CHARLES, CLAIRE & KALISTA - Cover

CHARLES, CLAIRE & KALISTA

 

Chapter 6

Finally, we went back to dancing. I thought we could now practice the Cha-Cha and the Tango. Those were the dances we were expected to know for Cotillion later. We went back over the four Basic patterns, the New York step, along with both the Spot and Walkaround turns again. I added to that, the Crossover steps, and a really cool derivative step called The Chase.

After going through this without music, I looked at their selection. They had the Eliane Elias version of “Oye Como Va;” a perfect song for the Cha-Cha, less brassy than Santana’s. It’s also an over-four-minute song, so we can go over all the steps without restarting so many times.

Due to my focus on Claire during the dancing, there was applause from the masses again.

We took a break and as usual, my mother, along with Sarah brought us some lemonade. She sat with us and radiated with pride, telling us how good we were as dancers and how nice we looked together as a couple, although I felt a little hesitation, just before she said the word, couple.

Claire broke the moment by asking, “Charles, can I talk to you about what you said earlier, when your mom and I were working on the pizza?”

I looked over to my mom who, for a moment was going to say something, but got up taking Sarah with her and left us alone. She turned around at the kitchen door and raised two fingers.

“What do you want to know, Claire?” I said walking her over so we could sit down next to each other.

“Were you saying that you would want me to marry you, when we were old enough?”

“Not exactly. Just before I said the ‘L’ word out loud, I thought to myself, how I would have envisioned the exact scene about many years from now. In my head, I was thinking that we were still dancing together, but I didn’t actually think of being married — just dating.”

“So, you want to date me, but not necessarily get married to me, Charles?” I saw her eyes moistening as she waited for my response.

I wrapped my arms around her and said to her, “Claire. I care so deeply for you. More than I know how to express. However, we both have a lot of things going on in our lives at this moment in time and most importantly, we’re only twelve. I see us together for the rest of our lives, but you never know what’s going to happen tomorrow, much less years from now.”

“That ring I gave you is an absolute promise of friendship, for as long as we both live. It’s also a promise that we will be dance partners for as long as possible ... maybe until we teach our own grand children how to Waltz and Quickstep.”

“That’s fair, but I am going to tell you right now that I am holding out to be Claire Newman one day,” she said grinning.

“I understand that. Why don’t we focus on Cotillion tonight, the school dance on Saturday and keep moving forward as friends and possibly someday real soon, Lovers?” I said that last word, especially quiet.

“You better not let either of our mothers hear you say that very loud, Charles,” Claire said.

“Better not let your mothers’ hear what, Charles & Claire? What are you two talking about?” Annie interrupted.

“Just ... some plans for when school starts, Annie. Nothing really important — Junior High School stuff,” I said.

“Mom, how much longer are we going to be here? Cotillion is tonight, but we need to do some Tango practicing. If you need to get home or something, I understand.”

Mom replied, “Why don’t I take a run home, get you a change of clothes for Cotillion, then come back here and then take both of you to Cotillion?”

“You don’t mind doing all of that, Annie?” Sarah questioned.

“Not at all. Who knows, we are probably watching future National Dance Champions.”

“Thanks, Mom. You really are the best.”

“Practice the Tango, you two. I will be back ASAP — practice!”

“You heard the lady, Beautiful. Let’s Tango. We can practice until she gets back, then you can go and get changed for Cotillion.”

We went over the Basic Walks again and the Progressive Side Step and did them in combination. We added in the Promenade Position and the Progressive Link. After we went over it several times, I got out my iPod and selected Johnny Ray’s “Hernando’s Hideaway” and dropped the device in my shirt pocket...

MR. JOHNNY RAY
I know a dark secluded place,
A place where no
one knows your face...
A glass of wine —
a fast embrace,
It’s called...
Hernando’s Hideaway, Ole

And all you’ll
see are silhouettes
And all you’ll
hear are castanets
And no one cares
how late it gets
Not at Hernando’s Hideaway
Ole!

At the Golden Fingerbowl
or any place you go
You will meet your Uncle Max
and everyone you know
But if you’ll go the spot
that I am thinkin’ of...

Sarah watched us, as we danced around the room with big smiles on our faces. Claire’s shoulder-length hair flopped around as we did the Promenades. I suggested she put her hair in a ponytail or pigtails.

“Claire, go change,” I said as I saw Sarah watching us very closely, so I walked up to her and asked, “Ms. Sarah McArthur, would you care to dance?”

“Oh, Charles. Thank you. You must have read my mind. I am not as good as Claire, but I will try.”

“You are as pretty as Claire. That counts for something,” I said sincerely.

“Aren’t you the smooth talker?” she said.

The moment we were in dance position, I realized just how beautiful this redheaded future mother-in-law of mine was. Her blouse was tight enough that it was obvious she was much more ‘developed’ than I had previously determined. I got rather nervous, very suddenly. Did she see me look down at her bosom?

I restarted the music. We started together, but she got a little lost during the second four-count. I started counting out loud and then she picked up the steps. Not bad, I said to her.

“Maybe you should get Mr. McArthur out to dance with you. If he’s rusty, Claire and I would gladly give you two some free lessons,” I said a little relieved from our closeness.

Looking quickly past her chest and up into her eyes I said, “I would love to help you ... and your hubby get better at dancing. They say dancers make better lovers, although I wouldn’t know about that personally, Sarah.”

“Nice save there, Charles. I won’t tell Claire if you don’t?”

“Won’t tell Claire what, Mother?” Claire said as she re-entered the room looking so very pretty.

“Charles was teaching me to Tango and I wasn’t as good as my daughter. That’s what,” Sarah said, winking at me.

“You look stunning, Claire. Let’s just wait for my mom. She should be here any minute with my Cotillion duds. Now, have I got it right and the Summer Memories School Dance is this coming Saturday?”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.