1 September 2007
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2017 by Mustang

Brad leaned back against the wall of his dressing room stall, trying to recover his breathing from the hard hockey practice. He used a towel to wipe away the sweat still leaking from his pores.

The ten-day-long training camp for the Belleville Falcons ended today. Coach Stanton and his staff had put the players through good, hard practices in advance of the final exhibition game before the start of the regular season.

Brad survived several rounds of draft pick selections this year and last, with invited players and free agents being cut from training camp. He wondered if he’d played hard enough to impress the coaches and make the team.

What made camp more of a challenge was that the coaching staff split the team in two for practices, scrimmages, several simulated games, and several exhibition games. Brad and his close friend, Jake Campbell, were placed on opposite teams and played against each other almost every shift. On the ice, they had to put their friendship aside, trying to prove their hockey skills to the discerning coaches.

Adding to the tension was the fact that Brad’s dad was on the coaching staff. This would be Dan’s first full season as the Falcons’ skills coach. He tried to be objective when the coaches and General Manager asked for his input in selecting who does and doesn’t make the team. He gave his opinion on several players and declined to comment on Jake Campbell or his son to avoid any conflicts of interest.

More importantly, Coach Stanton, his assistants, and General Manager were making the final cuts today for the few rookie spots remaining. Brad gave a quiet laugh, looking at his close friend Jake Campbell, who was just as tired from the strenuous workout.


Jake smiled at Brad as he sat beside him and taped their water bottles, toasting their close friendship. Though they’d been competing for one of the four or five rookie vacancies on the team, they supported each other. They realized the odds were slim that they’d both make the team and had agreed not to hold any animosity towards the other, no matter who becomes a Falcon. Brad had put in his best possible effort to make the team and hoped his hard work on and off the ice had paid off.

His constant love, Abby, had reassured him before his last practice. “I still love you and am so proud of you, no matter what happens.”

Brad let out a deep sigh and finished off the last of his bottled water. He exhaled deeply, smiling quietly. He had to trust that he’d impressed the coaching staff with his skillful play during the two exhibition games he played in, scoring three goals and two assists. Jake had been equally good and, in some respects, better than him.

“Yahoo, alright, I made it!” They could hear yelling from the hallway. The door burst open, and a sullen-looking Scott Warren came in.

“What was all that hollering about?” Brad asked.

“It sounds like one of the guys made the team,” Scott said, throwing his stick and gloves down. Brad feared his good friend had bad news.

“Who was it, who made the team?” Jake and Brad needed to know, with one less opening left for them.

Scott’s face grew the biggest smile. “It was ... me! I made the Falcons, and I owe it all to you, Brad!”

“Hey man, you did all the work. I’m very happy for you! All I did was help my friend. I can’t play defence, but you sure can; congratulations, buddy!” Brad went to Scott, giving him a hardy hug and handshake. Jake also offered his congratulations.

Scott was so happy he didn’t shower, quickly changed from his hockey gear to street clothes, and went to tell his parents his exciting news. Brad then took off his gear and headed for the shower. The warm water felt good on his growing list of bumps and bruises and massaged his biceps and calf muscles. He returned to the main room, towelling off, and noticed Jake was gone.

As he was dressing, the door burst open again, and Clark Bertrand stormed in. He threw his gloves, stick, and helmet on the floor, swearing up a storm. “I didn’t make the fucking team!” He grumbled.

Brad looked on in silence as Clark muttered endlessly, quickly changed from hockey gear to clothes, and left. “Holy shit, they cut him too? He played for the Falcons for half of last season and still got cut?” He said this in an empty room. Brad’s hopes of making the team sank even lower.

Brad finished dressing and putting away his gear in his hockey bag. “I thought you’d gone home,” he said, seeing Jake enter the room.

“When you were in the shower, I was called into the coach’s office. Brad ... I made the fucking team! I’m a Falcon!”

“Hey man, way to go, Jake! I knew you’d make it! I’m so happy for you!” He congratulated his good friend with a strong hug and handshake but silently felt jealous of him. Brad did the math; there was only one spot remaining for three rookies.

“Coach Stanton wants to see you next,” Jake told him.

“Oh boy, here it comes. It was nice knowing you, Jake. Maybe you can skin me the odd free ticket to watch you play this season,” he said, preparing to hear the bad news.

“You played just as good as I did,” Jake reasoned.

“You can backcheck better than I can,” Brad admitted to one of his weaknesses.


Brad stood at the open doorway to Coach Frank Stanton’s office and knocked on the door frame. “You wanted to see me, Coach?” He asked, noticing Coach Stanton and Assistant Carl Benson.

“Come in, Brad, and please close the door,” Frank asked. They offered their hands to shake and asked him to sit. Brad looked at the giant crest of the Falcon on the wall above the coach’s head. The bird’s feathered head was framed by spread wings, eyes furrowed with a menacing glare, and outstretched talons ready to strike any foe.

“How are you doing, Brad?”

“Nervous as hell,” he replied, and the coaches chuckled.

“As you know, today we’re setting our final roster and making the last cuts,” Frank began.

“Yes, I know. I’m happy to see that Scott and Jake made the team; they’re both great players,” Brad praised his friends.

Yes, they are, and Scott especially seems to have a young mentor in you,” Carl mentioned.

“I don’t have any special skills; I’m just supporting my friends.”

“You’re being quite modest, Brad,” Carl offered. “You talk a lot with the other players about different tactics and offer them advice, and some do listen, which, coming from a rookie, is quite unusual.”

“Scott was having a few problems that were affecting his game and home life, so I helped him out a little. I’m always willing to learn and pass on my limited hockey knowledge to the other players.”

“Except for one skill, you never seem to talk about or display very often: your ability to shoot right- and left-handed,” Frank noted. “That is a rare gift you should use more often.”

“My dad taught me how to be ambidextrous, just like a switch hitter in baseball. You’ve got to have some secrets. A player can be a teammate one game and your opponent the next.”

“You’re a good friend and teammate,” Carl mentioned. “But it’s time to talk about you.”

“How do you think your play has been during training camp?” Frank asked.

“What an experience! I hope I’ve done well enough to make the team.”

“What do you feel is your major weakness?” Carl wondered.

“I suck at backchecking, and that’s from being caught out of position too often. I’m watching Mike Johnson closely to see how he does it. He’s a good player to watch and learn from.”

“Our major decision about you is whether we send you back to midget for your final year, though that wouldn’t help you grow as a player,” Frank stated.

“On the plus side, you have an NHL-calibre shot that is very accurate, which is very rare for a sixteen-year-old player. You have good speed and hands and seem to want to set up power plays when you’re on the ice during the man advantage.”

“I apologize if I’m not supposed to do that as a rookie. It’s something I did a lot in midget and feel comfortable doing so.”

“Don’t be sorry for a skill that comes naturally to you,” Carl noted. “You and Jake Campbell seemed to play well together or against each other.”

“Jake is a great left-winger. We were teammates in several tournaments over the years and have a healthy respect for each other as opponents and friends. And it doesn’t hurt that his mom and my parents are very good friends.”

“Brad, we’ve decided that you need to progress as a hockey player, and the only way that is going to happen is by being a member of the Falcons. Congratulations, you made the team!”

Brad had to control his exuberance, wanting to yell at the top of his lungs. “Thank you, thank you so much! I won’t let you down!” He vigorously shook their hands with gratitude.

“You can see the trainer for which number you’d like to wear and be properly fitted for your new hockey gear,” Carl said.

“That’s an easy choice. My dad wore number 27 when he played junior hockey years ago for the Hamilton Red Wings. If I can, I’d like to wear the same number to honour him or reverse it and wear seventy-two.”

“I don’t know if that can happen. General Manager Peterson and the Board of Governors have been discussing retiring number 27 to honour the years and contribution Tony Bishop has made to the Falcons.”

“He holds several team records and, as you probably know, already has a successful career in the NHL.”

“Maybe if you can give me a season or two, I can give you two reasons for retiring the number 27,” Brad boldly predicted.

“I’ll talk to the GM and see what he says. Go home and get some rest; you’ll be in the lineup tonight against Kingston,” Frank said, and they shook Brad’s hand.

Brad was all smiles as he left their office. He hurried down the hall and entered the team room to find Jake still waiting for him. “I made the team too!”

“That’s fantastic, Brad; congratulations! After all these years of playing against each other, we’re finally on the same team!” They shared hugs and high-fives.


Brad and Jake hurried upstairs to meet Dan, and he couldn’t contain his exuberance and grin from ear to ear. “Dad, I made the team!”

“Congratulations Brad. I’m very proud of you!” He smiled, shaking his hand and hugging him.

“And I made the Falcons too,” Jake added. “We’re both playing against Kingston tonight.”

“And I’m proud of you too, Jake. Call your mom, then your dad, and give them the good news.”

“Dad, can we stop by Abby’s work so I can tell her?”

“Sure we can.”

Dan and Jake waited in the car while Brad told Abby his good news, and she immediately texted Peter and Derek. Derek replied, congratulations, see you on the ice, but Peter wasn’t so happy for him.

“I still don’t like Miller dating my sister, so you had better tell him to keep his head up!” Peter warned in his reply to Abby.


At home, Brad was met by a very excited and proud mother. Karen had to resist the temptation to take Brad to bed for a congratulatory fuck, but she knew Abby would be giving him that pleasure. Wendy was so happy and proud of her boy and thanked Dan for his interest in Jake’s hockey endeavours.

Dan picked up a long-handled spoon Karen was using to make another batch of beef barley soup and held the oval end to his mouth as if it were a microphone.

“And now we’re joined by the first star of tonight’s game, right winger Brad Hayward of the Belleville Falcons. Brad, what do you contribute to your team’s success in winning handily against London, 6 to 1?”

“Come on, Dad, you’re teasing me.”

“Partly. I’m proud of you, Brad, and now you can expect to be interviewed by sports reporters for newspapers and on TV. You need to know how to respond intelligently to their questions. Starting off with, ‘Well, you know,’ Well, I guess,’ umm, ahh, yeah, well, you see,’ and ‘well, like I said,’ are not very smart ways to start an interview.”

Brad took the spoon from his dad and began. Dan, you played a strong game tonight, being named the first star and leading the Falcons with your three-goal performance in a 6 to 1 victory.”

“We did play a good game. London is a very worthy opponent. They lead the Eastern Conference, so we knew they’d be hard to play against. We played a strong, complete game from the opening faceoff and kept London to fewer than twenty-five shots on net. Our goalie kept us in the game early with great saves at the right time, and we responded to his effort.”

Brad smiled, continuing the fun. “Tonight’s hat trick is the fifth for you this season, and you lead the Falcons in scoring and sit second in league scoring. What do you contribute to your success this season?”

“I’m fortunate to play with great teammates. They put me in a position to finish off the plays they’ve started. We have three solid lines doing great at putting points on the board, which makes it difficult for other teams to defend against.”

Wow, Dad, you sure fed me a good line.” Brad smiled, with Jake also listening intently to Dan’s advice.

“It’s very easy for a player to gloat about having his own strong game, but you have to remember, one player doesn’t make a whole team. Give credit to your teammates who helped you score those three goals. Every player can have a bad game that contributes to a loss, or one player’s mistake can cost the winning goal. Learn from the good and bad of the game to improve as a player, a teammate, and as a person. If you ever say me, my, or I, it had better be followed with us, we, or our.”

Dan took the spoon from Brad. “Your team is off to a poor start this season and sits in last place in the division, yet you lead the team in scoring. What can you do to get your team to put in a stronger effort each game for more wins?”

“Despite our poor start, we are a good team. We’ve been in every game, losing only by two goals at the most. Our defensive play is hurting us, and when the other teams continually get over forty shots on goal, it shows just how good our goalie really is. He isn’t playing poorly; we’re playing that poorly for him.”

“The goals and assists I get might be good for individual statistics, but they are also an indication of the great teammates I have the pleasure of playing with.”


“That’s very good, Brad. When being interviewed, be careful how you choose your words. You represent the team each time you, Jake, or any of the others are interviewed, and you’ll end up seeing or hearing about the conversation. You may think an interview is not very exciting, but the Pro scouts look at you as a player and how you conduct yourself as a person. Giving a good-quality interview further increases your value for the future draft.”

“Give praise to your teammates no matter how good or bad they play, and own up to your mistakes when you make them. If a goalie has a high goals against average and a low save percentage, is he a bad goalie, or is there a poor team in front of him? Even an average goalie will have good stats on a strong team.”

“Thanks a lot, Dad. You’re still teaching me on and off the ice.”

“You’re welcome, Son. Come on, Jake, let’s take a few minutes to talk hockey.” They went and sat in the rec room. “You’re both entering the next phase of your hockey careers. Listen to your coaches and veteran players to learn all that you can. Of course, you’re going to make mistakes on the ice, but it’ll be a bigger mistake if you don’t learn from what you did wrong. It may take several tries before you get it right. Even highly paid NHL players still make mistakes.”

“What do you think is the hardest position to play, forward or defence?” Jake wondered.

“Neither one; it’s being a goalie that’s the hardest.”

“What do you mean?”

“Most of the time, a forward’s or defenseman’s mistakes can be quickly covered by another player on the ice. For the goalie, there is no one else. He’s the last line of defence, as they say.”

“Some goalies are naturally good and, like other players, take some time to mature into the position. If he’s having a bad game, believe me, he’s being harder on himself than the coach would be by pulling him from the game. Why do you think goalies go for a short skate after a stoppage in play? Because it is a stress reliever and sets their mind for the next sequence of plays. The two goalies should work very close together.”

“What goalie doesn’t want to play every game? They should be the two closest teammates on the roster, feeding off each other’s strengths and not being afraid to receive constructive criticism for their weaknesses. You’ll notice CHL teams rarely have two goalies the same age, usually two or three years apart in experience.”

“Sometimes the coach will change goalies, not because he’s playing a bad game but because his teammates aren’t playing better in front of him. No matter how many millions of dollars a Pro makes in a season, we’re all still humans. A compliment can go a long way to building up a player’s esteem.”

“I know it’s the goalie’s job to stop the pucks, but when your goalie makes a fantastic save, tell him how much you appreciate his effort. Every goalie will have a bad game, and he’ll let in a soft goal or two, but remember how many saves he’s made when the team plays poorly yet still wins the game. Tell him he’s not the only one having a bad game, and tell him they’ll play better for him.”

Geesh, Dad, I never thought about the goalie like that before. You should be a hockey coach,” Brad suggested.

“And I agree, Dad. You’ve got a lot of hockey sense and would make a great coach,” Jake agreed.

“At your level and above, coaches are hired to be fired except for one, Brian Kilrea, who has coached the Ottawa 67s for probably close to thirty years. He’s the exception to the rule.”

“I still think you’d make a great coach. Let me ask you, who would you rather play against, a first-place team or a last-place team?” Brad asked, marvelling at his dad’s hockey knowledge.

“One is just as bad as the other. Playing a first-place team makes yours play harder against them. Likely, the stronger teams will win more often, and it shows in the standings. The last-place team playing the leading team will be more motivated to play harder and can build good momentum by beating a first-place team. So the old saying is true: on any given night, any team can beat another.”

“Would you sooner be in first place or, say, around third in the standings?”

“Always first place. Teams lower than yours will be more motivated to win, which, in turn, should make your team play even harder.”

“Thanks a lot, Dad; you’ve been a great help.”

“Anytime, Son, and the same thing applies to you too, Jake. I want to see you become successful also.”

“Thank you, Dad. I’ll make you proud of me, just like Brad will,” he predicted.

“I love my son and am always proud of him, but Jake, when you call me Dad, it sends tingles of pride up and down my back.”

“It just comes so easy to call you, Dad.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.