Problems and Solutions - Cover

Problems and Solutions

Copyright© 2017 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 27

Patrick got home only a little past noon. He was clearly somewhat depressed, and Rachel winkled the tale out of him.

“Don’t let it get you. Reality is like that. Nonetheless, I want to bring a new Hollister into the world.”

“Right. And I want to help.”

Later, Rachel asked: “Dress nice?”

“I think so.”

“Then we’d best drive. OK?”

“Yes. I’m going to shower first.”

“Me first, I’ll need to dry my hair!”

Later, Rachel asked: “What’s still irking you?”

“I’m bothered by Craig’s pointing out how frequently since 1788 the European has swindled the Australian.”

“That’s not singular: the French, the Spanish and the English all did that in the Western Hemisphere and the Dutch, the Germans and the Belgians were involved in sub-Sarahan Africa.”

“True. Sad, but true. In fact, the Portuguese in Brazil and the Russians on the Pacific coast were also involved. Though I don’t know whether the Russians ever had any dealings with the Amerinds.” [There were several conflicts between the Aleuts and the Russians in the 1760s and the “Battles of Sitka” in 1802 and 1804 played an important role in Tlingit history. See Vinkovetsky, Russian America: An Overseas Colony of a Continental Empire, 1804–1867. New York, 2011.]

“Anyway, the Eskimos, the Amerinds, the African tribes and the Australians had no way of standing off the Europeans militarily.”

“That’s true. It’s the cheating and duplicity that bother me. Declaring Australia uninhabited! That gets me.”

“But Kipling felt that way, too. Remember, the Rhinoceros is in ‘the desolate and Exclusively Uninhabited Interior which abuts on the islands of Mazanderan, Socotra, and the Promontories of the Larger Equinox’.”

Patrick laughed. “Right. The Parsee doesn’t count as an inhabitant!”

“And the Just-so Stories were published in 1902!”

“So there we are! And Kipling was talking about India.”

“He was talking about the British Empire.”

“Oh, don’t forget that a few years earlier he advocated the US taking over the Philippines.”

“Did he really?”

“Yes. It’s a rather offensive poem called ‘The White Man’s Burden’. Someone cited it in a submission to the journal.”

“Enough of that! There’s a space!”

Gordy was already at a table ... alone.

“Surprise! Happy Birthday!”

“Thank you. I got a really super gift from my best spouse.”

“What did the remainder of the harem gift you?”

“That’s for me to know, papa.”

“What was it?”

“A copy of the new AND.”

“That is nice. I was looking at a copy at Dymock’s last week. But it seems to have been sold ... oh!” he glanced at a smiling Rachel. “I guess I know who bought it.”

“I think you’ve puzzled it out, Nayland Smith.”

We ordered.

“Well, what’s been transpiring on the Native Title front?” Gordy asked.

“Hard to know. Sean and Craig are quite excited. I’ve not heard from the politicoes since last week, but I think I’ve a notion ... which is what has Sean and Craig agitated.”

“To wit?”

“I noticed a discrepancy between an entry in the list of Native Title applications and the list of the NNTT. It apparently indicates that the malfeasance occurred at the data entry level. As though a bank teller ‘neglected’ to credit an account. Or, more likely, credited a different beneficiary.”

“Interesting.”

“Yes. And Sean appears to believe that forensic analysis on the part of the AG’s office will uncover the culprit or culprits.”

“And you think?”

“I think too few criminals of a financial type are caught and punished. Theft and assault are treated differently. Harm someone and the law will incarcerate you; impoverish them and get a wrist slapped, if anything.”

“That’s very cynical for a young birthday-boy.”

“Perhaps. But only this morning Craig pointed out how frequently since 1788 the European has swindled the Australian.”

“Sad, but true. As part compensation, happy birthday.” Gordy produced an envelope from his breast pocket and handed it to Patrick.

“Should I open it?”

“As you please. You can wait. It’s neither perishable nor volatile.”

“Open it!” said Rachel.

“Yes, dear.”

“You’ve trained him well.”

Patrick used a finger to tear the flap and removed and unfolded a piece of paper. He glanced at it and asked: “A practical joke?”

“No. Serious. It’s the last of your legacy.”

“And that last number is real?”

“As of last week, I think.”

“That’s a lot of dosh.”

“Show it to Rachel, so she doesn’t explode.”

She looked, and said: “One million, five hundred and twenty thousand, five hundred and thirty-one dollars and six cents. What does it mean?”

“It means we can buy a house when we want to.”

“Gordy, please explain this.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.