19 October 2007
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2017 by Mustang

Diane, Brenda, and Cathy stood, holding their posters. They hollered and cheered for Brad and Jake. Abby’s poster read #27. Brad Hayward I’m your #1 fan. Men in the rows behind them appreciated the short hemmed, low-cut dresses that all the women were wearing.


The public address announcer began. “Welcome to tonight’s game between the Kingston Frontenacs and your Belleville Falcons!”

“The starting lineups for tonight’s game are for Kingston, starting in goal, number 30, Chris Manning, right-wing number 25, Tyler Reeves, at center Matt Green number 19, on left wing number 18, Andy Jefferies. The defence pairings are number 5, Ben Patricks, and number 7, Rob Anderson!”

“And now for your Bellville Falcons! Starting in goal, number 30, Jason Bennett! On the right wing, number 11 Lucas Lindquist! Playing center, number 22, Joel Cross! On the left wing, number 33 Mitch Thompson! The starting defencemen are number 6, P.K. Subban, and number 17, Hans Mueller!” The Falcons announcer bellowed out. “And now welcome the rest of your Belleville Falcons!” The remainder of the team skated onto the ice, circled several times, then went to the player’s bench.

Dan, Karen, and Wendy stood cheering and applauding as Brad and Jake skated a few circles, then went to their bench. All it took was one comment from the nearby fans to know that Dan, Karen, and Wendy were the proud parents of the two players.

The players announced for the start of the game lined up side by side on their respective blue lines. Joel Cross looked behind their goalie and moved several feet to his left. The players, stood shoulder to shoulder as a psychological wall against the Frontenacs, seeing their goalie before the game started, an idea thought of by Brad from reading a sports article.

“Would everyone please stand if you are able, gentlemen please remove your hats, and welcome to tonight’s game to perform the National Anthem for the first time, Miss Abby Kendall!”

There were polite cheers and applause and several wolf whistles for her as she stepped from between the benches at center ice onto the red carpet. She, both teams and fans faced the Canadian flag flying proudly from the rafters above the Falcons’ end of the ice.

The camera panned closer to her standing tall, preparing to sing, showing her name for a moment to the TV audience. What she had borrowed from Rob St. Cyr was Brad’s away sweater. She had partially rolled up the sleeves, and the size, dwarfing her petite frame, couldn’t hide the obvious two bumps on her chest.

Scott, Vicky, and the Hayward family looked proudly at Abby. Pete’s usual routine during the anthems was replaced with love and awe as he watched his sister sing. Dan and Scott poised their cell phones to record Abby singing.

Brad stood nervously rocking side to side on his skates, facing the flag. He could feel the butterflies of excitement in his stomach for his hockey dream finally coming true, and remembering Abby’s words of meditation from doing yoga together, helped calm him.

He smiled, hearing that familiar sweet voice begin to sing, Oh Canada. Brad couldn’t help looking up at the giant screen above the center ice to see his love. He smiled and chuckled, seeing Abby wearing his hockey sweater. Her long brunette ponytail hung down between her shoulder blades, partially covering Hayward 27. The length of his sweater stopped just above her short skirt, accenting her slender legs.

Tingles of love and pride filled the families as they sang along, their gazes going from her to the giant screen and back. Abby finished on a high note to resounding cheers, applause, and more wolf whistles from the crowd. Not only did she look beautiful, but her voice was also so sharp and crystal clear. As she waved to the crowd, Brad and Pete banged their sticks against the boards, showing their appreciation.

She stepped off the ice and handed the mic to Ro. “That was really good, Abby. I think you’ll be singing again for us very soon.” She took off Brad’s sweater and hurried to join Brad’s family, receiving

many hugs and kisses of support for her performance.


“For those of you listening to the game on HNH radio, the Falcons will be playing the first period skating from left to right,” Mark said. All the players stood, leaning against the ledge of the boards, anticipating the start of the game.

The referee raised his right arm, looking at each goal judge, who flashed their red goal lights, then dropped the puck to begin the game.

The Kingston center, Matt Green, won the faceoff scramble, passing the puck to his defenseman, Ben Patricks. They rushed towards the Falcons’ blue line, with Patricks passing to winger Reeves. After being checked at the blue line, he dumped the puck into the Belleville end.

Brad and his teammates followed the play from their bench.

Falcons goalie Jason Bennett stopped the puck behind his net, passing it to his defenceman P.K. Subban. He was met by Andy Jefferies, Kingston’s left-winger, and battled for the puck with support from other players. Jefferies gained control of the puck, feeding it back to Rob Anderson on defence, then over to Patricks. He let a slap shot go, which Reeves deflected past Bennett for the first goal.

The Kingston players on the bench jumped, cheering for their first goal, and were led by Reeves for their customary glove taps. Forty-one seconds into the game, it was 1 to 0 for Kingston.

“That was a perfect deflection by Reeves to open the scoring,” Mark offered as the replays showed on TV and the giant screen.

“Kingston is nine and one when scoring the first goal. The Falcons are the opposite, one and nine when giving up the first goal,” Jim remarked.


The second line for each team took to the ice, and the ref dropped the puck at center ice to resume play.

Falcons center Dale Corbett won the face-off, and left winger Nick Upton battled Kingston’s Brandon Clark along the right boards. Nick rushed across the blue line, passing to Dale, who fed the puck to right-winger Mark Adams. He fired a shot on the net, which was stopped by Chris Manning.

He steered the puck to the right corner, where the Frontenacs gathered and led a rush up the ice. Right defenceman Kevin Elliot crossed center ice and dumped the puck at a cross-angle to the Falcons’ end. The defence and forwards battled for possession, with the Falcons breaking out on their rush. The home team was battling hard, trying to tie the score.

Kingston gained control of the puck at their blue line and made a three-way passing play back into Belleville’s end. Bennett made a great save, but the rebound caused a scramble in front of the net.

The puck was cleared back to left defenceman Bruce Gibson, who let a quick wrister go that caught the top right corner. The red light came on, and the Kingston players cheered for another goal. The score is 2 to 0 for Kingston at only the 1:47 mark.

Dale Corbett didn’t like a late hit that put him on the ice as the goal was scored, and no penalty was called. He stood and pushed their centerman twice, causing Will Carson to fall to the ice. The ref raised his arm, “21, Belleville, two for roughing,” and made the closed fist infraction sign.

“Oh man, this sucks! We’re down two to nothing, and we haven’t even stepped foot on the ice!” Brad complained to Jake.

Not only were the Falcons down 2 to 0 in the game, but they now had to kill off a penalty. The fans booed the goal and the penalty call against their Captain.

Mark commented as Dale was escorted by the linesman to the penalty box. “Dale Corbett took acceptation to the late hit on him and has now taken a penalty. The Falcons can ill afford to go down three goals to Kingston this early in the game, or it’ll be a long night ahead for them.”

“Kingston leads the League in power play goals with ten in ten games out of thirty-three opportunities,” Jim added.


Belleville’s penalty killers took to the ice for the ensuing face-off. The play began, and they formed a four-man protective box as Kingston set up their power play in the Falcons’ zone. The Falcons managed to keep the play to the outside, and P.K. Subban gained control of the puck, sending it into Kingston’s end.

The penalty killers came off for a line change, and the second unit took their place. The Frontenacs reformed their offensive positions in the Belleville end of the ice, passing the puck and trying to find an open player. Mark Adams took a slap shot off his right foot, going into immediate pain. Hans Mueller of the Falcons managed to clear the puck over their blue line, meaning the Frontenacs had to clear the Falcons’ zone.

The Falcons first penalty killers had only seconds of recovery time as Mark hobbled to the bench. “Hayward, go!” Coach Stanton quickly tapped his shoulder. Brad hopped over the boards, assuming his defensive position on their end of the ice.

“Look, look, Brad is on the ice!” Abby pointed.

Brad kept his stick active, trying to disrupt passes between the two Frontenacs defencemen. A pass was made to Tyler Reeves, and momentarily losing control, Justin Long battled him for possession. Kingston’s defenceman, Kevin Elliot, joined Reeves in battling for control of the puck along the boards near the faceoff circle.

Brad, mindful of his position and that of the other defenseman, drifted towards Justin to support him should the puck come loose. Justin banged at the puck several times, deflecting it off the boards. The puck slid over the blue line toward the center ice circle, and Brad gave chase. The other Kingston defenseman was in hot pursuit of him, along with the others on the ice.

Brad reached the puck first and used his left hand on his stick to push the puck ahead of him. His right side created a shield to protect the puck from the attacking player. He passed the far rim of the center ice circle, then the Kingston blue line. He placed his right hand on the shaft, preparing to shoot, and sensed the Kingston player closing in on him.

Mark Bailey’s sharp, clear voice described the play: “Long knocks the puck free, and Hayward gathers it up at center ice! Here comes Hayward with a step on Anderson as he crosses the blue line, looking for his opening!”

The cheers of the fans increased the closer Brad approached the goalie, and the players on both benches watched the action unfold.

He could feel the stick of the defenceman slapping against his pants and right shin pad, trying to distract him. He glanced to the goalie, looking for a possible opening, Manning preparing for Brad’s shot.

As he picked his spot and prepared to shoot, he felt a tug on his right forearm. The force pulled his hand from his stick, and the ref raised his arm, signalling a penalty. The puck slid off Brad’s stick to the goalie, and upon touching the puck, the ref whistled the play dead.

The fans and players watched intently as the ref lowered his arm, pointing to center ice.

Penalty shot!

Mark’s voice bellowed as he recited the ending of the play. “The referee has raised his arm and is pointing to center ice, indicating a penalty shot for Hayward! Hayward had one step too many on Anderson, and his high-risk move to force him off the puck has resulted in Hayward being awarded a penalty shot!”

The fans erupted in loud cheering and applause in anticipation, with everyone in the building standing for the important moment. Brad’s family also went crazy at his opportunity. Silently, Scott and Vicky cheered for Brad.

Brad skated to his bench for a quick drink as the linesman handed the puck to the ref. “Okay, guys, tell me again: what is the word on Manning?” He asked about the veteran Kingston goalie’s skills.

“He’s strong on the glove and blocker side!” One offered.

“He poke checks really well,” said another.

“He doesn’t give much of the five hole, either,” Jason added.

“Thanks a lot, guys. That tells me nothing.” Brad took another quick swig of water.


“Tell me, Jim, who has the greater advantage here, a goalie with several NHL games of experience or a rookie who no one has studied for his offensive moves?” Mark asked.

“I would have to give the nod to Manning. He’s faced numerous penalty shots and shootouts over his four-year career and built a high save percentage. But you can’t rule out the unknown; Manning hasn’t faced Hayward before.”


The ref blew his whistle, and Brad skated toward center ice. He looked at Dale, standing in the penalty box. Dale motioned with his left hand over his right shoulder, blocker side. Brad lifted his stick slightly, acknowledging his signal.

Brad stood nervously, his stick blade resting close to the puck, receiving instructions from the ref. “The puck must remain in motion at all times. If you try a spinarama, the puck must be moving. Rebounds do not count. The puck must completely cross the goal line.” The second ref cautioned the goalie that he couldn’t come out of his crease to defend until the player touched the puck.

“Go Brad Go! Go Brad Go! You can do it! You can score!” Abby yelled, trying to match the growing commotion. No one was sitting down.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.