Young Life of White Tiger - Cover

Young Life of White Tiger

Copyright© 2017 by Anthill Mob

Chapter 25 - State Champs Part 2

Chapter 25: State Champs Part 2

After getting a drink to quench my thirst, I went back to watching the other fights for future opponents.

The current champ went through his next round easily again, though once again he was so dominant that I couldn’t tell what his defense was like.

Apart from him, I hadn’t seen anyone with a good combined offense and defense; they were either all one or the other.

My next opponent was mainly a good defense, he had used counter strikes in his first bout to win, but against me, my defense while still attacking was good enough to stop his counters. I took time making my points, making sure I got a point or two while maintaining my defense was tricky, but maintaining balance was paramount in a fight like this.

By the end of the bout, I had managed not to get hit once, though a few had come close.

Once again I had to wait for the official’s to announce the scores to be sure, but yes, I won.

There had been fifty-four competitors to start with in our category, after preliminary rounds, which luckily I got a bye through, after my wins had put me into the last eight.

The champ in his next bout once again dominated, unless someone had a really good defense, his superior attack was going to overcome most opponents defense, however good they were. The last time I was near the officials table, I had spotted the round draw, which put me in the opposite side of the draw to the champ, so the only time I could meet him would be in the final.

If I got that far, the only advantage for me I could see was what my defensive training for the higher Dan belt had taught me against his type of offense.

I had only seen one other competitor with this type of defense, who could match his offense, I don’t know if he was in the right draw to meet the champ, but I really hoped so, that would give me the knowledge I would need to fight him, if he overcame that defensive guy.

My next bout was an easy one, I wasn’t how sure he had got as far as he had, and I went back to a defensive posture, using only counter strikes to gain the points I needed.

That got me into the semi-finals, one more win would guarantee me a medal in the tournament.

My wish did come true though, the mainly defensive guy met the champ in the other semifinal. It was a great bout, a truly offensive person, against the best defense I had seen so far.

I was also lucky in that in this semi-final was before mine, it gave me the chance to watch what I needed to do, in order to beat either of these guys if I managed to win my next bout that is.

The bout was great to watch, the champ did win, but only just, his offensive prowess did overcome the defensive best I had seen.

The good thing was, I had seen a few opportunities if I could meet the champ in the final.

My last bout before the final was different, I guessed my opponent, or more likely his instructor had been watching my fights like I had been watching the champs.

He didn’t attack without keeping a defensive balance and guard.

I had to change my strategy for this bout, I had to do something different, and without giving away all my secrets on my plans for the final if I won this bout.

I started using blocks and counter strikes in unison. This managed to overcome my opponents much superior strategy compared to my previous bouts. I had to give him credit though, apart from the champ, his ability to adapt his fighting style from his other bouts, to fighting me was impressive.

I looked up to my parents as I was awarded the bout, they had given up standing and clapping or cheering when I won, I think by now they expected me to win it all, no pressure then.

“Excuse me!” I turned back around, another older man, who I took to be another instructor, was standing there. “I have never seen a younger student as good as you, you just beat my student even after I gave him a strategy I thought would beat your defense, good luck in the final against last year’s champion, I am going to enjoy watching that fight more than any world championship in years.”

“Thank you Sir”

I was given ten minutes to rest before the final championship bout was to start. I got some water into my system to make sure I was hydrated, then just walked around, several people whispered good luck comments.

One surprise before the ten minutes were up was the champ, as he came across to meet me.

“Hello, I’m Patrick Fisher, I just wanted to say hi and good luck in the final.”

“Hi Patrick, my name is Jack Owens, good luck to you too.” I stuck out my hand which he shook, not even trying to crush my smaller hand in his own.

Once the ten minutes were up, we were called out onto the ring. We bowed to our referee and then each other. We were ready to fight. This final bout was to be two rounds of two minutes, this was going to be a hard bout, as I was going to be defensive for a much longer time, which meant I was likely to get hit at some point with his quality offense.

At the referee’s signal the bout started, my strategy for this fight was speed of movement in my defense. I needed to keep side stepping so I wasn’t forced into a corner. This would also make it hard for Patrick to use his combination attacks, I hoped, as I would no longer be where his second or third kick or punch was aimed.

As expected he came out fast, trying to surprise me straight from the start. I slipped sideways past his first kick, putting me on his blind side, I managed to get in quick and land a punch to his side before moving past him, as he spun to launch his next strike.

The biggest problem I had was he was very balanced while using his kick techniques, it was unlikely that I would be able to get inside his kicking range, since he could kick out again as I tried to move in.

The rest of the first thirty seconds of the bout was very cagey, he used single kicks to try and maneuver me into a poor defense position. He needed me backed into a corner, limiting me to the space I could use to avoid his attacks.

Obviously I did everything I could to avoid the corners of the ring, circling to the left and right, rather than back stepping. This was fine for avoiding these initial kicks, but I had to be aware of any follow up attacks, I had to make sure I wasn’t predictable in which way I moved, or he would send an attack where he knew I would end up.

Neither of us had landed another scoring point after that first punch I got in.

I was waiting for one of his preferred kicks to be thrown, as I had seen a scoring opportunity from watching his previous fights.

He liked to use a kick to his opponents’ thigh, as this would numb the limb, causing the defender to slow down and struggle to use that leg in offense or defense for a while.

What I had planned was a gamble, it could work really well, or I might find myself in all sorts of trouble after. But I was prepared to risk it, as the longer the fight lasted with the scoring so low, it would only take one combination from him to get through and I would be a lot of points suddenly behind.

So our bout continued for the next minute, he tried any number of single and combinations of offense, to attempt to break down my defense, but I kept up with my speed movements, stopping him from being able to pin me down.

Finally the attack I was waiting for was coming at me, a turning kick low to my thigh. In the split second I saw it coming, I planted both feet and then launched myself into the air. I kicked downwards onto his oncoming leg, using it to numb his own thigh, but more important propelling me much higher into the air, using the same leg I hooked it behind his head, catching him off guard and scoring.

If he reacted quickly I could now be in serious trouble. I was still in the air, but coming down fast, with no part of my body touching the floor I was static apart from my downwards movement. I needed to land and either continue my attack or get out of range quick, before he was able to counter.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.