The Mob - Book 2 - Cover

The Mob - Book 2

Copyright© 2017 by Hunter Johnson

Chapter 14: The Takedown

As they had arrived in the Mob system Montgomery asked Jason to announce their arrival. Jason spoke to Andrea and Linda on holo-com. He saw them looking drawn and upset.

“Hi, guys! I am back and I am pleased to say that I’m all in one piece. You don’t need to look so worried, and do I have some stories to tell you! We will approach the battleship shortly. I have brought back with me a team of four thousand people and I will tell you more about them soon. Please make sure hangar one is pressurized, as we are all going to be transferred over by The One.” Jason said noticing that they looked grimmer by the second. He had the feeling he was going down in and emotional death spiral.

Onward and upward he said to himself.

“You have no idea how happy I will be to be back, and to see all of you. I know Porquenta has been in contact to try to keep you guys up-to-date as has The One, but I’m delighted to advise that I am back, bigger and better than ever before, and again I have escaped death or worse. I will be happy to see all of you, soon. We will need to accommodate groups of scientists, engineers, and others who will assist us. I’m sorry to not provide you with more warning, but all this has happened really quickly.”

“Hi, Stan, I will see you soon,” said Jason who had recognized Stan in the background. “We will be there in about ten minutes. We only need a very low level of security, as these are allies and friends who have all been traveling back with me.”

Andrea lifted her eyebrows quizzically and then gave him ‘the look.’ Jason had no doubt that he was in deep trouble, but he remained optimistic despite seeing Linda glowering in the background.

“Jason, dear, as usual I shall do exactly as you require; and, my Lord, you will duly have your faithful servants waiting for you in the hangar,” she said in an icy sarcastic tone.

Jason now knew how it felt to be in a sinking ship, or in a spaceship failing to escape the gravity of a black hole.

He began to forlornly hum “Onward Christian Soldiers” to try to keep himself going and his morale up. He straightened his back and spoke confidently.

“We will be transferring across luggage and equipment. Transportation of all this will require some equipment for storage, the rest to accommodation. All your questions will be answered very shortly, “ said Jason cheerfully with a smile on his face hoping to mitigate what he was shortly to face.

He could see Andrea and Linda were looking at him quizzically. He saw they were reassured that he sounded normal, and he hoped that their worry and concern had receded, at least a little. Monty had told him how furious they had been with Porquenta sending him into danger.

Jason was not relishing his impending inquisition. He knew that both had been provided with how he was injured and the fact that he was transferred to Charassa and had fully recovered. He knew that for all the women with whom he was involved that it was insufficient information.

In the background, Jason saw that the bugs were frenetically busy moving their packages into the area that Montgomery told them they needed to be in order to be transferred.

Montgomery waited for all activities to come to a stop and for his team to ensure that everyone was in the designated transfer area. Jason saw him raise his arm to signal to transfer them and then and an instant later they were all in the hangar.

The temperature in the hangar was noticeably cooler than it had been on Montgomery’s ship. Jason saw troops streaming into the hangar pulling behind them antigravity platforms.

Jason saw that the bugs had packed all their worldly goods into tiny packs that they carried on their backs. They first put everything out on the deck to check that they had everything that they needed and then packed it all back into their tiny trans-dimensional packs. Jason watched with fascination as they piled large amounts of clothing and equipment into their packs that had internally expandable openings. Many of them carried a second small pack which they did not open. Neither pack looked heavy, and the bugs all declined help from the soldiers. Jason watched them chat to the soldiers who seemed to find them amusing. Many of them began moving with the soldiers to familiarize themselves with the facilities on the ship.

Linda and Andrea ran to him with Felicia and Celia, close behind them. They were all tearful seeing him and very happy to see him back. Matilda MacArthur and Karen DuPree followed not far behind with Morgan James and Peter Kane more sedately walking behind them. Jason’s bodyguard clustered around him. Linda hugged him after Andrea, and then slapped him across the cheek.

“Don’t worry us so much again. Bastard!” She said tearfully then clung to him. He continued to hum to distract himself from the turgid intensity of the meeting. He needed to keep himself together.

He called his group of bugs and AI’s that were accompanying him to be introduced to Linda, Andrea, Celia, Felicia, Karen, Morgan, Peter Kane and his bodyguard. The group consisted of Gamma the AI compatriot of Alpha and Beta from Charassa, friends of Ouma Chatzke, his educator Norbert, and two of the senior bugs, Jonathan who was to take a diplomatic role and Philippa who was not yet known to him. Philippa was a ravishing tall brunette with a Mediterranean complexion and dark brown eyes, close to Jason’s height with a sunny disposition, and with an as yet undefined role. Montgomery and Winston followed behind smiling broadly. They were clearly enjoying the developing situation.

Jason waited for a few minutes to ensure that the bugs were moving to their accommodation before he took his senior group to the conference room near the bridge. Jason looked at the group. Philippa was dressed in a pair of black hot pants with pink platform shoes. Philippa’s make up was on the garish side. Norbert and Jonathan were wearing formal Armani style suits with purple socks and with ties that were copies of Louis Vuitton ties he had seen in the distant past. For reasons, only known to them they wore white and black two tone shoes. Gamma, was wearing a short skirt, stiletto heels, and had what appeared to be a tattoo of a biker chick on her left arm and seemed to be chewing gum. She had bright red lipstick, dark shadows around her eyes and her hair was spiked and teased upwards. Both Montgomery and Winston were dressed in their customary linen, Southern Gentleman, apparel which was more on the restrained side.

At the meeting, Jason introduced all of them again to the broader senior group who were present along with Jason’s bodyguard who looked at him with what looked like barely restrained anger, and anger so strong that it was almost palpable.

Linda welcomed everyone to Jason’s flagship and played the good host. She was very chatty and friendly but in a much more brittle way than was usual, and her manner was a trifle forced. She gave Jason a black look at uncomfortably short intervals. The bugs were their usual charming and pleasant selves and very soon were chatting with everyone.

Montgomery and Winston tended to be very much more reticent and restrained but were awkwardly trying to make small talk. Winston was a lot better at it having had considerably more experience in hearing Jason having conversations. He seemed to be enjoying himself within a few minutes talking with Andrea, for whom he held great respect. She had no idea who he was.

Andrea however was not able to restrain herself from beginning to ask penetrating questions.

“Jason, I would very much appreciate knowing exactly what happened to you and why you could not at least let us know what was happening?” Andrea asked looking daggers at him. As Jason began to stutter he saw Jonathan open a tiny box and turn on a holo-recorder.

“May I show what happened Jason?”

Jason waved to Jonathan, and told him to go ahead telepathically.

He showed a hologram that had recorded Jason’s experience beginning with Porquenta sending Jason to the transdim space and then showed the battle with the snake like creature to the point where Jason was injured and what subsequently occurred until he was unconscious.

That greatly helped break the ice. Jason then went on to describe his extensive medical treatment on the planet, and then gave a very brief account of his television appearances and his discussions with Ouma Chatzke and explained the outcome. Several of the bugs wanted to show the entire television show, but Jason said that that level of detail could wait until they planned what they were going to do next. Jason then explained that he had agreed to the bugs’ help and Ouma Chatzke’s suggestion to send along a few aides to be part of his staff and facilitate his further education. He had not realized that he would bring along four thousand people to help ferret out and capture Nimrod Khon, but if they felt that that was what he needed, then so be it.

“Nearly a hundred thousand of the bugs will head off in the first stage to Porquenta and Mars’” said Jason.

“Jason, you have introduced everyone as coming from Charassa except for Montgomery and Winston who might they be?” Andrea asked icily.

“Winston you know, already. He is now outside of me, rather than inside. On Charassa, The One and Winston had both been given avatars and they are thoroughly enjoying their new form. Both wanted more appropriate names for their new selves, and were dutifully named by me. The names are of famous people from my planet Earth.” Jason said, feeling a weight of icy anger still heading his way. He clearly still had a long, long way to go. It was going to be worse than rehabilitation. He was not sure how he had found himself in such trouble. He heroically continued as if he was unaware of the freezing atmosphere.

“The bugs are a very ancient species that live in a different galaxy, closer to the core of the universe. In their galaxy, radiation levels are higher than here by far and insects are the highest evolutionary form. They were participants in the ancient intergalactic war that involved our galaxy and also the smaller one a hundred thousand years ago. They have ancient enemies who are cockroaches who try and infest as many planets as they can and have some interest in the invasion of other planets and galaxies,” he explained. Jason was battling to keep a straight face. The bugs were also keeping a straight face. They all knew exactly where this was headed.

“Jason, Linda and I know you well as does everyone in this conference room. You are a great joker. We remain constantly vigilant to defend ourselves from the scheming nature we have seen over time. Do not assume for one-second that you have fooled us. We are getting very tired of this joke. You are being tiresome and obscure.

“Even though I can understand that you may have been injured and even critically injured, the rest of the story about bugs is entirely implausible. I can certainly understand that Montgomery and Winston may well be avatars or even AI’s. I can see there were indeed four thousand people who arrived with you. Four thousand humans arrived, there are no bugs, insects or roaches or any such codswallop. You keep on talking about bringing back bugs. I see a group of people who you appear to have dressed up as part of a practical joke. They are caricatures of people of your weird planet who are participants in your prank. They all speak perfect Empire standard. Not only that, but the bio-scanners show that they are entirely human. Jason,” said Andrea, “you are a scurrilous practical joker please let us in as to what is the real story?”

“Everything that I’ve told you is entirely true. I myself have become an insect and have taken the form of a praying mantis. They have joined us and I have joined them and I am happy the twain shall meet,” said Jason calmly.

“Jason before I shoot you myself, what is going on? We hear you were attacked, then it was an assassination, then you are flown across two galaxies, for advanced medical care. Now it is a planet of the bugs. We were worried about you and here you are cheerful and with a bunch of people who look like they come out of one of your weird movies. Come on buster. You are better I can see but what is this?” said Linda then burst into tears.

“Linda, if you insist that we show you I will ask one of them to transform. Everyone must restrain themselves. The last thing I want is an incident where someone is hurt. Marines and bodyguards do not react if one of my guests changes themselves into an insect or if I change myself into an insect. Please note, these are my friends and colleagues and they are here to help us and they have saved my life. If one of them changes into an insect it will shock you. This is not a joke,” Jason said seriously

“Andrea, is this what you want to see and will you absolutely make sure that no harm will occur to my guests? I guarantee that you are going to be quite surprised.”

Jason knew that they would not be able to resist seeing what would happen and he knew that they would not be satisfied with one transformation. On the other hand, the last thing that he wanted was an overreaction and a disaster.

“Of course, Jason darling,” she said, “do you think that we could resist this little show that you have created for us. Let me ensure that we will record this event for posterity on better holo-cameras than the security ones. She went to a cupboard and put a few cameras both on the table and on the floor. Right guys do your best,” said Andrea smugly.

Jonathan very slowly undressed. He did it as a striptease humming the music that they had extracted from Jason’s memories. Jason had done the same striptease for his ladies, whom they had observed and he was highly impressed with Jonathan’s act. All of the woman present hooted and flapped their arms in appreciation of his performance before standing open mouthed in shock as he transformed into a beetle. The transformation was extraordinary and stunned everyone who had not seen it before. Jonathan communicated telepathically to all of them.

“Like Jason, we also have a sense of humor. His sense of humor and ours very often correspond. We can change into several forms but this is our original native form. I cannot speak galactic standard while in this form and I make different sounds which you will undoubtedly hear a fair amount of over time. I understand the distress you feel and the anger you feel. There is no intent to deceive or confuse you. Everything Jason has told you is true. There are a few details that he missed out that I will tell you while I am still in this form before I change back. The change will distract you hence it is better from a continuity viewpoint, to simply continue. Our level of technology is many, many, many levels past that of the Empire. We use a hundred-point scale that is logarithmic to classify the level of technology of a society. If one was to look at Jason’s planet Earth, it would register a five possibly a six. From what we know from Jason and our own direct investigations of the information that he has, the Empire is probably a twenty.

“From what we can see of the level of technology of the Una and from what we know in discussing the issues with Montgomery and Winston they would be somewhere between twenty-five and twenty-eight. Notice that even quite big increments of technology are not progressing quickly on the scale. If you were to look at our society we would be an eighty-five. To achieve ascension or intergalactic migration, you need to be at a minimum twenty-three but should ideally be closer to thirty-five.

“Jason will explain in more detail the role that he and we have mapped out and would hope will be comfortable for all of you. Now that the fun and games are over our real priority is to show you the equipment to locate the ancient and then to burrow down to capture Nimrod Khong. We wish to capture him to ascertain to whom he reports and to try and establish the aims of his group. They are part of a wider plan and we need to find out what it is.

“Our intelligence indicates preparations are in train for a further intergalactic war.”

The way he spoke was firm but gentle, and he was quietly convincing. Jason thought that as ancients they needed to be respected and valued as the extraordinarily impressive beings that they were.

Philippa nudged him and said telepathically, “Thank you very much, Jason. We do appreciate you as well.”

‘Well,’ he thought, ‘so much for my capacity to block my thoughts.’

Philippa telepathically replied, “If you had blocked your thoughts I wouldn’t have heard anything!”

“Yes, but I have not learned to do so!”

Jonathan skillfully moved the discussion from concern and humor to the business at hand. Jason sat at the table while frenetic activity went on around him. The bugs linked into the sensor group on the ship and began working together with them, to install their equipment. Philippa like Jason had no specific task to perform.

Jason suggested that Andrea, Karen, and Linda update them on what had happened to date. Gen. Matilda MacArthur, from intelligence, proposed that she do the briefing.

“We have our own little surprise coming shortly. It will shock you. I want to torture you a little so you might experience some of the worry and concern we felt. Jason, we heard nothing from you. Everything was second hand. Porquenta said you were at death’s door and no species had every survived the poison you had received from the sting.

“We then heard from Montgomery you were out of danger but had lost half your body! But not to worry, all would be fine. Not only that they were rebuilding you but you needed extra hearts and brains! Why the hell do you need all that? Then we heard you were in rehabilitation then on Holo TV and then back. Nothing from you, did we hear at all. You were a star on Holo TV, but did not have time to send us a personal message!

“We had no idea what state you would be in on your return. We knew nothing of their medicine. Then we hear Mr. Cheery MacLeary say he’ll be in the hanger in ten minutes with four thousand visitors! Thanks for the warning! You behaved as if you had been on holiday to a resort on Karo, and had been flying the Kazoobs; and now you were back with your pals. No worries ladies and gentlemen. Please help with the luggage. You look at us as if you didn’t understand our worries or anger. Then this whole show today has boggled our brains, excuse us if we are a little off balance. Now back to business.

“We began by retuning the sensors while we waited for equipment from Porquenta. Nothing conclusive was found. We continued with extensive ground searches within the palace and eventually found a lift shaft. It was inoperative and had been sealed after the event. We could track it down nearly 5 km and then we could see six tunnels running off from that lift shaft in different directions. Most ran under dense metallic deposits. The area near the palace is full of mineral resources. It is a mineral and metal rich planet. These deposits blocked our scanners.

“We then received the equipment from Porquenta. He apologized that they were the best that he could do in the available time. He did say that he had better designs but they were in archives that had not yet been reattached to his system and were undergoing repair. Even so what he sent us was better than what we had previously used. There were three portable scanners that needed to be used close to ground level while mounted in a gunship. After an extensive search, we believe that we found one stronger signal and one weaker signal.

“We have not had the opportunity to calibrate the equipment with boars and orcs so we are not sure what nature of entity is the second one, which is in an attached tunnel in a different location. We also extensively searched for exit tunnels without success. They must be well hidden. The mining companies on Yimza were approached to drill down to the tunnels. They are very reluctant to do so and are finding reasons to delay at every turn. They have offered to sell us the equipment and to train operators, but from what we can see the time in training would be weeks to months. They refused to do the training on-site and we cannot obtain appropriate agreement from them.

We do have extensive asteroid mining equipment but it is not suitable for deep ground boring. We have been in contact with several mining operatives out of the Empire but there is likely to be a long lag phase getting the equipment in place if we are to use them.” Karen looked quite despondent and sat down.

“Why didn’t you just send down one of the dogs to have a quick look at the second being? They can easily go through the ground,” asked Jason as that would have been the first thing that he would have done.

“Funny you should say that Jason,” replied Karen, “the dogs regard you as the supreme warlord. They are happy to obey one of us if you are in the vicinity but will not do anything whatsoever if you’re not there or as in this case they think that you are injured. They were upset and agitated and could not be persuaded to do anything. They are aware of that snake like beast and know how dangerous it is. Its poison is even lethal to them and they have never heard of anybody who has ever survived it. Your dogs remained in your stateroom moping the entire time you were away. They were desperately anxious that they couldn’t detect you. Rover would not even let anyone into your room. He communicated from inside the room but that was as far as it went.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.