The Dolphin - Cover

The Dolphin

Copyright© 2017 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 18

I suppose it is because I know so little of humans that I do not recognize before that Maggie is female. I see clearly that she and Jason are mates.

They do not do things with each other here in the way of mates. But I see it in how they speak to each other and how they look at each other. I would like to ask Maggie about this, I do not know the humans’ way of mating, but it is not a question that is right for me to ask. In the pod all know of Kitik and me, but it is not a thing to be spoken.

We play for the humans again. Now it is only one time in what the humans call a day. We try to do twice, but it is too tiring for Kitik. I tell this to Maggie and she says we will do one time until Kitik is well again.

Kitik is much weaker than before. He says that in the hos-pit-tall he is in a very small place where he could not swim or move about much. I think this may be good for his hurt. It heals well and he has only a small scar. In the sea it would be much longer to heal and he would have a bigger scar after. If he lives at all. He might go to the land with such a hurt.

I think perhaps the humans save his life.

When the light is above I spend much time with Maggie as she teaches me the humans’ speech. Jason comes too but only sometimes, he does other things on the land and he plays with Kitik. Kitik is with me some when I speak with Maggie but he still does not care to speak their shadow-talk. More of the time he swims in the place where we are and makes himself stronger. It will be long, I think, but he will be back to himself. Already he does not need to rest as frequently as when he is first back from the hos-pit-tall.

Maggie learns a small part of our speech. It is very little, and she does not speak right, but I see that she tries very hard. She asks do we all speak in the same way. I tell her that some is the same for all and some is not. She tells me humans speak in many ways and everything is different from this way to that. I ask how it is that this does not make confusion for them. She says some humans learn more than one way, and they are in the middle and pass the speech from one to another. I tell her I understand, but it is very difficult for me to know how such clumsiness can let the humans do things together.

One time Maggie has great excitement when she comes. I ask her about this and she tells that she receives the money that she wants. I am glad for her that she has what she has wants, though it seems strange to me if I think of money as food the way she tells me. She does not go hungry before and I do not think she eats any more well now.

I know money must be more than food but I am not sure what that more may be.

In many ways it is good here. I care for Maggie and Jason, I think of them as I do those in my pod in the sea, they are friends to Kitik and me. And the food they give us is good and we eat well. But I do not like to take all food from others like a calf from its mother. And it is dull except for the time that I spend with Maggie. I begin to think of the sea and hunting and going to many places.

Perhaps I will go there again in the brightness that is ahead. But in the now that seems far away.


The next time Maggie’s lessons with Minacou strayed seriously beyond linguistics came about almost by accident.

They’d been talking for nearly two hours when Kitik stopped by briefly. As he usually did in his visits he greeted his mate affectionately. Maggie trailed a hand in the water and he swam over to nuzzle it briefly and accept a little stroking, but within not much over a minute he swam off again. As usual again, he said not a single word during his brief stay.

“I think Kitik doesn’t like me,” she said ruefully.

“Kitik like you,” Minacou said. “Why you say?”

“He won’t talk to me,” she said. “He’ll say a few words sometimes, but mostly he doesn’t talk at all. And I know he can speak at least some.”

“He not talk because—” the dolphin lapsed into the clicks and buzzes that Maggie now knew were her own speech.

Maggie shook her head. “I’m sorry, Minacou, I don’t understand.”

The dolphin seemed to abruptly change the subject. It was growing late in the day and the sun was almost directly behind Maggie. Minacou moved slightly in the water to where she was completely in the woman’s shade.

“What word this, darker place?”

“It’s my shadow.”

“Shadow. Good. Other word, mean here, this place, this time.”

“Well...” Maggie was puzzled. “Now?” she said tentatively.

“Good. Can say better. Kitik think human talk shadow. Kitik live in now, not want speak shadow.”

Reflexively Maggie scratched her head. “Can you explain more?” she asked.

“You not understand now, shadow?”

“N-not very well. I don’t know what you mean.”

“This very hard,” Minacou said. “Not enough words. I try say better, you listen.

“You call us dolphin. Dolphin live now. What do, what see, what hear, what feel, all now. Now important.”

“Well, of course—”

“Say more,” the dolphin cut her off. “What not now is shadow. Many kinds shadow. Some shadow what do, see, hear before now. Other shadow things not— things only in mind, not now any time. More shadow is things maybe do, see, hear later, in now that is not yet.”

This time Maggie waited without speaking as the dolphin briefly submerged. She surfaced immediately and resumed.

“Some shadow bad. Some shadow not bad, not good. I think some shadow also good, but others not think so. They wish live now, be now, speak now. That Kitik. Not wish talk shadow. This time I ask—understand?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.