Rendezvous II - Cover

Rendezvous II

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 6

Hairy

We drove along in silence. I could feel her eyes on me. That she was nervous went without saying. I ignored her.

She wasn’t a beauty ... but she had a quiet loveliness that grows on you. Can you think of anything worse than ignoring a pretty girl?

Even though I hate Interstate travel, I stuck to 90 when I could and Old US 10 when I couldn’t. Livingston, Big Timber, Reed Point, Columbus, Park City, and Laurel, Montana went by with scarcely a look.

Billings is a sad town, but it is the turnoff to Sheridan. At Crow Agency we were forced onto US 87. We bypassed Lodge Grass. Just a few miles past Aberdeen, we took the long hill and crossed into Wyoming. At Ranchester I stopped at the Tongue River Valley Community Center, begged the phone and called the Kane Ranch.

“Mrs. Kane ... I’d like to speak to your husband if I might.”

“Yes, Ma’am ... I’d like to rent the old Stage Stop.”

“Yes, Ma’am ... one hundred a month ... no checks ... cash only on the First.”

“Do I need to talk to Mr. Kane?”

“Yes, Ma’am ... I’d like to pay two years in advance.”

“Yes, Ma’am... 2400 dollars. I’ll be right out.”

“Ranchester, Ma’am.”

“Yes, Ma’am ... on my way.”

I hung up and walked out to the RX-5. She was still there.

“I can’t keep calling you young lady.”

“Karen, my name is Karen Post. I’m 19.”

“I’m not buying that.”

“Would you consider 16?”

“That’s more like it. Listen, Karen. I’m going to be taking backroads to meet a lady, then I’ll be taking backroads into Sheridan.”

“So?”

“I need you to listen to me. It’s important.”

“Okay?”

“In 1876 ... in June the Sioux defeated Custer at the Battle of the Little Bighorn,” I said. “This is the centennial of that battle ... we just drove past it. Remember Garryowen?”

“Yes.”

“Garryowen is just a little south of the battlefield. There’s been a lot of Indians celebrating the event and I doubt you’d be safe if I let you out here. It’s a sad thing but they drink and drunk some of them get crazy. You can stay with me, you can start hitching from Sheridan, or I’ll put you on a bus.”

“You’ve been nothing but kind to me. I’d like to stay.”

“You sure?” I said. “I won’t pester you ... but you’ll have to go to school in the fall.”

“You want me in school?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll stay with you.”

Interesting.

We drove out Gillette Street, across the Tongue River bridge and out Wolf Creek. When we made the ess turn at the cabin, I pointed it out.

“That’s the old Stage Stop. We’ll be living there.”

Right turn off of Wolf Creek to Soldier Creek and on to the Kane Home Place. I ran up and almost got to knock but Mrs. Kane opened the door before I could.

I handed her twenty four hundred dollar.

“Who do I make the receipt out to?”

“Hairy Medicinewolf.”

“You don’t look like an Indian.”

“I’m not.”

“You understand you run no stock but you can keep two horses ... you have the use of the garage, the stable, the washhouse and the guest house?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“First thing you need to do is fix the fence. In the fall, we’ll be running 200 head of calves in the fields next to you. so make sure you keep the gate shut.”

“Yes, Ma’am. Can I put in a cattle guard?”

“At your expense?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.