1 September 2007 - Cover

1 September 2007

Copyright© 2017 by Mustang

Chapter 3

The game ended with the Falcons winning 5-1. Frank Stanton was concerned about Brad’s condition and immediately texted Dan, asking if there was any news and that he’d bring Jake with him to the hospital.

A moment later, there was a knock at his coach’s door. Frank, can I speak with you for a moment?” He looked up to see Kyle Green, coach of the Kingston Frontenacs.

He stepped into the office, followed by a sullen-looking Peter Kendall. “Frank I want to apologize on behalf of the Frontenacs for the actions of Kendall against Hayward.”

“The apology should be coming from him, not you, Kyle. I want you to know we’re sending a videotape of Kendall’s hit on Brad to the League Disciplinary Board and asking for him to be suspended.”

“I don’t blame you; I would do the same thing. I called our General Manager and told him what happened and why. We’ve now agreed, for internal reasons, to suspend Pete for five games in addition to whatever the League might give him.”

“Needless to say, I was rather upset to learn why Peter crosschecked Hayward into the boards, and it wasn’t just the heat of the moment in the game,” he said, looking at Peter. “Go ahead and tell him.”

“Miller, I mean Hayward, is dating my sister, and I don’t like it very much!” He admitted not making eye contact with Frank.

“We’ve seen Abby around here quite often. She and Brad make a nice-looking young couple. So because one of my players is fucking your sister, you just had to hit him hard enough to put him in the hospital?” Frank stated it firmly.

“I didn’t know the bench door wasn’t locked,” Pete defended.

“That’s no excuse,” Frank said.

“I know it isn’t,” he replied quietly, his gaze avoiding Frank’s glaring stare.

“Frank, this situation has also become a family matter that I have to deal with before it can get any worse. The team bus will be stopping by the hospital so I can offer my regrets and Peter can apologize to Hayward, his family, and his sister.”

“I’m heading there now with Jake Campbell. He and Brad are also very close friends.” Frank looked at the condition of Peter’s face. “The punches Jake landed on you are nothing compared to what your sister will do to you. I’ve seen Brad and Abby together quite often, and they’re more than just boyfriend and girlfriend.”


Dan and the family sat patiently waiting for any news on Brad. “Excuse me, I’m looking for the Hayward family.” A nurse announced.

“That’s us,” Karen quickly offered. The nurse came to them and explained that Brad’s first examination indicated he had either cracked or broken ribs and that he would be going for x-rays, then returned to the emergency area.

Moments later, Frank Stanton and Jake arrived, greeted by the family. “Is there any news concerning Brad’s condition?” They wanted to know.

“He’s gone for x-rays and has possible cracked or broken ribs,” Abby said.

Thanks, Jake, for taking on Pete,” Dan said, offering his hand to him.

“He would have done the same for me,” he replied.

Wendy hurried over to hug her son and look at the bruises forming on his cheek and swollen lip. The others thanked Jake and looked at the condition of his face.

Frank handed Dan a bag with the Falcons crest on it. “I brought you Brad’s clothes. The Kingston coach stopped by to see me after the game. He’s coming here with Kendall before the bus heads back home. We’re sending a copy of his hit on Brad to League officials, asking for a suspension. His reasoning for the hit on Brad is that Kendall doesn’t like Brad dating his sister and likely having sex with her. By the way, we won 5 to 1. Brad’s injury really inspired the team.”


A few minutes later, Scott and Vicky arrived at the hospital, anxious to find out about the seriousness of Brad’s condition. Scott felt hesitant to join the family group, expecting a confrontation with Dan. Had the actions of his son against Brad ruined their friendship?

Scott hesitantly approached Dan, shaking his head in disbelief. “I don’t know what to say, Dan. I never expected Pete to pull such a stupid stunt like that against Brad, especially during a game.” Dan looked at him, remaining silent. “I’m afraid that the actions of my son may have damaged our friendship,” Scott remarked, standing further from his friend than usual.

“Pete has to learn to put his personal feelings aside when playing his games. On the ice, it shouldn’t matter that Brad is Abby’s boyfriend. What if Pete was dating Diane or Brenda? Do you expect Brad to act the same way?”

“Of course I don’t. I know Brad well enough to know he wouldn’t do anything like that dirty body check,” Scott replied.

“I bet Pete has taken a few penalties against Derek because they’re brothers,” Dan surmised.

Yes, he has, but where does that leave us? I value our friendship very much.”

“And so do I, Scott.” Dan stepped toward Scott, placing a hand on his shoulder. “Ease your mind, my friend. Though I’m upset, I know what happened during the game had nothing to do with us. Our friendship is still good.”

“That’s a relief; thank you, Dan.” He gripped his hand firmly.


The sliding door to the waiting room opened, and in walked Peter and Coach Green. Abby spotted him and, furrowing her brow, started walking quickly toward her brother. Scott grabbed her by the arm, and she tried to break free.

“Settle down, little spitfire. I know you want at Peter,” he cautioned, trying to avoid a confrontation.

“Damn right, I want at him! I won’t hurt him too much, Daddy. Just enough to put him in the same hospital room as Brad!” She glared at her brother.

Pete and Coach Green approached the group, and Scott told his son to go and sit down out of the way. Abby’s eyes fired blazing arrows at him as he walked silently past her. Jake was tempted to go after Pete again, but that motherly glare from Wendy told him no.

Coach Green proceeded to recount his meeting with Frank and, on behalf of the Kingston Frontenacs team, apologized for Pete’s illegal hit on Brad.

Vicky looked at Pete sitting by himself and went to console her stepson. “You’re no worse for wear,” she commented, sitting beside him and brushing several strands of lengthened hair from his forehead. Pete rubbed his right knuckles, sore from his fight with Jake. She touched his chin, observing the scrapes and bruises on his face. “Not too bad. I imagine Derek has done worse to you.”

“He has,” he smirked. Pete looked at Abby, standing in the family group, and glared madly at him. “What have I done, Mom?”

“The only thing you did wrong was pick the worst time and place to defend your sister. You say you don’t like Brad and Abby dating. What do you expect her to do, stay single all her life?”

“No, of course not. I know she’ll get married someday, but why to him? He’s a hockey player!”

“And you’re not? I’ve known Brad for six years now, and you couldn’t ask for a more loyal friend than him. Yes, he and Abby are having sex, but you can’t stop her from growing up. I think you resent that she’s becoming a beautiful young woman, who, every day, reminds you more and more of your mother.”

“You should embrace Abby growing up into such a beautiful young woman and how she resembles your mom. Who knows, maybe someday, she and Brad will get married and have kids. Imagine her baking cookies with her young daughter and telling her stories of your mom and you kids growing up.”

“You sure know how to figure me out. You’ve been a great mom to Derek and me since you married Dad. You don’t put up with any of our bullshit.”

Vicky took his hand in hers and chuckled. “I’ve always loved being a Mom. It’s finding the right husband that I’ve had trouble doing until I found Scott.”

“I sure can tell that Dad loves you.”

“And I love him too. It took me long enough to find my Mr. Right. I wish I had met your dad two husbands ago,” she joked. “Look at this crazy family of ours. We all interact and depend on each other just like the players on your hockey team do.” Vicky stood, offering her hand to Peter. “Come on, it’s time for you to do some apologizing and a major suck-up job to Abby.”


Pete exhaled deeply, and Vicky escorted him to the gathered family and coaches. Abby noticed him approaching and darted for him out of Scott’s grasp.

“What gives you the right to think you can run my life? I’m not a little girl anymore! Brad has done nothing wrong to you except love me, and this is how you thank him, by putting him in the hospital? Maybe you should join him!” She unexpectedly slapped him hard across the face.

“I hate you, Peter!” Then she repeatedly thumped her fists against his chest and began crying. He knew he deserved her wrath and let her continue. “I love him, Peter! I love Brad, and he loves me!” She cried. Pete hugged her, so she couldn’t hit him again. “Don’t you understand that I love him? Can’t you see that?” She sobbed.

“I know you do, Sis. I realize that now,” he replied, kissing her head. “I’m so sorry for what I did to Brad and to you. I guess I didn’t want to admit that my little sister isn’t so little anymore,” he said, continuing to hug her.

“I love him, Peter,” she whimpered, becoming overwhelmed. Her arms went from being pinned against him to hugging him.

“I know you do, Abby,” he consoled her, looking to the others.

“You should hear the love song he wrote and sang for me. It’s so beautiful,” she said, looking up at him as Pete’s thumbs brushed aside her tears.

Peter took Abby by the hand and joined the group. “I want to apologize to everyone for my actions against Brad. He didn’t do anything wrong and didn’t deserve to get hurt. I hope you can somehow forgive me.”

“You know we will forgive you, but it’s Abby you’ll have to suck up to for a long time,” Scott joked.

“Jake, you throw a mean left hook for a rookie,” Pete kidded, rubbing his chin.

“I was defending my friend and teammate,” he justified.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.