The Empire - Book 3 - Cover

The Empire - Book 3

Copyright© 2017 by Hunter Johnson

Chapter 11: The Start of University

Jason arrived on campus at eight fifteen, in anticipation of an eight thirty start. His guards blended easily and fluidly into the student body. He noted he was scheduled to attend orientation, which ran its events over the first week at the university, to acclimate students to university life. From what Jason could see of the program, it was exactly the same as one would expect from any college or university orientation, anywhere on Earth.

There were considerable differences in the educational experience, because of the use of educational machines; but the social activities and groups seemed the same. The elite nobles were placed in a house that was in many ways like a fraternity, but most people took their studies very seriously.

There were many available sports, while other interest groups and associations vied for people’s attention with holo-displays all over the campus. Jason saw thousands of exceptionally good-looking people. He could not but notice the many beautiful women, dressed in amazing, elegant, expensive clothing. He saw strange species from all over the Empire, with some in environmental suits.

He began to feel enthusiastic about his attendance, knowing that he was unlikely to be under unmanageable academic pressure.

Jason had perused his course options before registering online, at home. He had also discussed his choices with Alana, Philippa, Harry, and Cassius. They said that from their point of view, it was less important what he did, academically. Rather, the priority was with whom he mixed and met. Any holes in his education were easily plugged by the bug educational system, but nothing could replace the experience of the academic environment, and the people who would be a part of his future.

Jason retained a skeleton fleet above the planet, but Celia and Felicia also left to do more training, knowing he was going to be busy.

The day was balmy with a pleasant cool wind. The trees and the plants, looked little different from that on earth but the vista was pleasing. The layout of the University was beautiful. The campus was substantial, catering for three hundred and fifty-thousand undergraduates and twice that number of postgraduates. Students who could meet the academic standards attended from all over the Empire.

Faculty buildings clustered underground in their own independent towns as part of the greater campus. The faculties were so large and independent that it was rare to meet others from different faculties.

Jason elected to base himself in engineering, as he wanted to understand more about artificial intelligence and he wanted to explore information technology and electronics. He decided to study mathematics, electronics, applied mathematics, and physics, all of which he loved. He wanted to understand the concepts that underpinned the technology of the future, with the advantage of bug education.

There were no lectures. Students spent time in learning machines to learn the content. Then they grappled with problems in simulators and did experiments in the laboratories. Jason looked forward to the manufacturing tasks set in the curriculum. Jason decided that as he had all the bug course material, he would learn all of that first. Then he would do the bug simulations. Next he would expose himself to the material of the Imperium, and would do the laboratories. He felt that that was the most logical way to go about it. He did not want to learn the imperial way and then learn a new way. He wanted to learn the most advanced way first, and be fully knowledgeable when he began to learn the Imperial way.

The first contact that he had with the faculty was in a huge lecture hall where he experienced an introduction that would have been almost identical to what he received at an Earth university, except that the lecture room contained at least fifteen thousand people. He noticed many other unfamiliar species. Some were tall spindly creatures; some creatures looking like insects, some beings were very heavily built with very thick torsos and massive arms and legs. Some looked as though they were entirely mechanical. Still others that looked like elves, goblins, and an admixture of creatures that he could not recognize. They were unlike any species he had ever seen. He saw two of a species that he knew would have given him nightmares if he ‘met them in a dark alley.’ They were the worst nightmare of an alien that he could ever imagine. The Empire was clearly a very diverse place! He took off his hat to the Emperor for putting it all together and keeping it in one piece.

The Dean welcomed them to the engineering department; dealing with electronics, information technology, artificial intelligences, and robotics. He explained that learning machines were available throughout the day in many locations. Their implants would be programmed to grant them access to material that was relevant to them, and also to the different laboratories.

They would be given the necessary codes to attach their high-powered AI augmented educational pads to the relevant sub-faculty networks. Each student was required to purchase an iPad like device which was called a ‘Brain’. Everyone carried a Brain and the variant he used on the ship was often known as a slate. It was a standard issue for anyone in the Empire. Engineering insisted on very powerful Brains. Input was simply by sub-vocalized speech, but input could also occur by asking the Brain to observe a process, or events, or by manipulation of a hologram. The storage capacity was never ending. Each device was integrated into the Empire’s equivalent of the Internet, but also to specialized sub-networks of faculties, if permitted.

Jason had a breathtakingly large monthly allowance from Philippa. Jason said he did not need so much money, but both Philippa and Harry just laughed. Philippa told Jason that it was not worth even considering making it an issue.

The Emperor also made sure that Jason had access to the money that was due to him for his assistance to the Empire. He would later be paid for the children that he had sired. Cassius wanted to keep Porquenta and Mars a secret from the public in the short term until Porquenta was ready for migrants in large numbers.

He said that later, when they were announced as part of the Empire, by virtue of being within the Duchy, that they would be liable for taxes. He felt that it was better, from a security point of view that they remained under the radar as was his access to his fleet and his forces. Cassius remained amused about Jason’s profligate fathering of an unknown number of children. He teased Jason about it as often as he could. Cassius often referred to Jason as ‘the bemused father’.

Philippa integrated Nirvana into the Duchy, so that it was managed by her and her ‘Uncle Harry’. The Emperor launched his intelligence forces against the priests still at large within the Empire, who might be engaged in nefarious tasks. He deported four million of them to Porquenta. He knew that Porquenta was happy to accommodate and rehabilitate them. For this service, Porquenta was paid a fee as a penal planet. Porquenta and the bugs worked out an optimal process to reform them. The bugs weeded out the potential assassins and processed them, further.

Jason purchased the cheapest Brain at the suggestion of Philippa, who gave it to her specialists. They converted it into a bug device. It looked and acted like any other Brain when in any situation where it could be observed; however it was in a different league, when it came to capacity and functionality. She said that she didn’t want him to have anything but the best, and she had a company that produced the bug version of the Brain for universities.

Philippa was called back to Charassa by Ouma Chatzke for discussions. She told Jason that she would be away for a month, as she had other matters that she needed to attend to on her planets and estates. He knew he would miss her enormously.

Alana made sure to install four learning machines in his house, attached to the University, to save him time and effort.

The day of induction proceeded slowly as they were then shown large halls with learning machines and then the laboratories. Practical sessions in the laboratories and tutorial sessions were scheduled for most mornings. The afternoons were intended for time in the learning machines. Projects were undertaken in the student’s own time, and they could use university facilities by arrangement. The students were broken up into smaller groups to look at some of the facilities and tutorial rooms. Tutorials were for students having difficulties in problem solving or in laboratories but were not compulsory. The timetable was reasonably pressured in that a considerable amount of work had to be covered. Jason did not have the opportunity to talk to anybody as they rapidly moved from facility to facility.

Learning machines interrogated the individual’s implant for security logon information after an implant update. They then proceeded to the learning machines and all students ensured their courses were correct and their security identification allowed them to login. Learning machines taught the students to use all the equipment and machines.

They also had to ensure that their Brains would then connect into the university system, which also interrogated the implant each time the student attempted to connect. All material of every type, whether it was problems they solved, or laboratory work, or projects undertaken were submitted; everything contributed cumulatively, to their final mark. Every educational activity was regarded as a part of the examination process.

After the first session in the learning machine, Jason was allocated to a learning group, consisting of eight people, excluding himself. They were expected to stay together for the duration of their course. All activities were coordinated together and they attended all laboratories together. The group was pretty much the same male female mix as the population, two-thirds female. They arranged to meet in the nearest canteen when finished on the learning machines to get to know each other.

Jason found them very interesting group of people. He learnt the groups were stratified along the lines of their family houses. They briefly had an opportunity to get to know each other during the morning refreshment break. Jason found that the members of his group were exclusively from the top six families of the Empire. They were a fine looking group of people, well-spoken and most of them were personable and pleasant.

Jason was distracted by one obnoxious person, and forgot all their names despite his crystal and AI when the person spouted, “My grandfather is one of the kings. That trumps all of you guys. I am the obvious leader of this group, because of my connections. If you play your cards right you might meet my grandfather, and even the Emperor.

“I was given a racing shuttle, for getting into this University. I will be happy to give you ladies a ride. We start martial arts tomorrow, and I’m sure that I can show you guys some techniques. I’ll see you at the gym, this great looking woman is chasing me, and I have a lunch engagement. If she takes me to this great restaurant that I suggested, I might be prepared to spend the afternoon with her,” he said and walked off.

“That is exactly how Cyril was in high school. He’s a total prick, and an arrogant pain in the butt. He boasts about his grandfather continuously. He’s nothing special academically, and is no martial arts expert. From what I know, his grandfather is not terribly impressed with him, either. His father is just the same as Cyril. He really needs somebody to put him in his place,” said another group member.

Jason spent time with them over lunch for a pleasant few hours, but his mind was off on other tangents. The group arranged to meet in the gym the next day and eat together, then move on to their first laboratory. They would make it their daily routine. No one noticed his bodyguards who blended into the background groups of students as he left the University, and walked to the palace to have a chat with Alana.

“The group that you are in, that you have described, is very much characteristic of the way we organize the University. We try and match people of similar backgrounds with similar family interests. We match you with the sort of people who we think you are likely to be comfortable to mix with and do business with for the rest of your life. We often add groups together to do bigger tasks. Everything that we do is on the basis of considerable research and has a strong evidence-base.

“I think you should discuss the strategy that you are proposing, as far as your studies are concerned, with Norbert. He’s an expert and is dedicated to you approaching your learning in the most effective way. I have the feeling that he will have a more effective and economical way to do what you’re proposing. He has a scintillating intellect, and is an outstanding academician in his own right. He is at your house waiting for you to return.”

Jason discussed his proposed learning strategy with Norbert, and asked him if he had any ideas about the duplication of information, and asked if there were any precedents on Charassa.

“There is nothing new about what you are attempting to achieve: learning older and newer systems concurrently. One example that comes to mind is where people have to learn to maintain older and newer generations of a machine. The newer machine may be an evolutionary advance from the older machine, but the technicians have to service many levels of the machines. Thus they need to know all the information in relation to them.

“I programmed the AI to provide one set of information that is common to all instances, and then concentrate on the exceptions and differences. This will save you a lot of time, as I simply give the AI all the information. You will be exposed to information from your AI, which will extract all the information from the learning machines and integrate it all. As the Empire information is a subset of the information from the Collective, the AI can readily construct simulations so the laboratories are simply one kind of practice. The simulations will teach you considerably more than the labs. Relax for ten minutes, and I will get it all set up for you for the rest of the year. It will be in the learning cube and on the learning machine. The learning machine is now up to Collective standards,” Norbert said.

Jason noticed that he seemed very pleased to be asked for his help. Jason was also pleasantly surprised with the discussion about different educational methods, and Norbert’s encyclopedic ability to cite examples. He was even happier to find out that all of his education would be through one machine and one seamless integrated process. He made a drink for himself, while the chef made him a sandwich. Then he made his way back to Norbert.

“Norbert, I am very impressed both with your knowledge and also the incredibly rapid implementation of the ideas. I can see that you have a major contribution to make. Alana tells me that she is also very impressed with you and hopes that you will help her restructure the University. She sees me as a bit of a trial victim,” Jason said.

“I was sent here to help you. If I can do something for the Empress, I will do it with pleasure. I have many contacts that have done educational restructures in past years. I feel fulfilled if I’ve something to do. I have with me a very powerful AI that makes implementing any strategy quick and easy. We could do the entire integration for the University of old and new knowledge. Your internal AI will be loaded within ten minutes with everything you need for the rest of this year, but I suggest you use the learning machines. The best way to decide how to proceed is to try each method and use each one as appropriate.

“I preferred to sit in comfortable learning machines to do simulations as I could sit comfortably for longer periods. No other chair is as comfortable in my experience. You certainly will not to need to waste any time on the learning machines at the University.

“Tell me about your day,” Norbert asked.

Jason explained about learning and working in groups.

“You will learn everything overnight. Your AI will do everything for you. You do have a learning cube which has the advantage of creating holograms, which I find at times more helpful than having the picture created in my mind as a ‘heads up display.’ The learning machines do the same, but you have the comfortable seat and a bigger hologram for simulations and no disturbing backgrounds,” Norbert explained.

“You will learn everything you need to know for the next three months, tonight. You will get all the knowledge for the rest of the year by the end of the week. By all means go to the University learning machines if you wish to interact with your friends, but go for social reasons. You will trigger, through your implant, the more advanced simulations. No matter where you are, you will get the correct material. Your own AI continuously reinforces what you have learned,” Norbert continued to explain.

“No one will know you are not using the University learning system, including the university. The university will see you regularly using their machines, whether you are there or not. Your AI will create that illusion for the University,” Norbert said smiling.

“Bring your friends for a meal reasonably soon. I have new versions of our tools to see cockroach genetic structures. We can pick up all known disguised cockroach variants. There may be versions of cockroach that we have not yet seen, that the machines will not pick up,” Norbert said.

“On the basis of previous experience, your ‘black hole syndrome’ will attract other cockroaches of a type that we have not yet encountered. That young woman, who was the secretary and aide to Felix, is an entirely different realm of advanced technology. As yet, we cannot detect cockroaches of that type. Her modus operandi is closer to how you and I change. If what she says is correct, they don’t represent any level of threat. Until I meet more of that type, though, I don’t yet believe it!” Norbert said emphatically.

“So far I only have one device. It’s this ring on my hand. They are very difficult and complicated to make, but I hope to be able to give you one of your own within a week or two. I would suggest that you keep your capture ring on a different hand. The intelligence people have a larger version of the detector that resembles a wand. It has a greater range. The ring will be useful tool, but its range is just two yards,” said Norbert.

“So far I like everyone except one, in my group. They are fine people. If I want to extend the education to them, and exclude the painfully irritating one, can it be done?” Jason asked.

“That is very easily done. Bring your group here and I will capture their implant information. Whenever you are ready, tell me. Any learning machine will deliver the appropriate education for them. If you wish, I will give you cubes for them. The AI I have can deliver education to the entire University. Six extra people will be absolutely no problem. The older brother of this AI can run a planet,” Norbert said with conviction and a modicum of pride in his voice.

The first day of university routine

Jason slept deeply. He woke early, as usual, and ran to the gym with the dogs as he did every morning. The dogs and Aylot were well-known and popular in the gym. Many petted them and talked to them as Jason exercised. This was the first morning in the faculty gym for his friends. Jason attended daily, and had worked out and sparred with several of other students who were on graduate programs.

Jason had not revealed his skills, and none of his group realized Jason had fought Ingmar Hesketh. He had used the name ‘Cannon’ for that fight, on the suggestion of Cassius and Alana. It was the name of a branch of Alana’s family.

Jason noticed that his group were all very fit looking, and well-built. They clearly had their own established exercise routines. After weights, Jason warmed up doing his forms as did his friends. He noticed that most of them looked as though they were advanced practitioners in their disciplines.

Lydia Von Max introduced herself as the instructor for the group. She was a tall strongly built woman, with dark brown hair tied back in a ponytail. She had a metal band tied around her biceps on her left arm, which Jason knew meant she had been a marine instructor.

“I am the instructor that is allocated to your group by the University. Your physical health and your ability to fight are regarded as critical skills. You are evaluated in those areas exactly as you are evaluated in everything else. I would like to assess each of you, to determine your level of skill. I’m going to pair you up.”

She carefully observed their technique and entered the data from her observations into the evaluation database using her Brain. She then asked one of the assistant coaches to be a judge, and told Jason that she would spar with him.

They moved cautiously around each other before she attacked. Jason readily defended but did not counter-attack until he could observe more of her technique. He pretended to have a little difficulty in defending himself but moved to the attack. Jason did not want to reveal his strength and speed. She stopped the bout and faced him.

“Young man, I am only going to tell you this once. Don’t mess with me! Don’t humor me! I want to see what you can do. I have done this for a long time and I can see that you are not exerting yourself. I don’t know why, and I don’t care why. I don’t know what you are hiding. Now pull your finger out of your ass, and spar with me to the best of your ability!” Lydia said angrily.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.