The Picard Manoeuvre - Cover

The Picard Manoeuvre

Copyright© 2017 by Tedbiker

Chapter 5

Poor Anya had to keep waking through the night and, in all honesty, just wouldn’t have got much pleasure from sex. But she did appreciate being cuddled. I wasn’t deprived – I still had Romy, though we limited that to when we wouldn’t disturb my wife. Anya was happy with that situation and reassured me I wasn’t ‘cheating’.

“Darling, you were hers before you were mine, and I love her just as much as you do. I’m glad we have her.”

At the time, I didn’t know how Gladys and Scott had got along. I did like the idea of locally brewed beer, and went to see James to talk about it.

“Absolutely, Hex. I’d rather have people drinking beer than spirits, actually. What would you suggest?”

“That Sergeant ... Gladys Everest. She seemed to know what she was talking about. I don’t know who else might have a clue.”

“Sergeant Everest...” he fiddled for a few moments with his computer interface. “Ah. Her enlistment ends in a couple of weeks. I wonder where that leaves us? Andromeda?”

One of the default avatars materialised in the office. “James?”

“Could you contact Sergeant Gladys Everest for us? Ask her to come to the office?”

“Certainly ... she will be here in ... fifteen minutes. I could cut that by a minute or two by sending a car?”

“No, thanks. There’s no great rush. Is there anything else just now?”

“Commander Banks with the Sigma transport made transit into F-space about an hour ago. That was routine, so I didn’t make a point of reporting it.”

“Fine. But please make sure Commander Whitfield doesn’t leave this morning. He was due out today, wasn’t he?”

“Yes. But later.”

Gladys Everest reported to the office almost twenty minutes after the call. She was Immaculately turned out, and marched in, standing at attention in front of the desk.

“Sir! Sergeant Everest reporting as ordered, sir!”

“Stand easy, Sergeant. Relax, please.”

“Sir!” She adopted a position closer to ‘at ease’ than ‘stand easy’.

“Sergeant, I understand you’re something of an expert in brewing beer?”

“Sir? No, sir. Not an expert. My father liked to brew his own beer, so I know the basic process.”

“Tell me straight. Is there anyone you know of here who knows more?”

“No, sir. Not that I know of.”

“Right, then. I see your enlistment ends quite soon. Would you mind telling me your plans?”

“No, sir. Not at all. I don’t think I want to re-up. I might get transferred out and I like it here.”

“Well, that answers one question. Supposing you stay – what would your plans be?”

“I was hoping for a place in security as a civvy, sir.”

“Good enough. What I’d like you to do is ride with Commander Whitfield back to Earth and assemble the supplies you need for a pilot project. I’ll issue you with orders to that effect, and a pass, contract of employment, and so on, so that you’ll be okay to return if the trip is likely to take longer than your remaining time in the Marines.”

“Thank you, sir! Thank you, very much!”


“Good morning, Brigadier ... James, Hex.”

“Good morning, Ambassador,” we replied, almost in unison.

“Gentlemen, you are welcome to call me Takeshi, if you wish,” he smiled, “Taki, even.”

James sighed. “Ambassador ... Taki ... thank you. I expect I will get used to the informality in time.”

I smiled, shaking my head. “Thank you, Taki. You already know I prefer to be ‘Hex’ to my friends.”

He bowed stiffly from the waist. “Thank you, both of you.”

“Shall we have tea?” I raised an eyebrow at James and the Ambassador.

“That would be good,” the Ambassador replied with a smile.

“Romy?” She was, as usual, just a little behind and to my left.

“Certainly, Hex. Will you have coffee?”

“Not this time, thank you.”

“Ah, one of your Earth customs?”

“Indeed.”

The Ambassador’s china-doll geisha avatar appeared with a tray and proceeded to dispense green tea in small porcelain bowls, before kneeling next to him. We sipped. Green tea, especially as served in the Japanese style, is far from my favourite beverage, but that wasn’t the point.

“Well. Gentlemen ... Ma’am,” he glanced at Romy. “I expect my pilot gave you the basic result of our visit. Unfortunately it is not possible to remove the Admiral from his command, but I suspect he may find it difficult to get another when his term ends. The Council felt it appropriate to reconsider your,” he glanced at Romy again, “status within the Federation. Rather than an associate colony, you will, unless you object, become an independent full member.”

“What would that mean?” Romy inserted. Then after a very short pause, “Ah. I see.”

“I expect you do. However, I suspect James and Hex will need a briefing?”

“Yes, please,” I confirmed.

“Your status was complicated ... unusual ... before. I would be the UP Ambassador to Andromeda and would be resident here with a small staff. You would have to appoint an Ambassador to Earth and, preferably, to any other planets you have any dealings with, plus at least one representative to the UP Federation Council. This might present problems initially, in view of your small population. Military and security personnel would either be seconded to serve here or have the choice of transferring to your administration. You will need to issue passports and so on. That, in brief, is it. I’m not sure to whom I present my credentials...” he produced an elaborate folder.

I glanced at Romy, who smiled, and nodded. She spoke. “That would be me, Ambassador. Taki.”

He turned to the geisha kneeling next to him. “Miu, if you will?”

“Certainly, Ambassador.” She stood, accepted the package and bowed deeply, then turned to Romy, bowed deeply again, and held out the package, resting on both hands.

Romy inclined her head and accepted the proffered package. “Arigatō, Miu.” Then, looking at the Ambassador, “Taihen arigatō, Taishi.”

“Anata wa hijō ni kangei sa rete imasu, Andoromeda. Watashi o ukeirete itadaki arigatōgozaimasu.” (You are very welcome, Andromeda. Thank you for accepting me) “But I think we had better continue in English. You’ll have realised the situation has changed, of course.” He looked round at us. “This is no longer simply a colony. Andromeda is, as I say, an independent full member. This means that you will be responsible for the maintenance of the colony and supplies will have to be paid for.” He held up a hand. “This will not be a problem. There is no doubt that the matter transmission technology alone is well worth any costs that will be incurred in the next few years. However, there will be questions about citizenship, immigration, residence and so on.”

There certainly were.


“Brigadier...” James Abercromby looked up to see Romy with, for once, me behind her.

He stood. “Andromeda! What can I do for you?”

“I have a proposal for your consideration.”

I’m sure he detected my faint snigger.

“I’m all ears,” he said.

“You know we are becoming independent – autonomous. It’s rather sooner than anticipated – in fact it wasn’t part of the plan at all. But we need to formalise some arrangements.”

“I suppose we do.”

“One of which is your own position...”

Perhaps Brigadier Abercromby might be forgiven for not considering the implications of the move for himself. He was aware of a sinking sensation in his mid-section. “Oh...” Somehow, he was at a loss to come up with anything more coherent.

“Oh, don’t worry, Brigadier. There’s no question of wanting to get rid of you. It’s just that your current job title is no longer appropriate. The question is whether you would be willing to consider a change.”

He hesitated, but spoke, “Andromeda, I have become accustomed to this situation and have no wish to move on. What are you suggesting?”

“Are you willing to transfer from Exploration and Colonisation Command, and the United Planets Federation administration, and become a naturalised Andromedan citizen?”

“Gosh...” long pause. “what are we talking about?”

“I...” the hesitation was lengthy, at least in computer terms. “Brigadier, I would like you to take on the role of Chief of Security. I suppose it would be equivalent to a Minister of Defence, or Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, except, of course, we just don’t have the personnel commensurate with such a role when compared to an Earth polity. You would have all military, security and police functions in your control. The reason I want you to be an Andromedan citizen, rather than a representative of UPF, is that you would have some access to my own systems. You can probably understand that only Hex, so far, has my trust regarding some of my capabilities.”

“Andromeda, I’m humbled that you would consider me for this. May I consult my wife? If I am to commit to remaining here indefinitely, she must have a say.”

“Certainly! There’s no great rush. But it is something we need to settle fairly soon, don’t you think?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.