Young Life of White Tiger - Cover

Young Life of White Tiger

Copyright© 2017 by Anthill Mob

Chapter 6 - A Deal with the DEA

Saturday morning, while we were all sitting in the kitchen eating breakfast. A call came through on the house phone.

Dad answered, he grunted a couple of times, said yes a couple of times and laughed twice as well.

We didn’t have a clue as to who the caller could be. Dad didn’t say anything as he sat down and resumed eating his cereal.

“Brian Owen, who was that on the phone?” Mom demanded in her ‘Mom tone’.

Anytime Mom used that tone of voice I cringed, I think dad did too.

“Oh that was just Stan. He just wanted to let Jack know about a potential deal, for another wreck if he was interested.”

That piqued my interest immensely.

I had plans now for the jeep in the barn, it was nice, but I wanted to give it to the mechanical shop class at school. It was also a soft-top, and although it would be nice in the summer to drive, I had decided I would prefer a hard-top type jeep instead.

I had mentioned this to Stan, and asked that he keep a lookout for something I might like along those lines.

“OK Brian. You can see you have got Jack excited. How about giving us some more information?” mum suggested.

“Seems that there is going to be an auction today off Hwy 82, just outside of Albany. He wants us to pick him up and take him, so he can look over some of the potential bargains to be had. If Jack happens to like this wreck that he was told about, then we might be doing some buying ourselves.”

Half an hour later, we were loaded up in Dad’s Ford F-150 heading for Stan’s lot. When we arrived Mom jumped into the back despite Stan’s protests, leaving him to sit up front with dad.

Dad headed off for Albany as per Stan’s instructions. I was only able to last about ten minutes into the journey while the adults talked about trivialities. But I felt I was going to burst with anticipation, so I caved. “So Stan, what is this wreck you think I might be interested in.” I called out.

Stan just laughed his big belly laugh, “Little impatient aren’t we Jack.”

“Sorry.”

He laughed again, “I can understand that. I am pretty excited about some of the deals I might get. Alright there is a Range Rover that was impounded by the DEA. They got hold of it in a drug bust. There was a car chase, the druggies left the road and hit something. I don’t know the extent of the external damage, but I do know that the interior is a mess, as they took it apart looking for hidden stashes.”

“Range Rover, I don’t recall coming across one of those before.” I commented.

“They are a UK high-tech cross between a SUV and an off-roader.” Stan explained, “That’s all I know about it, so you will just have to wait like the rest of us, until we get there to have a look at it.”

“Stan, what sort of auction is this, if the DEA is involved?” Dad asked.

“Oh it’s a special auction on police and agency impounded vehicles, which have been taken in busts. I know a guy at the auction house who gives me a call when these special ones come around. The state just wants to move these vehicles out of their impound yard, so they will take any reasonable offer.”

An hour later after getting to Albany, we turned down Hwy 82 for a while. Stan pointed out the place we wanted, so Dad pulled into the lot and parked.

There were a number of cars in the parking area, which Stan looked at with resignation, “Looks like everyone knows about the deals available today.” he grumped.

We walked around to the back of the auction houses, where all the cars to be sold were parked.

There were a whole multitude of vehicles. You could tell the auction house had done their best to clean up the cars to make them look their best. But for some that just meant they looked like clean rubbish, instead of just rubbish.

Stan went off to look at some of the vehicles he was interested in, leaving us to work out where this Range Rover was. From Stan’s description, he knew it was big and had been damaged. But looking around the lot, nothing here really matched the description. I did notice two other vehicles though, while we were looking around.

There was a Harley Davison which looked alright, plus there was a gleaming blue Ford Explorer which I thought would be ideal for Mom. As we walked past, I nudged Dad, and with my head indicated the SUV. Dad gave me a strange look. He couldn’t work out why I would be interested in an SUV. While Mom was still distracted and not paying us any attention to us, I mouthed ‘for Mom’. Dad’s eyebrows shot up, but he did look back at the Ford with a calculating look.

Not having any success locating the Range Rover, I spotted a guy in overalls with the auction house name on the back.

I walked over and inquired about the location of the wreck I was told about. He laughed, told me it was on a trailer just round the corner. He told me they couldn’t have a wreck put by the rest of the ready to sell cars.

With a definite lead, I walked off in the direction he indicated, leaving Mom and Dad behind.

When I got round the corner I gasped, this thing was huge, it was about the same length as Dad’s Ford, but it looked like a SUV.

It was a glossy metallic black color. I was approaching it from the worst viewing angle. The front right wheel was bent under the bodywork, which also had been damaged when the wheel went under the car. What was worse though was when I climbed on the trailer so I could look inside.

The DEA had obviously not wanted to take time finding any stashes. Instead of what you see on Crime Drama style TV programs, they hadn’t taken the interior out and undone seams to check. No the seats had big slashes through them, with all the stuffing hanging out. The dash looked OK, but the headliner had also been torn apart.

Even so, it was a good looking vehicle. If I could buy it and get it road worthy again, it would be an eye catcher that was for sure.

Another guy came round the corner, looked over the Range Rover while I was still admiring it. He looked disgusted with the interior. When he had finished his inspection, he glanced over at me. I looked my age so he discounted me, but he did leave me with a parting comment. “I pity whoever gets saddled with this UK trash. Who wants a right handed drive vehicle. What with all the damage, I doubt anyone will bid on this monstrosity.”

That pleased me no end. If that was what another buyer thought, I might really be able to buy it for a song.

I left to find my parents. They had linked back up with Stan, looking at a car he was interested in. I explained what I had found and told them what the other buyer had mentioned. Stan smirked at me, “Jack don’t take his words as gospel. He might actually be really interested, but doesn’t want any of the other buyers knowing that, it could put up the price.” he explained.

We went around the rest of the available cars, looking at what was available till the auction was meant to start at noon.

A half hour before the auction was to start, Stan led us into the auction amphitheater. This is where the bidding would be done. Only Stan as a recognized trader would be allowed to bid, but he could buy on our behalf.

While no one was looking, I mentioned the Ford Explorer to Dad, asking his opinion.

He leaned over to whisper to me, “I think it would be ideal for your Mom, but that is a good looking vehicle. I doubt we could get it for a price I can afford.”

“But Dad, you have more than enough money.” I responded.

“No Jack, you have a lot of money. Your Mom and I won’t take your money to buy a car.” Dad retorted.

“That’s not what I meant Dad, remember when we set out, you took a fee for every transaction you made for me. When I took over A.I.S. I got Andy to set up a separate company. I transferred those fees into that company, investing them on occasion in solid stock deals. I haven’t asked Andy for the company valuation recently. But the last time I did, after taxes were deducted, there was just over two million dollars in funds. You and Mom are the sole owners, with Andy and myself as directors. So you definitely have the funds if you want them, Andy could do a direct transfer over the phone if you want to buy something.”

“Jesus Jack, you really are a marvel you know that, I had forgotten all about that original agreement.” Dad’s exclamation hadn’t been quiet, and Mom was looking at us with her eyebrows raised.

Dad stood up, grabbed Moms hand and practically dragged her back out of the Auction House. I moved over to take Mom’s place, leaving a two seat space between Stan and me.

Then I had a thought. Now while most of the seats were empty, it would be the best time to talk through with Stan, what I was prepared to pay for the Range Rover. Also I would like him to bid on the Harley for me. After clearing up those details, Stan asked where my parents were, I informed him they could be interested in bidding on the Explorer also.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.