A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 5 - Michelle
Chapter 5: I’ll Take Sweden!

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 5: I’ll Take Sweden! - This is the continuation of the story told in "A Well-Lived Life 2", Book 4. If you haven't read the entire 10 book "A Well-Lived Life" and the first four books of "A Well-Lived Life 2" you'll have some difficulty following the story. This is a dialog driven story. The author was voted 'Author of the Year' and 'Best New Author' in the 2015 Clitorides Awards, and 'Author of the Year' in 2017.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Slow  

July 4, 1991, Chicago, Illinois

“Who put these in my bag?” I asked with an exaggerated frown, holding up two boxes, each containing a dozen condoms.

“We did!” Kara giggled.

“I thought we talked about this,” I said.

“We did,” Jessica said. “If the opportunity arises, use your best judgment.”

“What about the rules?” I asked.

“I suspect anyone who is available will be properly prepared,” she answered. “You’ve already made it clear you aren’t going to chase anyone.”

“Then why bother with the rubbers? And why two dozen?”

“Because opportunity always seems to fall into your lap,” Kara giggled. “So to speak! And we know you quite well!”

“And I’ll return with the boxes unopened,” I said.

“Only if you are SURE they’re on the Pill!” Jessica said, laughing. “Your vasectomy isn’t for another few months!”

“Now I know you’re just teasing me!” I said.

“Tiger, I’m deadly serious. If the opportunity arises, use your best judgment. We trust you.”

I shook my head and tossed the boxes back into my bag. I could honestly say that I had absolutely no intention of using them, and given the rules, it was unlikely a true opportunity would arise, even if there was an available girl. I’d get grief for bringing the boxes home, but so be it. I zipped the bag and slipped the luggage padlock through the two zippers and snapped it shut. I grabbed my carry-on bag and the suitcase, and the three of us headed downstairs. I put my bags in the trunk of the BMW, and then went into the coach house to get Jesse.

“He’s been bouncing off the walls!” Josie whispered when I walked in.

“I bet!” I chuckled, then called out, “Jesse, time to go!”

“Yes!” he shouted gleefully. “Sweden and Russia! Finally!”

“We’ll follow you in my car with Birgit,” Josie said. “You take Jesse with you and your wives.”

I’d made the mistake of suggesting that Jesse ride with his moms to the airport and I was lucky to have survived that foolish notion. Jesse had nearly exploded when I said that Birgit would ride with us. This was his trip, and he was going to be damned if he let his little sister interfere. And he had made that abundantly clear in the way only a five-year-old could.

“Yeah, I got THAT message loud and clear!” I chuckled.

An hour later, Melanie met us at the SAS departure desk.

“Sorry to drag you out here for no good reason,” I said. “I don’t think the FBI agents are here.”

“Me either, but Ben Jackson was adamant. I get his point - if you show that you’re prepared for anything they might try, they’ll be less likely to try. I’ll be here when you fly home as well.”

I nodded, “That’s more difficult. I know from last time they can detain me at passport control or customs and you can’t do anything about it.”

“Want to bet?” she laughed. “If you don’t come out in the appropriate time, phone calls will be made and we’ll get a Federal judge involved. Your friend Ben has his own friends in VERY high places.”

“So it would seem! Let me get our boarding passes, and you can walk us to security.”

Jesse and I got into the short line for SAS Business Class and less than ten minutes later were back with boarding passes in hand. My wives, Jesse’s moms, and Melanie walked us to security where we all exchanged hugs and kisses, including the predicted soul-searing French kiss from Melanie.

“I hope the FBI got photos of THAT,” I chuckled when she released me from the hug that accompanied the kiss.

Everyone said their goodbyes, I got an extra kiss from Birgit, and then Jesse and I got into the security line. Once we were through, we turned and waved to everyone, then headed for our gate. SAS was efficient as ever; we boarded on time and pulled away from the gate on time, only to have to wait in line for takeoff. Twenty minutes after we should have been airborne, the pilot finally pushed the throttles forward and we hurtled down the runway.

July 5, 1991, Arlanda Airport, Stockholm, Sweden

Jesse had finally conked out five hours into the flight. He hadn’t quite been bouncing off the bulkheads of the Business Class cabin, but it had been close. One of the stewardesses, a cute, young, blonde woman named Greta had made it her mission to keep him in check. She’d done a wonderful job, and in other circumstances, I’d have flirted with her and hoped to see her during her layover in Stockholm. I knew that wasn’t to be, because nearly every second of every day was planned.

“We’re here, Jesse!” I said as I got our carry-on bags from the overhead compartment.

“What do I do?” he asked.

“Just follow me. We have to show them our passports and then Karin, Kristian, and Kjell will meet us.”

“Your girlfriend?” he asked.

“She used to be, yes. But we haven’t kissed since before you were born.”

“And they have only one boy?”

“Yes. That’s Kjell. And you’ll meet my friend Pia and her daughter Marta.”

“She was your girlfriend?”

I chuckled, “Yes. A long time ago. When I was seventeen.”

We exited the plane and walked up the Jetway. We followed the signs to passport control and got in line. It didn’t take very long before it was our turn.

“Passports, please,” the uniformed officer asked.

I prompted Jesse and he handed over his passport.

“I’m Jesse Stephen Block! I’m visiting friends!” he said.

The officer smiled, “Hello, Jesse Stephen. Is this your dad?”

“Yes! His name is Stephen! The same as my middle name!”

I handed over my passport.

“How long will you be staying in Sweden, Mr. Adams?”

“About a week,” I said.

He flipped through the passports.

“You’ve been to Sweden before?”

“Many times. I had to renew my passport in 1984 after I’d been here four times.”

“Welcome back, Mr. Adams,” he said. “And welcome to Sweden, Jesse!”

He stamped our passports and handed them back. We collected our bags, put them on a cart, and then walked through the ‘Green’ line for customs to the arrivals hall.

“Steve!” I heard a very familiar, lilting Swedish voice call from across the hall.

I took Jesse’s hand and led him to where Karin was standing with Kristian. He was holding a cute, blonde, 3-year-old boy. Karin and I exchanged a tight hug and kisses on the cheek, then she knelt down.

“So this is what you were like at five!” she giggled. “Hello, Jesse! I’m Karin.”

“Hi!” he said. “You talk like me!”

“Jesse is worried about speaking Swedish,” I said, shaking hands with Kristian.

“I think we can manage in English! How was your flight?”

“No problems,” I said.

“Jesse, this is my son, Kjell,” Karin said.

“«Hej, Kjell! Hur mår du?»” Jesse said. (“Hi Kjell! How are you?”)

“Perfect!” I whispered.

We’d practiced that one phrase on the plane. It had taken thirty minutes to get it right, but Jesse was beaming now, which made it worth it. Kjell answered that he was fine, then reeled off a string of Swedish that Karin translated for Jesse.

“Let’s get to the car,” Kristian said. “Are you going to want to sleep?”

“No. The plan was to go to your in-laws apartment, then walk around Gamla Stan and Skansen. We’re still having dinner with them tonight?”

“Yes. Karin has your complete itinerary. I guess your friends from Göteborg and Östersund will be here tomorrow.”

“Sounds great!”

We headed to a Volvo station wagon that Karin had said they would be able to borrow to get us from the airport into the city.

July 5, 1991, Stockholm, Sweden

“«Hej, Steve!»” Lars Andersson said as we walked in. “«Hej, Jesse!»”

After greetings and introductions, Annika said to put my things in Birgit’s old room and Jesse’s in Karin’s while Lars talked with Jesse. I took our bags to the rooms, and paused, remembering everything that had happened in these two rooms over the years. I spent a couple of minutes reminiscing, and then went back out to the living room to join everyone.

“«Han är jätte söt!»” Annika said to me. (“He’s super cute!”)

I chuckled, “«Hans ego är lika stor som min!»” (“His ego is as big as mine!”)

She switched to English.

“Are you going to see Birgit while you’re here?” she asked.

“She’s at home! She’s not here!” Jesse said vehemently.

Back to Swedish.

“«Du har inte berättat om Birgit?»” Annika asked. (“You haven’t told him about Birgit?”)

I shook my head, “«Nej.»” (“No.”)

“Jesse,” Annika said softly, “Birgit was my daughter who loved your dad. She died long before you were born. Your sister is named for her.”

“Then how can we see her?” he asked, looking confused.

“I suppose that means we’ll take a walk by the cemetery,” I said.

“That won’t be a problem,” Karin said. “We have plenty of time to do that before we head to Gamla Stan and Skansen.”

About thirty minutes later, we arrived at the small churchyard where my first love had been buried thirteen years before. I had purchased flowers at the same small flower shop as I had during that first visit. I laid them on her grave, and stood quietly for a bit, while Karin told Jesse about Birgit, though the story was abbreviated. The thought passed through my mind; I wondered if Birgit - wherever she was - could see us and if I was closer to being the man she expected me to become. Quick flashes of happy memories passed by and I knew that someday I’d be having that same conversation with my daughter.

“Dad, she was supposed to be your wife?” Jesse asked as we walked back towards the Andersson’s apartment to catch the Tunnelbana to Gamla Stan.

“We thought so, Jesse. Mom One was sure that would happen.”

“Mom One knew her?”

“Yes. We all went to school in Milford, where Nicholas lives now.”

“‘Mom One’?” Kristian asked.

“Jennifer. His biological mother. Josie is ‘Mom Two’.”

“You have six kids now?” he asked.

“Seven by the end of next month!” I grinned.

“You lived in Sweden!” he laughed. “I’m sure you know about birth control!”

“If you were married to the two women he showed up with here five years ago, would YOU worry about birth control?” Karin teased her husband.

“Have you shown him a picture of Jennifer?” I chuckled.

“No!” Karin giggled. “We have some in Birgit’s old photo album. I don’t think there are any of Elyse.”

“No. We didn’t know her then,” I said.

We had a very nice afternoon and evening, and Jesse was running on pure adrenaline at the end. He finally collapsed about 9:30pm and I got him into bed in Karin’s old room, then rejoined the adults for another hour before I decided to hit the sack.

July 6, 1991, Stockholm, Sweden

True to my word to Jessica, I got up early to run before breakfast. I followed the same route I’d followed years before, though something led me to take a detour by the churchyard and stop for a few minutes at Birgit’s grave. I smiled, remembering our single, beautiful lovemaking session fourteen years earlier. With a smile, I turned to complete my run back to the Andersson’s apartment.

Later that morning, as each of my friends arrived, a ritual was repeated: hugs, handshakes, kisses, and introductions. First Tina Hoff and her boyfriend Nils arrived with their daughter Anna. Next were Torbjörn and Elizabeth, though she had left Lasse back in Göteborg. After them were Katt and Mikael, and finally Pia and her daughter Marta.

“I hope we’ll have some time to talk,” Pia said after we hugged.

“I think we can manage!” I said. “I’d love to catch up!”

Once everyone had assembled, we headed for Gröna Lund. We’d go on some rides, walk the park and have lunch there. Later, we’d head to a restaurant in Gamla Stan for dinner. The adults took turns translating for the kids, and they all seemed to simply take in stride that Jesse didn’t speak Swedish. After lunch, Mikael pulled me aside.

“Katt and I have been trying for a baby for two years,” he said. “She’s pretty bummed about it, though she won’t say anything to you.”

“Honestly, I didn’t notice. Is there a problem?”

“Probably me,” he said. “We’ve had a bunch of tests. One of the benefits of Swedish health care.”

“So will you adopt?” I asked.

“Katt really wants to have a baby of her own,” he said.

“Are there any treatments? I don’t know much about that kind of thing, despite being married to a doctor.”

“There are, but with very long waiting lists and the success rate isn’t that great.”

“So what will you do?”

“Katt suggested you help us,” Mikael said casually.

I choked on the sip I was taking from a bottle of Ramlösa.

“You OK?” he asked.

“Uh, yeah,” I said, clearing my throat.

“Will you at least think about it?” he asked. “It’s not as if you two haven’t been together.”

“Mikael, I’m really sorry, but I can’t even ask that question of Jessica. Four years ago a young woman showed up at my door claiming I’d fathered her daughter. It wasn’t true, and DNA tests proved that, but that led directly to Jessica leaving me and nearly throwing away her medical career. It’s a long story, but the bottom line is that I can’t even ask.”

He nodded grimly, “We had no idea! I’m really sorry!”

“It’s OK. I didn’t share that sordid story with anyone here. You’re the only one who knows. Jess was gone for four months. It’s taken three years of marriage counseling to get things where they are.”

“Wow! I thought you were living in paradise!”

I chuckled, “Most days, yes. Some days, no. How are things going otherwise?”

“Work keeps me busy. I like it, which helps a lot. And Katt’s skating school has been going really well. She has a pair of students who are competing for a spot on the Olympic team for next year in Albertville.”

“Wow! That’s fantastic! Make sure she lets me know who they are if they make it!”

“We will!”

We moved back to where the others were finishing their lunches, and then we walked around the park. I had a chance to talk to each of my friends. Everyone seemed to be doing really well, though Torbjörn groused good-naturedly about the fact that I’d managed to sleep with Elizabeth and he never had. He did have a girlfriend, though, and seemed very happy. Elizabeth was still with Lasse, and they were talking about having a baby.

Tina and Nils were very happy, but I knew just about everything about them because Tina and I still wrote each other every month without fail. Their daughter was just as cute as in the pictures she had sent, and Jesse noticed. He also noticed Marta, who was only a year younger than he was, and favored her mother.

“Mikael told me,” Katt said quietly. “I didn’t know.”

“Nobody here knew,” I said. “Jesse barely knew anything because he was only two. He just knew Jess was gone and came back. I kept the information about the paternity claim as quiet as I could, though I wasn’t totally successful.”

“So if it weren’t for that... ?”

I smiled, “I don’t play the ‘What if?’ game. Though I do have to say I certainly wouldn’t mind helping YOU make a baby!”

“We certainly practiced enough!” she giggled.

“What will you do?”

“Stay on the waiting list, of course. And we’ll apply for adoption, but there aren’t many kids available in Sweden. We don’t have the same problems you do in America.”

“I’m really sorry, Katt,” I said.

“Not as sorry as I am,” she sighed.

That evening, after a very nice dinner, everyone gathered at the Andersson’s apartment for drinks. After drinks, everyone said goodnight and said they would see us in the morning for breakfast. Pia hung back and asked if we could talk.

“I need to get Jesse to bed,” I said. “What about Marta?”

“If you don’t mind, I can put her down with Jesse.”

I chuckled, “It won’t be the first time Jesse has slept with a girl!”

“Like father, like son?” Pia laughed. “You still have some Swedish sensibilities!”

“I do,” I said.

We got the kids into bed, and then went to sit on the couch. Lars and Annika said goodnight and went to bed, no doubt at least in part to give us some privacy. Pia and I spoke in Swedish, as I prepared a pot of tea, then went to sit on the couch.

“You stopped writing after I got married,” I said after pouring some tea for each of us. “Why?”

“Life, I guess. I’m sorry.”

“When did you move back to Sweden?”

“About two years ago. Johan was transferred to Stockholm. He decided to bring his Dutch girlfriend with him. The one he started seeing before I moved to Amsterdam. The one I never knew about.”

“Not cool,” I said.

“No, not at all,” she sighed. “You were always honest with me about the other girls. I didn’t like it, but you didn’t lie about it. It was interesting to meet some of them today!”

“Jesse was so funny,” I said. “He wondered if I’d kissed all of the girls.”

“You did more than kiss them!” Pia laughed.

“For Jesse, ‘kissing’ means having sex, at least when he’s talking about adults!”

“Wait! You told your son you had sex with all these girls? And me?”

I nodded, “Jesse is well aware of my lifestyle and activities!”

“‘Lifestyle and activities’? What are you trying to tell me?”

“I’m married to Jessica and Kara, but I’m not exclusive with them.”

Pia laughed, “Two women isn’t enough for you? Seriously? And they’re OK with you fooling around on the side?”

“They gave me two boxes of condoms for my trip!” I smirked.

“I don’t believe it!”

“It’s true. I have two kids by Kara, one by Jessica with another one on the way. I also have two kids by Elyse, and we’re still together. Jesse’s mom is married to a woman.”

“That’s your friend Jennifer, right? The one who moved away, then went to a different university?”

“Yes.”

“They allow women to marry in the US? I didn’t realize!”

“They don’t,” I said. “Just as they don’t allow me to be married to two women. But none of us care what the government thinks about our relationships!”

She shook her head, “Your life has always been very, very strange. Are all your kids as precocious as your son?”

“Most of them are too little to know, but his sister, my eldest daughter, certainly is!”

“What’s her name?”

“Birgit,” I said.

She just stared at me for a moment, “Now THAT is weird. You named your daughter after your first lover?”

“Second, but yes.”

“This just keeps getting weirder by the moment!”

“You’ve missed a lot in the last ten years,” I said. “But I guess I have with you as well.”

“It would probably take all night to catch up,” she said.

“I don’t have any place to go! Though I suppose you need to get to your hotel.”

“It can wait. It’s not that late. Well, unless you want to go to bed.”

I couldn’t resist the opening.

“Is that an offer?” I said with a grin.

Pia cocked her head and just looked at me for a good minute.

“I’m not sure if I should be flattered or offended,” she finally replied.

“Sorry,” I said. “I was being flip. I shouldn’t have said that.”

She smiled, “Your eyes say something very different! They always did. From that first night I met you in Putte’s apartment.”

I looked away. I hadn’t wanted to convey that thought, though I’d certainly had it. Pia was just as beautiful at twenty-nine as she’d been at seventeen, though she was a woman now, not a teenage girl. I hadn’t meant to give offense, but it certainly seemed that I had.

“I really am sorry,” I said. “I had no business saying something like that to you.”

She smiled, “If it were an offer, you’d take me up on it, wouldn’t you?”

“Let’s just drop this, shall we? I didn’t mean to derail our conversation.”

“You didn’t answer my question!”

“It’s complicated,” I said.

“How so? Your wives gave you condoms and I’m on p-pillar. And you say you are allowed to fool around. So, answer the question!”

“Those two things serve the same purpose - birth control. It’s STDs my wife, the doctor, is worried about. And while condoms are helpful, they aren’t perfect.”

Pia sighed, “I had a test when I found out Johan was cheating on me. Marta had one, too. And do you want to know something sad? I haven’t been with anyone since then. And no blood transfusions.”

“If it’s none of my business, just say so. But why no sex for two years?”

“Marta keeps me busy, and so does work. And honestly, it took me some time to get over Johan.”

“He lives in Stockholm? Perhaps I should pay him a visit!”

Pia laughed, “He’s almost two meters tall!”

“And I’m a 3rd Dan black belt in karate,” I grinned.

“No way! Maybe I SHOULD give you his address, though I don’t think the Stockholm Police would be happy with the result.”

“Probably not!”

“Do you remember that first night in Helsingborg?”

“Of course! How could I forget?”

She smiled, “Do you think the Anderssons would mind if I asked if I could stay the night?”

I knew exactly what she was going for, and I remembered her response.

“No. Are you asking?”

“Yes. I’d like to stay!”

“I’d like that, too!” I replied, completing the sequence.

Pia took my hand and led me to my room, and shut the door behind us. I knew what would come next. A request to make love, using the same words I’d used on her thirteen years earlier. She did, and of course I said yes.

“Slow and soft? Like the first time?” I asked as I slid into her warm, silky tunnel.

“Oh yes,” she sighed.

July 7, 1991, Stockholm, Sweden

“You’ve gotten better,” Pia said as we showered together on Sunday morning. Pia had run with me, though I’d had to take a somewhat slower pace for her to keep up, as she usually ran a shorter distance.

“Good to know!” I chuckled. “Was it that bad the first time when we were teenagers?”

“No, of course not! Nor the second, or third, or hundredth! But there was something different, more intimate, last night. And that’s strange, because before you were my boyfriend, and now you’re, well, a one-night stand, I guess.”

“That almost sounds like regret,” I said, as I lathered shampoo in her hair.

“Only in that I have to go home this afternoon. Last night was beautiful. What lovemaking should be.”

“You could always take sick leave.”

“You would want me to stay? Really?”

“It’s up to you,” I said. “We can ask the Anderssons, but I’m sure they’ll say ‘yes’. I’ll get teased for sure, but they’ll say ‘yes’.”

“Let me think about it. I’ll tell you after our picnic lunch with all your friends.”

We finished in the shower, then went to wake Jesse and Marta. They were snuggled close together, and Jesse had his arm around Marta.

“So cute!” Pia gushed.

“They are. Jesse broke up with his girlfriend a few weeks ago.”

Pia laughed as we got the kids out of bed, and continued to speak Swedish to keep the conversation from Jesse.

“A girlfriend? At five?”

“They’ve been more or less steady since they were a year old! But she got mad because he hugged his other female friends. So he broke it off.”

“Oh come on!” Pia laughed. “You’re pulling my leg!”

“He’s my son,” I said with a silly smile on my face.

“God help us!” Pia laughed.

I took Jesse to the bathroom and helped him get into the shower. He did a pretty good job of washing, but since we were in a strange place, I stayed close.

“Dad?”

“Yes?”

“Did you kiss Pia last night?”

“Yes. I saw you snuggled with Marta, too!”

“I wish I could talk to her,” he said. “She said stuff last night but I don’t know what she said!”

“Maybe you can learn Swedish AND Russian,” I said.

“Russian! I want to talk to the soldiers!”

“Not girls?” I teased as he got out of the shower to dry off. “What about Lara?”

He giggled, “Tanya sent a picture. Lara is cute!”

“So girls are OK?”

“Yes! But not sisters!” he said, pulling on his shirt.

Given MY history, I wanted Jesse to be close to his sisters, but not as close as I had been to Stephanie. As the years went by, I saw just how disastrous that entire situation was. To call it a mistake was a trite answer to a complex problem, but it certainly had far-reaching ramifications that none of us had ever envisioned.

When Jesse finished dressing, Pia and Marta joined us to go to the kitchen for breakfast. Annika smiled at us and Lars rolled his eyes. He knew my situation because of all the drama with Karin over the years, and was well aware of my relationship with the various women in my life. After all, I did have children by four different women.

“I see nothing has changed,” Lars said in Swedish as we sat down.

“Would you expect otherwise?” I asked with a slight smile.

“No, I suppose not!”

“Do you mind if Pia stays another night? Or perhaps two?”

“No, of course not. On one condition. You tell me your secret!”

Annika playfully swatted her husband on the arm and they both laughed.

“I don’t think my black belt would help me if I did that and your wife found out!”

“No, I am sure that it wouldn’t!” he agreed.

“Dad? Can you talk English? Please?” Jesse asked.

“Sorry, Jesse,” Lars said. “Yes, we’ll speak English. We were rude.”

After breakfast, I called home using the phone in the bedroom for a bit of privacy. Birgit and Matthew both insisted on talking to me, so Kara put them on the phone first. After I spoke to them, Kara put the phone on speaker so I could talk to both of them.

“Having a good time?” Jessica asked.

“I am. Everyone was here yesterday like we planned. We had a great time. And Jesse had an overnight guest!”

My wives laughed.

“Which means so did you, Tiger! It had to be Pia because I believe everyone else has a boyfriend.”

“Maybe it was Torbjörn!” I chuckled.

“RIIIGGHTT!” Jessica laughed.

“Yes, it was Pia. Marta slept with Jesse in his bed. He’s a bit annoyed because he can’t talk to her without a translator. He’ll have the same issue in St. Petersburg with Lara.”

“I’m glad you’re having a good time!” Kara said. “What are you doing today?”

“A picnic lunch with all our friends, then a quiet dinner with Karin and Kristian at their place.”

“And now you have a date?”

“Maybe. Pia would have to call in sick. She was planning to take the last train home tonight with Torbjörn and Elizabeth. Katt, Mikael, Tina, Nils, and Anna will board a train for Östersund right after lunch.”

“Did Mikael offer to share Katt with you again?” Kara giggled.

He had, but not in the way Kara meant. And that was dangerous ground on which to tread.

“He knows better!” I said, trying to deflect that line of questioning.

“What did I miss?” Jessica asked.

“Nothing,” I said. “You know about me and Katt. Mikael has always made it clear that he had no problems if I was with her. But you know my rule. And so does he. Anything going on at home?”

“Not really. The party was fun, and everyone missed you. Francesca was looking for Jesse.”

“She’s wasting her time,” I said. “Jesse and I talked a lot on the plane and he isn’t going to change his mind.”

“He has too much of his dad in him!” Jessica said.

“And I don’t have enough of his dad in ME right now!” Kara giggled.

“Shush, you hussy!” Jessica teased. “You can go two weeks without him.”

“How are you feeling, Jess?”

“Fine. I’ll make the next five weeks, but I’m glad I decided to start maternity leave on the 10th!”

“I love you both, but I need to go before we run up the phone bill too much! I’ll call you on Tuesday evening your time.”

They told me they loved me and we hung up. I went back to join the others for a morning of conversation and tea, before we had to head to the park for the picnic. I was carrying a basket that Annika had prepared for us, and holding hands with Pia, and Jesse and Marta were holding hands.

“What do you think? Ten years from now?” Pia asked in Swedish.

“But he has so many girls to choose from!” I teased.

“Dad!” Jesse said, obviously annoyed that we were speaking Swedish again.

“Sorry, Jesse. Remember, sometimes adults need to talk privately. And we can do it without leaving you!”

“But Marta knows! Only I don’t!”

“He has a point,” Pia said.

“Yes, Jesse, you’re right. I promise we’ll be more careful. But you know we need to speak Swedish to the other kids. None of them speak English.”

“Uh, yes,” he agreed reluctantly.

At the picnic, it was a mix of Swedish and English, though mostly English. Jesse seemed to have a good time with Marta, Anna, and Kjell despite the language barrier. Running around like a maniac didn’t depend on being able to communicate verbally! It dawned on me that Jesse was missing his usual hockey practice, which meant he had plenty of spare energy to burn. I’d need to make sure he got outside to run around for at least a few minutes every day on the trip.

When the picnic ended, the goodbyes took a good twenty minutes, with hugs, kisses, handshakes, and promises to keep in touch. That hadn’t been an issue with this group over the years, so I was sure those promises would be kept. Katt took me aside just before they left. She put her arms around me and pulled me to her.

“I’m sorry we put you in a bad predicament with our request,” she said.

“You didn’t know. I wasn’t upset. I actually wish I could help. Hopefully the fertility treatments will be successful.”

“Hopefully. You have no idea how much we miss you.”

“Then come visit! You’re welcome at our house any time. I mean that!”

“Maybe we will. Is Katy still living with you?”

“No. She’s in Vermont, running a bed-and-breakfast. She had a bit of scare with a small fire at her place, but everything is OK now. I’m sure she’d love to see you, and she’d love to have the world-famous ice dancers, Mikael Westburg and Katt Sundström, stay at her place!”

“I’ll talk to Mikael about a holiday in the States! I’d love to see the rest of your kids!”

We exchanged a tight hug and a relatively chaste kiss, though Katt had strains of Melanie Spencer when it came to kisses. We broke the embrace, and went back to where everyone else was. One more round of ‘goodbyes’ and our visitors headed for the train station, while Karin, Kristian, and Kjell walked with Pia, the kids, and me back to the Anderssons’ apartment.

“I’ll be staying,” Pia said. “Until Wednesday. You leave for Russia on Thursday, right?”

“Yes. And I’m glad you’re staying,” I said, slipping my arm around her.

Chapter 6 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.