19 October 2007
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2017 by Mustang

During the first intermission, the telecast crew reviewed the scoring plays of both teams and highlighted Brad’s three-goal effort. Jim noted that with two periods remaining, it could be a typically wild, high-scoring Junior A hockey game where the last shot wins. The shots on goal were seventeen to fifteen in favour of Kingston.

“What do you make of Brad Hayward’s appearance in his first game?” Mark asked Jim.

“Hayward has the advantage because no other teams have played against him to know his style. But I think tonight’s game will make the other OHL teams pay attention to him very quickly.”

The coaches of each team were analyzing the weaknesses of their teams that led to the goals against them. The trainer told Coach Stanton that Mark Adams might have suffered a cracked or broken toe and should sit out the remainder of the game and have his foot x-rayed.

“Coach, I’m not going to the hospital until the game is over!” Mark implored. The trainer said he could wait until the game was over for his visit to the hospital. Mark was instructed to shower, change, and sit with the other players in the stands. Coach Stanton would have to do line juggling to replace the injured player.


Dan and the family were thrilled with Brad’s three goals in the first period and were congratulated by the nearby fans. Men in the area took the opportunity to strike up conversations with Cathy, Diane, Brenda, or Abby. The girls didn’t miss out on the opportunity to have their sexy bodies viewed by hungry eyes.

The intermission contests were complete, and the ice was then cleaned for the second period. The rock music playing was interrupted by the Public Address announcer for the Falcons.

“Loyal fans of your Bellville Falcons, the Canadian Hockey League has confirmed that our very own Brad Hayward has set a new CHL record as the first rookie to score his first goal in his first game on a penalty shot!” The crowd erupted with appreciative cheers and applause.

“Also, Brad is the first rookie to ever score a hat-trick in the first period of his first game!” That announcement was rewarded with more thunderous applause.


The second period began, and Kingston came out playing hard, scoring two quick goals, with Peter assisting on the second one. The Frontenacs were building momentum against the weaker Falcons team. If a goal hadn’t been disallowed by the ref and confirmed as a no-goal by video review, the score would have been 6 to 3.

Coach Stanton, wanting to shake up the play of the team, changed goalies. “Jason, you’re not playing a bad game; your teammates are,” he reasoned, patting the shoulder of his seasoned goalie.

Come on, you guys, we’re letting Jason down! Let’s not do the same to Sam!” Brad tried to inspire his teammates.

During the telecast of the game, the cameras seemed to give more attention to Brad, whether he was on the ice or sitting on the bench between shifts.

Brad’s next time on the ice, he was paired with Derek Lambert at center and Randy King on the left wing. Their first rush down the ice, a nice three-way passing play, put the puck on Brad’s stick. He let go of a point-blank wrister labelled for the top right corner. Manning quickly snagged the puck in his glove, holding it high like a trophy for a face-off.

“Nice try, kid, but three is all you’re getting past me!” He tauntingly muttered from behind his mask, then batted the puck toward Brad’s skates.

“You shouldn’t predict that unless you can back it up with action!” Brad replied with the pointed finger of his glove.

“Hayward is definitely having fun tonight. You notice the mannerisms of Manning telling Hayward. You aren’t getting anymore past me,” Jim mentioned.

“There’s certainly quite a lot of gamesmanship going on between the two combatants,” Mark agreed.

On the ensuing face-off, Derek shuffled the puck to Brad. He fought hard against the other team’s winger and slipped the puck to Randy, who was slightly open to his left. Randy shot, and it deflected off the Kingston player’s skate and into the net.

“King scores for Belleville, cutting the lead to one!” Mark shouted. “The second period is barely minutes old, and we’ve had another three goals. You have to give the Falcons credit; they aren’t giving up against the stronger Frontenacs team.”

The fans cheered the much-needed goal. The players skated past their bench for the customary glove taps. The score was now Kingston 5 to 4.

The play began once more with the ref dropping the puck. “Falcons goal scored by number 18, Randy King, his third of the season. Assists to number 27, Brad Hayward, and number 12, Derek Lambert; time of the goal, 4:42!”

“Wow, that’s another point for Brad!” Abby remarked.


The game evolved into an epic battle as both teams traded shots on goal with end-to-end rushes. The crowd cheered every time a Falcon player delivered a thunderous body check to the opposing player. Kingston was pressuring the Falcons, and Sam’s attempt to ease the pressure by shooting the puck high off the glass failed and went into the stands.

Sam was called for a delay of game penalty, and the rules stated a player on the ice had to serve the penalty for the goalie. Before Coach Stanton could decide who to send to the penalty box, Brad skated to the open door.

“I figure I’ll be in here enough times during the season; I may as well introduce myself; I’m Brad,” he joked to the off-ice officials, offering a handshake.

Brad sat, took a drink of water, removed his helmet, wiped the sweat from his brow, and then cleaned his protective visor. “Come on guys, dig, dig!” He coached from the penalty box.

Kingston passed the puck from defenseman to winger and back, trying to free the extra man. Belleville kept most of the play to the outside as the clock ticked down the seconds remaining in the penalty.

“Oh, what a miraculous save made by Phillips, his best of the night!” Mark shouted as Sam’s goalie pad prevented a sure goal. Spurred on by Sam’s stellar play, the Falcons fought harder. Both teams had changed forty seconds prior on the fly, and the penalty was now in its last seconds.


Another line change was taking place as Sam noticed the clock tick from three to two seconds left in the penalty. Brad was ready for the penalty box door to spring open and free him. One second remained, and Sam stopped the puck behind his net and passed it quickly to Scott, who immediately hit a wide-open Brad with a perfect pass.

Caught on a bad line change, several of the Kingston players tried to intercept him before he could reach the net. Anticipating a hard check, he deaked right, missing the charge from their player. His right skate dug in hard, turning his angle left towards the goalie. A second player attempted to slash his stick, with Brad using his leg to shield the blow. His stick flexed and rebounded as he let go of a hard wrist shot.

Manning had been following the puck, and closing in so close to the net covered his glove side. As his momentum pushed him left, Brad’s shot cleared his right pad by mere inches and into the net. Brad continued left, seeing the puck enter the net and the ref pointing to confirm the goal. The fans erupted with resounding cheers at the fine effort of the team to kill a penalty, then immediately score an important goal.

Brad raised his arms in celebration, skating to his teammates and congratulating them. He looked briefly at Manning but didn’t make any mocking gestures.

Once again, Mark’s loud voice revealed his excitement. “Hayward scores on a great feed from defenceman Scott Warren and goaltender Sam Phillips, catching Kingston on a poorly timed line change, making the game tied again at 5!”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.