1 September 2007 - Cover

1 September 2007

Copyright© 2017 by Mustang

Chapter 2

Vicky chatted with Karen before joining Scott to watch the Falcon’s game against The Kingston Frontenacs. “I’ve got really mixed feelings about tonight. Brad is like a son to me, and Peter is my stepson, and they’re playing on opposite teams. I don’t know who to cheer for.”

“I guess you cheer for both and just hope they each have a good game and don’t get injured,” Karen replied.

While Brad and Jake changed into their hockey uniforms, Wendy sat in the arena seats between Dan and Karen. Sitting several rows behind the Falcons bench was Abby, between Diane and Brenda, along with Cathy. All the girls wore their usual low-cut tops and short skirts for appreciative eyes. Vicky chose her partial allegiance by sitting with her husband, Scott, behind the Kingston team.

Abby watched Brad intently during the pre-game warm-up and looked at her brother, Peter. The buzzer sounded for the players to leave the ice for cleaning, then Brad skated to the center red line between the benches waiting for him.

“Have a good game, Pete.” Brad smiled, offering his hand.

“Keep your head up, Miller!” Pete growled.

“It’s Hayward now, but you know that.”

“You’re in my territory now, Miller! Better keep your head up around me, or I’ll hand you your ass on the blade of my stick!” Peter sneered.

“You can’t hit what you can’t catch,” Brad said, matching his witty barb.

“I’m only shaking your hand because Abby wants me to and I love my little sister.”

“And I love her too. She says we’re going to be married someday,” he said, adding to the tense meeting. He glared at Brad for his comment and gripped his hand extra tight. Abby smiled as they shook hands, then went to their dressing rooms.


The final exhibition game for both teams began. Brad and Jake were centered on the third line by Mike Johnson, and they produced instant chemistry on the ice.

Several of Brad’s shifts found him fighting for puck possession with Peter in the Frontenac’s defensive zone. Brad was better than Peter anticipated and pressed hard, checking him several times, preventing Brad from scoring or making a good scoring pass.

Both teams were battling hard with end-to-end action as if it were a regular-season game. At the twelve-minute mark of the first period, Mike fed Jake a pass as they broke out of their zone. He caught a glimpse of Brad streaking down the right wing. He fed him a perfect cross-ice pass, and only Pete stood between him and the Kingston goalie.

Brad deaked right towards the boards by the face-off circle, then cut left, and for a fraction of a second, he caught Peter off stride. That split second was all Brad needed, and he drove hard toward the net. He showed a forehand shot, then switched to his backhand. As the goalie stretched to cover the open part of the net, Brad slipped the puck five-hole for the Falcons’ first goal.

“Brad scored!” Abby yelled and jumped to her feet with applause, and the rest of the family joined her. High fives were shared by everyone.

“Great pass, Jake! Nice set up, Mike!” Brad acknowledged his teammates with the customary pat on the head or shoulder. He knew he’d had the upper hand on Pete and didn’t dare flaunt his momentary victory.

Pete leaned over, his stick resting against his knee pads, as he cruised towards the bench for a line change. He glared at Brad, leading the way to receive glove pats from his teammates.


The teams battled back and forth, continuing to play high-paced, hard hockey. Kingston managed to score on the power play to tie the game. In the last minute of play in the first period, Brad was pressing hard against Pete as he crossed the Kingston blue line. He tried to deceive Peter again, but this time he was ready for him.

Pete checked him hard against the boards, but not before Brad was able to pass the puck to Mike. He fought off his checker, and Mike fired a quick wrister glove side for the Falcons’ second goal. The home fans erupted in loud cheers and applause for the great scoring play.

The first period ended with the Falcons leading 2 to 1.

In their dressing room, the coaches encouraged the good play of the team and emphasized their weaknesses. In the Kingston room, Pete was mad for allowing Brad to get a goal and assist and vowed to be a stronger force against him.


The second period began with the Falcons continuing to take the play to Kingston in a hard-fought contest. Pete made a pass to his left winger at their blue line as his team was finishing a line change. Brad partially intercepted the pass and fought for ownership of the puck along the boards with their winger.

As the two tried to take puck control from each other, Pete saw his chance. He glided at high speed towards Brad. Using his stick, he gave him a thunderous crosscheck across his back. The force of the impact caused Brad to lose his balance, pushing him against Kingston’s bench door.

The door was closed but not secured, and Brad’s momentum pushed it open. He fell heavily, hitting his right side against the frame post.

“Uhhhhh!” He grunted from the hard impact and slumped to the wet floor. The players seated on the bench moved, expecting him to get up quickly and rejoin the play.

“I still don’t like you fucking my sister!” Pete grumbled, leaning close to him.

“Uhhhh, uhhhh, uhhh!” Brad moaned in terrible pain. His right side felt like it was on fire. He grabbed his side, moaning and rocking in pain. His skates moved side to side on the ice as he fought to catch his breath. The Kingston trainer immediately knew the player was injured and scrambled to his aid.

“Uhhh, uhhh, I can’t breathe! I can’t breathe!” Brad complained in a hoarse voice as he continued to groan in agony.

“Okay, don’t move, don’t move!” The trainer cautioned, a hand on his shoulder.


Mike Johnson saw Brad writhing in pain and went after Pete. Jake saw Pete crosscheck Brad and was first to defend his injured teammate. Jake gave Pete two hard shoves and then dropped his stick and gloves. Pete wasn’t backing down from a fight, and his stick and gloves joined Jake’s on the ice. The referee blew his whistle, seeing a fight about to begin. The two opponents spared off preparing to battle.

Fans behind the Kingston bench gathered at the glass that separated the players from the crowd, looking down at the injured player and the evolving fight.

“There’s a fight starting!” A fan near the Haywards yelled as the theme song to the movie, ‘Rocky,’ began.

“One of the Falcons players was crosschecked into the boards and is hurt!” Another fan yelled. The Referee directed the other players to their benches as the fight began.

Dan, Karen, and the others stood to see the bout taking place on the Kingston side of the ice. Abby had been texting with Britney and Amber and only glanced up, but the standing crowd hid her view.

“Who’s fighting?” Dan wondered, unable to see the numbers.

“It’s Jake and number 14 from Kingston!” Wendy noticed.

“Fourteen, that’s Peter’s number!” Abby recognized looking up, then standing to watch.


Fans were cheering as the two fighters grabbed each other by the sweater, wrestled, and exchanged punches. Mike Johnson stopped quickly at the Falcons’ bench, spraying ice shavings with the razor-sharp blades on his skates. He told the trainer and Coach Stanton Brad was injured, and the trainer quickly jumped the boards and ran to assist him.

Mike stepped off the ice and looked at the crowd for the Haywards. He spotted Dan and Karen, tapping his stick on the glass partition to get their attention. “Brad’s hurt real bad!” He pointed.

“Brad’s hurt?! Brad’s hurt?!” Abby reacted and tried to stretch her height to see past the sea of standing people. She scrambled past Dan and Karen, running up the steps to the main landing that separated the upper and lower bowls.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.