Traitor - Book 1
Chapter 15: Joining Forces

Copyright© 2017 by Hunter Johnson

The meetings occurred after breakfast in his conference room, adjacent to the bridge. As usual the table was replete with pastries, and there were a variety of drinks to please most tastes.

The intelligence group held the floor.

“The nearest troops to our target are a mile away. We can’t find an underground tunnel that communicates with the target building. I still have an uneasy feeling that there’s a subterranean connection.” Connie stated with concern evident in her voice.

“We can insert gas into the building through the air conditioning system and also make holes in the walls at floor or ceiling level to ensure comprehensive coverage. We’ll have less of a confrontation then, and should capture the priests and the clones more easily.” Janet said.

“There’s a large square in front of the building where we’ll install our anti-fighter, anti-gunship systems alternating with antitank and antipersonnel ordinance. There’s enough room for us to do everything we need, and have a substantial escort on the ground. We’ll also bring our own tanks. We’ll bring explosive into the building and use it if necessary if we find connecting tunnels.

“On a superficial level you may consider this overkill. I also agree with Connie. There’s something about the situation that worries me. If the troops are alerted, it’s important to know and remember that there are at least ten thousand of them with powerful weaponry. We are going to hit them very hard in their barracks from the ship, then hit them again using our fighters and gunships and then use our tanks supported by gunships to try and mop as many of them as we can before they can use their own weaponry.

“Both Phoebe and I’ve been involved with the design of defensive positions and we know that they will have hardened underground facilities. We’ll be hit by a counterattack that will include fighters and gunships. We’ll also see troops emerge from hidden and hardened facilities. As soon as we see them emerge we’ll hit them from the ship and our frigates in the atmosphere, but we’ll be facing a significant force. Speed is of the essence. We need to get in and out of there as soon as possible. There’s little value in going head-to-head with them in the short term. We do not have sufficient marines to go toe to toe with them. Our attack will give us an opportunity to hit them hard and they will be forced to reveal their defenses.

“I’ll ensure that sufficient force will be put in place so we can defend ourselves. Our priority is to escape with our prisoners. We try to plan for every eventuality, and this has saved us on many previous occasions. Fast action is the key. No matter how good our intelligence is, unless you spend months watching the enemy you don’t find hidden forces.

“In my early career, I was exposed to an excessive amount of poor intelligence, and lost many people as a result. It’s for that reason that we have made as much effort as we can to explore what we are going to face. We need to be excessively careful. On top of that, the situation looks too easy and it has the feel of a trap,” Janet said firmly and convincingly. “ I want to fight every battle with them on our terms.”

“We’ll complete the destruction of the moon defenses, and the defensive platforms, before the ground forces hits the dirt,” Col. Phoebe Harris noted. “We’ll then expect to face camouflaged and hidden weaponry. Mines are already in place around the defensive platforms and we have placed explosives on the platforms without exposing our presence. Special forces and further Marines are deployed to infiltrate the defenses on the moon as they appeared to be more hardened than the planetary ones. We are alert to the possibility of fighters on the moon.

“We have prepared bunker busting missiles to follow conventional missiles hitting the garrisons. We hope to destroy underground structures beneath the more obvious garrisons.

“Our infiltrators will introduce gas into the facility prior to the first shot or the first explosion, then our marines will hit the ground when we predict the facility will be asleep and then the tanks, fighters and gunships can safely move in to protect against other eventualities. Another group will set up the ground-based defensive systems. We have fitted out most of our missile ships to play a significant role in an anti-fighter, tank and gunship role; I’ve a feeling that we’ll use them all.

“We’ll load the remainder of missile ships with bunker busters. The second we see fighters emerging from a facility we’ll hit the facility from the ship and then with further bunker busters from the ground-based missile ships if we see more activity. We’ll station part of our growing fleet on the other side of the planet to hit any facility that’s exposed.

We don’t have enough ground forces to fight a sustained action, however we’ll prevail with what we have!” said Janet confidently. Most of our forces will be deployed in the establishment of a robust defensive perimeter for the defense of the extraction troops.

The priests’ planet Nirvana, Cardinals compound, Temple of Paradise, Conference room adjacent to the office of his worship Patriarch Zora.

Eight Cardinals sat at their usual seats part way through the weekly meeting with the Patriarch Zora.

“Cardinal Malkinski, I note with a degree of concern that we have not heard from my ship for well over a week. Ezekiel, isn’t that a little unusual? Bishop Friedrich has been such a reliable fellow. I’ve known him since he was a child. It’s unlike him not to call home,” said the Patriarch unctuously.

“Your Eminence we have had several communications from the ship that are brief, the last one was nine days ago. They indicated that they were concerned that they were under surveillance and didn’t want to put themselves at risk by communicating with us. They indicated that everything was progressing according to the plan, and they were doing very well.

“The pretender from Earth has futilely been attempting to meddle with the effectiveness of the work on the ship’s computer systems, but they were easily able to thwart his puny efforts. They said he didn’t have a crystal and would be unlikely to acquire one, and they were reversing his feeble efforts daily.

“They told me that one of them saw him board the ship and he was old and frail. They estimated he was ancient and must have been one of the earliest to receive medical treatment before he left for that Lord forsaken planet Earth, probably older than the Emperor and the Matriarch. He must have not been eligible for a crystal, possibly a defective.

“They believe they have been successful at poisoning him, but his vicious animals tore apart friar François Bechtold after the event. Bechtold was attempting a reconnaissance prior to a kidnap attempt,” said Ezekiel Malkinski the head of intelligence. “We don’t have the equipment to deal with these unknown wild animals. Kidnapping isn’t a short-term option. They will still seek an opportunity, but they pointed out they had much work to do.”

“What have we heard about the trap?” asked the Patriarch.

“All goes well. Your ship has not yet arrived. They are traveling at a very slow pace,” said Malkinski and laughed.

“Our people are finding the association with The Mob very trying. They are stubborn and can’t accept the clear validity of our way. They are increasingly defiant. It’s unacceptable, your Eminence.

“It’ll be important for us to train more of our people to become competent military leaders. We can’t rely on outsiders for the indefinite future the risks will be too great. For the time being they’re in position and are waiting and assure us they are ready to spring their little surprises.” Malkinski said and laughed.

“They assured me that they had previously heard from the ship that our people have been able to achieve far more than we had ever hoped. They managed to hide the entire supply of ship missiles in an unused hanger, they have unloaded the weapons and discharged or hidden the ordinance and have developed programs to interfere with the aim of weapons and decrease the power that’s available to the weapons for recharge. The ship won’t be able to function satisfactorily as they will slow down the AI, so that it’s worse than useless. I managed to ensure that the competent captain was replaced by a low-level cargo AI pilot. The boarding parties have comprehensive plans of the ship.

“Your Eminence we have done as much as we can. If they fail it’ll simply be a more difficult battle and if they don’t succeed at the first point, we’ll succeed at the next waypoint.

“I find it difficult to believe that they can possibly deal with both the traps.”

“I see that the preparations of the fleet are proceeding as planned. Our reluctant admiral has clearly been doing what we have wanted. The people of the Empire have become weak and soft. They are so easily blackmailed into doing what we want when we have their family. They need to know the pain and suffering I’ve gone through, and then they would have some backbone.

“What of our meetings with The Mob?” The Patriarch asked.

“Those meetings are on schedule. I think they like the idea of an attack on the Empire. They will hear how much we have done to weaken the Empire and prevent their ability to react. There’s enough that we can tell them that will draw them in to capture a fat prize. Then you will have your reward” said Malkinski.

“I’ll have the matriarchs head on a plate gilded on a platform in the cleanser where she can watch me perform my usual ablutions.

“It’s sad to have to ally ourselves with this group who call themselves The Mob. I’ve come to despise their leadership. Many of those who I knew from my youth have been displaced by this new arrogant group whose origin I can’t establish. We must watch them I don’t trust them, I suspect that they have usurped the power for themselves. Their worlds are very wealthy and I know they had good people, but they have fallen behind the Empire more and more over time,” said Papa Zora.

“Soon we’ll have our own fleet and a substantial military force which we can bend to our will. We’ll show this Mob that we’ll be a force to be reckoned with. What is next on the agenda? Let’s move on to business units.

“Sabas, I see that our business is progressing well. Sales are flourishing and your supplies of people appear to have increased. Let’s keep it up, maintaining the fleet is going to be an expensive proposition! Providing sufficient food for the fleet was difficult to achieve. We have had to send some of our best farmers to the ships in order to grow their own food and thus keep our costs down; but even so, the cost was breathtaking. The whole clone exercise in itself used nearly half our reserves. I have to say it’s not much cheaper to acquire a fleet rather than buy one, but in practical terms it’s the only way to go,” The Patriarch proclaimed in a sonorous voice while looking proudly at his team.

They all laughed long and loudly.

________________________________________\

Four hours later, Jason was in one of the large shuttles. He was dressed in heavy armor with an integrated helmet and visor. The armor was powered and bristling with weapons. He had operated the armor in simulations so he was familiar with the interface, but being in the armor was different. It felt claustrophobic until one got used to the capacity for 360° vision, and could breathe freely. He was to be protected by twenty Marines, with their two Corporals, a Sergeant, and a Lieutenant. He could see they were loaded for bear. The trip to the surface was eerily quiet. The defense platforms didn’t lock onto them as they were too small and cloaked.

Inertia and atmospheric travel had been mastered tens of thousands of years ago. They hopped through the atmosphere to the surface and landed along with sixty massive tanks, miscellaneous armored vehicles, gunships which were effectively weapon and missile platforms and much larger versions of the tanks and troop carrier after troop carrier.

They ran towards the building while the Marines unloaded the missile systems and defensive batteries which were mounted on special heavy tanks customized for the purpose.

The intelligence group assured them that the people in the facility were asleep. The Marines entered the house ahead of Jason and rapidly bound the priests and began moving them to shuttles. He heard Janet say that the defensive platforms had been disabled as were the known facilities on the moon.

The Marines suggested that Jason make his way to the senior general. Jason entered the room to see a body on the bed completely covered by blankets. He approached the bed, the cupboard opened and there was the general in full armor, dressed in armor similar to his.

“In my hand, I’ve a trigger for a very large bomb under the bed. You had better talk quickly or we’ll all be in fragments. Who are you and what is your purpose?”

She opened her other hand to show an Armog 8; a very lethal grenade of Empire manufacture. She pointed to one of the Marines.

“Look under the bed at the box and tell them what you see,” she commanded in a firm but calm voice.

The Marine moved to look under the bed as instructed.

“There’s a very big box of Armog 8 grenades under the bed that are all wired together. It looks like one of the boxes of sixties. That baby will create one hell of an explosion.”

“Many of us here have the same under our beds. We have nothing to lose. So, tell me a good story and give me a reason not to blow ourselves into oblivion. Do not underestimate us as being amateurs, ; we knew we were under surveillance. You must think us amateurs. Give me a reason not to kill us all.”

They could hear explosions in the distance. Jason assumed that it was the ship missile and cannon fire.

“I don’t believe you. I think it’s a fabrication. The priests wouldn’t let you’ve so much ordinance. They wouldn’t take the risk of letting you be in control of so much dangerous explosive,” said marine Sergeant Olivia McNamara.

“I’m delighted,” the General said, “that someone here had some brains. I hope that means that we have some potential for discussion but make it quick, time is passing, and soon we all are going to be in danger. To answer your question, we insisted on practicing with weapons and grenades. The priests got bored watching us and we hid a lot of ordnance. We built up their trust.”

The explosions now started closer to them and began to move out. They had to shout to be heard. Jason heard the sound of anti-aircraft missiles which he recalled from simulations.

“My name is Jason Kargo and I come from a primitive planet called Earth. My family was originally from the Empire and we were placed on the planet for reasons that I don’t know. A battleship came to fetch me. That battleship is above us and we are destroying the priests’ positions. We came here to take the senior officers back to our battleship to find out what is going on. My family and in particular my great-grandfather is ill, and the Empress sent for me to return to assist him. My family name is Kargo. My great-grandfather previously was one of the kings, but is now sick.

“Let me provide you with a very brief history of my journey to the Empire, I tell it to you as it’s relevant. I found a priest trying to poison me after I was on the ship for two months, and discovered that it’s part of an extended plot by the priests to poison men throughout the Empire to reduce their fertility and function. I also found a considerable amount of incriminating material about Papa Zora, traitor to the Empire, on the ship. He used the ship extensively at one time. He created the clones and we suspect he wants to use you to attack the Empire. He hates the Empire and has aligned with The Mob.

“He also has groups of priests hidden on the battleship trying to sabotage what we do. We have had a series of attacks upon us to block my coming to the Empire. I propose that we take you and your people with us to the ship and have discussions to work together to attack Papa Zora.

“There may be a second incentive for you guys to join us. I understand that those of the royal family have unique genes. If I’m of the royal family, then my genes, I understand, are able to help repair your genes. That’s the rumor that I have heard. That will at least give some of you a normal life. If you’ve a gene test machine you can validate my royal status.”

“Marine,” she pointed at the same one who had looked under the bed, “go to the door and turn left and at the first door on your left enter and ask my assistant to bring in the gene validator.”

Jason heard what he assumed were fighters scream past, then further explosions followed by lesser detonations at a distance. The sounds were coming closer.

The marine went next door and brought in a major who was similarly clutching a trigger and carrying the gene validator.

“Test this gentleman who will need to expose his hand at least and tell me if he’s of royal origin,” said the general, “and make it snappy we need to get the hell out of this place.”

“Processing,” she said, “hold on it takes a while for full validation with the primitive connection we have here. The priests are real cheapskates when it comes to spending on infrastructure in this place,” she showed the general what there was on the panel.

“All right,” replied the general, “get Andrea and tell her to move her people to the shuttles and tell the others it’s okay and I’ll explain later, we need to move and move now! This place will soon be hornet’s nest and I don’t want to be Krevil mince.”

Jason heard a further series of explosions initially in the distance and then moving closer. He felt the ground shudder and assumed that it was the first of the bunker busters. From then on it was constant explosions and shuddering. Marines carried the priests with ties on their wrists and ankles and soon were on their way back to the ship. The generals and admirals and their staff all in full armor ran out with Jason to the gunship and escorts, boarded and quickly found themselves in space with the battleship in distant sight, but they were rapidly approaching the ship.

Jason introduced himself to General Linda Andrews and Admiral Andrea Phillips, the most senior of those in command staff, as the gunship hurtled towards their target.

Suddenly Jason felt the shuttle take evasive action as an enemy fighter made its way towards them and a pair of missiles narrowly missed them to explode as the short-range gunship cannon and missiles intercepted them. They stopped talking and watched the spherical gunship hologram intently. They saw one of the fighters from the battleship coming up rapidly behind it and hit it with cannon fire. On the hologram, he saw hundreds of missiles leaving the surface and dogfights near the surface and above. He saw some battleship fighters returning to the ship and then saw a cloud of fighters emerging from the other side of the planet. He could see damaged and derelict weapons platforms and extensive debris. Suddenly he saw two squadrons of enemy fighters blocking their path rapidly converging on their position, firing missiles. Their gunship was moving in an erratic pattern, countermeasures were being ejected and the point defense system was firing mini-cannon and missiles continuously. Their escort of nine fighters and a gunship did their best to protect them but quickly they were whittled down to three fighters and a damaged gunship. The remainder of the enemy squadrons was similarly reduced and was heading towards them. Jason began to believe he was facing his doom.

Jason saw two of their own frigates, heading their way firing missiles and cannon at the enemy fighters. He felt a great sense of relief, and then the gunship lurched as he felt a sickening blow to the hull. His visor closed automatically as the hull was breached. He saw one of the sleeping priests, a section of the hull and the priest’s chair sucked out, along with all their air. He felt his seat hold him. He saw the amazing automated hull repair system in action as the hole closed quickly from the edges to seal the shuttle in moments. The shuttle lurched sickeningly again before their trip smoothed out again. He saw the frigates, one alongside them, and one ahead of them. The only enemy fighters he could see were too far away to harm them. They were going to make it.

He bent over and kissed the hanger’s deck when he’d shed his armor and had exited the shuttle. The Marines and the clones laughed.

Jason invited the senior staff to accompany him to the bridge meeting area, accompanied by an escort of his Marines. He asked the sergeant to arrange to provide quarters for the less senior officers, close to where the marines and fighter pilots were berthed.

“Welcome to the bridge and operations planning and control area; or, as I think of it, command central. Please excuse me for a moment while we review the status of our operation. When the situation settles we’ll do introductions and we can chat briefly,” Jason said apologetically. “Then, I’ll arrange for you to be shown your wardrooms, where you can refresh yourselves. Our marines will show you to our canteen and we’ll meet up for lunch.”

Marie showed up with a team of waiter bots who brought drinks and a selection of Danish pastries and ‘bear claws.’

Jason cycled through a series of holograms and split them in half, looking simultaneously at what had happened, on his left, and what was happening on his right in space and on the ground. As soon as the attack began he saw that an enemy force of fighters, tanks, and gunships emerged from underground bunkers to engage the atmospheric fighters. Bunker busters soon struck the area and no further fighters emerged. The fighting was intense but the battleship fighters were assisted by heavy gunships, missile gunships and the frigates in the atmosphere. The missile platforms were cleared early in the conflict and many of the ground forces had been also rapidly destroyed. The wildcard was several further small launches of fighters along with a further five thousand troops emerging from underground bunkers that had not been previously located.

The enemy troops didn’t have adequate anti-air/space defenses. They also had no defense against the relentless attacks from the ship-based heavy weapons. The large number of anti-aircraft missiles and other defensive cannon that they had taken to the surface as suggested by Winston made a critical difference. It may have even turned the tide. It took some time for the ship-based fighters to whittle down the last few enemy fighters. Some had left the atmosphere to attempt to engage some of the shuttle traffic and attempted to intercept the gunship with most of the priests.

It was heavily armed and protected by a number of fighters and two missile carriers which helped to destroy the fighters. Jason saw the missile ship that had escorted them taken out by a heavy enemy gunship that was itself destroyed in the attack. Rogue enemy fighters were still around in some numbers but their missiles were ineffective against bigger ship’s shields. The battleship and cruiser employed their middle range batteries with some effect, but often missed agile fighters. They resorted to missiles that were more successful, but were gross overkill for the size of the fighters.

The enemy managed to shoot down forty-three fighters and one gunship but all the pilots survived. Four of the fighters had crashed into the ground. They recovered all but one pilot, whom the enemy had captured.

On the ground, the tanks had proven themselves invaluable. They were equipped to deal with both air and ground forces and should realistically have been called a small heavily armored battle shuttles. They carried thirty marines. They were more than a match for the ground force enemy equivalents. Two had been destroyed and four severely damaged, but the ground forces in opposition were in disarray. They had no protection from the continued remorseless air attack and attempted to hide for protection.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.