Return - Cover

Return

Copyright© 2017 by MichaelT65

Chapter 5

All week Jacky and I spent going around looking for answers. The hospital that Sarah left her last breath, the office where the baby was registered. There was no stone we did not turn. We asked everyone, the people who were employed there, even the once that left or retired, nothing. We went to see the private detective, went through everything with him. We did not find anything.

It was Friday evening, my mother-in-law was exhausted from running around all week. It was late in the afternoon we’d just finished with her accountant when I was driving her back home, we did not say one word for the whole hour back.

Stopping the car in her driveway, I turned towards her. I said. “Don’t worry something will unfold. Someone will remember something. It’s only a matter of time.”

Putting her hand on top mine, she said. “George I wish everyone was like you, Sarah was so right about you. Tomorrow is Saturday, we both need a break from all this, do something with your family.” She released my hand then got out of the car. Turning her head towards me, she said. “I’ve meant to tell you to use one of the car’s I have in the garage. They are just sitting there.”

“It’s ok this car is very sentimental as you know.”

It was still early, so I decided to go to see Father Petrou since meeting him with mum I haven’t had the chance to see him again. Spoke to him on the telephone but did not have the opportunity to go around to talk.

Parking the car in the churchyard, I was making my way to the front of the church. Walking along the path leading to the main door, I could hear shouting coming from inside. Rushing to the entrance I quickly opened the main door, standing in front of me was Father Petrou, opposite him a tall young man. Behind the young man, a couple of priests just standing there frozen from fear. The young man turned towards me. He angrily said. “Who the fuck are you!”

“Hello George, let me introduce you to Mario. He is the young man who broke the window a few days ago,” Father Petrou said.

“Don’t tell him my business bro!” The young man angrily said.

That is when I spoke. “First a good Christian does not swear in church. Secondly, you don’t call Father Petrou, bro. Know you seem to have a lot of anger inside you, why don’t you take that anger out on me.” Opening the door, directing him with my hand to the churchyard.

Father Petrou said. “Please don’t hurt him, George.”

I just winked back at him.

Mario removed his tracksuit top and just threw it on the floor. Started moving around flinging punches in the air yelling. “You are dead meat bro!”

“Whenever you are ready Tyson,” I replied.

With that comment, he hurled himself at me. He was trying to punch me, push me, basically do anything to hurt me. I moved around dodging him, occasionally blocking a punch with my shoulder. I let him carry on until he was out of breath, in the end, he went down on one knee holding his side.

Crouching next to him while I put my hand on his shoulder I said. “Are you calmer now, are you ready to talk to Father Petrou without getting angry.”

“Jesus Christ, don’t you get tired.” He replied.

“What was that all about Mario,” I said

“All I wanted was somewhere to sleep.”

“Is that what all that commotion was about, I think we can solve that problem. Come on let’s get you a bed for the night.”

He looked up at me with wide eyes he said. “Really.”

We both got up, I turned to Father Petrou. I said. “Is tomorrow morning ok to meet about the proposition I have for you.”

Smiling at me as he said. “Will see you in the morning after ten, I am free all day.”

Then he said. “Thank you.” With just the movement of his lips.

Turning to Mario, I said. Have you had something to eat? I know this place the food is great. Then we can arrange for you somewhere to sleep. Come on let’s go.” We started to make our way to my car.

The drive to my parent’s house was short, just around the corner from the church. Not much was said on the drive there. On getting out of the car, Mario just sat there staring out the window. “Come on Mario were here,” I said.

“Why are you doing this bro, I’m just a bum.”

“Let’s make a deal, come to have one meal with my family, at the end of the evening if you are still unsure I’ll take you wherever you want. One more thing enough of the bro, call me George.”

He smiled. Then said. “OK.”

On entering the house mum greeted Mario with open arms, one thing I forgot to warn him about was mum’s interrogation. She always wanted to know everything about people. I guess that is how she judged people. My sister with her two boys came around, we all sat down for a meal, mum made her speciality tonight, meatballs (Keftedes) everyone’s favourite. After eating, all the guys went to the living room. My sister’s boys asked dad if they could play a bit on their PlayStation on the big TV. Once they got the go-ahead, they got their console games to show Mario. A while later my sister and mum came as well with tea and biscuits. It was a long time for me to enjoy an evening with my family. My parent and sister just sat there watching the boys playing video games, enjoying themselves, Mario appreciating the company of my two nephews.

It was about 9 pm, my sister said to the boys. “Come on you two. It’s time to go you have Greek school tomorrow.” They protested about going to Greek school, but then again we did the same when we were their age. Just after they left, I told mum Mario, and I was going as well.

Grabbing my car keys, I said to Mario. “Ready to go?”

“Yes.” He replied.

I made a booking for Mario at the Marriott Cheshunt Hotel. On the drive there I asked him. “What do you want to do with your life.”

He looked out the car window as he answered. “What life, I have no life, I failed at school, I failed everyone. Even my parents hate me.”

The rest of the drive to the hotel we were silent.

On arriving at the hotel, at the front desk was a young lady. While check-in Mario, she explained everything that was needed to know. Even subscribed him to Marriott Rewards so he can get free wifi.

I put out my hand to handshake him, but instead, he embraced me with a hug, whispering in my ear. “Thank you very much for everything tonight.”

On releasing me, I said. “You have breakfast included with the room, that way in the morning you can have something to eat before you go. I’ll be meeting up with my old coach at 10 am. He lives nearby. I can come to the hotel. We can have breakfast together then go to see him. If you don’t have anything to do that is.”

“I would love that.” He replied.

I gave him a light punch on the shoulder. “I’ll be here at 9 am for breakfast be ready. Have a good night.” Waving my hand as I left.

“Good night and thank you again for everything.”

Next morning I arrived at the hotel a little late 10 am, approaching the front desk I said to the gentleman. “Can you call room 110 please.”

The receptionist dialled the room twice then put the receiver down. He said. “There is no answer sir let me try housekeeper the guest may have checked-out.” He spoke to someone on the telephone than came back to say. “They have checked-out of the room fifteen minutes ago.”

I said. “Thank you. Is it ok if I have a look in the restaurant, my friend may be having breakfast.”

“Be my guest.” He said.

Walking near the glass which separated the lobby with the restaurant glancing in the restaurant to see if he was sitting at one of the tables having breakfast. Thinking. “Why didn’t you ask mum if he could stay in the spare room.” Strolling to the entrance of the restaurant at the same time scanning all the tables, he wasn’t there. Turning to leave I saw him. He was sitting in the lobby by the fireplace just glaring into the flames.

With a feeling of relief, I walked up to him. He didn’t notice me until I spoke. “Hey, buddy sorry I was late.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.