Young Life of White Tiger
Chapter 7 - New Business

Copyright© 2017 by Anthill Mob

Chapter 7 - A New Business

Saturday I had my grass cutting chores to do, but I also had some business to conduct.

My Attorney, Andy Campbell, had decided that although he was happy to continue as my corporation attorney. Felt that it would be better that we had a local attorney available for personal business, things like the issues I had during the previous week.

He had already done some research into those available here when we first moved.

Now he had set up a meeting with an attorney by the name of Bill Durham. Bill had been part of a large corporate firm in the city but that hadn’t suited him. So he had moved out of the city and set up by himself, dealing with private matters rather than corporate dealings.

I would be a shock for him that is for sure. My parents decided that it was only right that I got to choose, since I would most likely be using the attorney more than they would.

We all turned up as his office, it was in a building which multiple companies used.

When checking which floor Bill’s office was on, I noticed that there was also a private eye, an accountant and a stockbroker with offices. When we got out of the elevator, we were in a shared communal reception. There were a number of women behind desks. We asked one to whom we should talk to about a prearranged meeting with Mr. Durham. She asked us to take a seat while she found out if he was ready to receive us.

I sat there for a few minutes, contemplating the plans I was thinking of implementing. This floor of people would be ideal for my needs, if they were competent that was.

Only a couple of minutes later we were shown into one of the offices.

The man behind the desk was quite young. Still in his twenties from what I could guess, he rose and shook Dad’s hand. He invited us all to sit down. He did give me a glance, as though he was surprised to find me included in this meeting.

Dad explained that we were looking for a local attorney. We had just moved to the area from the city. Our attorney there couldn’t spend the time travelling here, to deal with any minor requirements we might now have.

Mr. Durham seemed happy to have a new client, though I don’t think he understood the extent of our potential requirements.

I think this is where I shocked him, since I seen the other companies using the office area, I had been thinking about something I overheard between Mr. Voltaire and Mr. Danvers before we had our meeting with the school Principal.

“Mr. Durham, I noticed that there was a private eye on this floor. Do you know how good they are?” I asked.

Mr. Durham seemed shocked that I would barge into the conversation, but he collected himself in just a few seconds. “It is only a single PI and from what I gather Mr. Nash is well respected for the work he does.”

“Could you ask your secretary, if Mr. Nash is available for a meeting now?” I requested.

“I could, if that is what your parents want.” he responded.

“Mr. Durham, I don’t think we made ourselves quite clear at the outset. Although all three of us will be clients of yours, if Jack continues as he normally does, I believe you will do far more work for him than either his mother or I.” Dad informed him.

Mr. Durham sat there stunned for a little while, and then he reached for his phone. He put a call through to his secretary and requested Mr. Nash’s presence if he was available.

In just a few minutes, there was a knock on the door. A slightly older man, probably slightly older than dad, popped his head through the gap in the door.

“You wanted to see me Bill?” he enquired.

“Yes Graham. But it’s these people here who would like to talk to you, specifically Jack here.” Bill answered, indicating me.

Graham Nash gave me a lingering look as he entered the office.

“Mr. Nash, my name is Jack Owens. These are my parents Brian and Mary. I was wondering as you’re a private investigator, whether you checked out your fellow office occupants, when you all opened offices here?”

Mr. Nash gave Bill a sheepish look before nodding. Bill looked surprised initially before he chuckled under his breath.

“And I take it that as you’re still in occupancy, you didn’t find anything of concern.” I added.

“That’s right, although all of us are relatively new to private practices. Everyone has good references and no red flags showed up when I was looking into their backgrounds.” Mr. Nash agreed.

“Good, I believe I may need all of your services soon, but yours immediately.”

“OK what would you need me to look into.”

I needed to explain about the conversation I had overheard between Mr. Voltaire and Mr. Danvers. I had heard Mr Danvers saying if things didn’t go his way, then the money for the school might not be as much from now on. “I was wondering if you could look into getting confirmation of what was inferred. I took it to mean donations to the school in some capacity, rather than a bribe directly for Mr. Voltaire, but I would like to know for sure.”

“Well I can tell you already what the answer would be. Normally I wouldn’t divulge information which I obtained for someone else, but this is such common knowledge I have no problem telling you. You’re spot on in your deductions. Mr. Danvers has been a consistent contributor to the school’s boosters club, well that is since his son started attending.” Mr. Nash confirmed.

“Great, thank you Mr. Nash. That will simplify and speed up plans now I have that information. Would you agree to a retainer of $10,000 every six months, to be ready to take on any other investigations I might require? I promise you that I will not ask you to do anything illegal to obtain the information I might require.”

“$10,000 every six months, did I hear that correct!” he stuttered.

“That’s right you heard correctly.” I agreed.

“You’re OK with this.” he asked my parents.

“It’s his money Mr. Nash.” Dad confirmed for him.

“Deal. I think I might enjoy doing work for you Jack.”

“I hope so to Mr. Nash, is it ok to call you Graham, I know I am a lot younger than you, but it would make future conversations easier.”

“Sure I can handle that, as long as I can call you Jack.” he replied, so I smiled and nodded.

Graham then gave each of us a sketchy wave and left the office.

“Mr. Durham, may I call you Bill too?” he nodded, “Good, can I offer you the same deal, but for a $25,000 retainer and your normal fees anytime I need your services on top of that.”

You could hear Bill gulp, “Yes Jack that would be acceptable to me.” he answered with a smile.

“Good you’re hired, now I want you to write up a contract for yourself and Graham. I hope to retain the services of the accountant and stockbroker also.

I will talk to the stockbroker first, before I come back to you about a separate contract for that part of my plan.”

“Fine I will get them written up and sent to you as soon as I can.” Bill replied.

“Now can you and Graham, do some work for me immediately?” I said.

“If you give me a dollar, then yes.” I dug into my pockets but couldn’t find a single dime. Mom dug one out of her purse which she handed to me which I passed over. “Fine by law you have now become my client.”

“Great, well I want to find out all I can about the booster club. I want to know its normal contributors and the usual amounts pledged. The reason being is I am guessing Mr. Danvers will most likely not be contributing for a while now. So I would like to make up the shortfall but with some conditions attached, if that is allowed.”

“That sounds feasible, interesting to, what conditions?” Bill asked.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.