The Rise of Azkoval
Chapter 2: Change in Leadership

Copyright© 2018 by Jay Cantrell

Joseph spent the night on the manor grounds with his men. The next two weeks would be spent travelling to Azkoval’s capital city – Tyrell. After a brief reconnaissance, it would be time to confront the usurper king, Wilhelm.

The conversation with Lord Burbridge and his son was strained after the revelation of Joseph’s and Elena’s betrothal. The man had spoken truly. Elena had been promised to Joseph. The marriage contract had been signed and sealed. The announcement was postponed by the coup.

Joseph wasn’t sure the betrothal was common knowledge. He doubted Elena knew of it but the look on her face told Joseph that she did. The same look also told him that she would prefer to be Jonathan’s wife than his queen.

Still, a contract was a contract. Not that there would be any record of the contract. But Joseph decided to put aside any decision on the matter until after Tyrell was conquered.

The trip to Tyrell took him past Elena’s former home. Burbridge and his son took 40 men at arms to secure Westmont and to prevent its current occupant from sending reinforcements to Tyrell.

Joseph thought about staying to ensure success but he reasoned that the time spent taking on Browingham would be better spent on the road to Tyrell. If Burbridge couldn’t hold the region, Joseph could send troops after he secured the capital.

“Lady Elena is to be the queen?” Genrico asked from beside Joseph.

Joseph was pulled from his thoughts.

“I think not,” Joseph answered. “I believe she would prefer not. And I would prefer not to have to kill the Burbridge line.”

Genrico nodded thoughtfully.

“But to renege on the betrothal is just as disrespectful as committing adultery,” he reasoned.

“It is not so much disrespect that I worry about,” Joseph stated. “If I wanted her, I would marry her and ensure her fidelity. But she would always prefer Jonathan and Jonathan would prefer her. He would fight for her if I chose to enforce the contract. I can be reasonable and let her go or I can face civil war within six months of my ascension. No one will be the wiser so long as people keep their own counsel.”

Genrico’s eyes had never left Joseph. A small smile graced his lips.

“You love her and you want her to be happy,” he said quietly so as not to be overheard. “She wants to marry Jonathan and her happiness means more to you than yours.”

Joseph cast a sideways glance.

“You know I have no time for niceties,” Joseph replied.

“Yes,” Genrico said through his grin. “That is indeed your reputation. But you forget that I have been with you from the start. I know the reality. The reputation served its purpose. I can tell this is difficult for you. But you’re probably making the right decision.”

Joseph shrugged and walked forward to head the column as it neared Tyrell.


Joseph and Genrico used a standard ruse to gain entrance to the king’s manor. They posed at dignitaries from Denaya. Few in Azkoval could speak Denayian and fewer still could read the language.

The Denayian government had cut off relations with Azkoval after The Fall. Many countries had. The policies of Wilhelm had assured that. The lack of trading partners had cut into the Azkoval economy. The port cities had all but dried up. So an official entreaty from the Denayian king would be greeted favorably.

The depths of Azkoval’s despair were evident in the quickness King Wilhelm and his queen, Sandra, agreed to meet the envoys. It caught Joseph and Genrico by surprise.

But Joseph spotted an opportunity when he walked into the chamber that once was his father’s haven. The king and queen were seated in high-backed chairs and the chamberlain stood to the king’s right. Two guards stood by the door as Joseph and Genrico entered.

Genrico could see the feral smile cross Joseph’s lips as he entered the chamber. Genrico knew without a doubt that Joseph would leave the room as king or corpse. Genrico knew his fate would follow that of his leader.

Joseph gave a sweeping bow in reverence to the king and queen. He spoke in Az with a slight trace of an accent, mimicking Genrico’s usage of the language as closely as he could.

“Greeting from King Olaf of Denaya,” he said regally and began reading from a scroll of paper. “In the days of yore, Azkoval and Denaya were great allies. In many instances we’ve lent support to one another in times of war and in times of peace. Our lands were dependent upon the other for survival.

“It is to both of our regrets that times have changed. It is our belief that it is far past time for our sovereignties to resume our ties of long ago.”

King Wilhelm beamed at the words. He was being recognized by a foreign power. His dream of legitimacy was realized – after 10 long years.

“From the nation of Denaya, I offer to King Wilhelm and Queen Sandra a gift,” Joseph said as he opened the basket that held the heads of Martis and Renati.

King Wilhelm and Queen Sandra moved forward to the edge of their seats.

“Good Genrico, would you be so kind as to offer this to the Chamberlain when the time is right,” Joseph said in Denayian. Genrico nodded gravely. A certain part of him was enjoying this.

“Years ago, King Wilhelm, a child and his guardian washed ashore in Denaya,” Joseph said. “A child torn from his homeland and forced to flee for his very life. Denaya nurtured the boy. It turned him into an adult and prepared him for his future.”

The king and queen were following the story with rapt attention.

“You have a child, do you not?” Joseph asked.

“We do,” the king said proudly. “He is away on travels at present. I do hope you will stay until you get the chance to meet him.”

Joseph smiled.

“I met your son two days hence, Wilhelm,” Joseph said with malice. “Along with yours, Chamberlain.”

The change in vocal tone was not lost on Wilhelm.

“No see here, dignitary that you may be...” Wilhelm blustered.

“Silence, usurper,” Joseph bellowed.

“I am Joseph, rightful King of Azkoval, and I have returned to claim my throne,” Joseph roared. “You three know my body was never found. You three know I speak the truth. Look at my ring. See my sword.”

Almost in a trance, Wilhelm’s eyes went first to Joseph’s ring finger then to his waist.

“You killed my father and raped my mother before my very eyes, Wilhelm,” Joseph spat. “As I lay hidden, watching you defile my mother, I vowed one day I would return the favor to you.”

Joseph gave an almost imperceptible nod to Genrico who rolled Renati’s head across the floor. It came to rest in front of the Chamberlain.

At the same moment, Joseph reached into the basket and dumped Maris’ head at the feet of Wilhelm and Sandra.

“You son is dead by my hand,” he said as his sword left his scabbard. “I have no interested in raping your pig of a wife so we are at the end of our little play.”

Joseph heard the sounds of swords clashing behind him. Wilhelm and his fat wife were decapitated on one stroke and the Chamberlain was dispatched on the next. Then Joseph joined the fray.

As the alarm went forth, the palace was overrun. The soldiers loyal to Wilhelm were met by Joseph’s army as they forced their way into the castle proper. The trio of guards in the throne room offered little resistance to Genrico’s and Joseph’s blade. They were loyal but they were soft. In less time than a meal, the castle and the city of Tyrell fell to King Joseph.


The ensuing weeks brought Joseph’s men through the nearer parts of the country. In the early part of his ascension, he was met by armed soldiers; conscripts mostly forced to fight by their lords. Joseph and his army tried their best to capture as many as possible unharmed.

As word of Joseph’s return spread through the country, it became more likely that the king and his band would be greeted by empty manors as the previous lords and ladies had looted as much as they could carry and fled.

Joseph had dispatched several armed groups on the trails to find and return the items to the new lords – whoever they turned out to be. Within eight weeks, Joseph and his army had reached the farthest eastern border of Azkoval and the word of his return had reached almost everywhere else.

By the time he returned to Tyrell, Joseph would be forced to appoint several new lords to replace those who had fled, been incarcerated or been killed.

“Genrico, please stay behind,” Joseph said when the group had begun to bed down a day’s ride from Tyrell. Genrico obeyed without question.

“You will not be returning with us,” Joseph said.

Genrico’s eyes widened in surprise. He was certain he had done nothing to displease Joseph. He was equally as certain that if he had, Joseph would have had no reluctance to point it out earlier.

“Milord?” he asked.

“The lands south of here are yours, Genrico,” Joseph said with a smile. “Or should I say Lord Genrico?”

“Milord!” Genrico answered in surprise. “I am no nobleman. I am a soldier!”

“Indeed, my friend,” Joseph said, “which is why your lands are closest to the capital. You will be the first to come to my aid if Tyrell is attacked. We have rid this land of many vermin over the past weeks but we have not killed them all. The Bishop is still in hiding and many of the merchants behind the coup are still unaccounted for. I have no doubt they will be back.

“In a few months, I plan to travel to the southern points of Azkoval. From there, I plan to dispatch an envoy to Creight to try to convince him to return those who sought safety there. The Caliph’s father was complicit in the coup – at least according to the bishop when he attacked us. I have no doubt that many of those who benefited from my father’s downfall will seek safe harbor there. I plan to take as many men as we can muster – perhaps 400. That gives you a while to raise an army that can protect Tyrell during my absence. It will take many months for us to travel to the Wellington region and longer if I must travel to Creight and force the Caliph’s hand. You will govern the country in my stead.”

Genrico was stunned.

“But I know nothing of running an estate let alone anything larger,” he persisted.

Joseph laughed.

“And I know exactly as much,” he replied. “We’ll learn together or we’ll fail together. It is you who have ensured the army has all it required. You are the one who suggested the divisions we now hold. I have seven others that I have selected to receive lordships for their service to me. Those are men you can rely upon to help you govern. I want you to pick a dozen of our better soldiers to accompany you to Larchman. That is where you will now call home, if it suits you.”


Word filtered slowly to the southernmost region of Azkoval. But it made its way there. The lordship was terrified that Joseph would arrive and wreak havoc on his fiefdom.

His contact in the north had said it was likely and that he should raise an army to defend himself. The woman had even sent a handful of retainers loyal to her to his aid.

If her Ladyship’s husband ever caught wind of their plans, he likely would kill them both. Likewise, if Lord Wellington’s wife found out it would spell the end of his life. But their plan was foolproof. Joseph had already taken care of the most difficult part – ridding Azkoval of its illegitimate king. If Joseph were to die without an heir, a pitched battle for the throne would be the next step.

Lord Wellington and his consort planned to make sure they were the last ones standing.

Joseph restored the Westmont heritage and appointed Jonathan Burbridge as steward, pending a legitimate heir. The young man was speechless, as was Elena for a moment. But she pulled Joseph aside after his announcement.

“I will fulfill the pledge my parents made,” Elena told him. “If you desire it.”

The young woman was torn. In her youth, Joseph was her constant companion. Lord Westmont and King Welton were good friends as were Queen Melina and Lady Westmont. Elena had known, even at age 7, that she would one day be Queen of Azkoval. After the coup the loss of her legacy angered her. But Jonathan Burbridge, two years older than Joseph and three years older than Elena, became a source of comfort.

As she grew older, her feelings for Jonathan had deepened – as had his for her. She had resigned herself that she would be Jonathan’s mistress but never his wife. At least she had resigned herself to that fate until she recognized an apparition in the marketplace.

She was embarrassed by the fact that her initial thoughts were identical to Jonathan’s. She could be the next Lord Burbidge’s wife. Then reality sunk in. She knew Joseph was aware of the arrangement. She also knew that Joseph was aware a formal marriage contract had been constructed and approved by the families.

Joseph turned to gaze at Elena.

“If I desired it, you would have no say in the matter,” he said harshly. He saw Elena flinch at his words.

Joseph paused to calm his nerves.

“It is not an easy decision for me, Lady Elena,” Joseph said. “There are numerous reasons I do not take this announcement lightly. I believe those who knew of what our parents proposed are either here or dead. Outside of Lord Burbridge and his heir, I believe the only other who knows is my aide, the new Lord Larchman. You might remember him as my friend, Genrico. He will remain silent.”

Elena still stared at Joseph. He laughed slightly at the weight of her gaze.

“The needs of the many, Elena,” Joseph said. “And all that. You would prefer to wed Jonathan Burbridge. I recognize that and accept it. Elena, I remember well what our parents decided but I also remember why they decided it. They thought we would be a good match. Yes, it would be a reward to my father’s dearest friend to have a grandson become king. In that spirit, I will name your first son as my heir in the event I do not have one.”

Elena’s mouth dropped.

“Joseph, if we wed, I would never betray you,” she said.

“I have already spoken my intent, Elena,” Joseph replied. “It was not because I fear you or distrust you. It is because it is what you want and it is what I think is best for my oldest friend. Be well, Elena. And I do expect to be invited to your nuptials.”

Elena pulled Joseph into a tight hug and he felt her tears on his neck.

“Be well, King Joseph,” Elena said.

Joseph waited until he was well away from the group before he wiped the small tear from his cheek.


The next months brought good tidings to much of Azkoval. Joseph’s return had ended the trade restrictions placed on the country. Joseph’s reputation had ended a good portion of the raiding and skirmishing across the border regions.

The Denayian envoy was the first to arrive. Others from neighboring countries soon followed.

The populace did not see the effects as quickly as Joseph would have liked so he suspended tax collections until further notice. He also released any conscripted soldiers from their duty so they might go tend to the family farms.

His actions secured the swift goodwill of his people – particularly because they were so markedly different from Wilhelm’s. The newly appointed chamberlain was not happy. It took a great deal of coin and goods to keep Tyrell running.

Choran had been the mercenary’s quartermaster at the beginning. Joseph had dispatched him to Azkoval a few years earlier so he could get a feel for the citizens and the situation.

“Shut down what doesn’t need to be running,” Joseph told the flustered man. “If it is not essential to the people, stop it. If it benefits only me or the gentry, end it. This has gone on long enough.”

The man was taken aback.

“Sire, there are things that we simply can’t end,” he said. “The Lords would be outraged.”

“Then I will kill them and appoint Lords who are not outraged,” Joseph informed him coolly. “Let the Lords know the options are somewhat limited. Accept it with grace or die. I have appointed more new landowners in the last month than Wilhelm ever did. If you will notice, they all came from men I trust. I will have no trouble eradicating an entire line and starting a new one.”

“It will be as you say,” the chamberlain said.

“Of course it will,” Joseph intoned. “Choran, it is simple. The usurper established the mindset that the people live for the pleasures of the king. That is not the case. The king lives to provide to his people. We can do without much of what Wilhelm established for his entertainment and the entertainment of his minions. In fact, that is a good way to start. If Wilhelm and his court enjoyed it, end it immediately. Pay the workers displaced twice what is owed for compensation. If the lords want to be entertained at the capital, they may pay for it out of their own treasuries. The people need not fear me but the lords most certainly do.”


Joseph learned a valuable lesson on his initial foray into the southlands: it is impossible to proceed with anything resembling stealth when the entire population of towns would line the streets for a glimpse of you.

Reluctantly Joseph turned back to Tyrell to reform his plans. Genrico, now Lord Larchman, was surprised to see Joseph’s entourage re-entering the capital only 12 days after it had left. He feared that Joseph had taken ill – or worse, had been injured or assassinated.

Instead he was greeted with a sheepish smile from his usually taciturn friend.

“I fear I should heed your counsel more frequently,” Joseph said ruefully. “We will be forced to divide the army once again in order for this to work. I will not be able to travel unnoticed.”

Genrico’s grin widened.

“Perhaps, Milord, it would be best for you to appoint someone else to maintain control of Tyrell in your stead,” he said. “That will permit me to lead the second group. The capital is well under control. I believe those who reside within the walls would fight more fiercely for you than even those men who came along with us.”

Joseph tilted his head questioningly.

“I have spent a great deal of time among the people of Tyrell,” Genrico replied simply. “I fear that you overestimated their quality of life before your return and I fear you underestimated their loyalty to you. It is simple. The small changes you have already put into place have bettered their lives tenfold. I saw that before you even left. That is why I suspected you would find cheering crowds wherever you went.”

Joseph pursed his lips but nodded.

“You are the savior not only to the people in the capital but elsewhere,” Genrico continued. “I have seen it in my own lands. The first thing I did when I took over was to suspend taxation for six months. Then I emptied the manor house of anything unnecessary and turned the items back to the people in your name. It had an immediate effect – not only on their morale of my people but on their way of life.

“Farmers were able to let their crops grow larger because they were not required to feed me without compensation. The blacksmith was able to work for coin because there was coin to be had. Mothers did not have to worry about the lord’s children using their daughters – or them – for playthings. People who fled the area – or were in hiding in the lands – felt free to return. No one feared prosecution on trumped up charges because one of the lord’s friends desired his wife or his land or his oxen. I did that on a small scale and I am almost revered in Larchman. You have done it on a large scale. It was inevitable that the people would like the chance to see their King and, perhaps, even to meet him.”

“And why are you explaining this to me now instead of previously?” Joseph asked, annoyance clear in his voice.

The chamberlain cleared his throat.

“May I speak candidly, Milord?” Choran asked.

“Of course,” Joseph replied. “When have I ever refused you that?”

Genrico patted Joseph softly on the shoulder.

“It is not so much that you refuse us the words,” Choran said. “It is simply that you do not listen to them. If you believe your way is best, the only way to disabuse you of that is to watch you falter. Genrico could have had his words engraved in silver and you would have paid them no heed. You had decided that you are simply a vessel for achieving what needs to be achieved – that no one would offer you credit because you do not believe credit is deserved. You wish to set right what is wrong – for the sole reason that it was wrong and it adversely affected the country.”

“Yes,” Joseph replied succinctly.

“The people do not see it that way,” Choran continued. “The difference between you and the masses is simple but it is also manifest. When you make a policy, you think about how it will affect Larchman and Burbridge and Westmont. You look at the entirety of Azkoval. The populace looks solely at the effect it has upon their lives. Lord Larchman is correct. The people of this country no longer live in fear. They do not fear that they will starve to death. They do not fear that they will be killed. They do not fear they will be conscripted and sent to their deaths. Conscripted soldiers who took up arms against you were released to their farms and their smithies and their inns. They were not slaughtered in the streets because you understood they did not fight out of malice toward you but because of fear for their lives.

“Many had heard of Johan the Merciless. Most of the people of this country had in one form or fashion. I know that you wish to carry that moniker for a while longer. But I fear that it is dead. You are now known as Joseph the Benevolent. Just as your father was Welton the Wise. Just as his successor was Wilhelm the Foolhardy. You are Joseph the Benevolent to the people of Azkoval.”

“That is ridiculous,” Joseph said.

Genrico laughed.

“Do you think your father or his idiot brother took those names themselves?” he asked. “Of course not. Those names are decided upon by the people. You should be happy it isn’t Joseph the Rancid Breath or something.”

Joseph could not help but laugh.

“Yes, I suppose so,” he replied. “Do you have a plan?”

“But of course, Milord,” Genrico replied, a twinkle in his eyes.


It was more than six weeks later when Joseph left Tyrell again for points southward. The delay irked him but he passed his time as Genrico and Choran had suggested. He traveled to nearby holdings to greet the people and listen to their complaints.

The complaints were few but meaningful. Joseph had come to learn during his life in Denaya that the common man had a good idea of how to live his life without intrusion from the lord or king. Still, the yoke of oppression was difficult to lift in one attempt without complete anarchy developing.

The men and women Joseph met on his travels seemed to take him at his word that he understood the situation but that it would take time for the changes he wanted in place to be fully implemented.

His most enthusiastic greeting came from Westmont. The return of Lady Elena had lifted the spirits of its residents and Jonathan Burbridge had proven to be an able administrator.

Jonathan was all smiles when Joseph and his troops arrived at the manor. It was smaller than the original Westmont hall. Jonathan and Elena had ordered the former dwelling torn down stone by stone to provide raw materials for an irrigation system to help the local farmers and to provide stone roadways for the merchants. Joseph was impressed.

Elena tried to stay in the background but neither Jonathan nor Joseph would permit it. Many of the ideas and achievements were her doing.

“I would like for you to assume stewardship of Azkoval during my extended absence,” Joseph announced to the stunned pair after they dined. “I have business to attend to in the southern regions and it is likely to be a year or more before I can return.”

Jonathan and Elena exchanged startled glances.

“Milord...” Jonathan began.

“Joseph,” the king corrected. “I believe we will all be friends in the end. I would prefer we start that friendship now, if you are not opposed.”

“Of course not!” Jonathan said. “And thank you, Milord. I mean, Joseph.”

Joseph smiled.

“And none of this Joseph the Benevolent stuff either,” he joked. “And Elena, I would prefer you refrain from using your childhood nickname for me, as well.”

Elena laughed and the stilted feeling of the meeting ended.

“Very well, but I think I should be able to use it once more ... Smelly Feet,” she said.

“Remember I had a nickname for you, too,” Joseph replied. “However, in light of the fact I’m sure you do not wish for your fiancé to have that information just yet, I will refrain.”

“Thank you,” Elena said at the same time Jonathan replied, “No fair!”

“Oh, I will tell you before the wedding,” Joseph told Jonathan. “However, do you believe it would be possible for you to assume stewardship?”

Jonathan looked at the tabletop but Elena spoke.

“We hoped that Jonathan could accompany your army to help root out the rest of the conspirators,” she said. “We have almost 70 men who have volunteered to take up arms on your behalf. I believe many of them will start to march southward in a few weeks with or without you.”

“Jonathan?” Joseph asked.

“I would prefer to accompany the army,” Jonathan answered after a moment. “I know my father has a large group that plans to join you as you pass. I believe many men have started their own groups, as well. Perhaps it would be wise for you to stay behind to govern and let the people who love you and support you fight the battles ahead.”

“That is not my way,” Joseph said simply. “In the future, perhaps. But this is my fight to lead.”

Jonathan nodded his understanding.

“Elena?” Joseph asked.

The woman looked confused.

“Will you act as steward for Azkoval while Jonathan and I are away?” Joseph asked.

“Me?” Elena asked, incredulous. “I cannot legally govern a holding let alone a country.”

“That will change shortly,” Joseph replied with a sigh. “Azkoval is one of the last patriarchal aristocracies. My father sought to change that and I will continue his work. However, now is not the time – nor do I think you wish to govern Westmont. Perhaps if the Burbridge lands were adjacent it would make sense. However, I can appoint anyone I choose to rule in my stead. While it is true that no woman has been given the authority before, I believe you are the correct choice now.”

“I agree that you’re as capable as I would be, Rina,” Jonathan said. “I also believe that King Joseph would not ask if he did not know it to be for the best.”

Edited by Pixel The Cat and BlackIrish; Proofread by Zom.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.