Metamorphosis: The Story of Marilyn Monroe
Chapter 4

 

OK! We got a working title, twelve scenes, thirteen named songs and reprises, twenty-four characters, twenty speaking parts, and – uh, what am I missing – oh yeah, a fiancée!

We picked out our own rings, got married, but didn’t go on a honeymoon. We agreed to not go on one until we were finished creating this show. She will be a beautiful bride, and she moved in with me. Think of the show the ODD COUPLE; only she’s the slob!

One of our newer song titles is called ‘All I Want Is A Drink?’ said by her character Miss Claudia Caswell, in ALL ABOUT EVE.

“Everybody hears me talk,
but none of them actually care,
I’m trying my best
to rehearse all my lines,
While someone is doing my hair.”

“This whole damn movie business
is really hard to stand.
The lights, the cameras,
the lines and the people,
Have all become so grande”

“All I want is a drink.
A little scotch and water
All I want is a drink
and a little bit of fame”

“My life has been one big mess,
Maybe now someone might
remember my name”

“All I want is a drink.
A chance to show to them all.
All I want is a drink
This part is too damn small.”

“Davis, and Baxter
along with Merrill and Holm,
This movie is full of all
kinds of ... bad gnomes
The trouble I’m having is hard to explain
I need a big movie
and to drink some champagne”

“All I want is a drink,
a blast of something with whiskey,
All I want is a drink,
and maybe someone to get frisky”

“Just let me show
everyone what I can do,
Maybe sing, act, and dance,
for a movie or two.
An agent who’ll let me show
them a bosom or two,

All I want is a drink!”

Audrey came out of the bedroom, in shorts and a bikini top. She saw me looking and said, “My eyes are up here, hubby-to-be.”

“Yeah, but your bikini top is bursting, and I hope to be there for the fallout,” I said.

“Nyuck nyuck, hubby,” she clucked at me, looking over my shoulder, “Is that the newest song?”

“Yeah, I see it as something of a talk song, and she sings the ‘All I Want Is A Drink’ refrain.”

“Wow, this is very good,” she said walking over to the electric piano.

She started playing chords and singing with it, as Marilyn Monroe. Again, she sounded really good. “You know, you could play her as well, if not better than anyone else could?” I said, coming up behind her giving her a kiss on the neck.

“You’re getting better?”

“At what exactly?” I said.

“Everything, including your lyrics.”

“Thank you, and I still think you could blow the socks off this town, by playing this part.”

“Everyone would think you cast me because we’re engaged,” she said, stating the obvious.

“How about this; you’ll be my backup -- If the ladies who show up to audition aren’t good enough. Both OLIVER and ANNIE use a lot of ladies between 19 and 37; unless the ladies of OLIVER show up, you could have the role of your beautiful young life, Mrs. Audrey Louis.”

“Your are really getting good at compliments, this song is incredible, especially with my melody.”

She wanted to start a fight.

“You’re right, your melody is better – let me have the paper back, I’ll see if I can do better,” I said, reaching for it.

“Don’t you dare, Richard? This might be my Audition piece. I plan on winning this part because of talent, not because I’m engaged to the director!”


After five more months, the musical was finished. We went and got married, staying in town. Both Audrey and I were quite proud of the final product. We announced our auditions much sooner than tradition dictates, but we wanted the best chance for a top-notch cast. In addition, we created a Facebook page, letting people download partial scenes to work on ahead of auditions.

It didn’t take much to convince my wife to call the show, ‘METAMORPHOSIS.’ That still intrigued people, and many local actors liked the page and downloaded the various scenes.

We weren’t pre-releasing any of the music; people could audition singing anything they wanted, preferably something from any Broadway Musical.

Six weeks from auditions, there was an anonymous post on the Facebook Page, “The part of Marilyn has been Pre-cast!”

I’ve never done that before, and I went on Facebook and posted, “No Parts have been Pre-Cast – All Parts are Open!”


Audition Day came along and we had many many people show up to audition. Audrey and I had expected it and produced plenty of audition forms and scenes.

We had pre-numbered the audition forms and had given out almost 180 of them. The theatre only holds 244, so we had close to a full house ... for auditions.

I went up on stage, to a mild applause.

“I hope everyone who is trying out has received a numbered form, raise your hand if you need one?”

Audrey handed those out, and sat back down.

“OK, first thing -- welcome to Auditions for ‘Metamorphosis, ‘ the story of ‘How Norma Jeane became Marilyn Monroe.’ Today will be singing auditions first, then those who are not sent home will get a chance to do some scenes.”

A hand was raised, and I stopped and said, “Yes?”

“You’re making a cut after just singing?” the young lady asked.

“Yes, I am, everybody – we have 180 people here, which I had expected. This will be run much like a Broadway Audition. You will get a chance to sing at least 48 bars of whatever it is you wish to sing. We have a pianist on loan from Santa Fe University who will also be our orchestra, stand up Maurice.”

Most of them had heard of Maurice Lebertain, having seen BEAUTY AND THE BEAST up in Santa Fe this past year. He is a truly remarkable keyboardist. Our Board got him for me.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.