Metamorphosis: The Story of Marilyn Monroe
Chapter 11

 

Act Two Scene One
As the curtain opened, the music started -- Audrey and I started this scene with the Johnny/Norma verse of ‘Why?’ I was aware that the audience would give an appreciative applause at first sight of the traditional buxom, eye-dropping, gorgeous creature known to me as Audrey but to those 800, she was Marilyn Monroe.

Maurice was told about my expectations as he just kept vamping, as the wolf whistles and applause happened.

I sang my verse, and as the vamp started up for her, Maurice had added some violins, which reached a crescendo as she sang...

MARILYN
“Why tell me why,
they want me
To sing --- and to
dance –- and to laugh!
Why tell me why,
you just know that I cry
I’ll deny – that I’m high –
to the stars in the sky
Oh, Why-yy-yy-yy, tell me why?”

As we finished the song together, the applause grew again. The scene ended with a blackout.

Scenes Two and Three
The songs went quite well, and our ALL ABOUT EVE set went into place.

Scene Four
Our most complex scene, with people portraying Bette Davis, Anne Baxter, George Sanders, Celeste Holm and Gary Merrill. There was something of an ‘Ooooh’ as the curtain parted, with Marilyn walking into the scene. Jeff, who was playing Joseph Mankiewicz yelled “CUT,” and adlibbed some dialogue to all of the actors, adding, “Marilyn honey, Try it again please. You’re coming in just a beat too soon.”

Everyone scattered and Jeff yelled, “Everybody – fifteen-minute break,” as he left the stage. Marilyn walked over to the bar, poured herself a drink (of weak tea masquerading as scotch) and as the music started, she walked to downstage left, leaning against the proscenium and sang, ‘All I Want Is A Drink?’ after which they all came back to their starting position as the curtain closed.

Scene Five
Johnny argued with Marilyn about a number of things during this scene, but the most important thing was his persistence in asking her to marry him. After walking off stage, I turned and watched my marvelously talented wife, getting ready to sing the show’s finale, the reprise of ‘It Won’t Happen Again!’

For a moment, the memory of when we were talking and the idea for this song came out, came over me. Maurice started to play as,

MARILYN
“This day it is behind me now,
I thought I’d never see.
Those people watching there,
nobody’s come here for me
They all look at the screen
up at the famous movie star
Look what I’ve done –
to myself; it’s gotten so bizarre.”

“I’m not the kind of girl –
that they will want to see,
That husband I left,
should be charged with theft,
I know now life’s for me.”

“It won’t happen again,
These men are all the same
It won’t happen again
They’re all drawn to the flame”

“The day is here,
it’s here right now,
and my life it must begin
I’ve got to change my whole lifestyle,
make life - a mortal sin!”

“It won’t happen again,
I’ll reach a new plateau
It won’t happen again,
They’ll, all remember –
Marilyn Monroe!”

BLACKOUT – CURTAIN – lights back up!

The crowd stood and applauded, as the actors who had no lines came out first and bowed, next was the featured adults, next were the four Norma’s who got a loud increase in the volume of the cheers.

Jim and Gladys came out together, and then I went out to a very nice applause. Maurice started a light version of ‘I Was Born’ as Marilyn Monroe came out on stage. The wolf whistles came out again as the four Norma’s got on either side of her and they bowed together, as the curtain closed again.

After ten seconds or so I got the curtain open, and got the audience’s attention.

“Everyone, thank you for being here. A full theatre with live bodies helps an actor do his or her job to the best of their ability. I would like to personally thank John Briscoe and the Board of Directors of the Musical Underground Group along with the Zeckendorfs and the people of the Lensic Performing Arts Center, who helped put this production on here.”

“Tell your friends, that METAMORPHOSIS will be here the next four weekends, Goodnight!”

They all applauded again, as the curtain closed.

I turned to my actors and said, “Change into your street clothes, put your costumes on hangars, please?” I got Cora’s attention and said, “You were fantastic tonight, young lady!” She grinned and gave me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Some of the audience came backstage; Maurice had two couples with him.

“Richard, this is Jeff and Sandra Calhoun, and Randall and Carol Knight. They are the ‘power players’ these days at Santa Fe University.”

“Nice to meet you folks, how did you like our little show?” I asked.

“Richard, that was as original a production as I’ve seen in twenty years,” Jeff said.

“Is it true the two of you wrote this from scratch?” Randall asked.

“Yes, Audrey and I knew each other from writing before – she and I reconnected and wrote this whole show in six months, along the way falling in love and getting married,” I said.

“We know about what the theatre does to couples,” Sandra said.

“Didn’t I see you in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST recently?” I asked.

Jeff responded, “They all were - I was busy with other things.”

“What’re you doing after the run of the show?” Carol asked.

“We never had a proper honeymoon, so that’s first on our agenda. Why do you ask?” I said.

“Since you wrote this, you could put it on anywhere that paid you, correct?” Jeff asked.

“Yes, that’s right,” Audrey responded. “Is there an offer in there somewhere, Mr. Calhoun?”

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.