Rendezvous II - Cover

Rendezvous II

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 20

Karen

Did I feel bad about it?

No!

But I did miss the adrenalin high.

I’ll be 18 soon ... and I’ve clung to it long enough. Hairy’s gone ... and if there was anyone in particular I’d wanted to lose it to ... it would be him. Now ... I don’t have to be so particular. Doesn’t mean I can’t be choosy. Second best is still pretty good.

Who do I know?

The first shadowy figure that came to mind ... leaning against a door with a coffee cup in his hand. Good lord, girl ... set your sights high why don’t ya?

So ... What the Hell ... I can ask. All he can say is no.

<Learn to fly.>

“Who’s there?”

<Me ... us ... them.>

Voices? Sleeping in the shop isn’t a good idea.

<The cabin is fine.>

“How do you know?”

<We know everything.>

“Prove it.”

<Oh ye of little faith.>

“The age of miracles is over.”

<Get in the Jeep and drive home.>

“There are trees down all over town.”

<You should see the county.>

I retrieved my Carhartt’s and my panties and a few other articles from the shop bathroom. I looked around and suddenly ... I knew I’d better use the facilities ... and right now!

When I seated myself in the jeep, I put the 1908.380 between my legs ... until I thought better. Maybe not such a good idea. I want to lose it ... but not quite like that.

<Go to the highway, get off at Fifth and take Soldier Creek home.>

“Why not through Ranchester?”

<The freeway is good, but you’ll never get out of Ranchester.>

“That bad?”

So ... the jeep started. Not like I was surprised ... old Reliable. US14 is also Brundage Lane. West on Brundage about a mile and turn left is the way to the College. I turned right at the ramp and jumped on Interstate 90 for about two miles and took the Visitor’s Center off ramp.

I had to take the Fifth Street off ramp. The Highway Patrol officer at the roadblock insisted on it.

Right is the Center but left is 5th and Soldier Creek.

I gotta tell you about the Visitor’s Center. It overlooks the entire town and has a clear view of the Big Horns. That’s pretty impressive, but even more impressive is the 3-D map in the middle of the window room.

The map is under a glass or plastic dome ... didn’t used to be, but kids and fingers.

That map is a pretty decent representation of what lies ahead if you’re driving to Cody and Yellowstone. More than one wife has ended their Yellowstone vacation in Sheridan.

“I am NOT going up that road!”

“Why not?”

“It’s tiny! It’s narrow! And on the edge of a drop off.” Here she would point out just how steep the drop off is. Like I said ... it’s 3-D and pretty big

“It’ll be safe, I’m driving.”

“Even better reason to just stay here!”

“It’ll be okay.”

“Have you looked at the pictures on the wall?”

“Umh ... no. Why?”

“The pictures are of cars and trucks in the canyon after going off the road.”


Why would that bother a housewife?

The average license plate on visiting cars are from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut ... Flatlanders. Places without mountains ... or residents of states who THINK they have mountains ... Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio. Even places like Tennessee and West Virginia.

And states that have no clue. Flat places like Oklahoma and Kansas.

Most of the vacationeers have been routed along General Eisenhower’s Highways ... Interstate 70, Interstate 80 or Interstate 90. If, and most of them are, they’re headed to see the wonders of Yellowstone National Park, they’ve ended up 0n I-90. They’ve been driving through states that are damn flat.

The first intimation that they’re getting into alien territory is when the kids ask if that’s Yellowstone. It’s not but it is mountains. At least it’s like the mountains they’re used to ... The Black Hills.

They cross the Wyoming border. It’s not exactly flat but close. About Sundance there rises a line of SNOW covered hills way off to the west. The land is getting bumpy but every time the car crests a hill ... there they are.

“Are we there yet?”

“Not yet.”

“Jees ... I gotta pee.”

Moorcroft slides by ... or the rest area gets several “resters.”

Off in the distance, the line of snow covered peaks stretches all the way across the windshield. They rise up, higher and higher with every passing mile. Gillette (don’t drink the water) is next.

“Are we there yet?”

“Not yet. Be quiet ... don’t wake your mom.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.