The Quest for the Black Qipao
Chapter 14: A Question of Trade

Copyright© 2017 by Freddie Clegg

In the House of Commons Terrace Bar, Jackie Maygood and Florence Daniels were talking over a glass of wine after a long day’s work in Committee. “What do you know about what’s been going on with Sunrise and my team, Jackie?” Florence Daniels was keen to make sure Home Affairs and Inwards Investment were singing off the same hymn sheet.

Jackie Maygood shook her head. “Not a lot. Just what you read in the press. They haven’t really been on the radar for any special attention from Inward Investment once it was agreed they’d set up manufacturing here.”

“No, I suppose not. How’s it going for you with Inward Investment?”

“I’m enjoying it. It’s my first ministerial position – I’ve been glad of the opportunity and I think we’ve been able to deliver some positives. You know the New Order political stance didn’t make it easy for us to make friends abroad for a while, but money follows opportunity. Being able to deliver a large low-wage labour force has certainly helped us to attract plenty of employment.”

“In Cabinet yesterday, Claire said she thought you’d done a good job.”

Jackie smiled. It was Claire that had got her in to her current post and it was good that she had noticed her efforts. “Well, thanks.”

“Anyway, I wanted to update you on a new programme we’re putting in through New Opportunity. You’ve seen how we’ve had some problems with the younger generation getting on board with the New Order program. It’s not that there’s any groundswell against it. It’s more that they don’t see things the way we did before we got into Government. Sunrise have some new approaches to youth education that we’re going to be putting in place.”

“Isn’t that an Edu & Skills thing?”

“They’ll be involved in implementation, but I’m more interested in outcomes. You know how concerned I am about reducing things like male curfew violations, for example, and domestic dissidents. This programme should help with that. Anyway, I wanted to make sure you knew what I was up to. I didn’t want to spring anything on you that might affect the relationship Inward Investment has with Sunrise.”

“I haven’t had too much to do with them since the decision to set up the factory in Holmsward. I thought it was going to face a lot of local objection, but it’s turned out to be a real plus for the town. The security worries have been unfounded. To be honest, I think some of my constituents have been glad to have a local sponsor they can pass their males on to.”

“It’s often the way,” Florence advised. “People start off thinking something is going to be appalling and then they discover it’s a real benefit.”

“It doesn’t make it any easier to get new ideas introduced, though.”

“Absolutely. The Junior Mistress training programme is in the same class, I think. Sunrise say they are making progress with the first batch and I’m hoping we can make an announcement on it shortly. Would it be a good idea to for your department and mine to co-host it? Johannsen’s always happy to see Departments showing that they’re talking to one another.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.