this.”

“You are sorely trying my patience, woman,” Joseph said. The woman’s smile turned almost feral.

“Oh, that’s right,” she said snidely. “I heard rumors that the girl was to be yours. If my son cannot be king, at least he can cuckold him every night.”

The backhand that sent her sprawling to the dirt came too quickly for Gabrielle to defend herself. Before she could gather her wits, Joseph grabbed the front of her dress and pulled her roughly to her feet.

“If I wished her to be my bride, I would eliminate the entire Burbridge clan – starting with Jonathan,” he said angrily. “I have consented to their wedding because I view it best for her and because I do not wish to wed her myself. If I had chosen differently I would have ensured her fidelity at the expense of your family. You and Lord Wellington are not the only one who can arrange a riding accident.”

Joseph released his grip and she fell onto her backside in the dirt. He kicked her hand when she tried to arise.

“We will conduct the remainder of our business with you where you belong,” he declared. “Feel fortunate I have not stripped you bare and beaten you with a cane for the disrespect you’ve shown your lawful husband. Quite frankly, the thought of seeing your naked flesh causes me to feel queasy. But if you speak harshly about any of my friends again – Lord Burbridge, Jonathan or Elena Westmont – you will find yourself staked naked before the entire camp before another syllable can leave your lips. Now finish your narrative or say your final words. Either way is fine with me.”

Gabrielle wanted to spit at Joseph but her mouth was too dry. She felt the sting on her cheek where his flesh had met hers. The fall to the hard ground had knocked the breath from her lungs and she felt tears flowing from her eyes.

“I have finished my narrative,” she said when she could speak. “I would be queen and our line would rule Azkoval forward.”

“It still might,” Joseph told her. “I issued orders that Jonathan and Elena were to rule in my stead should something befall me on this campaign. I have named their firstborn child as my heir until such time I produce a child of my own.”

Joseph had only one more question to be answered – one piece that did not fit.

“You realize that Jonathan would have died to protect me,” he said.

“I planned to pull him away from the fighting,” Gabrielle declared. “My son – the union of my love with Matthew Wellington – was too precious to be killed in battle.”

Joseph nodded, his suspicion confirmed.

“Jonathan has no idea who his father is,” he declared. “You may think Alexander Burbridge to be a fool but he raised a son who respects him and honors him. The treachery that you and Lord Wellington have coursing within you did not transfer to the son you bore him. That was your great failing. He isn’t your son with a murderous landholder. He is Alexander Burbridge’s son through and through. He would never have left his father’s side in battle. He would never have left my side in battle. He would have sacrificed his own life for the man who raised him and for his king – just as he would sacrifice his life for that ‘little foal from the Westmonts.’ You failed, Gabrielle. You failed just as surely as Wellington will. I want that to be the last thing you think about before you die.”

“I was to be allowed to choose my own punishment!” Gabrielle wailed. She thought she might be banished. She was the last daughter of one of Welton the Wise’s greatest supporters. She planned to choose exile as her punishment.

“And you believed me?” Joseph laughed. “You thought Alexander was a fool. You are clearly much dumber than he is.”

Joseph didn’t relish what he had decided. Gabrielle Burbridge would die trying to flee. She would be found the following morning, her neck broken from a fall. He looked around to make sure that no one was nearby and then grabbed the woman by her chin, lifting her face until she could look into his eyes.

Then with another hand behind her head, he killed her with a snap of his wrists. It took him a while to find an appropriate spot to leave her corpse. He had dragged her for part of the way so to an untrained observer it would appear that she fled through the trees and fell to her death down a ravine. That was the story he planned to pass along to Jonathan and Alexander Burbridge. It would do no good for Jonathan to learn of his heritage and it would serve no purpose for Lord Burbridge to learn of his wife’s deceit.

He was startled when he heard footsteps to his left and spun in that direction. He found Julia Wellington standing nearby.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.