Young Life of White Tiger - Cover

Young Life of White Tiger

Copyright© 2017 by Anthill Mob

Chapter 5 - Making your Mark

When I got up on Friday I felt really good, I had a shower and prepared for school.

It would be interesting today, seeing what the rumor mills might be saying after details from last night’s meeting got out.

When I got to the bus point, Chloe came up to me.

“Jack, look Rory told me what happened on Monday. I’m sorry that you got into so much trouble after what happened between me and Danvers.”

“Don’t worry about it Chloe. Things have been worked out, the Principal saw the recorded camera footage of what happened, so has removed the suspension from my record.”

“Has he. Oh thank goodness, I felt so bad that I might have been the cause of your troubles.”

“It wasn’t you Chloe. It was all Danvers fault, but it’s all settled now.”

The school bus arrived then. I was happy about that, since Chloe left me to join one of her friends on the bus. That stopped her from continuing the conversation. I was glad that she knew what had happened, but was embarrassed about her apology.

There was a surprise waiting for everyone when the bus got to school. Andy Jenks, the varsity quarterback and captain of the team, was sitting on a wall like he was waiting for someone on the bus.

Remembering the warning that Rory gave me, I used the bus windows to check the surrounding area. I couldn’t see any other jocks, so I doubted that Andy was waiting to ambush me. Relaxing all my muscles, which had tensed at the possibility of a fight, I took some deep breaths to slow my heart back down. I grabbed my backpack and followed the rest of the students departing the bus.

Imagine my surprise, when the person Andy was waiting for actually was me. He called out my name as he spotted me among the crowd.

“Owens! You got a minute to talk?”

“Um sure Andy.” I focused my senses in case this actually was an attack, and approached Andy.

“Let’s head somewhere we won’t be overheard.” Uh oh, I didn’t like the sound of that. Even so I cautiously follow Andy away from the others getting off the bus. We didn’t head anywhere sinister, just a different school entrance which would keep us away from anyone trying to listen in.

“Rory told me about what actually happened Monday, and the rumors are what Danvers initiated. Like Rory I think Danvers is an egotistical dick, but he has some friends on the team. If I just try to warn them off you, they probably won’t listen, so I have another solution which I think they will go for. You just might not like my suggestion though.”

“I’m listening, what’s your idea?

“I saw you at the Kung Fu studio in town. I have been training there for eighteen months, if you are willing, I will fight you in a match at the studio tonight. If I win, well I will let the football players know that I have evened the score. If you can win, I will tell them that you beat me, and that I will be honour bound to assist you if any others on the team try and take you on. That’s my proposal. If you’re game enough to go on one v one against me, then this will all be over.”

“Tonight at the Kung Fu studio right, alright I will be there.”

“Good move, brave one too.” Andy stated, he then gave me a nod and walked off.

Strange isn’t it. Although Andy had made sure that no-one could overhear our conversation. And I doubt either of us had told anyone about what had been proposed, it still seemed half the school was aware of the pending fight tonight.

Another interesting rumor going around today was that Mr. Voltaire wasn’t in. The rumors weren’t stating that he was ill or anything like that, no the rumour was that he had been suspended.

Confirmation that there definitely were rumors about the fight, was when Rory found me at lunch.

“Hey man, look I thought by going to Jenks that I could get the seniors to back off. I never thought that he would make it a match fight between the two of you. Look, he has been doing Kung Fu lessons for a couple of years now. Plus he is older and bigger than you are, it would be no disgrace to forfeit the fight.” Rory explained.

“Rory don’t worry so much, Andy explained the reason for the one on one sparring match. I agreed it gave me the best chance in a fair fight, rather than being set upon by a group of jocks.”

“Fair fight. You have to be joking don’t you Jack, you could get seriously hurt.”

“Nah, it is an officiated fight, neither of us should get seriously hurt. How do you know I won’t win though huh.” I laughed.

“Come on Jack be serious. I’m worried I might have got you into something really bad.”

“Rory tell you what. If you’re so worried about it, why don’t you come with me tonight to see what happens.”

“Yeah right, once your parents know what is about to happen they will kill me.”

“I think you will be surprised at my parent’s reaction actually. Please Rory I want you to come to support me.”

“Alright, I got you into this. The least I can do is watch you fight, win or lose.”

“Ok lessons start at six, so come round at five thirty.”

“Fine.”

The rest of the day, I was on the receiving end of lots of looks. Some were sympathetic, others astonished, but most were disapproving. That didn’t bother me, I was actually looking forward to the fight. It would be the first competitive fight I will have had since my trip to the Orient.

The first thing I had to do once I got home, actually it was the second. First was getting my Mom to agree to let me fight. The next was to pull out the special uniform I received from the Master Swift’s Wing Chun Kung Fuacademy. I didn’t want to disrespect the studio seniors, so instead of my black belt, I decided to wear just a purple sash instead.

Rory turned up as promised, though he seemed a little apprehensive about my parent’s reaction. They just laughed at him, which got him very confused.

My Dad had been easy to convince to let me fight. He had talked to my last Sensei, who knew how capable I was.

Andy Jenks was already at the Fung Fu studio talking to the Senior Sensei, I guess to get the ok for the match.

I approached, bowed low and in Mandarin greeted Master Onobi. Saying I wished to thank him for allowing me, another style of Kung Fu student, to participate in his studio, to satisfy a case of honor for those competing in the said match.

He gave me a penetrating stare, I watched his eyes as they took in the club motif on my uniform. He just smiled and nodded.

I waited behind the last line of students. The class started, the senior student ran the class through ten minutes of warm up techniques. I copied along to make sure I was good and warm also.

Once that was completed Master Onobi informed the students that they were going to be given a treat. To watch a match of two different styles of Kung Fu, pitted against one another.

Master Onobi would officiate the match. I put on my sparring equipment. Luckily it still fit reasonably well, I was given a blue band to tie around my arm. Jenks would be red.

We approached one of the match squares in the studio. Before we started Master Onobi went through the rules of the match.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.