CHARLES, CLAIRE & KALISTA
Chapter 3

 

Jimmy called a stop to what was going on and told everybody to take a break. He motioned us both up to talk to him for a minute.

“Charles, by any chance, have you checked out the Foxtrot online like you did with the Waltz?”

Claire was about to answer for us, but I cut her off and said, “Actually, Jimmy — I did, but I never had the chance to show it to Claire.”

Claire looked at me with her dimpled smile.

“Well,” Jimmy said, “Do you want to show it to her now? As quick a study as you two seem to be, she should learn it in what? Maybe ten minutes?”

Claire was about to tear me a new one when I said to her, “No time to get mad, Beautiful. Let me show you this dance.”

We went into the corner of the hall, and I explained to her that she went backwards this whole dance. Then, I explained to her that it was a four-step dance instead of the three steps that was the Waltz. Slow — slow — quick, quick; slow — slow — quick, quick; that’s the rhythm of the Forward Basic Foxtrot.

We did it about four times, and then she looked at me saying, “Charles Newman, if you weren’t such a good dancer — and so darn cute, I would be really mad at you for fibbing to me about the Foxtrot.”

We walked back over to Jimmy, and I said, “OK Jimmy, I taught her the Forward Basic.”

Glancing at his watch, he said, “You taught her in three minutes? I had better hire you before you go out and start your own Cotillion.”

“Yeah, right, Jimmy,” I said as my girlfriend beamed at me.

Jimmy got everyone’s attention and told everyone that there would be a demonstration of the next dance they will be learning.

“Charles & Claire will now demonstrate the Basic Forward Foxtrot step. It is a traveling dance meaning that instead of staying in one place, like the Waltz. The Foxtrot moves quickly around the floor. Listen to the music as Charles & Claire shows us all how it’s done.”

He put on the song “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” by Frank Sinatra and gave us his simple command, “Dance!”

I’ve got you under my skin
I have got you, deep in the heart of me
So deep in my heart that
you’re really a part of me
I’ve got you under my skin
I’d tried so, not to give in
And I said to myself this
affair it never will go so well
But why should I try to resist
when baby I know so well
That I’ve got you under my skin

I took Claire’s hand, and we assumed the position and literally danced around the rest of them going counter-clockwise, as I found online. After we had made a complete circle, Jimmy started a light applause and began teaching the rest of them as the song went on.

Brian and Susan came up to us, and he said, “You have been holding out on me, Charles!”

“Brian, all I did was look at the steps on the Internet, and then my mom helped me learn the dance.”

Claire turned to look at me and with a wicked smile said, “So — there is another woman — how could you?” I thought she was going to slap me, but instead, she hugged me. Go figure women ... even twelve-year-olds.

Claire and I went back to dance the Foxtrot in the same counter-clockwise circle that everyone else was. Once or twice, someone almost stumbled upon us, but the ‘International Dance Panic Signal’ came to the rescue.

It actually does come in handy sometimes. It’s funny that when you are learning a new dance, you worry about counting or the other person’s feet and, of course, the rhythm of the music being played, but when you know the dance, I mean really, truly know it, you can, in fact, concentrate on your partner, her beautiful red hair or her pretty eyes.

I was dancing with the prettiest girl there, and I was just in a different place. I smiled at her, and she smiled back. We had gotten so comfortable dancing with each other; we became physically closer to each other than the rest of the other couples. My conscience, and my mother told me, they may be the same, must maintain ... distance ... from Claire.

The song was over, and Jimmy got everyone’s attention.

“All right then, we have learned the Left Box Turn and The Progressive Movement Turn as well as we have begun the first of many Foxtrot steps. Let’s give a great big thank you to Charles & Claire, for demonstrating for us this evening.”

Applause rang out. Jimmy continued, “Now, we are going to finish our hour with some Waltz. Feel free to use all the different steps you have learned. Charles & Claire, please come forward for a moment?”

I took Claire by her hand, and we went over to Jimmy and asked, “Yes, Jimmy, what do you need?”

“Well, I first want to say thank you for showing up ready to dance and for being my demonstrators. I don’t know why, but I was positively certain you had learned those other steps. Would the two of you be interested in being my official ‘Dance Demonstrators’ each week? I can give you my list of dances and steps I plan to teach in advance. You two can learn them during the week and show them on Tuesday nights. This would mean you would have ‘homework’ each week. Would that be all right with you?”

Before either of us could respond, Jimmy went on to say, “Oh yes, and it would mean your entire cost of the Cotillion would be refunded, provided you show up and are ready to demonstrate each week throughout the rest of this year’s Cotillion schedule.”

I looked over at Claire, and she had the biggest smile, and she said, “Of course, Jimmy! Charles and I would love to help you!”

Jimmy responded, “I haven’t had a decent demonstrating couple in almost eight ... no nine years. Sometimes, I have had a good young man or perhaps a fine teenage girl, but I haven’t seen a twelve-year-old couple who ever picked it up like you do ... for as far back as I can recall.”

He gave us a list of what he was going to be teaching the next couple of weeks, and then we joined the rest of the waltzing couples.

“I feel so special!” Claire said

“You are. And you dance very well too, CC,” I said looking into her beautiful brown eyes.

“When you look at me like that and talk to me like that, I just want to kiss you so badly, Charles Newman,” she giggled leaning very close. Close enough to kiss.

I put my hand up in front of her face and said, “Hold that thought. We do have an example to set for the others.”

“Oh! All right. What’s next on the list, X?” she asked kissing the palm of my hand and breaking into the smile with dimples that has found its way into my heart and my life.

I took my right hand off her hip while still dancing and went into my pocket and read the list off to her, “The Foxtrot has a lot of variations; the Forward Basic we already know, the Left Turn, Promenade, Box Step, Turning Box, Side Step, and the Right Turn. We can learn them all by next week, can’t we?”

I went on, “One of us will have to come over to the other’s home. Your place, or mine, Gorgeous? Sorry, I couldn’t resist saying that. Out of all the Cotillions in the world, you had to walk into mine.”

“Oh Charles. We’re going to be his demonstrators. That sounds like so much fun.”

“Claire, the best part of all of this is that I will be able to keep dancing with the prettiest girl I have ever met.”

The song ended, but we didn’t realize it as Claire placed her deliciously cute lips on mine.

The place erupted into applause, and a couple of ‘awws’ came from the girls.

I took Claire to the drink table and told her we needed to be more careful. Of course, to her that meant to kiss me again. She hurriedly cleaned off my lips.

Mom arrived early to see what was going on, and saw Jimmy. He had motioned at her to come over to him. She did, and he informed her how good he thought Claire, and I could become. He finished by saying, “Mrs. Newman, I see your son must have gotten his grace and style from you. Let him tell you what I have asked of them. It should be their surprise.”

Claire and I were talking, and my mother walked up behind Claire putting a finger up to her lips to keep me quiet. She said with a fake cry in her voice, “So, this is the little hussy that has taken my boy away from me?”

Both Claire and I were dumbfounded by this remark. (I had to play my part.)

Mom continued on, by talking directly to Claire, “I am kidding, sweetheart. You two are so cute together. You are going to be the King and Queen at your upcoming dance.”

“Mom,” I blustered, “Jimmy has asked Claire and I to be his ‘Dance Demonstrators’ for the rest of the Cotillion season. You will get your money refunded at the end of the summer?”

“We’re supposed to learn the steps ahead of time and then show them off ... demonstrate them in front of the rest of the kids. I said yes, if it’s all right with you and is also OK with Claire’s parents?”

“I have got no problems with that at all. Claire, go ask your mother? We will wait for you,” mom said.

“Thanks Mom. You are the best,” I said as I hugged her.

“Save your flattery for your girl, Honey.”

“My ... what? What did you call Claire?” I sputtered.

“You heard me — It’s written all over your face,” she laughed.

I broke into a great big smile, saying, “Thanks, Mom. I love you, you know?”

“I know, X,” she said touching my nametag.

We heard a shriek coming towards us, and its name was Claire.

“My mom says it’s OK with her. We have to figure out where, when, and how often to practice.” Claire was out of breath, but still stunning.

“Find out if we can take you home with us,” mom offered. “You can work tonight and then I will get you home around ten-thirty or so?”

“That sounds wonderful Mrs. Newman. Let me go ask my mother?” Claire said walking briskly away.

“That’s awfully nice of you, Mom. I would like to go with you when you take her home if that’s all right with you?”

“You know it will be, Charles. I am so happy for you. She really is a lovely girl.”

“Yeah, Mom, I think so, too. She might be the one.”

“What do you mean, the one?” mom said with a worried sound in her voice.

“The one ... you know, the one to spend my whole life with, Mom. Don’t worry? I know I am only 12 1/2, but I plan on having the best grades in my class, just as long as Claire will be with me alongside me ... to dance with me.”

“Now Charles, be careful what you ask for?” mom said, putting her hand on my shoulder.

My girl joined us, having brought her mother with her, “Mrs. Newman, this is my mother, Sarah McArthur. Mom, this is Charles’ mother, Antoinette Newman.”

“My, what a beautiful name. Do you have a nickname? Like Annie or Toni?” she asked, looking her over.

“Actually, when I was these kids’ age, that was what my first boyfriend called me, Annie.”

“So, that young man turned into your husband?” Mrs. McArthur casually speculated.

“No, actually my fourth boyfriend turned into my husband, but that’s a long story,” mom said with a girlish laugh.

Mrs. McArthur responded, “Well, with our children becoming the Dance Demonstrators, I suspect I will hear the story eventually. Why don’t you and your family along with Brian and Susan’s, all come over this next weekend for a BBQ? We can all get to know each other better that way. Claire has your number. I will call tomorrow and set it all up. We love to have BBQs and my husband loves to cook. Think about it?”

“That does sound like a lot of fun, Sarah. Come on, you two. I am cutting into your practice time,” Annie said.

“Wow, thanks Mom, you will love their place, and they serve really good food.”

Mom responded with, “Well, if you two stay a couple all through school, that would mean a lot more BBQs.”

Claire spun around to face me, repeating, “A couple! Charles ... exactly what did you TELL your mother about me?”

“Nothing, pretty girl. She just knows how to read our faces. Let’s go. We have got a lot of dance steps to learn.”

“Yes, we do, ‘X!’ Yes, we do,” she said grabbing me by my tie. We walked out of the building heading off to my place ... hand in hand.

We got in the back seat together, and I saw Mom looking at me in the rear-view mirror.

We all gathered in the living room, “Before we start learning any new steps, Claire, have you looked over the ‘Rise and Fall Practice Exercise?’” I asked.

“I just glanced over it, X,” she replied.

“Let’s look at it together. I have it in my pocket, Be Prepared, you know?”

That made Mom chuckle, as it had Claire.

I read the exercise out loud:

“Begin standing upright with your feet together toes pointing forward. Imagine that you are standing in front of a clothesline. The goal is to go underneath it without ducking or bending at the waist.”

“As you step forward with your left foot on ‘One,’ you must bend at the knees to clear the clothesline. You are now beyond it so you can straighten your knees and step with your right foot to the side on ‘Two’ and draw your feet together on ‘Three.’”

“OK, feet together,” mom said to us. “A clothesline would be no lower than just below the top of your heads. Now, remember to bend at the knees as you go forward, X.”

“MOM!”

Claire giggled.

“Sorry ... Charles, 1, 2, 3 and 1, 2, 3 and go; There you go! Claire, bend your knees a little more than Charles is, OK?”

“Yes, Mrs. Newman.”

“Call me, Annie.”

“OK, Annie,” Claire responded, giggling again.

“That looks very good, Charles, try it with me, now?” Annie said.

“Mother!”

“Oh. Just for a minute, Charles. I want to learn this stuff too. I can’t let Claire have all the fun, can I?” mom said, as she approached me to take her turn.

Claire stepped aside and started, “1, 2, 3 and 1, 2, 3 and go. Very good Annie — I can see where Charles gets his natural talent.”

We danced for a moment, and then my mother, and I stopped. She leaned into me and said, very quietly, “I think she’s the one too, Charles?”

She rubbed out a tear from my eye, and then one of her own.

“I am going to leave and let you two learn the new steps. I was talking to your mother before we left, and she’s expecting you home no later than eleven pm. Use your time well, kids,” she said leaving the room.

I looked at my watch and said, “Good. We have over an hour and a half to work on steps.”

“However, a little motivation,” my girl said giving me a kiss on the lips, then wiping it off just as quickly. We looked at each other for a long five seconds.

We went through the Left Turn. It was simple enough. We got it down pretty easily. Then, came the Box Step, similar in design to the Waltz Box Step, you are just dancing at a different tempo.

The next step to learn was called the Promenade, more of a position change than an actual step. It’s also a very showy move. During the Promenade, our hips touched a little and, of course that made my girl break into her fabulous smile.

“Let’s take a break CC,” I said.

“OK — X, I am thirsty, could I get something to drink?” she asked for.

As if on cue, Mom came in with a glass pitcher of water and some glasses with ice already in them. “A little birdie told me you would be taking a break about now.”

They both giggled. It’s a conspiracy, I tell you!

“So, how’s the Bradshaw Family Cotillion’s First Couple doing tonight? Is everything else coming as easily as the Waltz steps?” she inquired.

Claire responded, “Yes, Annie. Charles really understands how to break it down into concepts I can easily understand. He would probably be a great dance teacher, for real.”

That made me blush and I replied, “Mom, you are only as good as your partner lets you be.”

Claire looked at me and in front of my own mother, gave me a light kiss on the lips. I couldn’t believe it! I was screaming inside my head, and Claire had turned to look at my mother.

She was smiling at us as she said to Claire, “I understand that you need to ‘mark’ your territory, dear, so when you two get to Independence Junior High School; you will be at the top of the pecking order.”

“Mom, I have asked Claire to stop doing that, but she won’t listen to me,” I said, raising my arms in mock frustration. My girl wiped my lips clear.

Claire smiled at my mom and turned to me and said, “Charles — let’s get back to dancing. I want to knock Jimmy’s socks off next Tuesday. I will also make sure we have a chance to practice at the BBQ this weekend. What time is it?”

I looked at my watch and answered, “Nine thirty-five — we still have about fifty minutes to practice dancing. What’s next? Oh, yeah, The Turning Box Step, it’s the Waltz Box with an extra step. Mom, can you leave, so we can concentrate, please?”

She gave me such a look and left but didn’t close the door.

“OK, Claire. Let’s try it? Yeah, that’s it. We got it! Isn’t it fun to be good at something, CC?”

“Yeah, X,” she said, looking into my eyes deeply. I told her that my mom might come in take her home, and we would never be able to see each other again, much less dance. That did it. She settled down and we nailed another step.

“Claire, my head is kind of full of all these new steps. Instead of trying to learn any more newer ones, let’s practice all the Foxtrot steps we know. Let me find a song for us to dance to.”

I found a great old Billie Holiday song, “Night and Day.” I started it up, and I walked over to Claire, as though we hadn’t ever met before and said, “Hello Miss. My name is Charles Newman. Would you care to dance?”

I pulled her up as she said, “Oh, hello Charles. My name is Claire McArthur, but you can call me CC, and I’d love to dance.”

While I have a low opinion of my father, he has acquired, obviously with Annie’s help, a very large album collection.

I have a collection of music on CDs along with a growing collection on my phone.

My heart was beating really fast, and before I could kiss her, Mom walked back in, sat down and watched us.

Mom started the song again. We both looked over to her and nodded our heads in acknowledgement and started to dance.

The song started with four instrumental measures before the vocals begin with the chorus...

ELLA FITZGERALD
Night and day, you are the one,
Only you ‘neath the moon
or under the sun
Whether near to me, or far,
It’s no matter
darling where you are,
I think of you Day and Night
Night and Day, why is it so?
That this longing for you
follows wherever I go

Every time the song used the lyric, ‘I think of you’ I would sing the lyric with Ella. She wouldn’t mind?

We kept dancing, changing steps every so often. Claire seemed to anticipate when I was about to change something, and every single time she would glide with me into the change of step.

Sometime during the dance, Mom slipped away and went into the kitchen to get us all something to drink. When the song ended, she again came out and said, “Drinks on the house for the lovely dance couple.”

We piled into the car and headed to take her home. I got in the back seat with her, and I saw my mom glance back, often. Claire had her arms around mine like she was hugging a teddy bear. Mom saw this and smiled quietly to herself.

About halfway there she said, “There is Independence Junior High School. Wave to it, you guys. You are going there in a little over two months.”

“You know kids, at the risk of saying something that will likely embarrass both of you, I strongly believe you two could become Professional Ballroom Dancers. You have to get through Junior High and High School first, of course, but there are, I would guess, as many as twenty colleges that offer a Performance Arts Degree with a specialty in dance. There are also private colleges.”

That news caused the shrieker to return, “Charles! Oh, Charles ... we could be professional dancers. Wouldn’t that be the absolute greatest?”

I looked up at Mom and told her, “Thanks for the encouragement, but we’re only twelve going on thirteen.”

She and Claire both giggled, as she went on to say, “I am just saying ... that’s an option you two have, as good as you are already.”

For the rest of the drive, we cuddled a little, arm in arm. She wanted to kiss me and I really wanted to kiss her...

“We’re here! Charles, help Claire out of the car and walk her to her front door,” mom said.

The car trip clearly didn’t take long enough.

“Yes mother. I planned on that,” I said with a smile on my face.

“Thank you for a lovely evening, Annie. You have a marvelous home,” Claire said as she got out of the car.

We walked together to her front door. I took her other hand, and we just stood there looking at one another. I am not really sure if my feet were touching the ground. Claire said, “Goodnight, ‘X’ — I had a lovely time. Your mother’s so nice.”

She hesitated a bit, and I felt the googly-eyes coming on. Despite that, I kissed her on the lips, quietly saying, “I had a great time too, Claire. I will see you on Sunday at what time?”

“Same time as last week. Nine in the morning, come early if you would like,” and raising her voice a little, “Bye, Mrs. Newman.”

Mom waved from the car. “Bye Bye, CC. Until we meet again.”

We were about halfway home, when I turned to my mom and said, “Thanks a lot.”

“For what, honey? I am just doing my job as your mother?”

“Yeah. I know, but you do it awfully well.”

It was quiet the rest of the way home.

That night I had a hard time falling asleep, because I couldn’t get the lovely Miss Claire McArthur out of my mind.

The next day, first thing I did was to call Brian to find out if he and Susan were going to the rather hastily called BBQ this weekend.

“Yeah Charles. We wouldn’t miss it for the world. Susan and most of her family will be there. By the way, I asked Susan if she would be my girlfriend, and she said, ‘Yes.’”

“Yeah Brian. High five over the phone, buddy.”

“Junior High School is going to be so much better than Elementary School ever was,” I commented.

My father, Charles Sr, is an old-fashioned, high-strung Type A personality workaholic and likely alcoholic! (Our liquor cabinet has many different brand names inside it.)

He has slowly gone from working late one night a week, to three and now almost every night. He doesn’t get home until sometimes, two in the morning when he does get home. He’s the general manager of a financial service’s corporation with a regional office in downtown Columbus. I’ve never been there, but I assume he has a couch, like those guys in MAD MEN!

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.