Apocalypse Blues
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2017 by Mark Gander

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 1 - Adam Clarke is just a regular Navy veteran going to West Virginia University on the GI Bill, right? Think again, as he discovers, after Doomsday, with the help of a growing harem, a radical classmate, and her lesbian lover, his history professor.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Ma/Ma   Mult   Consensual   Gay   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Celebrity   Military   School   War   Science Fiction   Post Apocalypse   Paranormal   Demons   Sharing   Slut Wife   BDSM   DomSub   MaleDom   FemaleDom   Rough   Gang Bang   Group Sex   Harem   Orgy   Polygamy/Polyamory   Swinging   Interracial   Anal Sex   Analingus   Double Penetration   Exhibitionism   First   Oral Sex   Pregnancy   Squirting   Voyeurism   Clergy   Public Sex   Teacher/Student   Nudism   Politics   Revenge   Violence  

I was admittedly somewhat shocked when I realized that I wasn’t alone in the showers, but then again, who could blame me? Just that morning, I was a regular college student, attending WVU summer classes on the GI Bill, dealing with the heat and humidity of early July in Morgantown, West Virginia. I was busy with studies, my job at the local bookstore, and the occasional recreation, which varied depending on the extent of my workload. Dorm life sucked at times, but it had its upsides as well. It being the summer, I had only one roommate, who mostly let me be, having a busy life of her own. Maybe they or someone else from the dorm was holed up, hiding like me for now until sure of what to expect.

Cautiously, I turned a corner in the dim light, not speaking a word, when I heard a very high-pitched, very distinctly female scream. Was it my roommate Xia Delan, a junior like myself, but from Shanghai, China? She tended to be rather aloof toward me, as I mentioned before. Was it Gabby Rosales, a Puerto Rican girl who grew up in Spanish Harlem and wanted to advance faster, thus the summer classes. She tended to be a bit of an activist at times, and who knew what she would do in this mess. At times, she frankly annoyed me, but people could change in weird conditions like this.

“Um, Xia? Gabby?” I asked tentatively.

“No, it’s me, Hannah,” the voice replied, rather scared and uncertain.

“Hannah? I don’t know a Hannah,” I observed, “You’re a student, right?”

“Not ... exactly. I was doing the College Visitation tour ... when it happened. Gabby was showing me around, but she went out for a smoke ... and I don’t know what happened after that. Who the hell are you?” the frightened voice spoke up.

“I’m ... Adam Clarke. Some call me AC, as if I’m air conditioning, which is just plain weird. How old are you, kid? Show yourself,” I instructed the girl.

She nervously turned on the light and thus revealed to me that the electric power worked, at least for now. I looked closer and saw that she was about five feet, eight inches tall, so a bit taller than girls her own age. She was also a honey blonde with a golden tan, neither dark nor pale. She was somewhat slender in build, had smallish breasts, but rather nice legs that in her naked state were even more attractive. Her pussy was clearly shaved, but the eyebrows and the twat stubble made it obvious that she was a natural blonde. Her ass was definitely worth noticing as well, along with the perfect shape of her hips and waist. In short, she was a babe and she knew it.

“Hello, Hannah. It’s me, Adam. Crazy times, right? I wondered if I was alone here or not. Seems that it’s the latter. Sorry about being naked, but well, it seems that we both are. I don’t know about you, though, I think that I’m going to head out soon. I can’t hide out here forever, can you?” I asked her directly.

“Why not?” she asked me, perhaps a bit young and naive.

“Because we would run out of food and starve to death. There’s a very finite food supply in a college dorm. We need to keep moving, anyway, in case people with the wrong ideas decide to come here,” I patiently explained to the girl.

“What wrong ideas?” Hannah probed, unsure of my meaning.

“That’s a euphemism here. The wrong ideas in question refer to things like killing me and raping you. It’s anarchy and lawlessness out there. They’d rape an ugly girl with no thought at all, but you aren’t ugly. You’re not even plain, nor are you just pretty. You’re drop dead gorgeous, you’re young, and, well, you’re naked. That’s a very bad combination for avoiding rape. They see us together, they’ll think that I’m either your brother, your boyfriend, or your husband. Any one of which would make them want me dead so that they can have you.

“It gets worse, of course. If there are many of them, you’d get passed around from man to man until you’re bleeding from at least one, if not two, of your fine holes. Plain and simple. Girls like Gabby liked to say that they lived in a ‘rape culture.’ They were wrong. That wasn’t a rape culture. This is. If she’s been caught, she’s probably already learning that truth the hard way. The very painful way,” I warned Hannah, being very concerned with Gabby’s fate despite her annoying ways ... and with Xia’s, truth be told.

“In just this little time? Why? I know that something bad has happened, but I’m not sure what or why it affects us all ... or why it would be the end of the world,” Hannah expressed her confusion.

“Okay, let’s start with what you do know and how do you know it,” I inquired, while Hannah stared at me with wide, innocent, truly terrified eyes.

“I ... just ... I know that I heard someone cry out and scream and rush out of the bathroom. They must have flipped the light switch by accident on their way out. I reached for my phone ... and saw this...,” Hannah looked very pale as she touched the CNN site on her browser and showed pictures of Washington, DC, and many other cities turned into massive fireballs out of nowhere.

“Yes, I saw that. I just decided to shower, anyway, because it would focus my mind. In fact, I think that I will still go ahead with it, if you will excuse me. Besides, you don’t know if and when we’ll have running water again. Might as well use it when we still can,” I took things as stoically as I could, though that was probably a brave face mixed with resolve and shock.

Hannah was another matter ... she was inconsolable, at least for now..., “It ... it says here that one of the cities hit was ... Lisbon, Portugal. They were ... visiting Lisbon. My parents. They chose this time because they knew that I would be touring colleges, so it was perfect for a second honeymoon. They sent me picture texts from Lisbon, just this morning. Please ... please, let them have made it somehow!”

Hannah now frantically touched the keypad on her phone, getting only service interruption signals and worse. She kept trying, again and again, desperate to get a hold of them, but to no avail. She checked her social media app and found that there was a status, not minutes before the destruction of Lisbon, and it was of how horrified her parents were over the loss of so many cities around the world. They were clearly afraid, and they were just as clearly ... still in Lisbon. It was too much. Hannah bawled out her eyes as I rocked her, not wanting to accept that her folks were gone.

I then gently led her into the shower with me, washing both of us off, but also letting her soak and cry her eyes out over the devastating loss of her family. This was nothing sexual, not right then. Despite her beauty and our skin-to-skin contact, holding a teenage orphan of either sex as she wept from the horrific bereavement of her family would hardly be a turn-on for me. I just held her close and let her weep out her bitter anguish from losing her Mom and Dad.

After a while, however, we had to stop and find out what was going on, and I knew that it would take our minds off Hannah’s family, at least for now. We toweled off and began searching through the dorm for Gabby, Xia, or anyone else that we could find. We didn’t get dressed, perhaps because we both understood instinctively that the decency laws were out the window. We were on our way to my room to get my few possessions, after which we would take Hannah’s, when we heard footsteps behind us and looked the other way.

It was Gabby and she wasn’t alone. She had with her a very scared girl, who couldn’t have been more than fourteen at the most. The girl in question had short, red hair, freckles, and big, green eyes that were wide as saucers right then. She also had torn clothing, with only her cotton panties still in any kind of preserved condition. Her tank top was ripped almost in half and she already had a bare midriff. She was also barefoot and I had to resist the urge to just scoop her into my arms and carry her for a bit. She was very slim, but still had surprisingly good hips and ass for her part, not to mention her fine legs, though her breasts were nothing that large.

“Found this one about to get raped, from the looks of it!” Gabby insisted, looking very angry, “Too bad he ran away. I still got him good with a kick to the ass and then to the groin. He won’t forget that. I would love to see his butt land in jail, but they probably won’t convict him, sad to say. What kind of moron drags a young girl onto a college campus to rape her in public, even this late at night? This is about the most likely place to get caught!”

“There’s no probably about it and he’s no moron, not now, Gabby. The old world is gone. You need to get used to the new state of affairs. Haven’t you been watching the news? You normally keep a constant eye on them. Or were you too busy protesting current events to keep track of them today?” I confronted Gabby about her apparent ignorance or naivete.

“That’s what I tried to tell her, and that wasn’t rape. I hoped that someone would talk some sense into her. That was just my stepfather, Ryan. Now she’s upset him and who knows what will happen next! We were just ... you know, messing around. He does like to get a bit rough, but can you blame him? Mom is a royal cunt, trust me! I don’t know what he saw in her to be honest. She basically kidnapped me and I’m more than a little scared of her!” the girl bitched at Gabby, much to everyone’s shock, as I thought that it was attempted rape, too.

“Don’t make excuses for the guy. It doesn’t matter what you were wearing. It doesn’t justify rape. Even if you were flirting. Besides, you’re what, thirteen? It’s statutory rape, even if you do consent to it at that age. You’re a victim. I was just trying to rescue you, not kidnap you, girl! If he’s in a position of authority, that just makes it worse,” Gabby insisted.

“You’re a bit slow on the uptake today, aren’t you, Gabby?” I asked her, much to her annoyance.

“What he said,” Hannah giggled, in case anyone forgot her presence.

“What the hell do you mean?” Gabby was a bit shaken now at repeated comments that suggested that she was wrong ... doubt had started to emerge by this point.

“Well, if you looked around yourself now and then, and paid attention to what was going on, not just what your latest grievance is, you might notice the complete breakdown of law and order, the total and abrupt collapse of civilization itself, Eastern and Western alike. You know, what typically follows an apocalyptic event. Gabby, it’s Doomsday! I don’t think that most cops are on duty anymore, and the ones that pretend to be will probably just do so to rob or rape someone, or to settle old scores. Courts, laws, even money, are ultimately meaningless now. College?

“Fuck it, those days are done. We’ll probably never see them again, not in our lifetimes, at least if history follows true to form. The really smart academics are already trading their books for rifles, pistols, and God knows what else. It’s hard to say who will be more fucked right now, but anyone without a weapon had damn well better travel in a group if they know what’s good for them. An older man like this stepfather of hers was probably her best protection, and you distracted him with pain just long enough to run off with her.

“To put it more bluntly, Gabby, wake up and smell the Apocalypse! I feel bad for you, girl. You’re about to learn the hard way what a real ‘rape culture’ is, medieval style, if history can be relied upon, and since most knights were basically thugs, don’t count on chivalry to save you. Reality is a real, swift kick in the ass for people like you, I think. Idealistic, naive, noble intentions, but little grasp on anything outside your illusions. I get that you meant well. I get that you wanted a better world, but your identity politics were never going to make it one.

“That’s moot now, though. That old world is gone. Permanently, I fear. The rule of law. The courts. Police. All that jazz. Gone. Done for. It’s over. Kaput. How do I spell it out for you, missy? There is no fucking government now! At least nationally and probably not statewide, either, or even locally. People are panicking, looting, and rioting, the global economy is disintegrating, there will be no more money supply coming in through the Fed, there will be no more federal military, no federal funds for the states, no nothing.

“There won’t be a power grid in much of the world, let alone computers, internet, etc. Public officials’ days are numbered, unless they can be ruthless enough to hang on somehow. Expect more than a few warlords and factions to take over, ghost towns to emerge, and lots of caravans of refugees to form,” I articulated, making Gabby’s eyes grow to twice their size ... she wasn’t stupid, just a bit ignorant.

“So ... it’s really the end of the world? As in ... you know, Jesus coming back and that crap?” the unnamed girl asked me, clearly a bit confused.

“Um, I don’t think that Jesus has anything to do with this kind of apocalypse, sweetie. This is a very different kind of Doomsday. I hate to break it to you, but I think that Christianity has just been categorically debunked, just as postmodern, Third and Fourth Wave feminism has. What’s your name, dear?” I asked the girl now, having apparently become her protector by default, too.

“Autumn ... Autumn Murray. You are?” the girl inquired of me now.

“Adam Clarke. This is Hannah and I see that you’ve already met Gabby. I was going to summer classes here on the GI Bill. Got out of the Navy a couple of years back. I’m 24, will be 25 before too long. How old are you guys?” I switched to lighter topics for now, as I headed to my room for my stuff.

“I’m ... seventeen. Turning eighteen this fall. Just graduated high school,” Hannah admitted, not that it mattered.

“I’m ... fourteen myself. Just barely. Yeah, Ryan was robbing the cradle with me, as some say, but now he’ll probably just dump Mom and find himself some other ladies. I was really the only excuse that he had not to walk out on her, the stupid bitch. If Mom dies from whatever happens next, it’s on you, Gabby. You killed her just as if you took a knife to her throat. Congratulations. You’ve probably made me a fucking orphan,” Autumn turned on Gabby with unexpected venom.

“Sorry, okay? So, guess what, I’m human! I fucked up! I meant well, though. I just ... fucked up. Wait, does this mean that...” Gabby read the news report, realized that her parents were killed in Spanish Harlem, turned very pale, and ran to the bathroom to throw up.

“I guess that was inevitable. I feel awful for her, but I can’t go easy on her just because she lost family. I lost family, too. I dare say that Xia lost family as well. Lots of people have lost family. We’re going to have to grow thicker hides. Then again, it’s enough lecturing for now. I don’t wish to beat a dead horse or kick a girl when she’s down,” I observed as I took my stuff and noticed Autumn sliding off her panties for some odd reason.

Just then, I heard a crash and looked out into the hallway, to find Xia (yes, I know, that was actually her family name) and Gabby colliding into each other as the latter left the restroom. Where Xia had been, I had no idea right at the moment. I just knew that she had been told of Shanghai’s fate somehow, judging from the stricken look on her face. I wasn’t prepared for what came next, as Xia suddenly dropped to her feet in front of me, to my utter surprise and confusion.

“What ... what are you doing, Xia?” I asked my roommate, only to find her kissing my bare feet.

“You ... me ... I must serve you, sir. I must. You can ... protect me. I cannot be student anymore. College is no more. I need protector. I need ... man. Please, sir. Please protect me. Please ... keep me as yours. You are the man I know best in dorm. I will be your concubine if you accept,” Xia further stunned me, having always seemed independent, distant even.

“What happened to your self-reliance, your independence, your devotion to work and studies ... and to your family?” I noted that many would object to this.

“Adam ... sir, that’s the past! My old life is over. My family is gone. My country is in ruins, just like yours, and I will probably never get to see it again. I need a new life, a new purpose, and a protector. That’s you. In my country, in the old days before Communism and such, if a woman became a concubine, she was safe. People wouldn’t harm her. She lived according to the will of her companion. This is what I need. This is also a way to still be Han, even as I live in America for the rest of my days ... or what is left of America, Adam. Please, sir ... Adam,” Xia pleaded desperately with me now, before I pulled her to her feet.

“Take off your clothes, then. You won’t need them as my concubine. I don’t like clothes on a concubine. Hell, truth be told, I never liked clothes on women. I just never had a choice in the matter. Now I do, at least with you. Come on, strip. Disrobe. Undress. Get naked like me,” I ordered Xia, which led to another surprise, as Autumn removed her tank top, leaving herself naked as well.

“Then ... may I ... be yours, too? Pretty please? She took away my previous choice. Who knows what he will do? I just know that I’ve found you ... and you seem like a very good Plan B, if you don’t mind my saying so. Oh, and Gabby, sorry if I was a bit harsh. Truth be told, you probably did Ryan a favor, since he’s not stuck with my dumbass mother anymore. Start fresh? Sorry that you lost your parents, by the way,” Autumn spoke to both of us after she undressed entirely.

“Sure, we can start over. Friends? I can’t say that I approve of you being Adam’s concubine here, given how much older he is, a full decade your senior, but I guess that those laws are going out the window. Proverbial babies with the bathwater. I’m not sure that those laws should cease to exist, but that’s a moot point, as Adam would say. What I want isn’t guiding things. That’s been rubbed in my face ad nauseum. You’re basically emancipated from your parents now, thanks to me. I guess that I can’t bitch too much about you turning to a father figure for protection, even if it means that you’re ... exploited and objectified. You’re free to make your own choices now, perhaps too soon, and that’s my fault. You get to deal with the consequences, too,” Gabby acknowledged now.

“Here, Gabby. Let’s make peace, too. I won’t ask you to be one of my women, either. You’re a free woman yourself, though I would like you to stay with us, if that’s not too much, for your sake and ours. I suspect that you’d be handy in a fight. I’m very sorry for your loss, by the way. Autumn, Xia, congratulations. You’re my wives now. Fuck concubinage. I’ve always wanted to be a polygamist and now I am one. Deal?” I offered both girls, only to have Hannah put her arms around my waist and squeeze me.

“What am I, chopped liver? Remember me, the one that you kept close all this time and comforted in the shower? You still want me, I can tell. Do I get to be the third Mrs. Adam Clarke?” Hannah confronted me.

“Hell, yeah! Absolutely, you’re mine. I never got your last name, but you’re Hannah Clarke from now on, as far as anyone who meets you is concerned. You know what that means, right?” I reminded her.

“Total nudity? I should be so lucky!” Hannah turned me around and kissed me on the mouth, “I’m already naked, so it just means not putting on any clothes.”

“Well, looks like you got your way, but I’m glad that you’re not forcing yourself on me. I’m also glad that you’re not trying to get rid of me. We’ve had our differences, but we’re still in the same rotten boat together. Looks like you’re going to be a busy guy, Mr. Family Man. At least you took them as wives, though. Not that it’s wrong to have sex outside of wedlock, but, well, especially with Xia, it looks a lot less like they’re your ... inferiors this way,” Gabby chattered a bit, I think to keep her mind off her dead parents.

“They’re not my inferiors. They’re my girls. Now and for life. So what if I haven’t been dating them for a bit and haven’t had a chance to develop feelings stronger than affection and lust? Marriages have been built on a lot less and these are rough times, akin to the Dark Ages. In these days, as in those, marriage is a practical institution, to keep social order. Concubinage, too, but my fantasy has always been polygamy, not concubinage, so it’s marriage instead. I’ve decided to go all out. No half measures. Full scale polygamy. As you said, nothing wrong with sex outside of marriage, but this is what I want, at least with them,” I told Gabby in front of the others, “Guess that you’re my witness and officiator, if it’s all the same to you.”

“Okay, then, we’re doing this now? Might as well. No reason to rush out just yet. Today, sure, but not necessarily this second. I am an ordained minister, believe it or not, but that’s online and my true faith, well, my mother’s faith, is Santeria. Catholicism, sure, but deep down, it’s Santeria, a religion far older than Christianity. I never put much stock in it, but then again, this world is stranger than I even thought. So maybe there is something to all that.

“Oddly enough, until this, I was an atheist at heart, but I was ordained in order to wed some of my ... well, my gay and lesbian friends who might have trouble getting married otherwise. That was my motive. Never thought that I’d use it to unite a man with three wives, one of them a foreign exchange student and the other two being teenage girls. So, here it goes. Let’s get this over with now, shall we?” Gabby urged us.

I stood there, in the hallway, with our belongings leaning against the walls, as Xia took my left hand, Autumn my right, and Hannah took the free hand from each. Gabby stood in the middle, turning back and forth to face each of us as she began the brief wedding ceremony ... very brief. It had to be quick, because we were about to skip town, if we could. I could tell that was on everyone’s mind, plain as day. There was just no reason to stay here, in the dorms, though it occurred me that we should raid the cafeteria before we departed, if someone else hadn’t already done so. Maybe they would join us ... or we them, in a pinch.

“Do you, Adam Clarke, take these ... ladies to be your lawfully wedded wives, to have and to hold from this day forward, to love, cherish, and protect, for better or worse, for rich or for poor, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?” Gabby looked me first, clearly wanting me to take the big risk to show that I meant business, that this wasn’t a gag or joke or game for me.

“I do,” I simply smiled as I looked at my harem ... yeah, a man could easily commit to this ... if not, he was a damn fool.

“Do you, ladies, take this man, Adam Clarke, to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, to love...,” Gabby evidently struggled with the next part for feminist reasons.

“Honor and obey,” Xia threw in, making it clear that she meant it.

“ ... honor and obey, for better or worse, for rich or for poor, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?” Gabby finished up, thanks to Xia’s considerate help.

“I do!” Xia exclaimed as she looked triumphantly at me.

“I do,” Hannah smiled from ear to ear, playing with her golden curls.

“I do,” Autumn blushed, her eyes dancing as she licked her lips in anticipation of our wedding night.

“Then by ... the power vested in me by ... well, your mutual consent, I now pronounce you man and wives. You may kiss your brides, Adam,” Gabby fought the urge to giggle for some reason.

“What’s so funny?” I asked as I kissed first Hannah, then Xia, and finally Autumn, each of them proving their enthusiasm for this by slipping me some tongue.

“Well, your name. You’re ... Adam. They’re your Eves, I guess. Does that make me Lilith?” Gabby actually joked, showing that she hoped to use humor to cope with the reality of losing her family.

“I never much cared for the Genesis story myself. For one thing, Jehovah proved that he doesn’t like vegetarians or farmers, just likes shepherds. Shouldn’t he be God to both meat eaters and vegetarians, shepherds and farmers, not to mention hunter-gatherers? Also, evidently, the penalty for accidentally killing your brother in a fight is exile and a mark on you. No thanks. The context makes it clear that Cain and Abel both fought each other, and it could have just as easily been Abel killing Cain as the reverse. Would Jehovah have banished Abel in that case? It wasn’t murder. It was just manslaughter, that’s all.

“Also, evidently, it’s okay to be naked until you know that you’re naked. What’s that about? And knowledge of good and evil is a bad thing? Is that because without it, you would just blindly obey Jehovah’s command to slaughter people without a single prick on your conscience? I call bullshit on whoever wrote Genesis, and I doubt that it was Moses.

“It’s a myth, but even if you suspend disbelief for a bit and actually buy into it, well, Jehovah doesn’t come out smelling like roses. He comes across as a butcher and a tyrant, if you ask me. Adam and Eve sin, so a poor animal has to be slaughtered just for its hide? No wonder bison were wasted, when that’s the white man’s example!” I waxed a bit indignant as I thought of that nice piece of Abrahamic mythology.

“So, deep inside that rough, right-wing exterior, we have a literary critic and a progressive after all!” Gabby laughed now, actually becoming more pleasant to be around.

“I never claimed to be a Republican, Gabby. Yes, I’m a veteran, and yes, I’m suspicious of identity politics and postmodern feminism, but I’m no conservative, Christian or libertarian stripe. I’m an old fashioned, JFK type liberal Democrat, with some Harry Truman thrown in for fun, but also a dose of Bernie Sanders. I’m a patriot, but a progressive one.

“All for civil rights, not so much for some of the movements that branched out from that. I’m a big fan of LGBT rights, too, though. And, to further shock you, since I know that you probably expected otherwise, I fully support a woman’s right to choose when it comes to contraception and abortion. All of that’s moot now, anyway. New nations will probably rise from the ashes of America and other, collapsed countries. Successor states, if you will. We’ll have to find a brand new spectrum for the politics to follow, assuming that any of us even live that long,” I said as I gathered my share of the luggage.

“Just as long as it’s not the Confederacy again. No more of that slavery bullshit!” Gabby sneered as she took her bags.

“You might not believe this, but I agree with you about that. Like I said, I’m a patriot. The South seceded under a cloak of states’ rights, but no serious historian believes that crap. Any, even cursory examination of the ordinances of secession reveals to the reader that the whole motive was that they didn’t believe Lincoln’s promise to keep slavery where it existed, and that even if they did, they would still oppose being in a Union that kept adding free states, letting them be outnumbered in Congress by free state Senators and Representatives. That’s between the fancy and eloquent lines of opposing centralized tyranny and preserving their way of life.

“Their way of life! Ha! Slavery WAS their way of life, so it deserved to be tossed aside! I’m glad that the Union Army crushed their asses in the end. The Confederacy deserved to lose,” I added as I winked at Hannah, blew a kiss at Autumn, and smiled at Xia.

“Yes, from what I read, the Southern soldiers were virtuous men, but their leaders sold them a bunch of lies and many of them came to regret the mistake of breaking away from the Union,” Xia commented for her part, “Just an outside perspective, of course. I know that I’m a foreigner here, but...”

“No, no, no! You’re not a foreigner. There is no USA anymore, much as I was a patriot and I have a hard time remembering it. The old United States and its citizenship no longer exist. There are no nations, no laws, no constitutions, no governments ... no more. This isn’t America anymore. It’s time to accept that fact and move on. You’re only foreign in the sense of not being born here. So the fuck what! When the new nations are born, if that happens in our lifetime, which is a big if, I’ll make damn sure that you’re a citizen from the outset.

“That’s one idiocy that I won’t miss, that bullshit about immigrants vs. natives. Unless you’re indigenous, you’re descended from immigrants, anyway. Natives are the original Americans, the so-called American Indians. Everyone else is either an immigrant or a descendant of one, just like you. Nativism, xenophobia, immigrant bashing. I won’t miss any of that stupidity that Tom Tancredo, Joe Arpaio, and his ilk kept pushing in the recent past. I’ll give Rick Perry credit for at least not caving into that nativist garbage!

“Trust me ... Delan, or Xia, or whichever name you want to use now that you’re a Clarke, my dear wife, this is your land, too. You’re stranded here, I’m sure, as you told me. And we’ll find ways for you to still be Han, to whatever extent works with the new nationality to be created in the future. You don’t have to be a concubine to still be Han. You’re still Han, even if there is no China as such anymore. For one thing, perhaps you can teach our children Mandarin along with English, when they’re young and able to pick up languages that freely and easily,” I told my Chinese bride.

“How about ... Delan for my middle name? I know that Xia was my family name, you know that, too, but I’ll use it as what you Americans call your ‘given’ name. I will be Xia Delan Clarke. You can call me Xia or Delan, or Mrs. Clarke, or whatever, as long as...,” Xia’s smiled turned mischievous now.

“As long as what?” I asked, while the other girls listened and we headed out for the cafeteria.

“As long as you don’t call me late for dinner,” Xia brought out an admittedly old joke, but it was rather funny, given that we were all kind of hungry right then.

“Speaking of which, I think that we should grab some grub while there, if we can, and only then head out,” Autumn spoke up again.

“Yeah, my stomach is growling like crazy,” Hannah noted.

“Yes, and I hope to find some plantains. I’ve been craving them like mad of late. Maybe just homesick for Spanish Harlem and thinking of my family farm back in Puerto Rico, not far from San Juan. If I find some plantains, I’ll be sure to cook some up for a decent dessert for a change,” Gabby waxed surprisingly domestic, “What? Just because I’m a feminist doesn’t mean that I want to shift all of the cooking to men! I’m a damn good cook, if I might say so myself!”

“And I can do biscuits and gravy like nobody’s business! My mom used to call me ‘Elly May,’ because I’m a blonde hillbilly who can cook like nobody’s business. Okay, so my family are ... were rich hillbillies who could afford a trip to Lisbon, Portugal, but my point stands, because they were pretty practical and down-to-earth in spite of their wealth and privilege. They didn’t lose touch with their roots. Also, that’s rich by Mountaineer standards. It costs less to live in West Virginia,” Hannah snickered.

“Hey, I know how to cook up beans, greens, and cornbread myself. No self-respecting Mountaineer girl doesn’t know how to make that!” Autumn announced, earning a fist bump from Hannah, “Ryan loved my cornbread and my collard greens especially!”

“I’m better at pintos than Great Northerns, though I can do both,” Hannah replied.

“I’m very good at Great Northerns, just you watch!” Autumn stuck out her tongue, but playfully, at her sister-wife, making us all laugh a bit as we reached the cafeteria at last.

“I cook as well, but it’s, well, it’s Chinese food ... real Chinese food, though I can adapt it to here, too, if Panda Express and all those buffets can,” Xia spoke mischievously, mocking Americanized Chinese food even while accepting its necessity.

“That’s a good, healthy mix up. I’m a native West Virginian myself, though my mother is from Ohio ... or was from Ohio, I should say. My Aunt Selah raised us in Clarksburg and I have or had uncles in Huntington and Wheeling. I’m not sure how many of them are still alive. Hard to say. West Virginia is a rugged place with hardy, sturdy folk, though. Could be that they’ll hang on long after many others have left, but that’s not necessarily us. We can go wherever we wish,” I noted.

“Except Spanish Harlem or any other part of New York City. Or DC. Or Chicago, for instance. Or LA. All of those communities, those cities, gone forever. My poor parents ... I’m an orphan now,” Gabby recalled.

“I’m an orphan, too, now,” Xia reminded her.

“And so am I,” Hannah added.

“And I could well be,” I pointed out.

“I might be soon,” Autumn spoke her mind.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.