A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 5 - Michelle
Chapter 56: New Employees

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 56: New Employees - This is the continuation of the story told in "A Well-Lived Life 2", Book 4. If you haven't read the entire 10 book "A Well-Lived Life" and the first four books of "A Well-Lived Life 2" you'll have some difficulty following the story. This is a dialog driven story. The author was voted 'Author of the Year' and 'Best New Author' in the 2015 Clitorides Awards, and 'Author of the Year' in 2017.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Slow  

February 4, 1992, Chicago, Illinois

“You came to bed very late last night, Tiger.”

Jessica was standing in the shower and I was leaning against the sink.

“Sorry. The conversation just kept going and going.”

“What did you talk about?”

“Core values. Philosophy. Sin. God. She’s not confused. In fact, quite the opposite. What she is, is curious. Very curious. And not THAT way, O smirking wife!”

“Sorry,” Jessica said.

“She’s one of the most intelligent, thoughtful young women I’ve ever met. Open-minded, but very secure in her own beliefs. No philosophical parlor tricks are going to make her suddenly become wild like Becka, and abandon weakly held core beliefs. Michelle is VERY strong. I think what was bothering her was trying to figure out how I could be so adamantly opposed to abortion and divorce, yet not wish to interfere with what other people did. Those views exactly matched her Roman Catholicism, but don’t seem to make sense for someone as libertarian as I am. We talked about a lot of things, but we kept coming back to two core principles: fidelity and self-examination. And it helped me order some important thoughts.”

“Oh?” she said, getting out of the shower.

I handed her a towel and she began drying herself.

“You know I made a promise to both Bethany and Doctor Mercer that I wouldn’t become sexually involved with Bethany.”

“Yes, of course. And you haven’t broken that promise...”

“Yet,” I said, completing her thought. “And I don’t know that I will, or should. But the question of how to know when someone COULD go back on their word, and how to do it, came up. And it made me think about Bethany.”

“You still don’t know what you’re going to do about that, do you?”

“No, I don’t. She’ll be here off and on before March, and we’ll talk. But it’s not going to be resolved before she moves here no matter what, because of my traveling. I’m still struggling with how it would affect the dynamics of all of our relationships, and that’s what gives me so much pause.”

“As it should,” Jessica said, handing me the towel.

I hung the towel on the rack and followed her into the bedroom, admiring her sexy, toned butt. Kara saw where my eyes were and laughed hard.

“He’s looking at my ass, isn’t he?” Jessica asked.

“Of course!” Kara giggled. “He is still a MAN when it comes right down to it!”

“I can’t help it if I admire a sexy female form!” I said. “And neither of you are upset about the fact that I think you’re sexy!”

“Let it go, Kara!” Jessica laughed. “I have to get to work!”

“Yes, YOU do,” Kara said. “Steve could stay and we could play!”

Jessica turned around, her bra halfway on, and gave Kara a hard look, but then broke up laughing.

“I don’t have time,” I said piously. “I need to walk Jessica to work, exercise, and head for Midway for my flight to Boston, silly as it is.”

“Silly?”

“I could have done this over the phone. I have exactly one word for Art: settle. He’s being vindictive, and I think it’s stupid.”

“But you’re pissed at Jefferson!” Kara protested.

“Yes, I am. But what’s done is done. Being vindictive about it makes no sense. Just let it go. By the time we’re done, the lawyers will get more money than Art would have had to pay Jefferson in a retention bonus. He should have just given it to him. I would have in Art’s position because the fight just isn’t worth it.”

“You learned this from settling with Kaitlin?”

“And all the other stupid lawsuits I’ve been involved with in one way or another. Only the lawyers win. And they always win.”

“So why make you come there?” Kara asked.

“I’d lay money on Art wanting me to say, in front of Jefferson and his lawyer, that Jefferson stole our source code. I think he believes that will scare them into dropping the suit because they’d lose in court.”

“Would they lose in court?”

“Maybe? As Jamie keeps reminding me, and he’s not the only one, by the way, ANYTHING can happen with a jury. So, if I take the cynical view, here’s the poor, mistreated black man who was tricked into quitting a good job with a successful company to go to work for one that was, in effect, bankrupt. They made all kinds of promises which they didn’t fulfill. And then they refused to pay a bonus that was promised, verbally, to everyone. That’s going to have some play.”

“I thought he was suing just for the bonus,” Jessica said.

“I don’t know for sure, but I bet not. I may have implied that when I told you about it, but I bet it’s WAY more involved. If it were just the bonus, then pay him and be done with it. But I bet you anything it’s broader. They knew they were going under and enticed him away by lying to him. And THAT could cost Art and his partner everything we paid them. And more.”

“So why not just pay the bonus?”

“I’d guess Jefferson’s lawyers told him to hold out for more. I certainly would. The only thing Art can do is play on the stealing the software angle. But the problem is, I know their financial situation. Put me on the stand, and Jefferson’s lawyer is going to get me to tell the jury that Art’s a liar and that he deceived Jefferson.”

“Do you think that’s true?” Kara asked.

“I think the facts weigh in Jefferson’s favor in front of a jury,” I said. “Truth isn’t really important.”

“Wow, Tiger, you’ve become very cynical!”

“I do believe your mentor has the same view of lawyers and hospital administrators,” I grinned.

“True.”

“And the line from The Godfather is very true: ‘One lawyer with a briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns’.”

February 4, 1992, Natick, Massachusetts

“What’s the settlement offer?” I asked after shaking hands with Art.

“Right to the point, eh? $200,000. But the suit is for $1,000,000.”

“Too much. Offer them $25,000 plus his legal fees so far and call it a day.”

“Seriously? Why?”

“You’ll lose in court. Or, rather, you run a very big risk of losing in court.”

“How so? He stole your software. You say that and he’s toast!”

“And when his lawyer asks me about your financial situation? I’ve seen your books, remember? I know you were on the way to bankruptcy when you hired him. I know you wanted a quick settlement from us to bail you out and give you breathing room to negotiate a big settlement from Nelson, Reed, and Pulver. Our money, plus the contract renewals, would have let you survive through most of this year. And if you got half-a-million-bucks, or more, from Nelson, then you would have been in OK shape for another year, which would have been long enough to get your major new release out.”

“You’d throw me under the bus?” Art asked, incredulous.

“I’d tell the truth,” I said firmly. “I’m sure as hell not going to perjure myself! Yes, he stole our source code. Absolutely. And maybe, just maybe, that wins it for you. But why risk it? You’ll spend more than $25,000 on lawyers! I’ve been in a situation like this before. To be honest, you should have paid him the bonus. That would have prevented this entire lawsuit. Well, most likely.”

“I thought you hated the guy!”

“No. I’m angry with what he did, and I’d never trust him, nor would I hire him in the future. But I don’t wish him, or anyone, ill.”

Not quite true. There was a prisoner in the Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth that I wished EVERY ill upon, but that was a different matter and Art didn’t need to know about that.

“He’s a real piece of work!”

“Art, this is business, not personal. Settle. I’m surprised your liability carrier didn’t insist on it.”

“We never carried that kind of insurance. I wouldn’t give up the control.”

I smiled, “Tell me about it! That almost did us in with you. I’m considering my options for when it’s time to renew that policy. As one businessman to another, settle. It’s the only way out.”

“You think he’ll take $25,000?”

“Maybe, but even at twice that, it’s better than $200,000 or worse, $1,000,000, plus legal fees, his and yours. That money lets him move back to Chicago if he wants to, or tides him over until he finds a new job, or whatever.”

Art took a deep breath and blew it out.

“I made a tactical error.”

I nodded, “So fix it. As cheaply as possible. Offer less if you want, but I have a gut feeling that number is the right one.”

“How?”

“Call it life experience. I’ve had my fill with lawyers and lawsuits, trust me.”

“Let’s walk across the street to Shapiro’s offices. That’s where the meeting is.”

We left the office and five minutes later I was cooling my heels in the reception area while Art met with Samuel Shapiro. While I was waiting, Jefferson and a woman whom I assumed was his attorney came in. They sat down on the opposite side of the lobby, and I nodded to Jefferson. He nodded back, his face set and grim.

About ten minutes later they were called in, while I remained sitting in the lobby. I was, as I had expected, a prop. I was there to scare Jefferson into abandoning the suit, or, as I’d suggested to Art, settling for a lot less. It was thirty minutes before they came out again. In that time, I’d decided on a course of action based on what I’d learned from Kara many years ago.

“Jefferson, do you have a moment?” I asked.

“You shouldn’t speak with him,” his attorney said firmly.

He ignored her and followed me out to the hallway where the elevators were.

“Look, I’m not going to lecture you. There’s no point in doing that. I will do one thing for you. If you need a reference, I’ll provide one. On one condition.”

“What?! Why? After what I did?”

“You were snookered by BLS. I’m sure of it. They waved dollar signs in your face, and enticed you to leave us for a job that really didn’t exist.”

“What’s the condition?”

“You look me in the eye and promise me that you will never, ever, do anything like this again. And mean it.”

He looked me directly in the eyes, “I will never ever betray someone that way ever again.”

I nodded, “Good. Go thou and sin no more! You just got your second chance. Use it wisely. There’s not likely to be a third one.”

He extended his hand and I took it, and we shook firmly.

“Why?” he asked.

“Because I’ve betrayed someone in the past, and been given a second chance. Remember that, too.”

“Thanks. I don’t know what to say.”

I nodded and I went back inside while he stayed in the hallway.

“What was that about?” Art asked.

“Did you get your settlement agreement?”

“Yes. For the number you suggested. So what was going on there?”

“Forgiveness and a second chance. Everyone deserves one.”

“You’re not hiring him?!”

“Oh HELL no!” I chuckled. “But I will give him a reference. I think he’s suffered enough.”

“You are a strange man, Steve.”

“So I keep being told! And perhaps, with your new firm, you’ll consider hiring him.”

“Why the hell would I do that?”

I smiled, “Because he did your bidding, AND he’s a good programmer. Call it reparations, if you will.”

“You are a VERY strange man, Steve.”

I smiled, nodded, and we shook hands.

Five hours later I was sitting at Legal Seafood with Ally, her husband Vincent, K, and Cèlia. It hadn’t surprised me when Kelly, who insisted on being called K, had said she didn’t have a boyfriend. That fit the picture she’d drawn of not liking Boston and not having any friends in the city. I’d also been completely unsurprised when Cèlia didn’t bring a date. We had just finished our meal and were drinking coffee.

“Your friend Mr. Shaughnessy is an interesting guy,” Vincent said. “And his business partner is really ex-KGB?”

“Lieutenant Colonel Yekatarina Sergeyevna Anisimova, KGB, retired!” I grinned. “I first met her when she was a major. That was back in 1981 in Chicago, when she was in charge of a protection detail for some Russian friends of mine. I dated one of her charges for a bit. That young woman is now the Deputy Chargé d’Affaires at the Russian embassy in Vienna. That young woman’s husband, also a friend of mine, is a General in the Russian army.”

“That has to be a hell of a story!”

“You can read the novelization some day!” I laughed. “I take it he found something for you?”

“Actually, several somethings. There’s an opening with the Cook County Sheriff’s office for a detective captain that I’ve applied for. That’s the job I really want. Another option is a security consultant role with a Chicago firm that Mr. Shaughnessy does a lot of business with. That would be a good role as well, though I’d rather stay a sworn officer. There are a couple of others, too.”

“Are you staying in Boston until you get the job?”

“Yes. Even with the generous relocation package, we can’t go for a couple of months that it’s going to take to get the job without my salary. And I do have one particularly important case I want to see through. Thanks for the offer of the apartment and childcare.”

“You’re welcome. We really wanted your wife to come work for us.”

“It’s going to be odd living someplace other than Boston. We’ve been in the area our whole lives. Even when I was an Army MP, I was stationed in Massachusetts.”

“I think you’ll love Chicago,” K said. “There is plenty of culture, but it’s way more laid back and mellow than Boston. People are friendlier, too. And less formal.”

“I noticed that,” Ally said. “We always called the boss, ‘Mr. Drake’, but Steve insisted we call him by his given name.”

“I think you’ll find our team is much closer-knit than you had here,” I said. “But they don’t exclude the new folks, either. It’s not cliquish. I mean, yes, there are people who hang out together, but the teams are true teams. You’ll see when you get there.”

“We heard that from Jefferson,” Ally said. “He seemed to regret leaving, even before the buyout was announced. He only ever said really good things about you.”

Which confirmed for me that I’d done the right thing earlier. The man had made a mistake and regretted it. Some people, Dante chief amongst them, might see what I’d done for him today as a weakness, but I thought it was a strength. To see past the mistake. I had been given so many second chances. And third chances. To refuse to give him a chance to redeem himself would be a slap in the face to people like Kara and Jennifer.

“We were sad to see him leave us,” I said. “But people have to make their own decisions. We each do what we think is best. Sometimes that backfires. It did in this case. I have a feeling he’ll pull himself up and find a place where he can be successful.”

“What’s Chicago like?” Cèlia asked.

K looked at me and I nodded and she launched into one of the best sales pitches I’d ever heard. She could easily have been working for Mayor Daley’s Tourism Office. It showed just how much she missed the city as she gushed over the Cubs, Bulls, and Hawks, the museums, the architecture, the lake, the restaurants, and the people.

“You really miss it,” I said.

“Yes,” K said. “I was at my wits’ end. I pretty much would have done ANYTHING to get back to Chicago. I had contacted a couple of recruiters to try to help me find a job but wasn’t having much luck because nobody wanted the expense of flying me in for an interview. I could move back, but making multiple trips I had to pay for just wouldn’t cut it. I wasn’t making that much money, when you consider how expensive the Boston area is. This buyout was a godsend!”

“I can’t believe you just walked in and asked for a job!” Cèlia said.

“What did I have to lose? The worst possible outcome was that he said ‘no’! We were all out of jobs at the end of the month, anyway.”

“Sometimes, you just have to go for it,” I said. “If you sit back and wait for life to come to you, you’ll miss out. K did the right thing. She saw an opportunity, and seized it.”

Carpe diem?” Ally asked.

“Exactly. Though I prefer the original meaning whereby one should do ones very best today to improve the future. It’s kind of come to mean the opposite these days.”

“Like ‘wicked’ meaning ‘very’ in Boston?” K smirked.

“Hey now!” Ally laughed.

“It’s more like ‘kill all the lawyers’ in Shakespeare meaning how you go about setting up a totalitarian system rather than improving the system as it means now. There are quite a few things like that that, out of context, mean the opposite of what the original author intended.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.