Metamorphosis: The Story of Marilyn Monroe - Cover

Metamorphosis: The Story of Marilyn Monroe

 

Chapter 10

The other actors all freeze on stage as the music starts to play. Maurice changed from a piano sound to an organ sound a few rehearsals ago and I liked it a lot.

MARILYN
“Everybody hears me talk,
but none of them actually care,
I’m trying my best
to rehearse all my lines,
While someone is doing my hair.”

“This whole damn movie business
is really hard to stand.
The lights, the cameras,
the lines and the people,
Have all become so grande”

“All I want is a drink.
A little scotch and soda
All I want is a drink –
and a little bit of fame”

“My life has been one big mess,
Maybe now someone
might remember my name”

“All I want is a drink;
a chance to show to them all.
All I want is a drink –
This part is too damn small.”

“Davis, and Baxter plus
Merrill and Holm,
This movie is full of
all kinds of bad gnomes
The trouble I’m having
is hard to explain
I need a big movie –
and to drink some champagne”

“All I want is a drink,
a blast of something with whiskey,
All I want is a drink,
and maybe someone to get frisky”

“Just let me show
everyone what I can do,
Maybe sing and dance,
for a movie or two.
An agent who’ll let me
show them a booby or two,”

“All I want is a drink!”

The people around her unfreeze, as Johnny comes up to her and they have the dialogue prior to the next song.

JOHNNY
“Marilyn honey, you are really good in this movie, even though your scene is small. It was all I could do to get you this part. Hang in there – good things are ahead for you, I can feel that you are on the cusp of something ... wonderful.”

MARILYN
“Oh, Johnny – thank you! All of these people just look over their noses at me. Everybody but George -- I think he wants me.”

JOHNNY
“He can’t want you as much as I do, Marilyn – You’ve turned me down every time, but I love you and want to marry you.”

MARILYN
“Oh, Johnny – stop that, you know how I feel. It doesn’t feel right to marry anyone right now. I want to become a Hollywood legend first, so I can have my pick.”

JOHNNY
“All right, I guess I understand, it won’t happen again. They want to do the scene again, when you’re ready.”

(Johnny leaves the stage)

(A very bright spotlight appears downstage left, as the music to ‘It Won’t Happen Again’ starts)

MARILYN
“This day it is behind me now,
I thought I’d never see.
Those people watching there,
nobody’s come here for me
They all look at the screen
up at the famous movie star
Look what I’ve done to myself;
it’s gotten so bizarre.”

“I’m not the kind of girl –
that they will want to see,
That guy I left, should be
charged with theft,
I know now life’s for me.”

(She walks towards the spotlight)

“It won’t happen again,
These men are all the same
It won’t happen again
They’re all drawn to the flame”

“The day is here, right here now,
my life it must begin
I’ve got to change my whole lifestyle,
make life a mortal sin!”

“It won’t happen again,
I’ll reach a new plateau
It won’t happen again,
They’ll, all remember
Marilyn Monroe!”

Everyone gets up and loves this final number. There was going to be a reprise of ‘I Was Born’ performed by all of the Norma’s, but Audrey and I agreed, that the show ended better with this testament song, showing Marilyn’s determination.

“OK EVERYBODY, TOMORROW IS A COMPLETE RUN-THROUGH OF THE SHOW!”

“Get some rest, there will be Pizza tomorrow night,” Audrey said.

As everyone started leaving, Darleen came up to me and asked, “When am I getting to rehearse as Marilyn again?”

I looked over at Audrey who said, “I need a break, you got it tomorrow all by yourself, Darleen.”

Darleen gave her a big hug and stopped long enough to give me a kiss on the cheek as she turned to leave.

“Isn’t she a doll,” I said.

“Yes, she is – but remember who her Daddy is, Richard?”

“Yeah, right.”


With having this theatre to ourselves, until our performances were over, I scheduled some additional ‘understudy only’ rehearsals, starting earlier in the evening, to get the young person’s home as early as I could.

We were two weeks from opening night; the Lensic Performing Arts Center people came through and built a beautiful couple of set pieces over the weekend. I had heard that ticket sales was brisk.

The previous week we had a photographer come and take some action shots during the rehearsal. After it was over I had both Marilyn’s pose for a picture, and they were both quite glamorous in their wigs and outfits. Audrey got the gold sequined dress while Darleen got the classic white dress Marilyn wore in THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH. It isn’t used in our show, but Mom found it, just in case, I suppose.

The photo shoot went quite well. I planned to use Audrey’s for when she’s playing the role and Darlene’s for her three performances. I had a Facebook page created for the show and put up all of the pictures online.

Bill Zeckendorf told me that the pictures were driving sales; Darlene’s performances were filling up ... just as quickly as my wife’s.

Tech week started, which included adding costumes and costume changes to the mix. The only significant changes were Marilyn’s ... having a different outfit for every time she was on stage in the second act.

Both ladies looked marvelous, with my wife in these remarkable form-fitting dresses. Darlene got a little help from Mom to ‘fill the dresses’ using a padded bra here and there. They had nearly matching cleavage!

The show itself was in great shape, Maurice being a large help to that, both as our Orchestra and as a producer of the show.

Darlene’s Dad showed up for Sunday’s rehearsal, and he was looking much better, supporting all of the actors, but giving a whoop for his daughter. At the end of the evening, which was a ‘Darlene as Marilyn rehearsal, ‘ he came up to me and said, “I told you she was good, didn’t I?”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.