Best Friends Forever
Chapter 1

 

Somewhere in Omaha, Nebraska
[It was March 16, 2011 ... My Birthday]

I was finally allowed to walk to the School Bus Stop by myself. Mom didn’t understand why I needed to leave so early.

That was because of Rebecca ‘Becky’ Knowles, we had been riding to school together for a long time, making a deal to get to the bus stop early enough to talk before the other kids and the bus came along.

Becky’s birthday was June 12, 2011, so I was only three months older than her. She is shorter than I by a foot and looks only to be eleven or twelve, but the bus stop was a block closer to her than it was to me.

We talked about school, ourselves and our families. We also sat next to one another on the bus, which generated a lot of “Becky and Ricky, sitting in the tree, K I S S I N G.”

She’s a blonde, with blue eyes and I am a blond with brown eyes. Her eyes are kind of pretty -- I try not to stare at her.


Over the next couple of years, we kept seeing each other at the school bus stop, me getting taller and she was getting prettier. We started to hold hands, which started up the song, again and again.

When we both turned fourteen, our mothers decided to start driving us to school. They did not yet know each other, and so we didn’t get our time alone at the bus stop at the beginning of the day anymore.

We were given a project to work on in Science class, so I had to talk to my mother about one of us going to the other one’s house...


“My little Ricky has a girlfriend?” she teased.

“Mom, she’s a girl AND she’s a friend, but she’s not a girlfriend.”

My sister Tiffany, two years older than I - brown hair, brown eyes walked in just then.

“Did I hear right, that my little brother has a girlfriend? What species is she?”

I went over to my sister and did the really adult thing to do and stomped on her left foot, causing her to scream her bloody head off, while mom just covered her mouth and went back to fixing dinner.

She said, “Where does this young lady live, Ricky?”

“Five blocks from here, Mom – we have got a Science project to work on, and one of us needs to go to the other’s house to work on it. It’s 30% of the grade and the best project goes on to the school district Science Fair!”

“Have you picked out a project yet, Ricky?”

“Nope, we don’t have time during the day to talk about it, so I was hoping you would let me go over to her house for a couple of hours, so we can come up with a cool project.”

“Mom, he just wants to go over to her house to breed with her!” Tiffany said laughing crazily, while she rubbed her foot.

Blushing, I said, “Mom, that is not true, we have known each other for years. We are ‘school’ friends – that’s all. I’m sorry for my sister’s tantrums. I think it’s time to take her in to see the psychiatrist and find out what the voices in her head are saying to one another.”

Tiffany stormed out, still limping, while I saw Mom not completely able to control her laughter.

“Fine, take your phone with you and be home for dinner two hours from now. I usually require a ‘friend’ to meet your father and me first, but something tells me this Becky’s all right. Call me when you get there, honey?”

“Thanks Mom – you are pretty cool,” I said on my way out.

I called Becky, to tell her I would meet her at the bus stop. We did, and walked to her house, holding hands the whole way.

“Are we boyfriend and girlfriend, Becky?” I asked, causing her to stop and look at me.

“Why do you ask me that, Ricky?”

“I don’t know, my older sister said something – something about you, that made me think of asking.”

“Your older sister doesn’t even know me, why would she say anything about someone she doesn’t even know?” Becky said.

“She’s sixteen and kind of mean all of the time, and I got upset when she said what she said. I stepped on her foot.”

“Really, you did that for me?” Becky said, now with a real sweet smile on her face. “You defended my honor; thank you, Ricky.”

“Well, here is my house,” Becky declared.

“Did you tell anyone I was coming over?” I asked.

“It doesn’t matter, as long as we are quiet, but I should introduce you to my mother.”

“What is her first name, Becky?”

“Norah,” she answered.

We walked into the kitchen and I saw an older version of Becky fixing food. She looked at us and smiled.

“Who is this young man, Becky?” she said, slicing some potatoes, I think.

“This is Ricky Summers, Mom. We have been best friends since fourth grade. We met at the bus stop and now we are in the same Science class together. We have a project to design and show for class.”

“Nice to meet you Ricky. You can call me Norah if you would like. I never much liked being called Mrs. Knowles.”

“My mother has said the same thing to me before, Norah. I really don’t understand, but I never thought anyone as pretty as you, should be called ‘Mrs. Anything!’”

“Why thank you Ricky, that is awfully nice of you to say. Dinner will be in less than an hour, you’re invited if you would like?” Norah said.

“Just a minute, please?” I got my phone out and called home.

“Hello?” mom said.

“I’m here, Mom. I was asked to stay for dinner – Is that all right with you?”

“Let me talk to Becky’s mother, please?” mom asked.

I handed the phone to Norah and they spoke for a couple of minutes, then I got the phone back.

Smiling, Norah said, “She sounds like a lovely lady – It’s been OK’d. Work on whatever it is you two have to work on, and then you are staying for dinner. Then I’ll get someone, if not myself, to take you home later. Did you walk here, Ricky?”

“We both walked to the bus stop, then I took Becky’s arm and we got here.”

“You are a very considerate young man.”

“Gee, thanks, Norah. We will be working at the sofa ... we are still conceptualizing our Science project,” I said as I walked Becky over to the sofa.

Using our smart phones, we looked at different science projects other 8th graders have done, but we didn’t like anything, so we made a list of the five types of Science Fair projects,

Experimentation or Investigation
Demonstration
Research
Model
Collection

After looking that list over for a while, Becky and I decided to do a Research project.

We talked about it and developed it into a series of questions to be answered. I asked Becky, if we could try out our idea on her mother, first.

Becky said, “Sure, she can always say ‘No.’”

I walked back into the kitchen, and got Norah’s attention.


“Yes, kids – what can I do for you now?” Norah said, still working away at slicing something that smelled great.

“Mother, we have decided that we are doing a Research project, and we have a series of questions to ask you. If there is anything you don’t want to answer, it’s OK,” Becky said.

“Shoot!”

“Since you are a girl, how old were you when you first met a boy that you think you liked?” I asked.

“Interesting question, kids – Well, when I was nine I ... remember meeting a young boy named ... Robert. He was nine also, and I thought he was cute, and I think I liked him. Is that the kind of answer you were looking for?”

“Yes, Mother it is. Next?” Becky looked over at me and giggled.

“How old were you when you first met a boy that you think liked you?” I asked.

“Uhm, interesting derivative. I must have been almost eleven, and that was the year I met Andrew. He was real nice to me, but I thought he was a bit of a doofus. That means...”

“I know what that means Norah, my mother calls my father one all of the time,” I said.

They both laughed, so I laughed too.

“Next question?” Norah asked.

I looked at my phone and read, “Norah the next couple of questions are very personal, don’t answer if you don’t want -- At what age did you start your menses?”

She was rather shocked at this question, but rather impassively answered, “Twelve years old.”

“Follow up question; How old were you the first time you had sex?” I said, looking down at my feet.

“Ricky, if you are going to be asking that intimate of a question, don’t look down? It will cause the person you are asking to believe you are ashamed of the question. Also, using the generic term ‘sex’ could start a landslide of questions back and forth about what one person considers sex. I assume you are asking about traditional vaginal sex?”

I went as white as a sheet the moment she said the word ‘vaginal.’ Becky giggled but grabbed my hand and held me up.

I straightened up, stood up, cleared my throat and looked straight into her eyes and asked, “How old were you when you first experienced vaginal sex?”

“Seventeen years old,” Norah answered looking back in my eyes. She is pretty.

“Thank you, Mrs. Knowles, for your cooperation.”

I walked out of the kitchen with Becky and asked where the bathroom was. I got there just before I puked in the toilet. I flushed, washed my face and hands, gargled with some Listerine I found and came back out.

Becky was waiting right outside the bathroom door and I said, “Sorry about that?”

She gave me a little peck on the cheek, just as her father came through the front door. He took off his hat and coat, loosened his tie, and then noticed me.

“Well, who is this nice looking young man, Becky?” he asked.

“Ricky Summers, please meet my father, Russell Knowles – Daddy, this is Ricky.”

He put his hand out, so I did what my father had once told me, ‘Be in control of the handshake, let them shake yours,’ and it worked!

“A nice firm handshake, very good, Ricky. Are you staying for dinner, Son?”

“Yes, sir – your lovely wife, Norah, invited me to stay,” I replied.

“Daddy, Ricky and I have developed a Research project for our Science class, can we ask you the questions, after dinner, please?”

“Certainly, let me take a look at the paper, so I’m only twelve hours behind the news cycle of the day,” He chuckled, sitting down and picking up the Omaha-World Herald.

“Mr. Knowles, you still read the newspaper for news? All of the current news is on the Internet, including local news,” I said.

“I know that, Ricky. My life revolves around all forms of technology, so I still read the paper to see if they got anything right or not.”

“I’m sorry, sir – my mother often tells me that my brain moves faster than I can edit. I didn’t mean to be so overbearing about the Internet. What exactly do you do for a living, Sir?”

“Good question, Ricky – I am a Consultant for Google, out of their Council Bluffs office. It is only twenty minutes from here in Omaha. What does your father do, if I may ask?”

“He is a Douglas County Sheriff, Sir – for over twenty years now,” I said.

“That is an important job, Ricky – you should be very proud of him,” Mr. Knowles responded.

“Yessir, I am – every night he comes home, we are all proud of him very much. Just a few more years and he can retire.”

“DINNER!”

I got up and got the chair for Norah then Becky. It smelled terrific. I saw roast beef, vegetables, mashed potatoes and a fruit plate. Mr. and Mrs. Knowles had red wine and Becky and I had our choice of water or milk. I got whatever Becky picked. Milk!

During dinner, I found out that there were two other older siblings, a sixteen-year-old brother named Samuel and an eighteen-year-old sister named Jennifer. They were out participating in sports events. He was a track and field athlete, and she’s a volleyball player.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.