Community Service - the Prequel - Cover

Community Service - the Prequel

Copyright© 2017 by The Blind Man

Chapter 6

It turned out that Sid, the man in the trading post that Ben had hit on the head, was dead. Ben learned this on reaching the trading post and almost tripping over the body.

Ben had walked up the trail from the flat in the company of Idaho Bill. The two had chatted about what needed to be done, now that the bullets had stopped flying about, and reasonable people had time to think. They’d come back up to the trading post to fetch a couple of shovels, and to speak with Big Ed about what he wanted to do about burying the bodies. Just as Ben was about to step towards the front door of the trading post, Sid’s body came thudding out through the portal, landing just in front of Ben. It took quick footedness to keep from tripping over the body.

“What the fuck?” Ben exclaimed once he’d hauled up short and had sidestepped the corpse. “What was that about?”

“Sorry,” Big Ed muttered in apology, a sheepish grin upon his grizzled face. “I was just tidying up the mess you left in my place.”

Ben looked at the man for a moment and then looked at the body that was lying strewn at his feet. Then he glanced back at Big Ed.

“Dead?” Ben enquired in uncertain manner.

“Yup,” Big Ed responded in turn, this time smiling even more broadly as before. “I guess you don’t know your own strength, Marshal. You caved the poor asshole’s brains in. Still, it’s not much of a big deal. After all, it does save you carting the piece of shit back to wherever you hang up your hat. Just think of it as saving the taxpayers money.”

“He’s got you there, Marshal,” Idaho Bill chimed in when Ben said nothing in reply. “You can’t argue with that.”

Ben had to agree. He hadn’t thought about that, especially when he’d sent Big Ed up to check on the man. All Ben had been concerned about was the chance that one of the bad guys might get away or even worse, for the man to grab a gun and start blasting up the place, potentially hurting innocents. Now that Big Ed had pointed it out, Ben knew the man was correct. If the man had been alive, then Ben would’ve had to do something with him, which would have made for an interesting problem for Ben, since he wasn’t really a lawman. This spared Ben a heap load of trouble and it allowed him to focus on helping the people he’d come to help, instead of dealing with someone Ben really didn’t feel any sympathy towards. Recognizing this Ben let out a sigh of relief.

“I guess you’re both right,” Ben admitted freely, reaching out with his right hand towards the owner of the trading post, offering it to him as he spoke. “By the way, my names Benjamin Hart, although most people just call me Ben. I presume you’re Big Ed?”

Big Ed reached out and took Ben’s proffered hand. He shook it willingly, grinning warmly as he did. At the same time, Big Ed officially introduced himself to Ben.

“It’s a pleasure, Ben,” Big Ed declared in all honesty, before continuing on. “Technically the names Edward Struthers, but like you I don’t go in for long names, particularly here amongst friends. I’m originally from St. Louis, but I haven’t been back there for years. Now this old goat next to you is Idaho Bill, but I think you know that by now. His real name is William Jennings. He’s a trapper, hunter, and scout for the army whenever they decide they need to travel beyond the confines of their forts.”

Ben smiled knowingly in response to Big Ed’s jibe at the military here in the west. He knew from his history lessons and from what he’d been ‘educated’ on before taking this trip back in time, that overall the military of this time was ineffectual against the indigenous people that populated the region during this time period. It was only by luck and the interests of more peaceful minded people that wholesale bloodshed hadn’t occurred yet. It would gain more control later on in history, but not here and now. Once Big Ed relinquished Ben’s hand, Ben turned and shook hands with Idaho Bill.

“All right then,” Ben muttered when he’d finished formally greeting the man that he’d just strolled up the hill with, “I think it’s time we got down to work. We’ve got bodies to bury and a few other chores that need taking care of before any of us can call it quits for the day. Have you any preferences where you want the bodies planted?”

“My people,” Big Ed responded, his face turning grim as he replied, “we can bury across the creek and up the hill a ways, on the other side of the trail. There’s a nice place there that’s shaded by some trees. As for those bastards that caused all of this mess, I won’t have them buried anywhere near my place. Personally I wish I had a couple of hogs. I’d toss their carcass to them so the hogs would eat them up, but seeing that I don’t, I’d prefer it if you either dumped their bodies in the river, or dragged their stinking carcasses out onto the plains and let the scavengers deal with them.”

Ben couldn’t argue with Big Ed about what he wanted done with the dead, particularly since Ben didn’t feel too fond of the raiders either, and as he saw it, they deserved whatever they got. He did however feel that the three men and possibly a couple of the women, including Dove, needed to sit down and get everyone organized before anything actually happened. Ben mentioned this, pointing out that there were other matters that the two men didn’t know about that needed dealing with before the day was out, including having someone go with Dove to fetch her livestock and whatever there was of value at the broken down wagon.

“We left everything where it was,” Ben explained pointedly, “when Missus Taylor told me that the raiders had taken the trading post. There are at least eight horses there, plus a couple of cows, another wagon, and whatever else the raiders were hauling about in the wagon that broke down. At the very least I’m sure Missus Taylor would like her livestock here, safe against anyone stealing it again, or predators taking an interest in them.”

“I agree,” Big Ed murmured in reply, nodding his head as he said that, and then glancing towards Idaho Bill. “I think Bill could take care of that problem for you without breaking a sweat. Hell, with Missus Taylor leading the way and the help of another woman, I’m sure Bill can round up your animals in no time, and then the three of them can go and fetch back the other animals, along with the wagons and gear you told us about, while we two dig graves.”

Ben saw no problem with the plan, particularly since Bill indicated that he’d take off right away, as soon as Dove was ready to ride, and he’d fetch everything back that had been left behind that morning in the rush to come rescue the trading post. With the men in agreement, Ben called Dove over to let her know what the plan was and it didn’t take long for her to agree to the plan as well. Idaho Bill, Dove, and another woman who was also a native, headed off on foot over the rise in order to collect the horses ridden by Ben and the women. The trio would ride those animals to fetch back the livestock and the other stuff. Once they had departed, Ben brought up another job that needed to be done. Ben mentioned looting the dead.

Big Ed was in agreement with that idea. As he saw it, the dead certainly didn’t need their belongings in the grave, particularly the bastards that had raided his place and who’d caused all this grief. To him, those men needed to pay for the inconvenience they’d caused him. With that declared, Big Ed pointed to a woman who was standing in front of all of the other women, and called her over.

“This is Half-Moon, my woman,” Big Ed stated in the form of an introduction. “I think she can organize the other women to help out while you and I go and did those graves. She can also get a meal going. Those bastards didn’t feed us last night, or this morning and I’m hungry.”

Ben could live with that idea. He was hungry as well and it would be nice to have something in his stomach later on, once all the work was done. He agreed and then turned to speak to Cecily to suggest that she help out Half-Moon. As he did, Ben heard the approach of a wagon.

Ben drew his pistol, reflexively, startling everyone. The women stepped back in surprise, and Big Ed’s hand dropped to the pistol that was sticking out of the top of his pants. As he did, Ben pointed towards the rise in the direction the sound was coming from. Big Ed looked just in time to see Blossom riding over the top of the hill.

“Is that how you greet friends, lawman?” Blossom enquired curtly, her expression hard. “Perhaps I should turn about and ride away.”

Ben sighed with relief on hearing the old woman’s stern words. He returned his pistol to his holster, and then stepped forward to apologize to the woman. As he did, Cecily ran by him to see to her brother and her children, who had just pulled into sight behind Blossom. Her cries of happiness and relief filled the air.

Ben explained to Blossom what had happened. The old woman listened patiently to his tale, then shifted herself and slipped off her pony. Once on the ground she walked up to Ben and patted him on his arm.

“You’ve done well, lawman,” Blossom stated in a matter of fact manner, without so much as a smile upon her lips. “It is good we took the long way to get here. Now I must speak to my granddaughter.”

With that Blossom abandoned Ben, leaving him to tend to her pony, while she walked over to where Half-Moon was standing. Once there both women started talking animatedly in their native tongue.

“I wouldn’t take Blossom too seriously, Marshal,” Big Ed murmured to Ben as he stepped over to stand beside him, giving the women room to greet each other. “She’s always been hard-faced and stiff backed whenever she’s dealt with any man. I’ve always put it down to her being a medicine woman amongst her people. She’s a good healer and most people show her deference, and sometimes she allows that to go to her head. She likes you though. She’s allowing you to care for her pony.”

Ben smiled at that remark. He was sure the old woman did like him. If she hadn’t, she’d have probably let him flounder on his own, instead of coming to his help. Knowing that, Ben decided he could live with her crotchety behaviour.

“Let’s get to work,” Big Ed suggested, drawing Ben’s thoughts back to the then and there. “As you said earlier, there is work to be done.”

Ben agreed; however before heading off to dig graves, Ben turned back towards the big farm wagon and Cecily’s family.

“We’ve got work to do Amos,” Ben called out to the man who was still seated on the driver’s seat of the wagon. “Get the wagon unloaded as quickly as you can, and then start loading it with bodies. Your sister can point out who to grab first. We want the victims gathered up first and then brought to us down by the creek. Once you’ve done that, then you can load up the bodies of the raiders. I’m going to dump them all out on the plains.”

Amos started wide-eyed back at Ben, surprised to hear the instructions, and hesitant as to what to say. Fortunately for Ben, Cecily had heard every word.

“He’ll do it, Marshal Ben,” Cecily cried back, smiling broadly as she did. “I’ll see to that.”

Ben nodded his acknowledgement and then turned to leave. As he did, Ben found his path barred by Blossom.

“Stay, lawman,” Blossom ordered forcefully, holding up a hand to reinforce her words. “There is something else that you must do, other than digging graves.”

“What?” Ben enquired sharply, eyeing the woman with both curiosity and concern. “Have I forgotten something?”

“No,” Blossom answered shaking her head from side to side as she spoke. “You did not know of this problem, nor did the others you’ve spoken to. But I know of it now, and I require your help. Will you give it?”

“Of course,” Ben replied automatically, wondering what the hell was going on. “You know that I’d help you out or anyone else if I could. What’s going on here?”

“Good,” Blossom murmured with a hint of satisfaction in her voice. “This woman here is Dawn Flower. She is daughter of a great war chief and the mate of Swift Hawk. Swift Hawk is a good hunter and the son of a mighty chief amongst my people. The two of them arrived here just before you did. Swift Hawk had come to trade with Big Ed for powder and lead so that he could hunt the buffalo. He brought many furs to trade, but when Swift Hawk saw that bad men were here, forcing Big Ed to work like slave, Swift Hawk had Dawn Flower hide in a thicket with the furs while Swift Hawk scouted about to see if he could help. Unfortunately, a bad man saw Swift Hawk while he was scouting near the river’s edge, and the bad man shot Swift Hawk. Swift Hawk fell back into the water, and the bad men ran to see if he was dead. Other women here say that the bad men said that Swift Hawk was dead and that his body was carried off by the river current. Dawn Flower wants you to find body. He must be returned to his people. This is very important.”

Ben listened to Blossom tell him this, and somehow deep within him, Ben understood the seriousness of what Blossom was telling him.

“If what Blossom is saying is true,” Big Ed interjected, speaking up when Blossom fell silent, “then you really need to do this for Dawn Flower. Chief Stone Eagle is a powerful chief in these parts. He normally keeps the peace between the homesteaders and his people, but if his son has been shot, and he’s dead, there is no telling what he might do. Finding the body and taking it to him might possibly save a whole lot of lives.’

Ben certainly didn’t argue that point with Big Ed and he knew from the looks he was getting from everyone else that he really didn’t have much choice in the matter. So he just nodded his head in agreement, and then asked if anyone knew exactly where the young hunter had fallen in to the river. To his surprise, several of the women said they did.

It took only a minute or two to walk back down the trail and across the flat to the spot where Swift Hawk had been shot. Blossom, Dawn Flower, and Big Ed accompanied him, while the other women got to work collecting the dead and stripping them of everything that was of value on them.

The spot where Swift Hawk had been shot was a bit of land that jutted out from the bank of the river by half a dozen feet to form a natural jetty. The finger of land was sloped towards the water and covered with wild grasses. To the lee of the spit of land grew tall reeds and other aquatic grasses.

Ben stepped down onto the finger of land to have a look around, to see what he could see. It didn’t take him long to point out where Swift Hawk had been standing when he’d been shot. The grass on the spit of land still showed the impression of the young hunter’s presence even though a number of hours had passed since he’d been there. Ben knelt down and glanced about, he found the young hunter’s rifle and powder horn lying in the grass where he’d dropped them. These he handed up to Big Ed. Finally Ben spotted specks of blood splattered on the grasses. There wasn’t much, but that didn’t matter too much. The sign made it clear that Swift Hawk had been hit.

Ben stood after finding the blood. He looked out at the river that was flowing slowly by their location. He took in the fact that the river was relatively wide at that point, and the fact that the banks on both sides of the river were several feet above the flow. He also took note that there was a lot of plant life growing at the water’s edge, at least near where they were standing and that the growth could easily hide a body.

“Do you have a canoe or a boat?” Ben enquired of Big Ed, once he’d seen what needed to be seen. “It would make looking for the body that much easier.”

It turned out that Big Ed did have a boat. He helped Ben back up off the spit of land, and then told Ben to follow him. Ben did willingly and a few moments later they were both standing in the trading posts stables, where Big Ed was pointing out his boat.

The craft was a small rowboat that could accommodate six people at a time. Big Ed told Ben that he used it from time to time to ferry supplies across the river for some of his customers. Ben nodded his understanding, and then took a minute or two to examine the boat. Ben wasn’t an expert in the handling of small craft; although he’d been ‘educated’ in their use back at the detention centre prior to his trip back in time, but from what he could tell the craft was sound.

Together Big Ed and Ben carried the boat and the oars for it down to the river’s edge so that Ben could launch it. He explained his intentions to drift down the river for a bit, searching the reed beds for Swift Hawk’s body, before pressing on further down the river. Ben then asked for volunteers to go with him.

Dawn Flower said she’d go along, and Cecily volunteered her two boys to help out. Toby and Josh both knew how to swim and they weren’t afraid of getting wet. They could look around while Ben managed the boat, and they could poke around in the reed beds if necessary. Ben agreed to take them. He then went and found his long gun just in case he needed it. He made certain it was charged and ready to use and did the same with his pistol. Once he was ready and his rifle was stored in the boat, and the others were aboard, Ben pushed off.

“Wish me luck,” Ben called out to the onlookers as he rowed the craft away from the shore and into the current of the river. “Hopefully I’ll be back before too long.”

With that Ben brought the bow of the craft around so it was pointed in the right direction, and then they were off.


The current tugged at the boat, pulling it downstream with ease, making the need for Ben to row unnecessary. That was good; however Ben still needed to manage the course of the vessel. He sat at the rowing station, using the oars from time to time to alter the direction the boat was drifting so that the small craft would hug the eastern shore of the river. This was where most of the growth was located. As Ben did this, Toby and Josh scanned the reed beds in search of Swift Hawk’s body. Dawn Flower on the other hand sat in the bow of the boat, staring sorrowfully ahead of them, her eyes scanning the shores ahead of them for any sign of her mate. So it was in fact Dawn Flower who spotted Swift Hawk first.

“There,” the young woman called out in broken English, after we’d been on the water for half an hour. “Over there!”

Ben immediately glanced over his shoulder to see exactly where Dawn Flower was saying to go. As he glanced, young Toby spoke up, telling Ben to row for the other shore. Hearing that Ben put his back into it; first turning the nose of the craft in the desired direction and then pulling it toward that destination. With Toby calling out course corrections it didn’t take more than a couple of minutes, and a little hard work, for Ben to beach the craft near where Swift Hawk lay.

“Grab the bow rope, Toby, and get ashore,” Ben called out to the youth as he heard the bottom of the boat grate against the shore, “We’ll need to pull this boat ashore once everyone is out.”

Toby did as he was told. Josh jumped out after him, to give him a hand. There were no trees near where Ben had brought the craft in, so the boys had to stand there pulling on the rope and bracing themselves against the pull of the river, until first Dawn Flower and then Ben scrambled out of the craft. Once he had, Ben gave them a hand. He grabbed hold of the boat, where the rope was tied on, and with a heave, Ben lifted and pulled the craft up out of the water and onto the shore. While Ben and the boys dealt with the boat, Dawn Flower ran to her mate, crying out as she went in her native tongue.

To the surprise of everyone, Swift Hawk groaned out in pain the second Dawn Flower tried to roll him over onto his back. The young hunter was still alive. Somehow he’d made it to the far shore of the river, and then collapsed there face down on the muddy bank. Hearing the young man groan caused Dawn Flower to exclaim excitedly in her own language something obviously close to a prayer of thanks, and it brought Ben over to her side to help her out.

“Let me turn him over,” Ben said as he knelt down beside Dawn Flower and reached out to take hold of the young man. “It’ll be easier if I do it.”

Dawn Flower didn’t say anything in reply. She just stayed by her mate as Ben took a hold of him and gently rolled the man over onto his back. Once Ben had done that, Dawn Flower gasped in horror upon seeing the wound that was visible in the young man’s shoulder. It appeared to be still weeping blood.

“That’s not good,” Ben muttered to no one in particular. “We’ll need to put a temporary bandage on that to stop the bleeding. Once we have, then we can try and get him in the boat and then back up the river. Hopefully the damage isn’t too bad. We won’t know for certain until we’ve flushed out the wound and had a look inside.”

While Ben rambled on he slowly untied the kerchief that he’d been wearing around his neck to keep the sun off of it. Once he had it in hand, Ben pulled his bowie knife out. Quickly Ben put a nick in the fabric and then tore it in two. Putting his knife back into its sheath, Ben handed one half of the kerchief to Toby, for his keeping, while he kept the other half.

“Hold on to that for me, Toby, and don’t get it dirty,” Ben told the youth. “I’ll need it in a minute or two. First I needed to clean Swift Hawk off.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.