The Homecoming of Keith Boyd
Chapter 21

Copyright© 2017 by MysteryWriter

Fred Boyd his brother.
Alice Boyd his sister in law.
Nephew John 15
Niece Gabby 13
Jo Anne Wall old girl friend
Windy Wall her ex husband.
Lewis and Ellie Keith’s in laws.
Sarah Marsh retro hippie
General Briggs rd
Doris owner of the consignment shop.
Jo Anne Joyner Wall : Keith’s first girlfriend. Three girls 16 13 10

oldest daughter ginger
Mr Jessup buyer of Keith’s scooter.
Rebecca Avondale deacon and keith’s client.
Marsha stylist to Rebecca
Gulfcrest hotel/casino
Elanor, Mark and Simon family being stalked
Sylvia Amos sheriff’s detective.
Willow goth chick. Computer nerd
Abdi arab family victim of arson.
Ginger Moss Willow’s mother
Mr Serpico client in motel.
Liam Amos hunter.
Jasper Amos Liam’s son
Jerry Geyser first separated man to stay in cabin/tent.
Lou Anne Mason justice dept
Jill one of the federal cops.
Ashley Marcy’s friend.
Nurse Jane at hospital in grenada
Rodney Markham and Marcus Wilbert Deacon’s attackers
Sylvia Simmons (Marcy’s client) aka sonya
Mark Wilson sheriffs detective.
Lisa Preston mother of delinquent cook
Mike preston catfisherman and cook
Agent Rogers Doj
Marsha Edwards the girl who had a drug reaction in one of Keith’s cabin.
Debbie Schultz my first trailer rental not in danger.
Barbara Matros photography community college instructor.
Sally Rider and Teddy Martin his first bride and groom.


It was 3pm two weeks later on a Monday afternoon and the campground was totally empty. Willow and Gabby had swept, mopped, and the emptied the trash from the place. I personally finished wiping down the vinyl walls of the tents shortly thereafter. Everything was ready for any new customer who might wander in. Which was a good thing, since I had more fishermen waiting in the wings.

I thought that I was sitting pretty by sundown on that Monday. Since sundown was closer to 9PM than the official 8PM, I had already eaten my dinner, such as it was. Chisum had eaten and was reclining on the deck in the failing light. He was sniffing the air and giving out with a low growl or sharp yips. Unlike Hondo Chisum still didn’t recognize most sniffs and sounds. That fact kept us both on our toes. Shortly after settling on he deck the almost smart phone rang.

“Hello Alice did Gabby make it home?” I asked as a greeting.

“Yes she got home changed and is gone again. Don’t worry she told me a plausible story. This call is about a summer picnic,” she informed me.

“So, when, where, and who?” I asked.

“It’s going to be on the warehouse floor at the Hancock supply company’s warehouse. They mostly want a Brunswick stew with all the fix-in’s type cookout. I thought I would buy some of Jasper’s Wild Boar and make my own Brunswick stew?” she stated.

“That sounds like a real plan. I’m sure you can make it as well as anyone one. Just remember you have to cook the hell out of a wild pig,” I advised.

“I was hoping you could put together an outdoor cook shack for me?” she asked.

“Where do you want it, and when?” I asked.

“I need to start cooking in two weeks. I expect that if it is part of your property, you can look after it when it’s not in use,” she said.

“Deed me the acre behind the campground, and across from the circus tent. I’ll build you something there. You pay for the water & sewer system, and put the power in your name and make some improvements to the access road,” I demanded I’ll take care of the rest.

“Okay, but I want to extend the road and make a nice little cleared spot for small picnics behind the kitchen,” she added.

“We can work the picnic area out later. It’s on you to provide adequate parking and access for it, without using my drive.”

“That drive was always your father’s farm road, It gave him access to the land I’m talking about.” she said.

“Yes Alice, but there wasn’t a hundred cars coming in at one time,” I said.

“Okay, I see what you mean. How about I build a gravel lot at the road. Then build the picnic area behind the campground?” she asked.

“That might work. But so you can use it now, let’s put the kitchen at the end of the drive across from Circus tent,” I suggested.

“That’s a good plan,” Alice agreed. “Make it a ten by fifteen kitchen with a concrete floor. I need water, sewer and power. Like you said I’ll supply all the appliances.”

The commercial plumbing supplier got a call the next morning. The night of the call I was up late figuring the number and sizes of pipe and fitting I needed to construct the kitchen of Alice’s dreams. The agreement was to have it all on site sometime Friday.

“I went down Tuesday afternoon to move the Kayaks out of the way. I had to create a truck access to the driveway area beside the Circus tent.

Once I had it all figured out, I called Jasper. “Jasper, I need some help clearing a rough building site. Can you bring a chainsaw and come over tomorrow?”

“Sure how about afternoon will that be okay?” he asked.

“Yeah but we are going to stay at it till it’s done. Keep that in mind,” I said.

The next call I made was to the concrete contractor who had poured all my other slabs. I arranged with the owner of the tiny company to come in and layout the slab, then pour it. I liked my contractor because he knew what pipes had to be in place for the plumbing to be added. I had PVC pipes piled in the Circus Tent which would do for the rough in. So the plans were all made by Wednesday morning, after I installed my metal leg, I drank coffee until Jasper called.

“Keith do you have enough work for my brother?” he asked.

“Probably, bring him with you. I still pay helper’s a eight bucks an hour. You get ten since you are supplying equipment,” I informed Jasper. Since Alice was donating the land for a ten year free least, it was my money. I sure as hell didn’t want to waste it.

The three of us made short work of widening the drive into Circus tent. And then we cleared the area for the slab. It was well after 7PM when we finished. But at the end of the day, I did have a place to stack the PVC. I also had a clear place to pour the slab.

The next day I finished breakfast then sat on the deck waiting for the delivery trucks to arrive. First came the used, heavy weight, vinyl advertising banners. I unloaded them onto the parking lot of Circus Tent first. Then after the truck had gone I moved them inside the Circus Tent with a wheel barrow. I had bought it sometime before for just such chores.

I finished that job over an hour before the PVC pipe arrived. That I had the driver dumped at the end of the newly lengthened and widened drive. By five o’clock I was free for the evening. I locked the access gate with the padlock and chain. No one could open it without breaking it, and having their picture taken. After that precaution I rode the bike to the new crossroads diner. It was a new joint which I hadn’t tried yet.

I had carried Chisum along to have his dinner there as well. He had been good during all the work I had done around the place. I felt a treat was in the cards. We both had a hamburger. Mine came with French Fries which I gladly shared with Chisum. He got water, but I got iced tea.

Chisum and I were the center of attention. It seemed he always was in public places. Unlike Hondo, Chisum looked cuddly. He even played to it. He was an attention whore. Not only did I not mind his whoring, I found it humorous.

I carried Chisum to dinner because the next day, he was going to be tied to the front deck. At least while I stood bye for the digging and pouring of the slab. Once the workers had gone Chisum would be free to run around the house. He would, however, not be free to track through the slab.

I stayed up until I was exhausted which was my habit. When I went to sleep, I didn’t dream, at least I didn’t remember dreaming. Which was the same thing as not dreaming I suppose.

I awoke the next morning, put on the coffee, took a shower, then fed Chisum. He and I ate on the front deck while we waited for the concrete pour.

There were four of them who arrived in one old truck and one newer one. The old truck was larger and carried a small tractor with a scraper blade. The other truck carried a cement mixer.

The old truck went right to the slab site and dropped the small tractor. The truck also dropped some lumber covered in dried cement. They obviously were the forms. The men spread out like beavers. All except for the driver of the large truck. He drove away to pick up materials. The contractor had always been well organized which appealed to me.

I spent the day hanging out with them. I did it so that I could arrange anything out of the ordinary which might come up. Nothing did, so I mostly spend the time puttering around the Circus Tent. The slab had overnight to start curing.

Saturday it was still dark looking, which I took as a sign it still had curing to do. That being the case, I put Chisum in his pen and rode the faster bike into Greenville for lunch. I also drove by the 2nd chance store. I couldn’t carry anything home, but I bought every bed frame Doris had in the store and several used bikes.

I just wanted them on hand for future builds, so I left them to be picked up that evening by my nephew John. John had called me the night before to ask if he could use one of my cabins. I had agreed, if he would stop by before his date to made a pick up at second chance store. I instructed him to just drop it at the Circus Tent shop. Yes I had planned that far in advance. Not something I am usually noted for, but I do have my moments.

For me and my friends Sunday is not usually a work day, however they will make and exception now and then. The PVC fabricator had a real job with a real construction company, so the best time to get him was a Saturday or Sunday. He would have preferred Saturday, but since the concrete hadn’t cured he settled for Sunday. Jasper could come out of the swamp to help me on Sunday most weekends.

Come Sunday morning my Lego fabricator was at the gate by 7AM. We left the gate open. I called jasper on the phone to advise him just to drive on down. Since the PVC fabricator got paid by the job, he and I started work without Jasper.

Martin and I fabricated and glued joints to as many pieces as possible without getting them into the air. I didn’t like standing on ladders since I had no sense of where one of my left foot was. Besides we were able to work until Jasper arrived. After he did, the two of them set the prefab pieces, while I cut and fitted more joints on additional pieces.

It was dead dark at 9PM, so we were packing up the truck in the dark. We were convinced that there was nothing major left to be completed. I paid them both in cash. I had them sign invoices for the money. Between the two of them they got six hundred dollars cash. I needed the invoices to cover the expenditure. There was no doubt that I was going to end up paying Alice more for her land, than I had paid Fred for his land.

After we closed up shop on Sunday night, I noticed John’s truck was in front of one of the cabins. I had of course seen him bring in the bed frames and bike parts. He had even stopped to wave at me.

I saw his pickup truck when I went up front to check the gate. As I walked back to the Gatehouse Chisum walked beside me and gave little yips as he passed the campground. All that his yips meant was that he wasn’t comfortable with the people inside the campground. It also meant that he would be on edge over night. Well at least until he fell asleep.

It was a normal night I stayed up until 2AM. An hour later I was awaken from my sleep when I heard the sound of sirens coming onto the plantation. I drug myself out of bed and stumbled to the front door. I used the single crutch to move out onto the deck.

I knew better than to try to insert myself into the police call, whatever it was. That didn’t mean I didn’t have an interest in what was going on. Since one of the inhabitants of the cabin was John, I was more than a little interested. When a county ambulance and second patrol car arrived, I was past waiting quietly for a sheriff’s employee to contact me.

I went inside my house to reinstalled my leg after only an hours sleep. Since I wore camouflaged cargo shorts, it was obvious that I was an amputee. I walked up the rough drive. I spoke to a sheriff’s deputy in the yard.

“What the hell is going on?” I asked.

“Who are you?” he asked.

“I own this place. My nephew was staying in one of the cabins overnight,” I explained.

“Wait right here,” he replied.

While I waited for the cops to return, I called Marcy, the Deacon’s kid. “Marcy I know it’s the middle of the night but I think I might need a lawyer by morning. Before you ask I don’t know why.” Then I went on to explain why I knew less than nothing more.

“If you can get to your nephew or his partner tell them to keep their mouths shut, and I will find out what is going on. I’ll try to find out and get to you before they get to you,” she said.

I stood a few more minutes then I went to one of the other cabins. I walked in but a deputy headed me off. He demanded that I leave.

“Unless you give me a place to sit down, there is going to be another lawsuit,” I explained.

“Have a seat in the patrol car over there,” the closest deputy suggested.

While I waited for a deputy to return, I considered calling Fred, but I didn’t know what to tell him. I forced myself to relax while I wait for someone who knew something to return.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.