Tales From Mist World
Chapter 14: A Rude Awakening and Departure

Copyright© 2017 by Anotherp08

Jake’s dreamed of him and Catherine standing on the bridge of the Karenna sailing the skies. In the dream, Catherine was holding their infant son. The eels were there along with many tiny eels floating around them. The dream changed, Jake was laying in his bed. Catherine was lightly stroking his face. Then she kissed him and covered him with a blanket. The dream ended and he drifted deeper into slumber. He was awoken by a knock on his cabin door.
Jake sat up looking around. It took a few seconds to remember where he was. He didn’t remember fetching the blanket that pooled in his lap. The knock came again. He turned and put his feet on the floor as he pushed the blanket off him on to the couch. He was about to call for the person to enter, when the door was thrown open. Jake had never met the man that filled his sitting room door. He was a tall man with broad shoulders. He had a few extra pounds to go with his age and greying hair. Behind him Jake could see a middle-aged man of similar build and disposition. The anger on the two men’s faces said they were considering violence.
When they came through his door into the room, Jake started to reach for his pistol. The older man’s words stopped him. “Where is my niece?” the man demanded angrily.

“What?” Jake shook his head trying to clear the sleep. “Who are you, and who is your niece?” Jake asked.
The unnamed man stopped at the back of the love seat across from where Jake was still sitting. He looked Jake up and down. His face said he wasn’t very impressed with what he saw. He cocked one eyebrow when he noticed the weapons on the table. The second man stepped next to him scowling at Jake even more. “I am the Tomas Bedford, the chief executor to the Duchess of Bedford, and her uncle. Now if you’ll tell me where the duchess is, you can go back to sleeping the day away.”
The man’s tone and attitude angered Jake. The man had didn’t know that Jake had been up until almost two in the morning preparing to leave. Jake glanced at the clock. It was half past eight. Jake sighed and stood. He had no wish to argue with Catherine’s uncle. He said, “I’m Captain Jake Harrow. I had been looking forward to meeting you. I had hoped for better circumstances, and to make a better first impression.”

“I have never been impressed with laziness.” Catherine’s uncle said.

“We were up late last night loading the Valkyrie and moving my belongings in to the cabin. Catherine,” the man flinched at hearing him use her name. “and her maid organized my quarters while I was supervising the cargo loading. I found them asleep in my bunk at 2:00 this morning. That is why you found me asleep on my sitting room couch. I’ll see if they’re awake.” He walked to the door and knocked. When no answer came for several seconds he knocked again. There was still no answer. He opened the door calling her name.
Jake found the room empty and the bed neatly made. There was no sign of the women or the eels. He turned to inform her uncle and noticed a folded piece of parchment on the table. He returned to the couch to retrieve it. “Let me get this straight. My niece slept in your bed, and you claim to have slept on the couch. And now, you have no idea where she is. Does that about sum up the situation?”
Jake froze as he bent to retrieve the folded paper. Then stood up. He glared at the man across from him. “Are you implying that something inappropriate happened? If you are, that would be very unfortunate. I’ve already wounded one man this week defending your niece’s honor. Insult me all you like. I don’t care. Insult her and I’ll spill your blood across that expensive love seat. I have no wish to do so, but I will. I will not let any man impugn Catherine’s honor, not even her uncle.” Jake’s glare dared the man to do so.
Tomas Bedford was fairly impressed with man before him. Sure, he had found the man asleep on his couch. He could understand the situation in which that occurred though, and he believed what he said happened. Furthermore, the man stood there in his bare feet and threatened Tomas over his slight to his niece, and did so with the casual certainty he could and would follow through on his threat. Yes, Tomas was impressed by Captain Harrow. He said, “I apologize for miss-speaking. I did not mean to imply you or my niece had done anything improper. I was just trying to clarify the situation.”
Jake nodded his acceptance of the apology and bent to retrieve the parchment. He didn’t see Tomas’s eyes widen or the man stiffen as he reached towards the weapons on the table. When he stood up holding the folded paper Jake said, “I imagine this will shed some light on her location. Though I’m willing to bet she went shopping.” Jake opened the page and read it.

My Love,
We wanted to get an early start. Both Rebecka and I are sorry for denying you the comfort of your bed. Please know it was unintentional. You’ll will be happy to know I found sleeping in your bed rather comfortable. I am sure I would have found it more so if you had been there with me. I am sorry you were forced to sleep on the couch.
I decided not to wake you and will leave word to wake you at nine, and not before then. We are taking the launch, and two crewmen, to my secret black-market skirt supplier. As you called it. Everyone else is eating as I write this. I’ll take Grace and Gail with me.
I hope you slept well, and had pleasant dreams of me. We will be back well before noon. I have no intention of having a sore bum.
Love
Catherine

It was what Jake figured. He winced inward at reading her comment of sharing his bed. It was what he longed for, but it couldn’t happen until they were married. He sighed and folded the page. Then looked to Catherine’s uncle and said, “It is as I figured. She took some women and the launch to purchase divided skirts for their trip.” Seeing the man didn’t understand he explained. “I have been informed, that divided skirts are much more practical on an airship. They allow their wearer to easily ascend or descend stairs or ladders. They make entering and exiting a launch much easier. I was further informed, that with them there isn’t the fear of the wind blowing up you skirt and exposing your unmentionables while you stroll the deck.”
Tomas grinned at Jake. It was the first friendly gesture the man had made. “I don’t suppose it was my niece that informed you of those facts, was it?”
Jake smiled, “As I recall it was. When she was traveling on the Bulldog, one of my officers asked about why the ladies all wore divided skirts. That was Catherin’s reply to the question.” The man besides Tomas was frowning at Jake. Jake hoped it was a temporary thing. “We had been informed you wouldn’t arrive until next week. How is it I find you here this morning?”
Tomas’s grin spread and he replied. “You mean, how is it I’m here a week early accosting you in bare feet in your sitting room? We sent that message as a ruse then left in the middle of the night. We took one of my brother’s faster airships. He has, or had quite a collection. The one we brought is a small light freighter that was converted to a passenger ship. He bought it when it came in second many years ago, at the Royal Regalia. Then he had it refit with better engines, and a larger mast. He had the interior modified as well. The next year she won the regalia. My brother managed to keep the cup for three years. That was all before Catherine was born. We made the trip in four days. Not a record or anything but it was a quick trip. Now I have a question for you. Catherine didn’t tell me why she wanted me to come. All she said was she had urgent need of me and the matter was of importance to the duchy. Do you know what this matter is?”
Jake thought hard. What was he supposed to say? Then an idea popped in his head. “I believe I may have some inkling as to her reasons for asking you to come. However, it would break her confidence to speak on the matter.”
Her uncle frowned at that. Then asked, “Fine tell me this then. Are the two of you in love?”

“I will not speak for Catherine, but I will say I love her very much.” Jake said.

“I thought as much. Any chance you’ll let me read that note? I assume it is from her.” Tomas said pointing to the note still in Jake’s hand. Jake shook his head. “I thought not. I think I know why I was sent for. Have you asked her to marry you yet?” his question made the man next to him grit his teeth. Jake thought the man Tomas’s son. Perhaps he was wrong.
Jake frowned and said. “No sir. I haven’t.”

“You plan to, though right?”

“I am considering doing so. However, there are things I must accomplish before I feel you, and the rest of her family will feel I am worthy of asking the question. I do believe to be able to ask her in the near future.”

“I see. You said earlier your officers when referring to the Bulldog. If I remember correctly that’s a crown airship.” Jake nodded his agreement. “Are you a serving officer in the corps?”

“No. though, I am still in the crown reserve. Do to certain circumstances I was given temporary command of the Bulldog. Your niece and her party were moved to the Bulldog for their safety. We brought them to Innis when the Dame Hellen was damaged. The day after returning I was replaced as the Bulldog’s Captain, and released back to reserve status.”

“What do you do for a living Captain?”
Jake sighed, then said, “Normally I own and captain an eeler. I still own the Lady’s Dream. Catherine asked me to captain the Val for the duration of the endeavor we are about to undertake. I agreed to her request. Sir, as you pointed out I’m barefoot and in yesterday’s clothes. I wish to continue this conversation. Would it be possible to do so after I’ve changed? I’ll have a pot of caff and some food brought in and we can sit and eat. I’ll answer as many of your questions as I am able to without breaking confidence. Maybe you’ll even introduce me to your companion.” Jake glanced to man next to Catherine’s uncle.
Tomas chuckled. “I’m glad I left my wife back at the guest house. If she were here, she would have been chewing on me long before now. She hates when I’m rude to people.” He motioned to the man next to him, and said, “This is my youngest Bruce. My wife and I had three boys. My oldest Carl is at the capitol as the representative of the Bedford Duchy. My middle son David, is in Bedford, seeing to the running of the duchy in mine and Catherine’s absence. My wife and I helped to raise Catherine. We have always thought of her like a daughter.” He paused and looked Jake over again and smiled. “Go get yourself situated. I’ll wait for you in here, and send Bruce to fetch my wife. Now that I know she’ll be coming back here, I think I want some reinforcements.”
Jake stepped to the wall and pressed a button three times. Catherine had told him the button rang a small bell and turned on a light in the galley. She told all he had to do was press the button three times and someone would come to see what he needed. He hadn’t thought he would use it much when she had explained the system to him. Yet, here he was on his first morning already using it. He gathered his boots and weapons belt. Then added the blanket and his jacket to his other arm. A pleasant looking young woman came through the door carrying a tray. She placed the tray on the low table and said, “The lady said not to disturb you before nine.” She threw the two other men a glare of disapproval. “She said you had been up late ensuring everyone and everything was properly stowed away. She was very addiment that you were to be allowed your rest. I brought a pot of caff and sweet rolls. The cook is making you ham and eggs with grits. The lady ordered it for your breakfast.” She looked to the two men frowning again. then asked, “Should I inform the cook you’ll have guests for breakfast?”
Tomas said, “We’ve already eaten. I won’t turn down a cup of caff or a sweet roll if offered though.” He smiled at the young women, hoping to slate her ire.

“Please, help yourself to both. I’ll be a few minutes showering and changing.” He turned his attention to the cook’s assistant and said, “This Tomas Bedford. The lady’s uncle. He came here to speak to her. He’ll be waiting for her to return. Please see to anything he requests. I apologize I can’t remember you name.”

“It’s May sir. Well, my name is Maybell, but everyone calls me May.”

“Very well, thank you for bringing in the caff and rolls May. Please inform the cook it’ll be about ten minutes before I’m ready to eat. Tomas, Bruce, if you’ll excuse me.” Jake went into the sleep compartment and closed the door behind him. he quickly stripped down and went to shower. He shaved and changed into a set of work clothes. He considered downing a nicer set, but figured it was too late to make a good first impression. Besides, he didn’t want to have to change later. He checked himself in the mirror and shrugged at his reflection. He could use a haircut, but other than that he looked ok.
Tomas was waiting on the love seat sipping caff. His small plate had a third of a large roll remaining. When he saw Jake, he said, “I must compliment your cook. These sweet rolls are some of the best I have ever eaten. They are light like a pastry with just the right amount of sweetness. It seems some cooks make them far to sugary. These are perfect. I almost feel bad for sending Bruce off.” He cut another piece and put it in his mouth with a smile.
Jake smiled. He was happy the man was enjoying the roll. He sat and poured a cup of caff. Then took a long sip of the hot liquid. It tasted wonderful. “I’m glad you’re enjoying the sweet roll. I’ll make sure the cooks hear of your compliment.”

“May asked me to tell you your breakfast would be ready when you were. She said if you pushed the call button, she would bring it right up. She did mention we should move to your dining room though. I’m afraid the young woman hasn’t yet forgiven me for waking you.” He took a drink of caff and pondered for a moment. Then said, “My father taught me, you should never anger a servant. There are a hundred little ways they can show their displeasure while still doing their job. Those little things can add up and make your life much less enjoyable. I’m telling you this as a sort of piece offering.” Jake cocked his eyebrow at the statement. “My niece is a very strong willed young woman. I have no delusions I will change her mind. Once she has something set in her mind you have a better chance of lifting the mist than forcing her to change it. My brother was the same way. They both have always listened to council and on occasion you can shift them a little. I’m telling you this because, I’m fairly sure I’m here to learn she intends for the two of you to wed. If she’s decided that, then nothing I can say or do will alter her course. I’m hopeful we can become friends.”

“I would very much like that sir.” Jake said.

“Please call me Tom. I get enough sirs from the staff around me. Shall we move to your dining room so you can eat. Maybe if we do. May will forgive my mistake earlier.”
Jake and Tomas talked while Jake ate his breakfast and Tomas ate a second roll. Jake spoke of his family and his upbringing. He mentioned the academy and serving in the corps. He told the older man of how and why he had left the service. Tomas listened and asked a few questions. When Jake down played his award from the service Tomas decided he would look in to his record. He had planned to do so anyway. Jake’s casual statement of the metals being a morale booster made him eager to learn the truth.
Just before ten the two were back in the sitting room talking and enjoy more caff. Catherine burst through the door saying, “We’re back love. Well before noon. You will have to come up with another plan to try to spank my rear end. I...” she trailed off as she rounded the love seat and saw her uncle sitting there. He looked less than happy at her comment. Jake groaned inside. “Uncle Tommy what are you doing here? You’re not supposed to be here until next week.” Her tone said his being there was ruining her plans.

“Good morning to you Catherine. Yes, I missed you as well. Your summons said it was a matter of import to the duchy. So, we slipped on to the Reena’s Pride and came as fast as we could. What is this about him spanking you?”
Catherine blushed. She shook head as if refusing to answer. Then walked over and kissed Jake. Then sat next to him. Once she was seated she said, “I’m glad you two have met. Jake and I have plans for our future. Those plans will involve you. We’ll discuss them later in private. You said we. Who else is here with you?”

“Your attempt to change the subject won’t work. I sent Bruce to fetch your aunt. They should be here shortly. Now explain the planned spanking to me please?”
Catherine waved off the comment. “Oh, it was a wager Jake and I had. We bet on whether or not I could take several women shopping and be done before noon. I won, so it doesn’t matter. Of course, I kind of cheated, not really but kid of.” She turned to Jake and asked, “Does that mean I forfeit, since I cheated. I’ve never really made a bet with someone.”

“That depends on how and if you really cheated.” Said her uncle. “How exactly did you cheat?”
She turned back to him and smiled. “When I learned that several women needed skirts for this trip last night, I stacked the odds in my favor. I sent messages to a dozen shops of our need for divided skirts in various styles sizes and colors. I told them I would be at the Regency hotel ball room at eight thirty with a party of women. To purchase said skirts, and guaranteed them sales if they were there on time and with quality merchandise. The hotel was happy to rent me the room for the morning at a very reasonable rate. We were there and were able to get everyone several skirts in only an hour. I even purchased some for the serving staff of the Val. I hope I got the sizes right.” She shook her head. Then asked the two men, “Does that count as cheating?”

“I would think not. Unless the wager stated you had to go to multiple shops.” Her uncle said.

“Nope. You won. I don’t think you cheated either. You showed both skill and cunning with the way you achieved your goal. Beside this means we can depart at noon as planned. That was the terms of the wager. I’m glad you are back though. As I have something I need to do before we leave.” He stood and she followed him up.
She asked, “What do you need to do?”

“It’s something I need to get. I just thought of it. It shouldn’t take me long, but it is very important for our success.

“What is it?” she asked.
“It would take too long to explain. I’ll need to hurry. I’ll tell you later.” As he turned to leave Grace moved to his arm and hummed softly over his shoulder. Jake rubbed her head. He had missed her this morning.

“Oh, that reminds me. Duke Innis sent a message to inform me that our eels are safe. He went on to say, his grandnephew was under the weather and had left the city suddenly. The duke informed me, he had sent him to convalesce on the family’s retreat for several months if not longer. He assured me, I or rather we, would not be bothered by him or his family in the future. He was rather addiment on the fact.” She beamed at Jake as she told him of her triumph.

“What’s this about the duke and his grandnephew?” Tomas asked.

“It’s nothing. Jake dueled the fool and beat him soundly. He tried to take revenge on us through the eels. And some other machinations. He failed. I sent the duke a warning and he took care of the matter. I’ll tell you later.”

“I need to hurry.” Jake said.
Catherine gave him a hug and a quick kiss. Then said, “Then hurry. Uncle Tommy and I will go to my suite and talk. We have a lot to discuss, and a few things to decide. I’ll fill you in when you get back. Um, Jake, can I tell him where we going and why? We can trust him completely. If he brought the Pride, he has another ten men that we could add to your roster. I’d be happy to lease it and them to you. Please I’d like my aunt and uncle to come.”
Jake didn’t answer he turned and went to cabin. When he came back he had his satchel. He took out the two folios. He moved the Karenna’s plan to a second one due to their bulk. He handed the folios to Catherine. He said, “You hold our future in your hands. I trust you. I’d ask that you not tell the Pride’s crew. None of the other crews know yet. Though if you think he’s trustworthy you should include your cousin.”

“Of course, not. Only my aunt and uncle. I promise.” She gave him a tight hug and a deep kiss. “I love you Jake. Your words about this being our future...” she trailed off, then wiped at her eyes. “just know I love you. Now go and hurry back to me.”

“I will. I wouldn’t want to be fired by the Val’s owner. I hear she has a real temper.” He grabbed his hat off the table and left her standing there clutching the folios to her chest. He caught Rebecka on her way to his quarters. He asked her a question, and got her promise not to mention she had told him. Then he made his way to ship’s launch.
He flew the launch to the landing area for the upscale shopping area of the city. Then hurried to the shop he had only heard about, but never been to. Inside he found they had what he needed. In fact, they had a large selection of them. It didn’t take him long to find one he thought was perfect. When he learned, it was the right size he purchased it on the spot. He had grabbed the heavy purse of emergency funds. This wasn’t exactly an emergency, but he didn’t want to take the time to visit his banker. While the man was writing up the purchase Jake saw something else he wanted and asked to see them. The man was happy to show his wares. The cost was a little higher than he hoped but he added them to sale as well. With his purchases tucked safely away in his Jacket pocket he returned to launch and the Valkyrie.
Grace was as excited as he was. When they landed, Jake was immediately set on by various people. Some had reports from the other ships. While others had last minute questions to ask. He learned Catherine was in her suite of rooms with her aunt and uncle. Bruce had been sent to prepare the Pride for departure. Catherine’s family it seemed would be joining them after all. May informed him his lunch would be served in his dining room after their departure per the lady’s instructions. He smiled at that. Catherine didn’t seem able to not to take charge of things around her. Jake was silently happy with the development. There were a lot of things he wasn’t good at. Planning social events and knowing all the niceties involved were high on that list. He was happy to leave those items in her care.
At 11:25 he managed to slip to his cabin and lock his purchases in the safe there. He left the satchel and his overcoat and returned to the bridge at ten to noon. Tammy Kennedy was on the bridge. She was one of the family member that transferred over to help crew the Val. He knew she was an experienced crewman. She had more experience with operating a freighter than he did, having worked on her family’s light and medium freighters for several years. He had been worried about her on the Val though. Catherine had made the decision, and told him not to worry about it. He trusted her so he tried to not worry.

“Crewman Kennedy, sound the departure warning please? Then make the rounds ten minutes to departure.” Jake said from the command chair.

“Aye, aye Captain Harrow.” She said formally. Tammy walked to the panel and pressed the button twice. One long and one short. Then she made her way off the bridge heading to give the warning.
Within a minute two of the crew were on the bridge. Russel and Nathan were two of the Val’s former crew that had been hired to stay. Both men were skilled helmsmen. Jake had reviewed their records the night before. He made Nathan Whitmore his first officer. Russel would take the Val out of port today. “Russel take the helm and prepare for departure.”

“Yes sir.” He said. He stood before the helm and began going over the controls. He called out the reading as he went. Battery charge, power generation, and so on. “Sir the Val is reading normal and ready for departure, as soon as the lines are free.”
Jake checked the time. 11:38 He had a few minutes before the warning time ended. He pulled the ship’s log from its place behind him, and folded up the writing surface on the command chair. He began to make an entry in the log to pass the time. He recorded the date and time. Then had the men read off the readings again as he wrote them in the log. It wasn’t needed or required. He saw the look that passed between the two crewmen. He said, “I won’t normally do this. Nor will I require it to be done. The ship’s engineer keeps record of all this. Since we have time before we begin our departure I figure this would help. I normally run a relaxed ship gentlemen. Except in combat or emergency I welcome questions and comments.” He looked at the time and nodded. “Mr. Whitmore if you would please cast us off.”
Nathan answered in the affirmative and took the speaking trumpet out on the deck. They heard him call the orders through the open windows of the bridge. Soon the Valkyrie drifted free of her mooring. Nathan called into the helm and Russel slowly started the Val ascending back and away from the dock. Jake was impressed with the man’s skill. The maneuver was done smoothly. He didn’t allow the Valkyrie to drift either direction in the least. The lines were brought aboard and secured. Tammy returned from her duties and took up a position at the navigator’s station. She was nominally assigned as the ships navigator.
Russel called out the altitude and distance from the dock. As they moved further from the dock he added the increase in power generation as the sun was able to reach more of the Val’s hull. The increase was fairly impressive. Most freighters had to set their sails before leaving the dock, or rely on their batteries. The Val’s skinned hull and large batteries gave he much more power, and made slipping her mooring easier since the helmsmen could see the signals from crew men at the bow. The lines were secured and the crew began setting the sails once they were clear of their mooring. Power generation increased significantly as the jib was set. The main wouldn’t be set until they cleared the port to provide the helmsmen a clearer view.
Grace was bobbing up and down over Jake’s shoulder. Her excitement grew as the Val moved higher and further from the dock. Jake had to fight back a grin as her enthusiasm was infecting him. He noticed Tammy didn’t bother. She smiled broadly at the eel’s actions. Their backwards momentum slowed and Val began to turn as Russel expertly manned the helm. He soon had the Val moving forward and gaining even more altitude. Nathan nodded to Jake as he returned to the bridge.
They continued to gain speed and rise out of the port as they made their way towards the twin lighthouses that marked the port’s boundary. Nathan kept the Val below port speed. Jake thought it was close thing though. As they gained speed the windows on the bridge were closed. With the wind blowing it was impossible to hear from the spotters, and they were no longer needed. The lookouts were in position and would signal if needed. The Val had a new system for the lookouts to signal. A representation of the ship was on the port wall of the bridge. Small lights encircled the ship’s image. When something was spotted, the lookout would use the system to turn on the proper light. Additional lights indicated if it was above below or at the same level. Light in the ship’s image showed which lookout reported the sighting.
Jake had been impressed with it when Russel and Nathan had demonstrated it. He had heard the corps had a new system they were testing and wondered if this was it. If it was, it much better than the bell system currently used on the corps ships. Catherine and her aunt and uncle came to the bridge as they made their way to the twin lighthouses. She reminded him the Pride would be joining them. It was a good thing she did as he had forgotten. They passed to the right of the twins and joined up with Lady and Gran’s four airships. They turned into the wind and powered down the engines until they were relatively motionless. Flash messages started coming in from all five of the airships already waiting.
Tammy read out the messages.

From the Lady: Ready and waiting. Who leads

From the Old shoe: Ready lead on. After a minute a second message: Cali says hi to uncle Captain Jake and his eels. (that made everyone on the bridge smile. Tammy shook her head)

Jake had Tammy send back to the Shoe: HI Cali from eels, big hug from uncle Captain Jake (Catherine said to add her too) & lady Catherine

Gran asked why they were waiting from the light freighter Miss Martha she was commanding. Jake sent back they were waiting for the Pride to arrive. Everyone settled in to wait. There wait wasn’t long. However, the Pride didn’t arrive alone. To his surprise the Bulldog came with the Pride. Jake wondered what the Bulldog’s orders were.
The Pride pulled in off the Val’s Port side. The Pride was the same size as the Lady though a little narrower. Jake waited but no message came from the Pride. Instead her launch took off and flew across to land on the Val. Bruce Hopped out and several trunks were off loaded by two crewmen. Bruce made his way to the bridge while they unloaded the trunks.
Bruce came in smiling and said, “I brought your trunks like you asked. Sorry we’re late dad. The admiral requested we allow the Bulldog to accompany us for part of our journey before she goes out on patrol.”
Tomas nodded then looked to Jake and said, “Captain Harrow, my niece has made it clear this is entirely your mission. You’re in charge. It’s your decision.” His smile said, he was glad he didn’t have to decide.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.