Memories
Chapter 5

 

Over the course of the next couple of days, Candy and I moved back into the house we grew up in, although now we were sharing a room. There wasn’t quite enough space for us to put our stuff in. I had to move into the room the dresser from the second bedroom. We each had a dresser now and we shared the closet. It wasn’t full, meaning I needed to take her shopping, sooner or later.

We also shared the queen bed, as Mom asked us to turn on some music when we wanted to ‘Put Seabiscuit on the track’ to use her expression.

I found it invigorating to go into Dad’s work area and start painting again. I got my degree in Art Appreciation, and I had my schoolbooks at the ready. It seemed so very intimidating!

Within a month I was ready to have my first showing. Pat Lovell from a nearby art gallery, came by to see my work.

“Well, Steven – it seems that the talent went from your father directly into you. I’d love to show your work, are you sure you want to start selling it so soon?” Pat asked.

“Pat, my father left my mother rather well off, but I need to stake my own place in this field. What do you think these pieces could fetch in the world of fine art?”

He went from piece to piece, looking at them very closely then turned and said, “I would guess 40 to 50 each.”

“Man, I thought these were better than that...”

“$40 to 50 thousand each, Steven – I wouldn’t doubt if people who have your father’s work - wouldn’t want ‘something from the son!’ What’s under here?” he said approaching the magic canvass.

“Under there, it is an ‘Acrylic’ painting of ‘Jim Knox, ‘“ I said hoping it heard me under the cover.

I directed him to look at my father’s unfinished work, while the goings on hopefully occurred under the sheet. After Pat was thoroughly impressed, I took off the cover and a beautiful rendition of my Dad was there in living color.

“Wow, what a great picture of Jim – you must’ve done that from memory, I would think?” Pat questioned.

“Yes, Memories are the best place to paint from, Pat – So, when do you want to show my paintings?”

“I’ll give you a call, but I see it happening within ... the seven to ten days ... Is that all right with you?”

“Absolutely Pat, thanks a lot – I’ll set them aside.”

He left and Candy came in wrapping herself around me, and giving me a kiss. Mom walked in and asked, “How’d it go, ‘Biscuit?”

I explained to both of them and we all enjoyed the moment. Mom noticed the picture of Dad, and gave me a nice kiss.

“Watercolor, Jim and Marilyn on their wedding day,” she said.

We all stepped back and saw this start to develop and we watched it through to the end. Candy and I put our arms around each other as I heard Mom say, ‘Lock it!’


I got everything ready for the showing, with Candy helping me load them into the SUV. “I can hardly believe that you’re already showing pictures to be seen and possibly sold,” my little sister said.

“Well, you and Jugs inspire me to do great things,” I responded with a kiss. “The first couple of showings will draw people who knew Dad – my artwork needs to stand on its own, eventually, but from what Pat Lovell said – I could make a nice payday out of this, and help both of you out as well.”

“I’m staying home, kids – you two have fun and I’ll help you count the money when you get back,” Mom said cracking us all up. “Will Seabiscuit be running anytime soon?” She added.

I gave her a kiss to hold her over and I whispered, ‘Perhaps a trifecta?” and Candy and I left to go to the showroom. We got there early enough to take them all upstairs to where they were going to be showcased. Pat had a tech on a ladder to direct the lighting just so. An hour before people would be arriving - all preparation was done, and Pat poured us a small drink to settle our nerves.

Ten pictures, taking over a month to paint, were spread all through this wonderful space. People started to arrive - the sound of people began to permeate throughout the place. I wandered around, listening to what people were saying. I heard, “They look nothing like his father’s works, ‘ and ‘What a talent!’ inspiring me to feel so very good about myself.

Then I heard her – Danielle, her laugh was distinct as I turned and saw her with some poor slob. Candy walked and took my arm as we casually walked over to where ‘she’ was.

“Steven, I had no idea you were so talented,” she said turning to her gentleman friend. “Steven and I had a few years together, but we recently broke up, but we’re still friends – aren’t we, Steven?”

She knew I painted, and had incessantly asked me to paint her in the nude. She was beautiful but too clingy for my needs.

“Yes, that is right – this is Cassandra, we’re a couple now. Nice to see you’ve landed on your feet, Dani?” I said.

“Thanks Steven,” she said. I believe she was a little inebriated.

Candy and I walked over to where Pat was. He said, “What was all that about, Steven?”

“Well, to break up with her, I let her assume that my sister was my lover – she left me and I was hoping I’d never see her again. Do you know the gentleman she’s with – he looks familiar?”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.