A Fall to Grace - Cover

A Fall to Grace

Copyright© 2017 by Kaffir

Chapter 24

Grace and Terry spent a quiet weekend similar to their first one together except no holds were barred. They did not spend the whole of it snogging. Terry still had his study work and Grace had to do her weekend chores. Nevertheless they took exercise, not adventurously because the weather did not encourage it, and they practised their Bach. All the same they were seldom far apart and there were plenty of intimate and loving gestures and touches.

It was not until Tuesday that Gareth’s apology to Grace arrived. He had sent Terry’s to his home address. He picked it up on his way home the following day. Both were much the same in their genuineness and in Terry’s he admitted ruefully that he had deservedly had a taste of his own medicine from his foreman.

Terry handed it to Grace. “That’ll teach him,” he grinned.

Grace read it through and grinned back. “I think that without becoming friends we can let bygones be bygones though but we shouldn’t, certainly at this stage, revoke the restraining order.”

“Dead right.”

Grace changed the subject. “Terry, my love, you know we got the go-ahead for the new garage from the Board but we have still got to decide which tender to go for. Do you know a civil engineer who could give them a once over?”

“No but I could have a word with my tutor. I don’t think anyone would do it for free.”

“I wouldn’t expect them to. All we really need is a brief recommendation along the lines of ‘Don’t touch A. It smacks of cutting corners to keep the price down. B and C both look fine. Go for the cheaper of the two.’ Twenty-five quid for each tender, seventy-five total.”

“OK, I’ll give it a whirl. Have you got them with you?”

“Yes.” Grace looked slightly abashed.

“Cheeky!” he grinned and gave her a gentle kiss. “I’ll take them in tomorrow. When do you want the answer by?”

“Friday?”

“That sounds fair.”

“By the way all this is ‘Commercial-in-Confidence’ so please warn whoever.”

“Yes, ma’am, Miss Grace!”

Grace told Hugh Walker what she had done the next morning.

“Well done again, Grace! Let’s make a tentative plan for you, Peter and me to get together at ten next Monday.”

“Thanks, Hugh. I’ll go and warn him off.”

Hugh smiled at her. “No, Grace, let the girls earn their pay.”

Grace did not smile. She grinned cheekily. “Oh the joys of being part of the plutocracy!” she replied and then got the giggles.

Hugh laughed too. “Buzz off, you cheeky wench!” he managed.

Grace dipped him a curtsey and left.

“We’re blessed with that girl,” thought Hugh, “and young Terry’s a very lucky boy.”

Terry, with the aid of his tutor, found someone, a lecturer in Civil Engineering who happily took on the job for a welcome £75.

He came home on Friday. Davies Builders and Midlands Civils were the recommendations. The third had skimped on various quite important calculations such as main drainage proposing a cesspit rather than connecting to the main sewage disposal which would invite scrutiny by the Council health officials. The Midlands Civils had included some unasked for additions such as mobile overhead lights and air conditioning rather than just heaters. Davies had met the tender requirements without any extras and were offering a sturdy, no nonsense building twelve percent cheaper than Midlands.

“Hmm,” said Grace, “Hugh’s going to view that pretty suspiciously.”

“Why?”

“Because he knows about Gareth.”

“Ouch! When did the tenders arrive?”

“Friday.”

“Was there a date? More importantly when was the Davies one dated?”

They riffled through them and found that it was the previous Monday.

“Still no good,” said Grace. “All of that was way after the restraining order and Davies senior’s apology.”

“We both reckoned both apologies to be genuine.”

“Yes.”

“And, if you and Greg both keep a close eye on the work they won’t try any short cuts.”

Grace nodded but then said, “Unskilled eyes which they may try to pull the wool over.”

“Same with any firm. I might be able to persuade the chap who looked over the tenders to use it as a project for his students to keep an eye on but learn from watching a simple project in progress.”

“Clever man! You won’t be able to do anything about that until after our meeting on Monday but whatever our decision we’ve still got to clear it with the Council and I can have a word with Owen Davies.”

“Ready for Monday then?”

“I reckon. Thank you, my Terry. I can’t tell you what a support and encouragement you’ve been but I can give you a kiss to show you how I feel.”

She did so ... thoroughly and Terry responded.

Saturday was largely a repeat of the one before last; shopping, study, housekeeping and some exercise and fresh air. Inevitably they went to Riccardo for supper. They agreed not to have pizza for a change and instead had spaghetti. It was neither Bolognese nor Milanese, a totally Mama Speziale, but very, very good.

Sunday was lunch with Terry’s parents. Jean slipped her mother’s engagement ring into his pocket as she greeted him. Neither of his parents nor Min said anything about the engagement.

When they had all moved through to the sitting room with a drink in their hands and still standing Terry said quite sharply, “Grace!”

She turned immediately to him from Min as he knelt before her.

“I’m kneeling, my Grace, because I’ve disobeyed you. You have agreed to our engagement but forbade me to buy an expensive ring. Please would you accept as a token of my and my family’s love for you my mother’s mother’s engagement ring?”

Grace gazed at him with wonder and love. She dropped to her knees and kissed him; not passionately but warmly.

“Yes please, my darling.”

Terry took it from his pocket, slipped it on her finger and then kissed that finger.

Grace gazed silently at it for a full half minute. “It’s beautiful,” she whispered and two tears slid down her cheek before she leant forward, reaching for Terry and kissing him, not passionately but very lovingly.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.