The Wedding Photographer - Cover

The Wedding Photographer

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 1

The first thing you should ask is how the hell I got here. Here being a nine hundred and fifty square foot house, more or less. Well I bought it. To be honest I own most of it, the bank still has a mortgage on it for six more months. Then it will be mine free and clear. I know it’s not much to look at now, but I do have plans for it.

Over the last five years I have done all the major repairs. You know things like a new roof. I had all the water lines replaced, the electrical service updated, and a complete insulation job done. Since the house is located in Grenada Ms, the full insulation job might have been a bit of overkill. It was still a good investment, I thought.

Lets not forget having ten storm windows installed on the outside of the house. The worst thing was I had to pay someone else to do all the work. I probably should tell you why I couldn’t do it myself. That is part of how the hell I ended up here.

First I need to explain about my association with the Mississippi Department of Public Safety. When I was involved in an ‘accidental shooting’, I had been a civilian employee for twenty two years. It was in the middle of the night, of course, when I took a bullet in the hip. Okay I was shot in the ass to be exact. Dead through the glutenous maxi-mas or whatever they call it. The nine millimeter bullet did a job on me. It shattered my hip joint. I got a full metal replacement hip joint, but that’s a story for another day.

I spent a year in rehab before they allowed back at work. Even then I had to sign a waiver, since I only have about sixty percent mobility in my left hip. Since I’m a civilian photographer, not a cop, I’m not a danger to anyone. The waiver says I won’t sue the department, if I fall and break something else.

My plan was to make it to my thirty year anniversary and get the full pension. The state police also insisted I work from a less active location. I went from Jackson to Grenada. The number of CID cases was less than half those in Jackson. I was also responsible for collecting evidence and keeping the records of it. It was a hard way to make the last seven years pass, but I was determined.

So when I started my last seven years, I was determined to set myself up for the end of my career. I bought a little house just outside of Grenada. It left me with a four minute drive to the CID office. I bought it cheap, because it was a dump. The first thing that the house hit me with was an active termite infestation. I took bids and got three within two hundred dollars of each other. The price for the treatment was seven hundred dollars cash. The guy was a licensed pest control expert, or so he said. Before he finished spraying, I was sick of the house.

I had been in the town of Grenada a couple of months when I met Deacon Burke. It happened like this.

“Lester honey I got someone you need to meet,” she informed me.

“Oh who would that be?” I asked.

“The tall straight man at the corner table. You asked me about a handy man last time you was in, well the Deacon knows everybody in town.” Janice my waitress suggested.

“Well, you make the introduction, and I’ll go along with it,” I suggested.

“Mr. Burke this here is Lester Martin, he works for the State Police,” she said.

I shook his hand and suggested, “Janice said you knew everyone in town.”

“Well I know a few. You looking for someone in particular?” he asked.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.