Hairy Roadtrip - Cover

Hairy Roadtrip

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 10

Since 1919, Sheridan has provided space for aviation ... Aviation Field, a grass strip, became Municipal Field and that became Sheridan County Airport, a full service commercial venture. In 1980, it was a going concern. Flights to Gillette, Casper, Cheyenne and Denver carried passengers daily.

Handley Page British-made Century lll turbo-prop aircraft operated by Sheridan based Air U.S. departed Sheridan County regularly. Flights featured a snack, Jolly Ranchers candy from a bulk box and drinks, soda pop and bottled water from a cooler between the last row of seats. Passengers were requested to notify the pilots before they went after water or soda ... the movement upset the balance of the aircraft. Notification was by shouting, “I’m getting soda or water.”

Sheridan County does not have a tower ... the waiting room/tower is a 1950’s brown brick single story affair attached to a large hangar. The entire place is user friendly as would be expected of a backwoods operation. The ticket agent is also the flight attendant who is also the co-pilot.

The coal mines were in full swing and mid level mine personnel commuted regularly. So there WAS a need for an airline.

My little Beech and its radial engines brought older folks up the hill to see what was going on with the consecutive takeoffs and landings of the nose wheel tricycle geared 18H. While I was waiting for Davy to show or Karen to answer the ranch phone, I’d spent most of the day giving curiosity seekers free rides. I had money ... couldn’t spend the interest. Why not?

I don’t know how many times I was told of the two WW ll training planes at the Buffalo airport ... nor do I recall how many oldsters were disappointed that I already knew about the Kansans and had bought the pair with restoration in mind. When people discovered I was local they thanked me for the ride, made their excuses and hightailed it out of there.

The youngsters were vocal about Bobby and The Silver Spur band that was playing nightly at the Holiday Inn ... they liked the free airplane ride but they were wrapped up in young adult adventures. Life goes on.

A Boyertown bodied walkthrough Dodge Van pulled up to the office.

The first thing I thought was, WOW! I’d love to own that. A second look and suddenly I remembered ... Denver ... Karen. That was Karen getting out of the cab. She looked different ... older ... not quite so innocent ... makeup? A skiff of makeup! I need to have a talk with my kid.

I didn’t get a chance to talk ... she made a running leap, knocked me down and started kissing. The looks I got.

“That’s Karen ... she’s the lead guitarist with the Silver Spur,” said one kid.

“I know!” said a large footballer, “What a rip! She’s kissing an old man.”

“He doesn’t look old enough to be her dad,” said a third.

“No ... but he must be... 30,” said the first teen.

“29,” I said. “You can still trust me.

“Karen ... be careful of my head. I just got our of the hospital. Concussion ... pretty nasty.”

The PA announced: Air US flight 721 from Denver now arriving.

We watched the Maytag seemingly hover over the last few hundred feet before the runway and then speed down to the turn and thundered noisily back to the terminal.

Bet you can’t guess who was the first passenger to deplane.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.