The Empire - Book 3 - Cover

The Empire - Book 3

Copyright© 2017 by Hunter Johnson

Chapter 16: Insurrection on Beeliar

Cassius and Alana invited themselves over for dinner that evening. Alana was in fine form. She had very much enjoyed her role that afternoon, as a support for Jason. She liked the role of mother and of aunt and missed the time when her daughters and son had really needed her. She liked to be needed by her family. They had been independent for more centuries than she wished to remember.

Alana loved telling stories, and she told what happened in graphic detail. She told them all about how the situation had evolved, and how Jason and Julia built the boxes on the ship. She had obtained the original laboratory security footage of Jason’s request, and was an excellent mimic of Bertoli. She had called Julia who had told her the story about Jason being in a total panic about building the boxes, forgetting about his resources on the ship, and was delighted to embarrass him.

Gamma relished telling Alana and Cassius how she had watched Jason agree to be the slave of Julia for a half day, on the weekend, if she could solve his problem. He also played back Jason’s referring to Julia as mistress in Jason’s voice exactly as Jason said it. Celia and Felicia loved the stories and enjoyed the entertainment thoroughly. Janet Malone and Phoebe Harris obviously enjoyed Jason’s clear embarrassment, and they all laughed uproariously at Jason’s concern about how he would solve the problem. He was so capable, yet so vulnerable.

Alana went on to tell them about Jason’s masterful presentation of the mathematics which she said was so elegant and beautiful that it almost brought her to tears. She said that she had a lifetime of mathematics, and only rarely saw something expressed as magnificently as he had. She said that she had obtained from Norbert the specifications that he had provided Jason’s AI and had looked at the mathematics there. She was quite surprised that it was not the mathematics that Jason had described. She said that the entire mathematics was in a completely different branch of the mathematics of the Collective. She said that Jason must have converted the Collective mathematics, into a more familiar form of the Empire, to simplify his argument.

She said that both professors were enormously impressed when she told them that he’d had to get the equipment specifications from elsewhere, but they were very impressed with his mathematics, and then when they looked at the physics they found that Jason had done a similar conversion of physics from the Collective version. Both of the conversions were theoretically brilliant and would have been thought of as being as impossible as constructing the smaller box.

“We also watched the events of Professor Bertoli in the laboratory. Her behavior was appalling, and I was ready to fire her. Jason never represented the technology as his own. She could just not accept that somebody could do something innovative, not even aliens who were further ahead. She told them all that Bertoli found herself in such an untenable situation that she resigned and had even apologized.

Norbert told the story of Jason solving a number of physics problems that had never previously been solved, but was so anxious about the solutions that he asked Norbert to send them on to his friend at Charassa. He said that his physics professor friend spoke to Jason in order to get him to explain the last three solutions to problems that even in the Collective, had still not been solved.

“Jason,” said Jonathan thoughtfully, “you have done us proud, and when I say us, it is both the Empire and the Collective. I think we need to stop talking about you having come from a primitive world. It has no relevance to anything, any longer. Realistically it’s where you are now that I find so interesting and so puzzling. I can so easily understand that you got yourself in the tizzy yesterday. You are still young and I believe the experience of being a slave will be good for you. It helps stimulate thinking. Half a day may not be enough in your case.

“Yet in so many situations you have shown judgment and created solutions, where others could not. Today I had a long series of discussions with Montgomery and Winston who are flying here to visit, as they miss you. Porquenta also wants you to visit, and he is threatening to make an avatar that can travel and represent him but be independent.

“They have discussed with me this theory that you have descended and were placed in your current body and you are currently still in the process of evolution. I have initiated this discussion with some of the scientists and philosophers in the Collective who find it an interesting notion but do not have any ideas that may help you understand yourself better. I know you are very concerned about who you are, but unfortunately we cannot help you progress any further.

“Both Montgomery and Winston now are seriously considering living in an organic form, again. They like their avatars and are spending as much time in that form off their planet as we in the Collective are spending in human form.

“The point of what we are trying to say is that we do wonder whether some of the mathematics and other information that you are producing comes from that further advanced state. It would explain the speed of your capacity to derive this information. Alternately the Collective experts believe that your rebuild, complete brain restructure, additional AI, and a massive group of crystals may have created a unique entity with unparalleled genius. They do acknowledge the way your brain has grown; due to your ancient DNA allows you a unique ‘add on’ function. Whatever it is, Jason, I see you as being a gift to us all. I regret we cannot tell you which explanation has more validity or whether both contribute. I am grateful to have been a friend of yours, and hope to remain as a friend for a very long time.”

One of Cassius’s guards approached him and whispered in his ear. Cassius excused himself, and moved into an adjacent room for a few minutes and then returned.

“Please excuse us both, as we need to return to the palace. There appears to be battle that is evolving on one of the more distant industrial planets. It is being described as an insurrection by the governor. The planet is known as Beeliar, and it has a population of four billion people. It is very rich in a number of metals that are easily mined. It has rare mineral sands that are used in the manufacture of several strategic alloys, and is also an agricultural planet. There is excellent employment on the planet, a considerable amount of recreational facilities, and probably everything that you would think would lead to good morale.

For some reason all of that is going down the drain; there are two military bases, and it appears that one has gone feral. The total number of troops that appeared to be involved is close to 2 million. They are attacking mines and factories, and are destroying the infrastructure of the planet. My problem is that my closest fleet will take seven days to get there, and with fewer troops than there are on the ground. It will take two weeks to assemble a fleet to stop the attack. Is there any way that your people can be of any help?” he said, addressing his query to the table in general.

Jason realized that Cassius had changed his thinking in midstream. He clearly had been thinking about solving the problem himself, going back to the palace, and getting everything organized then while explaining the problem he realized other solutions could be possible.

“It may be possible to ask Ouma Chatzke if she can send a fleet,” said Jonathan. “I can communicate with her in a few minutes if we agree that it’s a good idea.”

Jason looked at Celia and Felicia. “Admiral and General, can you tell us what your thoughts might be on this matter,” Jason asked.

“Yes, dear,” they said together synchronously and then Felicia continued. “There is much more to this, than meets the eye. This is a remote planet. If I was from the roaches, I would see the planet as a prime target, as it’s a long way away and hard to defend. My first thought is that there is a reasonable prospect that this is a diversion and/or a trap. The cockroaches, by now, have a good idea that we are on to them. They don’t have enough forces on Laomedeia to do us damage. Beeliar is a perfect foothold into this galaxy.

“I suspect we are looking at them trying to establish a beachhead in this galaxy. If you look at the timeline, and the speed which their ships can move, it’s a long way away for the Empire to defend but they can use the situation to set a trap for the first fleet to respond and test their new ships and weapons they have developed. If their agents contacted them and said the plan was beginning to fall apart within the Empire and were asked what to do, this would be an excellent choice, particularly as they may have concentrated troops on Beeliar. We know the troops that attacked Jason came from Beeliar. Strategically, in their position, I would concentrate our people at a high value remote planet and plan to scare off the Empire when they try and retake the planet. The attack appears to be troops that are destroying assets. That will bring a vengeful fleet and they know how long it will take,” Admiral Felicia McDonald said.

“They believe, there are no quickly accessible naval assets. Emperor Cassius estimates two million troops on the planet, so they know he will send perhaps triple that number. That is what they expect the response to be. He would not send a big fleet, but would concentrate on a planetary invasion,” said General Celia Ford

“In the meantime on the ground they consolidate their position. The question about the fighting is whether it is real, or whether it is part of a trap. My suspicion is that it is part of a trap. The troops arrive and hit the ground to find they are fighting two armies. If there were already two evenly matched armies on the ground neither would have time or the ability to attack other assets so we know they have four million on the ground excluding further ship based troops in reserve,” General Celia Ford added.

“I think they wanted a panicky warning about the situation to be sent. The way I see it is that the troops get to the ground and as most of them hit the ground, a cockroach fleet takes out all the ships above, except perhaps for one.

The Empire hears of the destroyed fleet and decides to launch a second fleet very much larger. The cockroaches do the same on another planet leading the Empire to begin to have a dilemma. So the Empire mobilizes more, and what appears to be a sufficient force is wiped out by a superior technology. And they have two planets and perhaps even by that time three. Two fleets of the Empire fleet are destroyed and the Empire is shocked and demoralized,” said Admiral Felicia McDonald.

“That is how I would plan, if I were the cockroaches. I suspect that they have concentrated their infiltrated cockroaches on several strategic planets that are remote from the fleet.

“To counter that, a fleet that is at a similar level of technology needs to go to the planet. A hidden fleet needs to follow closely behind. A force more than sufficient to deal with four million cockroaches needs to land. The cockroaches need to see their dreaded enemy on the ground, and see the ships of their most feared enemy. A clear message needs to be sent back to the cockroach military, to get them to quake in their boots. Their forces need to be obliterated.

“Yes, indeed, we need to speak to Ouma Chatzke. Our best interests are best served if a fleet from the Collective accompanied us to the planet. When I say us I’m referring to Jason’s forces. We have the technology and we have the trained troops and we have a powerful large modern fleet,” Felicia said strongly.

“Cassius, it is now or never. The war is approaching quickly. This is the second skirmish, but the first involving the Empire. Your fleets need to be urgently upgraded, your armies need the technology of the Collective. Time is running out. We have to be alert to the possibility of the octopi doing the same. Both groups are equally desperate and wanting to have alternative hiding places.

“A massive underwater technology upgrade is going to be necessary. The fleet to deal with Beeliar is going to be critical. If we scare them sufficiently they will slow down and look at their options. If they succeed the Empire will be a tasty morsel and a bolt hole that can be used with impunity. That, my dear Jason, is my opinion; and I suspect it is what you were thinking, as well,” said Celia Ford, with Felicia nodding in the background.

“I do agree with you fully with respect to your analysis of the situation. My intuition has been warning of a fleet in waiting. There is one other very strong feeling that I have had. I have seen visions as you talked. Pictures of a pair of truly huge ships, shaped like wedges. I have seen the cockroach fleet over Earth, and it was quite a significant fleet, but no really big ships. I was interested in their different ships and I have spent some time doing simulations of battles that have been provided to me by the AI. Those simulations have included the latest intelligence and guesses of the performance of the cockroach ships.

These wedge ships, as I see them, are at least ten times the size of an attack carrier, and maybe even bigger; perhaps as much as fifty times the size. I think they made a critical error by showing us their latest incarnation of cloaking on the tanks. I think this fleet will be cloaked using the same technology,” Jason remarked.

“We were not aware of these big ships, as they were manufactured in secret, at a location that we do not know. These may be the ships built in secret that Razza spoke about. They want to try them out, and scare us.

“The admirals of the fleets need to consider that they are going to fight the best of what the cockroaches can produce and want to try out in this galaxy. I think they want to try them out here, because they do not want to risk them in the first battles with the octopi. They want the octopi to hear about them first, through their own spies in the Empire. They want the octopi to be fearful and more likely to flee. They want to affect their morale. They want the attack, here, to be devastating,” Jonathan said. “They do not want to take the chance that the Empire will believe it can overcome them. Cassius, there is no doubt that things are moving. I think that we should speak to Ouma Chatzke as a matter of the greatest urgency. She needs to get her top people together, so we all can speak together. We’ll send to her these conversations, so that she and her people are prepared, and we won’t have to start again.”

Jason looked at Cassius and Felicia, who were both nodding.

“Jonathan, can you coordinate this with Charassa? Fortunately it’s a reasonable time in the morning, there. In the meantime, I think we should move to the palace. We’ will need a larger conference room, that can include Cassius’s top people. Cassius, we will send you the holo for them to watch ahead of time. Let’s try for an hour’s time. We have little time, and much to do. In the meantime, Felicia, get our fleet mobilized and ready, so that we can be sure to retake the planet.

“I see a fleet there that is a quarter of the size of our fleet, and then on top of that, there are those two monstrosities. You know what you need to do as far as probes and intelligence is concerned. Felicia also I want you to start thinking about us capturing one or both of those ships.

“I am going to speak to the dogs. I must admit I would love to have the boars on the ground on our side.”

“I am going to my room to meditate, and talk to Porquenta and to Montgomery. These are disturbing new matters of the gravest import.”

Jason went up to his room, and very quickly entered into his meditative state. He quickly connected with both The One and Porquenta and sent them the latest information, telepathically. He heard that Porquenta, together with the bugs, had developed several new weapons that were fitted to twenty-three percent of the fleet.

The One said that he had a scout ship close to the area, and would send probes to Beeliar and promised ten of his ships. Jason continued to meditate. He heard a voice and was startled to see an orc like creature with two huge boars behind him. Jason was reassured they wished him no harm.

“We are betrayed by the Coven. They are not who they pretend to be. The ancients with whom we fought ascended after the last war. The Coven misrepresented themselves as our ancients. We fought for them, and we find them wanting.

“We are restless and want a master who is of the ancients, whom we respect. We have seen you fight the Cockroaches and the Ghouls. We want to fight against the Cockroaches who lied and betrayed us. We find the Cockroaches fought as allies with our masters and betrayed them. They disguise themselves now as humanoids,” the orc said.

“I am told I am of the ancients, but I do not recall my past. I do fight both the Cockroaches and the Ghouls. I do not wish to misrepresent myself as that which I am not. Can you fight with the demon hounds?” Jason asked.

“Hounds and boars once fought together. Alliances shifted and they fought against each other, then once again the balance shifted, again and they fought together. They live to fight for a great warrior and a war-chief which we think you are. We see the dogs trust you. We want to give you our allegiance and consider giving you our trust, but we require you to visit the mud holes and face our tests of your veracity.

“I am like Basil, the trainer. Visit the mud holes and no time will pass here. Bring the dogs to secure you at first, and then we train together if we can reach trust and accord.”

Jason called Rover and the dogs. He and millions of dogs traveled to a planet made up of swamp land. The dogs flew overhead and the boars lounged in the mud while Jason, Rover, Rosie, and Lily met with the chief boar, Aylot, and his trainer Greb.

Aylot was a huge boar, almost the size of a bull. G

reb was a huge orc with tusks going upwards over his face. He had a massive build with muscles that looked like they had been carved from granite. Aylot communicated with images, exactly as Rover did. Greb communicated with him, and explained Jason was establishing whether the dogs and the boars could fight together, and whether he would achieve the loyalty of the boars.

“The boars are land animals. They do not fight in ships. Travel for them is instantaneous, but ships do not feel like firm land. They are ground specialists, and like to hide in the ground and pounce. They work best if the dogs stay in the air, while they behave as shock troops. Their tusks can penetrate any armor.”

Greb showed Jason how to conduct maneuvers with the dogs and the boars working together. To Jason it felt as if they were busy for weeks. He came to like the boars, Aylot in particular. The dogs and boars worked well together, as long as they were used appropriately.

“Aylot will spend time with you, and will live with you when you reach your destination. During those times, Aylot will be in a much smaller form, about twice the size of the dogs in their normal form,” Greb explained.

Jason explained the impending war to both him and Rover. Both were delighted to have action together so soon. Greb, as he returned Jason home, explained that he had been waiting for positive thoughts towards the boars, to approach him.

Greb and Aylot bent knees in front of Jason and pledged they would be loyal to him.

“My Lord, we recognize the style of your work. You are truly of the ancients we know. May you fare well. Call and I shall be with you,” Greb said fervently.

Jason returned to the room to find Aylot sitting with Rover. Aylot was sparkling clean and was a very sweet looking small pig without any obvious tusks. Jason could not resist patting him on the head at the same time as he patted Rover. Surprisingly, Aylot appeared to be very pleased and rubbed against Jason. He was very heavy and Jason asked him to lean a little less heavily. He then shocked everyone as he brought Aylot downstairs to meet everyone, as they all left for the palace. He communicated to Rover and Aylot to remain behind and he would introduce them to the Emperor at an appropriate time.

Cassius was restlessly waiting for two of his generals and four admirals to arrive. Jason told him about having picked up another army. Cassius was, by nature, exceedingly curious. He wanted to see Aylot immediately. Jason called for Aylot and the dogs. Fortunately the conference room was very large as Aylot arrived as a boar with the dogs as demon hounds.

One of the admirals was terrified until he was reassured by Jason and Cassius who were relaxed. The animals morphed into their smaller forms and sat quietly. Cassius quickly got into conversation with Aylot, and they related very well. Aylot later told Jason that there was no doubt in his mind that both he and his uncle were both warlords of substance, and he was pleased to be in attendance. Jason noticed that Cassius could not resist scratching Aylot behind his ears as did Felicia. Celia was very amused. Aylot, clearly, was drawn strongly to Cassius.

When everyone was present, Jason very briefly explained the value of both the dogs and the boars in warfare and that they could fly and attack trans-dimensionally as they waited for the time arranged to speak to Charassa.

They waited for the call from Ouma Chatzke. When she came online, Jason introduced her to Aylot and had him transform into combat mode. He told her that they had volunteered to be part of his army. He then sent them back to the house.

“My commanders are working with Cassius’ most senior military group, to coordinate training and rush to complete a major refit of the Empire fleet. The biggest delay is the absolute necessity of clearing cockroaches out of the system,” said Ouma Chatzke to the group.

“They thoroughly penetrated into the Collective in much bigger numbers than into the Empire. We are scouring our oceans, looking for the octopi planet by planet, but it is an exercise of monumental proportions. My intelligence tells me the cockroaches know of our alliance. Our 9th Fleet will accompany Jason’s 2nd fleet to the planet,” Ouma Chatzke said.

Jason had no idea what his 2nd Fleet was, or for that matter, his 1st Fleet. He did not know if he had a third fleet or a fourth fleet.

“My senior admirals agree it is essential we act. I am pleased to hear from Jason that the Una are intending to contribute ships.

“I also agree there is considerable merit in the idea we board and take over the two massive ships. We are alert to the possibility of similar events occurring on one of our planets. We are now working to clear the cockroaches from our most peripheral planets inwards rather than vice versa. Our probes indicate massive industrial activity in both the cockroach and octopus worlds and also construction of enhanced planetary defenses.

“There was a view in intelligence that the octopi are aware of the activities of the cockroaches in our galaxy, and will attempt to counter it as they also want to use this galaxy as a bolt hole.

“I have sent scout ships and probes throughout both galaxies to look for the location of the docks building the huge ships.

The identification technology provided by Jason’s friend, Razza Croft, has been enormously useful. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, when tested on the cockroaches that we have in captivity, and it had been instrumental in our finding a considerable number of Razza’s group within the Empire who are Royals and allies, and are much like Razza. Razza is likely to be genuine by virtue of what we have discovered. She is a valuable being to all of us.

“We allowed her group of cockroaches to remain free. Their numbers are relatively small compared to the other cockroaches. The operation of their gene system is exactly like that of the Collective. Our medical researchers say that they are a very different group of cockroaches from a genetic perspective. They are also intellectually superior.

“Along with my fleet, I am sending along several very large cargo ships that contain shipbuilding parts replicators, replicators for drones, parts for hundreds of thousands of AI supervision drones, weapons replicators, service and construction drones. All of this will help you speed up shipbuilding, Cassius.

“Some of the replicators for weapons are of Porquenta design. I have also supplied our biggest replicators that can create replicators of all types including themselves. This means that replicators can be supplied quickly, and you can accelerate the process as you make more replicators.

“Cassius you will have enough seed drones to commence activity at a rapid pace. The coordinating AI from us will be able to liaise with the Empire AI to structure how the work will be undertaken. The biggest delay will be in the initial activity needed to create a critical mass of large replicators. We are engaging on your behalf, constructing very large numbers of replicators. We’ll ship them to the Empire to speed up the process, along with additional fully constructed drones.

The AI would need to begin to liaise with the logistics AIs of the Empire to start organizing space and a schedule of activity. I have sent cargo ships to deliver equipment for mining and processing to support the construction activity and to augment Empire-based supply. The level of activity will be enormous, and you will need to mine asteroids at a furious pace to keep up with the replicators.

“I am also sending the necessary equipment and preliminary supplies to construct high level AIs that need to be operational to handle the administrative load, become part of ships and war machines and direct warfare. I will supply further as is needed. The priority is to upgrade the fleet and cargo ships in order to fly to the Collective for very high level tech equipment and then return packed with cargo to facilitate the speed of further refits. We will send you lists of what we need from you, Cassius,” Ouma said smiling.

“I am eternally grateful to you Ouma. The Empire appreciates what you are doing,” Cassius said fervently.

“It is in all of our best interests. Many a war is won by those who can create the most effective industrial output,” Ouma Chatzke replied.

“When our ships are sent to the Collective I will make sure they are full of what you consider people in the Collective would value most from the Empire. As a gift, I will send dressers for the most magnificent clothing and some of the best of our food along with at least ten thousand chefs with every bit of equipment that you could imagine. For the rest I will send whatever you and your advisers would like,” Cassius said passionately.

“Our doctors returned with a new generation of medical pods. All the military had a full upgrade. I am taking no chances. One cockroach, who had been away on leave was identified by the machine,” Cassius said.

“The new treatment of poison related damage is working perfectly. Pregnancy rates are slowly rising, and for that alone I am eternally grateful. The priests were successful with those who regularly ate replicator food. It was enough to lift the average age of the Empire from two hundred, to five thousand years. Your people designed conversion replicators that are now fitted over the existing pods which convert them to a new generation in minutes. We are building the replicators and disseminating them quickly throughout the Empire,” Cassius added.

“Most of our intelligence and top military are cleared. As we go through the corporates your people are giving them cubes and teaching them to use the new equipment that is coming. It is working well, though we are also sending millions to you guys for training.

“We have many productive asteroids and planets. We have supplied you with millions of tons of requested materials, including rare elements. More is on the way. Training is happening quickly in the military and the bigger corporates as intelligence goes through the people systematically. I believe we have very big combined exercises planned along with the Jumo.

“Felix and I are competing to see who can get the most done the fastest. He is moving quickly, but I think it will be a tight race.

“Razza and several of her colleagues are working in close association with our people, but have limited time. I granted her and her cohort Empire citizenship. Intelligence says they are very valuable and Razza is still receiving information from the cockroach planets. She has now put her intelligence people directly in contact with us, and your people working with us. This in itself, is of enormous benefit to the war effort.

“Razza is a very personable and likable person. I find her to be a delight and she is very funny when she’s relaxed. She, I suspect will be an asset to the Empire. She has education machines from the cockroach worlds with information of great value. I have scientists and intelligence operatives receiving the education, in order to familiarize themselves with the language, the science, the history, and the beliefs of the cockroach worlds. They might be behind the Collective, but they are formidable enemies, and way ahead of where we were. We have learnt about the characteristics of the weapons and the shielding of the cockroaches, as well as the work they have undertaken in stealth and cloaking devices. This is very advanced and sophisticated work.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.