Seasonal Dates: a Simple Christmas Story - Cover

Seasonal Dates: a Simple Christmas Story

Copyright© 2017 by radio_guy

Chapter 2

My work week went by with no problems. I ate lunch with Kathy and others during the week. Next week would be our Christmas party held from lunch to the early afternoon with the rest of the day off. I looked forward to that.

I worked on things in the condo Saturday. On Sunday, I dressed and went to Sunday school and church. I walked into the Sunday school class and there was Gloria with another young woman. Lois was to one side but sitting next to Gloria was younger woman about my age. Dark hair and blue eyes, this woman was attractive also. Gloria waved me to a seat across from them.

“Randy, this is Nadia Clark. Nadia, this is Randy Jackson, a new member of our class and church though he hasn’t made all that formal yet.”

Nadia looked at me and gave me a small smile. “It’s good to meet you, Randy.”

I replied, “It’s good to meet you, too, Nadia. Hello, Gloria, Lois.” I looked at each and then sat down. Pam started the class. She was introducing the letters to the Corinthians today. It was a good lesson, well taught. Nadia made a couple of good comments. Loise was quiet and looked pensive or somehow subdued compared with last Sunday. We had a closing prayer and everyone started to the sanctuary.

I asked, “Gloria, where’s Helen?”

“She’s back at school with her guy.” Gloria had my arm. To her other side walked Nadia.

Nadia said, “It’s good to be back. My parents live just out of town and I was visiting them last weekend.” She continued. “I work here but try to visit them at least once a month.”

I nodded. I had done that when my parents were alive. I got up some courage. “Would you join me for lunch today?” Obviously referring to both of them.

Gloria said, “How about it, Nadia? We’ve got to eat and Randy has been a good guy.”

I could tell from the sound of her voice that Nadia was a little reluctant. “I guess that would be okay. Like you said, we do have to eat.” I nodded. We were at the sanctuary doors and sat down about two-thirds of the way toward the front like before. While Lois didn’t sit with us, she did sit close. I thought she looked a slight bit wistful. It was another good service. After the benediction, we left for our cars to meet at a local Mexican restaurant at Gloria’s suggestion.

I walked in with a female on each arm. That had been Gloria’s idea. They were both looked good and I was proud to have them on my arms. I made no suggestive moves. I didn’t want to make Nadia any more skittish than she already seemed. We were seated at a table. We gave our drink orders for tea and sat back.

As we waited, Nadia asked, “Randy, what do you do?”

“I’m one of the engineers watching over production for Chase Products.”

“That sounds interesting.”

“Some days more than others. My job is to work with the production employees to make their jobs easier and safer without slowing production. Hopefully, we will increase production with some of our efforts. I do enjoy solving problems or preventing them. I figure that a problem prevented helps production, if for no other reason, by keeping people from being injured.”

Nadia smiled. “I do cost accounting for Bella Containers.”

I exclaimed quietly, “Bella’s plant is next door to Chase. Do you work there?”

“Yes, that’s the only location in this area. Years ago, before I went to work for them, everything in the southeast was consolidated to that location.”

I knew a fair bit about their computer systems and methodologies and we talked about that. Gloria listened and smiled. We weren’t in a hurry to leave and continued to talk to each other while Gloria was involved and listening. Our plates were cleared off and I grabbed the check, pulled some bills from my wallet, and stood.

Nadia said, “There was nothing said about you paying for lunch. We should split the bill.”

I grinned at her. “Next time, you buy and we’ll be even.”

Gloria grinned. “You two work close enough that you could meet for lunch during the week.” I knew a set up when I heard one but I sort of hoped Nadia would bite. She was attractive though neither in the class of Lois nor Gloria. Also, she seemed more skittish than Lois though Lois didn’t join for lunch last week or this week.

She did bite. She said, “I guess we could do that and be even.”

We went out to our cars and Nadia and I traded business cards. I wrote my cell phone number on the back of mine. I said, “Nadia, call me any time.”

She looked at me curiously. “I might cramp your style.”

“I don’t have any style to cramp. I would appreciate a call from you.”

We all left for our homes.

It was later that afternoon when my phone rang. It was Nadia. “Randy, I want to talk to you about something.”

“Sure, go ahead.”

“Not on the phone. May I come over?”

“Okay.” I said it slowly.

“Just talk. Where are you?”

“I’m at my condo in my recliner.”

She chuckled. “Typical man. Tell me where and I’ll come to you.” I did and she said she would be there in fifteen or twenty minutes.

I hadn’t changed clothes other than removing my tie and coat. I pulled my loafers back on and stood straightening my rumpled shirt a bit. I looked around the living room but decided that it was clean enough. Eighteen minutes after the call, my doorbell rang. It was Nadia.

I opened the door. “Come in, Nadia.” I looked but no one was with her. I shrugged mentally. She was seating herself on my couch. So, I returned to my recliner which was close to where she sat. “What can I do for you, Nadia?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.