A Mercenary's Tale - Cover

A Mercenary's Tale

Copyright© 2018 by 2 flags

Chapter 14

It was a busy time for them. The goods were transferred, and preparations made for the early start. Nathaniel looked back at his caravan as it made it’s way out of the town. It was the biggest caravan he had ever led. He watched as the guards marched along side the column, they were the smartest, most alert guards he had ever seen. Horsemen rode up at down acting as outriders. He had to admit it did look impressive.

They travelled for three days. Each day they made good progress, the mood was buoyant After three days it was time to stop to check for damage and make repairs. Everyone was pleased with how things were going. Donald rode up and down checking on the guards. He was pleased with how they looked. He’d had only had a week to train them. He had stayed with spear and shield. They had continued to train each evening. He would launch mock attacks on the caravan. His men would form their defensive positions and drive the attacks off. Samuel was a godsend to him. His former mentor was instrumental in training his old town guard as well as all those within the merchant and support group. They were in danger of becoming competent. Each time they stopped, the locals would come out. Some came to gawk at the spectacle, others to trade. Each of the merchants would vie with his companions for the trade.

It was in one of these unnamed villages that the first of the farmers had joined. He had seen the caravan arrive and asked if he might join with his wife and children. They were going to Corvale but were concerned about bandits. Nathaniel thought about it, then charged them a shilling. They gladly paid, knowing they would arrive safely.

“You know, Donald, I believe that even if a man had no cargo he could still scrape a living, just going about the countryside offering protection to the peasants taking their goods to market.”

“Yes, but if the lords really had the interests of the people at heart, they would run regular patrols and eradicate the problem once an for all. These are hard working men and women who simply wish to sell their surplus produce. However, with the risks they run just to get to the next town ... well, it’s just not worth it. ‘Tis better to let it rot in the storehouse than risk death or worse just to sell a few sacks of grain or a couple of cows.”

Nathaniel had to agree.

They arrived in Corvale. It was a large and prosperous town bordering the river Cor. It was surrounded on three sides by high stout walls and a deep water filled moat. There were three gates into the town. The fourth side was defended by the river. There was a ferry service that ran across to the far bank. Docks, wharves and warehouses lined the bank. The town’s prosperity stemmed from the caravan trade. There was also some waterborne trade but this was limited as there were rapids down stream that made it unnavigable. No one as yet had come up with a solution.

They entered through the northern gate. They made a fine sight in their surcoats, marching in step with their shields and spears. They made their way to the caravan quarter and were soon settled in. The farmer and his family thanked them and departed. There were secure warehouses to rent, and stables for the animals. The goods were soon locked away, and the animals cared for. It was possible to allow half the men leave to enjoy themselves in the taverns and brothels within the town. They would stay for three days. It was a time for resupply and for any needed repairs to be carried out. As always on these stops there would be a good deal of trading. Some merchants would sell their southern bound goods and buy good required up north. They would then join a northern bound caravan, preferring a quick profit that to carry on with the dangerous journey south. On this journey however very few chose to leave, several of the northern bound merchants upon hearing of the events occurring and the possibility of war decided to sell what they could, and return home. The local merchants had a field day. Nathaniel’s caravan grew even larger.

It was on the second day that their company’s reputation was given a substantial boost. Henrietta decided that she and her girls, Eleanor and Tabitha needed some new dresses. David and Simon offered to accompany them They had made their way to the cloth merchants and made their selections. They were making their way back, with David and Simon carrying their purchases, when five drunken guards from another company staggered out of a tavern.

“Well well, what have we here?” exclaimed one of them. “Three beauties just ripe for the taking. Didn’t anyone tell you it’s not safe around here? Well I’m sure we’ll be able to take good care of you, yes very good care indeed!” The others laughed at this.

“Please, let us pass,” Henrietta pleaded.

“Oh, we will, once we’ve had a good feel of those lovely titties of yours ... and the other two. I bet you could do with a good fuck, as well. We can certainly supply that! You don’t think those two boys you have with you can stop us, do you? Go on, boys, run back to your mothers before you get hurt.”

Simon nodded to David. They dropped the cloth on the ground, revealing their staves. They both swung, smashing the knees of the braggart. He screamed and fell to the ground, both kneecaps shattered. The other four drew their swords and started to move towards them. Simon and David worked as a team, each protecting the other. One of the men seemed to be faster the his comrades, and he attacked first. Simon blocked his swing while David hit the man in the belly. As he folded forward Simon hit him on the back of the head. He fell senseless to the ground.

The other three attacked. They fared no better. David and Simon ducked to the outside and hit the outer two across the knees. They screamed and fell to the ground. As they both received blows to the back of the head, they did not get up. The last one faced off against David. He seemed to ignore Simon. David blocked his blows while Simon moved behind the man. He brought his stave up as hard as he could, catching the man squarely in the balls. The man’s eyes seemed to cross and lose focus. His knees buckled and he fell to the ground. David swung his staff, connecting with his head. He did not rise. Simon went over to the first man that had attacked them.

“We are from Nathaniel’s Honourable Caravan Guards. We do not rape, we do not steal, and we do not pillage. We are honourable men. We also ensure that others do not rape!” Simon stated, and brought his staff crashing onto the man’s genitals.

The man screamed, rolled onto his side, and threw up.

Simon and David picked up the bolts of cloth they had dropped. “I’m sorry, we seemed to have allowed these to become dirty.”

“Not to worry. I’m sure it will brush out. Thank you for protecting us. It was very brave,” Henrietta told them.

“It was nothing. There was no way we were going to let anything happen to the most beautiful women we have ever seen,” David said, looking at Eleanor.

“That’s right, I’d never let anything happen to you,” Simon echoed, looking at Tabitha

Th girls looked at their mother who smiled. They then proceeded to kiss their chosen saviour on the cheek.

“Thank you for saving us. It was the bravest thing we ever saw,” Eleanor told them.

“Yes, it was” echoed Tabitha.

The two young men’s chests swelled with pride. They seemed to grow at least two inches as the girls took their arms as the made their way back to the caravan.

The news of their exploits soon ran around the camp. Donald came over and asked for an explanation. Henrietta told him what happened.

“Five drunken men tried to assault us. They wanted to rape us. Simon and David stopped them. Those young men made quite an impression on my girls. I must admit I have never seen such bravery. They never hesitated for a moment. Those two took on five of them. They only had staves, the others had swords! Then they apologised for getting the cloth dirty! They are two young men to be proud of!”

“That they are,” Donald smiled.

It was a little later that the girl’s brother and father came over to them.

“I wish to thank you, personally, for saving my wife and daughter. They cannot stop talking about how brave you were. I understand you defeated five of them with only your staves. Remarkable. Robert and I were wondering if you would care to dine with us, tonight, and also if you would teach us a few moves as well. It would be a useful skill to master.”

“We would be delighted to both dine with you and to teach you how to defend yourselves with a stave. We could teach your wives and daughters at the same time. Imagine the surprise of a bandit who suddenly had his head staved in by a girl!”

“That’s one of my advantages. They see a boy, they do not see an opponent. I like to surprise them,” Simon told them.

“I’m sure you do,” laughed Gordon.

Nathaniel smiled at the man in front of him. “What do you intend to do about it? Five good men taken out! Three of them may never walk again! Where am I to find the men to replace them?” the man ranted.

Donald, hearing the commotion came over.

“Is there a problem?” he asked

The man turned on him and snapped, “Who are you?”

Nathaniel intervened as he said, “Allow me to introduce Sir Donald, my guard’s captain. Sir Donald, allow me to introduce Ishmael. He is a caravan master. The men that were involved in the incident this morning are his guards.”

“Do they live?” Donald asked

“Yes, they do, no thanks to your men. They will take some time to recover.”

“Pity. Did they tell you what they attempted to do?” he demanded as he glared at the man.

The man looked properly at Donald for the first time. He saw the look on Donald’s face and swallowed hard.

“Well, they said they got into a fight over a misunderstanding. They didn’t seem inclined to go into details.”

“They wished to rape and assault three members of our party. The two young men stopped them. Let them count themselves fortunate. Had I been there I would have gelded them, then gutted them. I cannot abide rapists.”

Donald spoke slowly and quietly. The man blanched at his words.

“Yes but still...”

“The men that attacked our women, how old were they? How were they armed? My men ... one, a boy, really ... were armed with staves. One young man and a boy, armed with sticks, took out five of your guards. You don’t train your men very well, do you? Listen, for I will only tell you once. We are Nathaniel’s Honourable Caravan Guards. We do not rape. We do not rob. We do not break our word. If any man tries to attack any of our women in the future, I will personally geld him. Do you understand? Go and tell your men to leave all the women in peace. If they wish to visit a whorehouse, fine. If they try to attack a woman or girl in the street, I will geld them. One of the women they tried to attack is only thirteen! She’s barely more than a child, herself. Your men can count themselves lucky they still breathe.”

The man stood there in horror at this. He looked at the man in front of him. He was in no doubt he would do exactly as he promised. Just then Henrietta and her daughters came by.

“Henrietta, a moment please. Allow me to introduce Ishmael. It was his men that tried to attack you today.”

Henrietta glared at him and said, “Thank goodness for David and Simon. They were the ones who fought off those brutes who tried to rape us. I hope you punish them severely.”

“They were so brave,” said Tabitha, “especially Simon.”

“They were amazing! They only had staves. There were five of those men, you know! I hope they suffer for what they tried to do!” Eleanor told him.

Ishmael looked at the three women in front of him. These were no tavern whores. They reminded him of his own wife and family!

“I will ensure these men are properly punished. I apologise to you and your daughters for any suffering caused.”

“So I should think. If they had managed to attack us, well I shudder to think what the consequences would have been.”

Ishmael looked at the woman then looked at Donald standing next to him. If two of these could take out five of his, using just staves at that, he could imagine that the consequences would have been disastrous, for him at least. He turned to Nathaniel.

“I’m sorry for any unpleasantness, today. Now I mustn’t take up any more of you time. Good day to you all.”

With that he nodded to each of them and left.

“I don’t think we will have any more trouble, here, do you?” Donald said. They all laughed.

That evening Simon and David were the envy of the entire camp. They got to have dinner with two of the most beautiful girls most of them had ever seen. They both sat with stupid grins on their faces as the two girls fussed over them as they served them. Gordon and Henrietta smiled as both boys sang Donald’s praises. Henrietta asked Simon how he had met Sir Donald. He told her about his life as a stable boy, of how his mother had died and about Felix. How Donald had killed him, then taken possession of Felix’s farm. Of how he had freed the slaves and returned the goods to their owners and how he had rented the farm for a shilling a year to it’s former owners. Henrietta thought her heart would break when he told them that his mother was the town whore, how she died and how all alone he was. She could see why he idolised Donald. He was the first man that had shown him any interest. She could see that he would emulate him as much as possible. This he had already shown by his actions.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.