19 October 2007 - Cover

19 October 2007

Copyright© 2017 by Mustang

Chapter 4

As the camera steadied on host Ken Morrison, commentator Mark Bailey, and commentator Jim Turner, they began to analyze the second period. Jim, once again, the period belonged to Brad Hayward. Is there no stopping this rookie sensation in his first OHL game?”

“He already has two hat tricks and two assists for eight points, and the third period has yet to be played. I don’t think even he was expecting a scoring output like this. Kingston knows one player doesn’t make a team, and they’ll have to find ways to contain him without paying the price in the penalty box.”

“What an incredible night this is for rookie Brad Hayward! If his three-goal performance in the first period was a new record, then surely his second three-goal output in the second frame must be another one,” Ken commented.

“Hayward seems to have the golden touch. It reminds me of the night Darryl Sittler of the Toronto Maple Leafs scored six goals and four assists for ten points in a game against Boston. Thirty years later, that record still stands,” Jim informed everyone.

 “Ken Morrison, I believe you have some statistics concerning Brad Hayward and the Falcons.”

“Yes, I do. Mark. It is indeed a record-setting night for young Brad Hayward. His three goals in the first period may not be a record, as other players have accomplished that feat, however, it is for a rookie and a rookie in his first CHL game.”

“His second hat trick is also a record for rookies. It ties the record for most goals ever in the OHL with six, set by Tony Tanti when Oshawa played Kitchener on January 18, 1981, and Colin Miller of the Niagara Falls Thunder against the North Bay Centennials on October 13, 1988.”

“Hayward now becomes only the tenth player in the CHL to score six goals in a game, and he still has another period to play. As a further footnote, seven goals in one game had been matched five times. The record for the most goals in one game is eight, set by three players, all from the QMJHL. Normand Aubin, Sorel, in 1979; Stephan Lebeau, Shawinigan, 1986; and Mathieu Benoit, Acadie-Bathurst Titan, in 1999.”

“And if you were wondering, the record for most points in one game is twelve, set by Andre Savard when he played for the Quebec Ramparts of the QMJHL. On February 5th, 1971, he had three goals and nine assists.”

“Further making history tonight for the Falcons, Jason Bennett and Sam Phillips become the first goalies on the same team to register an assist in the same game.”

“I’m sure we’ll be watching to see if Brad Hayward can come close to any further records,” Jim added as they broke for commercials. Â _________________________________________________________________

The Kingston coach, Kyle Green, reassured his players that although the score was high, all was not lost. Teams have overcome a five-goal deficit before winning a game. He emphasized to his forwards that they should support their D-men more in their zone to cut down on Belleville’s opportunities to score. He wanted his third line, his checking line, to be on the ice whenever Hayward was on.


Coach Stanton continued to stress defensive play in a high-scoring game. He emphasized that the players should thank both goalies because if it weren’t for them, the score could easily be reversed. As much as he wanted to praise Brad for his point total, there was a game to win.

“Don’t sit back and think a three goal lead is enough. Hell, I’ve seen a five- or six goal lead blown to lose a game. Forwards, remember to support your D-men. Kingston won’t go down without a fight. And if we score any more goals, keep the celebrations to a minimum. No team likes to lose by a high score, and taunting them by rubbing it in their faces will only make it worse next time. Remember, we’re playing them again tomorrow afternoon,” he cautioned.

Several of the players wondered what the record was for most goals by one player in a game. They patted Brad on the shoulder as if he were a good luck charm.

“How are you doing?” Jake asked as they shared several bananas and oranges for nourishment.

“I’m fucking exhausted! Most of the guys have ten games of experience so far, and I thought the exhibition games were tough!” Brad sighed.

“I knew you were a good player, Brad, but holy fuck man, I didn’t know you were this great! This is fucking unbelievable!” Jake commented.

“What can I say? I play with great teammates. I never expected a night like this either!” They touched water bottles.


Abby had been busy chatting with the family and texting Brad’s game to Britney and Amber. She took a few minutes to visit her dad and Vicky, several rows behind the Kingston bench. “I hope Brad and Pete don’t end up fighting,” she mentioned to her dad.

“Me too, or they’ll have both of us to answer too!” Vicky joked.

“I’m finding it awkward watching them play. I’m cheering for Pete, Brad, and Jake. You must be really proud of Brad,” Scott said, hugging her.

“I sure am, Daddy! I love Brad so much!” Abby noticed the teams returning to the ice and saw Pete passing by. “You’re having a good game, Pete! I love you!” She wasn’t afraid to yell at him. She kissed her parents and hurried back to her seat.


“Loyal Falcon fans, number 27, Brad Hayward, has set the CHL record for most goals in a game by a rookie at six!” Was proudly announced, and the fans applauded the news.

The third period began with a highly motivated and determined Frontenacs team. They proved it by scoring twice by the five-minute mark to make the score 8 to 7.

“Come on guys, we’re letting them back in the game!” Brad shouted to his teammates on the bench.

Brad could feel the difference in Kingston’s play when he was on the ice. Their forwards were on him as soon as he touched the puck. With a player checking him closely, he’d skate to another one. Though out of position, now two Frontenacs were on him, freeing up a Falcon player.

Several plays later, Brad gained the puck from a scrum and passed it back to Justin Long. Long quickly passed the puck to an open Lucas Lindquist, and he fired a slapshot that beat a screened Myers for a goal. The fans erupted at the goal light and the ref pointing into the net. They patted Lucas on the helmet for a great goal, then skated past the bench for glove taps.

The Falcons now led 9 to 7.

“Falcons goal, his eleventh of the season, scored by number 11, Lucas Lindquist1, Assists to number 2, Justin Long, and number 27, Brad Hayward, time 7:01!”

Abby and the family couldn’t believe the number of points Brad was accumulating. The fans were feeding off the high-scoring game and wanted more from their team. “We want ten! We want ten! We want ten!” The chant echoed.

A minute later, Tyler Reeves of Kingston broke in on a breakaway, and Sam stopped him with a miraculous save. Brad’s next time on the ice, he made sure to tell Sam how great his save was. The action was again going from end to end. His line was in the process of changing, and Jake had gone off, replaced by Chris Page.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.