The Return of Thomas Grey
Chapter 30: A Threat

Copyright© 2017 by Argon

Historical Story: Chapter 30: A Threat - When 16 year-old Midshipman Thomas Grey goes to sea in the 18-gun sloop Wolverine in February 1806, he cannot know how much his life and family will change until he can finally return to his Surrey home. A story in the Anthony Carter Universe.

Caution: This Historical Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Romantic   Historical   Military   War   Interracial  

Petitioning the Acting Governor went well. Yet, His Excellency was planning another soirée four days hence and would not pass on the chance to invite the Greys, if only to count two more members of the fair sex amongst his guests – namely Mirabel and Florence. Thomas and Mirabel accepted without hesitation for they both relished the thought of debuting as husband and wife, and Florence agreed reluctantly after conferring with Mr. Darby.

On the day before the soirée – Unicorn was finally receiving the long awaited replacement for her damaged knee – Thomas saw a xebec entering the bay and anchoring in the roads. She was flying Algerian colours, and Thomas was mildly curious about her purpose. He was not summoned however, neither by the lieutenant governor, nor by the port admiral, and he surmised that the xebec had not come to offer him more grief.

Therefore, he had almost forgotten about the xebec when he and Mirabel, accompanied by Florence and Angela, walked the short distance to The Convent, the seat of the governors. The ladies had gone through considerable efforts dressing up for this occasion, and to Thomas’s eyes they looked splendid. Upon arriving at The Convent, Thomas handed one of his newly printed visiting cards to the aide-de-camp at the entrance, and a livered servant announced them in a stentorian voice.

“Captain Sir Thomas Grey of His Majesty’s Frigate Unicorn, Lady Grey, Mrs. Angela Benning, Miss Florence Soubeyran!”

Hardly anybody looked up on account of their appearance. Thomas was still a junior captain, and his knighthood would be insignificant to the Army officers present whose fathers for the most part were of the higher peerage. Some hungry eyes followed the females, but for the most part they were ignored.

As a junior captain, Thomas barely rated a seat at the upper half of the table. Angela sat on his other side towards the head of the table, being the wife of a senior captain and the widow of a full colonel. Florence had one Lt. Col. Plimpton as her table partner who seemed quite pleased with his luck whilst Florence maintained a polite facade. His Excellency kept a very good table, and Thomas enjoyed the fare. Mirabel and Angela, being frequent guests at The Convent, found a few nuances wanting, but in general agreed with his assessment.

After the last course, a young ensign toasted the King, and this was the signal for the dinner guests to start mingling. Thomas rose first and helped Mirabel and Angela with their chairs. Florence had been able to disengage from her table partner, and Thomas led his ladies towards the garden.

Immediately beyond the double winged door, Thomas found himself vis-a-vis with a peculiar looking man who was wearing the odd combination of a European coat over Oriental trousers and a kaftan-like long shirt. Thomas remembered the xebec and became instantly alert. He freed his right arm from Angela’s hand, ostensibly to put it over his heart for a quick bow.

The bow was returned elaborately whilst the man looked over Mirabel and Angela.

“Captain Grey?” he asked in mildly accented English.

“Indeed, and with whom do I have the pleasure, Sir?”

“Ismael Ousmane, His Britannic Majesty’s Charge d’Affairs at the Algerian court.”

“A pleasure, Sir. My wife, Lady Grey, Mrs. Benning and Miss Soubeyran.”

“Enchanted, Ladies! Sir Thomas, perhaps you should know that my purpose here, although I certainly admire the bravery of your conduct, is to convey the protests of our steadfast ally, the Dey of Algiers, to His Excellency, the Acting Governor. His Highness, in my view, has a right to complain, given how your rash actions caused great damage to Algiers.”

Thomas nodded solemnly. “I regret of course the necessity to fight the Dey’s ships twice, yet since the Dey’s ships did not fly national colours and fired into us first, I had to do my duty. I may add that Sir Edward Pellew, commander in chief of His Majesty’s ships and vessels in the Mediterranean Sea, expressly condoned my actions and those of the ships under my command. Also, His Majesty’s ministry and the Royal College of Arms confirmed the knighthood that was bestowed on me by His Serene Highness, the King of Sardinia, in recognition of our action against Algerian pirates at Sant’Antioco.”

Thomas spoke calmly, but he let the man know that the big guns were on his side. Ousmane presently paddled backwards.

“Far be it from me to judge any action on the high seas. Yet, the Dey demanded that I convey his protests, and in the interest of the good relations between Algiers and the Crown, I thought it best to comply. His Highness even gave me his personal xebec for the passage, commanded by his own cousin. A great honour, as you will appreciate, in the light of the recent troubles.”

Instantly, alarm bells sounded in Thomas’s head. The xebec was the Dey’s, with the Dey’s cousin in command, and it was anchoring two cable lengths from Gibraltar’s shore. The An-Nasr had failed to catch him with brute force; was it now stealth that the Dey employed? With an icy feeling running down his spine, Thomas realised how vulnerable he, and by extension Mirabel, were to an assault or abduction.

“That is indeed illuminating, Mr. Ousmane. It would seem that His Highness is indeed most generous.”

“Isn’t he? I hope to be able to restore the good relations between Algiers and Great Britain.”

Ousmane did not catch the veiled sarcasm and Thomas realised him to be a vain and obtuse man, a perfect tool for the Dey’s plans. Meanwhile, Ousmane kept pontificating.

“The Dey did not suggest this, but I thought that by withdrawing you and your fine ship from the Mediterranean Sea, we might achieve the much needed impression for the Dey that His Majesty’s Ministry is disapproving of your actions without actually censoring you.”

“That is indeed a suggestion that I made in my report to Sir Edward and which he is considering. At the very least I shall join his blockading fleet off Toulon once our repairs are completed.”

“That is a wonderful coincidence and might serve well to calm the waters, if you will allow me to use a naval simile.”

Thomas nodded politely to acknowledge the weak bon mot. “Is your brave captain in presence by chance? Perhaps if I expressed my profound regret over the incidents to him, it might also help in your efforts?”

Thomas wanted to see the Dey’s cousin, to be able to recognise him. Ousmane sadly shook his head.

“Being a strict follower of the Prophet, he will not attend functions like this soiree, where spirited drinks and inappropriate food are served. He is confining himself to his fine ship.”

“A pity that. A meeting from sailor to sailor may quell the misunderstandings,” Thomas replied nonchalantly. “But perhaps he might accept my personal invitation to dinner in my ship. With your advice, we will certainly avoid offering offending food and drink. I would also be grateful if you were kind enough to join my table, too.”

“That is a splendid idea, Sir Thomas. I shall convey your gracious invitation to Reïs Ali and I shall give you the Reïs’s reply as soon as possible. Now, if you will excuse me, I shall have to find Mr. Ogilvie, the quartermaster, for I have urgent business with him. Your servant, Sir Thomas, Lady Grey!”

Angela and Florence had moved away already. Thomas bowed and Mirabel curtseyed as Ousmane withdrew too, and she looked at him shrewdly.

“You are upset, darling?”

Thomas nodded. “The bloody nincompoop in his limitless stupidity brought the Dey’s assassins into Gibraltar.”

Mirabel flinched. “You think that the Dey’s cousin...”

“ ... was sent here to finish what the Dey’s dilapidated 3rd-rate was unable to achieve. Worse even, he has a far more devious way to hurt me now.”

Mirabel’s eyes widened. “Oh, dear, by killing me?”

“No, my sweet. By abducting you to his master. The ultimate humiliation and certainly the most frightening threat. We must contemplate counter measures.”

“Such as?”

“The safest place for you in this moment is my cabin in Unicorn. Angela’s house is too well known for hosting me. To protect her and Florence, I must make it known to this Reïs Ali that you are residing in my cabin. We must also find ways for you to return safely to England.”

“You mean for me to return to Guildford?”

Thomas nodded with a mixture of sadness and anger.

“Yes, damn this fool Ousmane! It’s the only way to ensure your safety and my sanity! Mirabel, I could not stand you being hurt on my account. I could not stand losing you. I could not stand knowing you in the hands of that foul potentate.”

Mirabel shuddered at the thought. “I understand, dearest. I suppose there is no way to guarantee my safety here. That captain may leave behind his agents even after the xebec leaves Gibraltar. But are you quite certain that it is safe for you to entertain that man in your cabin?”

“I have to chance it. Besides, I shall be prepared against foul play.”

“Be careful, Thomas. I could not stand to lose you either!”


It was a lucky coincidence that Captain Peter Colbert of the Primrose packet was also attending the soiree. He was a portly man with a square face and immense side whiskers. It was also clear that being the captain of the regular Portsmouth packet provided him with a good income, for his coat and breeches were of a fine quality and well tailored. Thomas introduced himself.

“Good evening, Captain Colbert. I am Captain Sir Thomas Grey, of the Unicorn frigate. My wife, Lady Grey.”

Colbert bowed politely. “A pleasure to meet you, Sir Thomas, milady!”

“Perhaps you can be of assistance to us, Captain.”

Colbert nodded and bowed. “Pray, Sir Thomas, how may I help?”

“My wife has to return to England quite unexpectedly, and I was wondering whether you might have a free passenger cabin for the return journey to Portsmouth?”

“Why, yes, Sir Thomas! Will Lady Grey travel alone?”

“I believe she will be accompanied by our daughter and by her companion, Miss Soubeyran.”

Mirabel gave Thomas a surprised look, but kept silent.

“Would the ladies be willing to share a cabin? My best cabin sleeps two, and it is not taken yet.”

“Would you agree to share with Florence, dearest?” Thomas asked Mirabel. She nodded with slight hesitation.

“I believe we have an agreement then, Captain. When do you plan to weigh anchor?”

“In three days, with the sunrise, Sir Thomas. Will the Lady Grey come aboard on the evening before?”

Thomas shook his head judiciously. “I shall convey her to your ship before sunrise, Captain. A word of warning though: there’s an Algerian xebec lying at anchor here. I fear that her captain and crew may have ill designs for me and my wife. I would ask you to keep my wife and Miss Soubeyran’s identity a secret until your sailing.”

Colbert stroked his side whiskers. “That might have to do with you sinking the Dey’s fleet?”

Thomas wagged his head. “That, and the fact that his nephew was killed in a thwarted pirate raid on Sardinia, with my frigate firing the broadside that killed him.”

Colbert nodded grimly. “Scum! Yes, I will be mum about your wife. No need to stir up trouble.”

“My thinking exactly, my dear Captain. Are we in agreement then?”

“Of course. I shall hold the cabin ready and tell my purser that it’s for a Major, umh, Huntington.”

“Splendid, Captain! I shall send the fare to your agent.”

“I trust you will, Sir Thomas.”

“Thank you, Captain, and enjoy the evening!”

“You too, Sir Thomas. Lady Grey, I look forward to hosting you in my ship.”

“Thank you, Captain. I trust we shall have opportunities to get to know each other,” Mirabel answered nicely.

They stepped into the gardens and Mirabel looked at Thomas.

“Are you quite certain that Florence will want to leave? She is quite taken by Mr. Darby.”

“Who fought with us at Sant’Antioco. Besides, they might mistake her for you.”

“Oh, you mean...”

Thomas nodded. “I’m not saying you look like sisters, but if some assassin was given a superficial description of you...”

“I see. We must warn her. When do you want me to shift to Unicorn?”

“Tonight,” Thomas answered immediately. “Maybe I am completely wrong about that xebec and her captain, but the situation disconcerts me. Besides, we can shift you to that packet before dawn without anybody knowing about it. The men will love to have Teresa back, albeit for a few days, and may God have Mercy on the man who tries to hurt the girl, because the hands won’t. Perhaps having Florence on board will expedite Mr. Darby’s courtship too.”

“So we shall go to Angela’s house and pack my things?”

Thomas nodded. “I shall write a note to Darby to send over a few men to escort us.”

Mirabel’s eyes opened wide. “You are taking this seriously.”

“Yes, I do. And I had better write this note now. Let us also find Angela and Florence.”

Turning, Thomas saw a young midshipman who looked lost and intimidated amongst all the higher officers, and he had a better idea than sending a written note. The young man stood at attention when a high and mighty captain approached him.

“Sir!” he squeaked.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.